regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-apple-iphone-ipad-2020-10

Well that is one way around Apple's app store :D

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

I hope the browser support is not limited to IOS.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I though they settled that?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pedro

@Ant_17 said:

I though they settled that?

I thought so to but I guess they still believed they needed another option.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

MS is doing a lot of things while Sony does what? Charges for an upgrade of a game that just came out 2 years ago.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Kept telling everyone don't poke the bear but did anyone listen? Nooooo! lol :P

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Kept telling everyone don't poke the bear but did anyone listen? Nooooo! lol :P

yep and I see nothing preventing other app developers from using HTML5 and developing their games entirely for a web browser and all microtransactions are done through their own website

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Amazon are already doing the same thing with Luna. Amazon would have had the iOS market all to themselves had Microsoft not responded. The fact they're moving quickly to do this is a sign they think the threat is serious.

Another sign Microsoft bought Bethesda primarily to compete with Amazon, not Sony.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@madrocketeer: Fun fact Bethesda was almost bought by EA until Microsoft stepped in.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Still wouldn't use it. Ipad for work mostly.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 madrocketeer

@BlackShirt20:

And EA have their own subscription and cloud gaming services, so it would have made sense for them too.

That said, now that EA are joining their subscription service with Game Pass, it appears they are switching to seeking a partnership with Microsoft rather competing with them. I don't think it's just Microsoft who fears the arrival of Google and Amazon.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Windows PC too, I hope

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@Heil68 said:

Windows PC too, I hope

Yep! But, I believe it would have a dedicated app.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Heil68 said:

Windows PC too, I hope

Yep! But, I believe it would have a dedicated app.

Will be odd seeing an apple dedicated app in Windows store? I haven't seen what's there recently, so it could be "normal"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro

@Heil68 said:

Will be odd seeing an apple dedicated app in Windows store? I haven't seen what's there recently, so it could be "normal"

No! I meant they will have a dedicated app for Windows for Game Streaming.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BlackShirt20

@madrocketeer: I think MS is so far ahead as far as a streaming service. It was vital for them to start as early as they did. Otherwise Xbox could have died.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 madrocketeer
@BlackShirt20 said:

@madrocketeer: I think MS is so far ahead as far as a streaming service. It was vital for them to start as early as they did. Otherwise Xbox could have died.

Yeah, Microsoft have been preparing for this for a long time. It's as much about defending their turf as entering a new market. I'm sure they breathed a sigh of relief when Google flopped out with a baffling business model and making publishers port their games to Linux, but Amazon looks to be learning from those mistakes, and taking on Game Pass head-on and running their games on Windows servers.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BlackShirt20

@girlusocrazy: It’s not really debatable. Xbox is far ahead as far as a streaming service. Even though XCloud is in beta and not officially released. It is so far ahead by the simple fact Xbox has Game Pass and 23 Game Developers working on games for Xbox, Game Pass, X Cloud. The idea your games you buy on Xbox can be played on Xcloud as well as Game Pass is a huge advantage. Especially with the footprint Xbox will have/has.

So, yeah. It was important for Xbox to move on this as early as they did and now with Bethesda in their pocket, it’s a huge win. Sony is gonna have to come up with something as well.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Amazon are already doing the same thing with Luna. Amazon would have had the iOS market all to themselves had Microsoft not responded. The fact they're moving quickly to do this is a sign they think the threat is serious.

Another sign Microsoft bought Bethesda primarily to compete with Amazon, not Sony.

Amazon will struggle. They're big and powerful, but getting the games and exclusives to differentiate themselves will be trickier for them. And without decent exclusives to their service, they have nothing unique. Sony and MS could swoop in with PS Now and Gamepass anytime and gobble up their market share near any time.

I think Sony are foolish in not promoting PS Now more. I have it on the PC, more people should try it too.

As for what you said at the end, I think Gamepass is MSs focus now. And this is the point of the Series S, an affordable way to get the most out of Gamepass. I think if MS market it right so people understand it as a Gamepass companion, it could be sell a lot to a certain type of gamer. But if they continue not to market the Series S, it's clear people don't get it and it could go the way of the Wii U.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Epic purposefully trying to weaponize their fan-base with preemptive false propaganda attempting to present these billion dollar companies who view you as nothing more than a resource to be harvested as some Robin Hood helping the unassuming fellow of the world was nothing short of risible masturbatory nonsense.

Hope Apple fucks them all.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By madrocketeer
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Amazon will struggle. They're big and powerful, but getting the games and exclusives to differentiate themselves will be trickier for them. And without decent exclusives to their service, they have nothing unique. Sony and MS could swoop in with PS Now and Gamepass anytime and gobble up their market share near any time.

I think Sony are foolish in not promoting PS Now more. I have it on the PC, more people should try it too.

As for what you said at the end, I think Gamepass is MSs focus now. And this is the point of the Series S, an affordable way to get the most out of Gamepass. I think if MS market it right so people understand it as a Gamepass companion, it could be sell a lot to a certain type of gamer. But if they continue not to market the Series S, it's clear people don't get it and it could go the way of the Wii U.

I think both Google and Amazon are in something of a toe-dipping mode right now, but we've seen this same lull before the storm in the video streaming market. If game streaming begins to take off, you'll see the same mad rush for acquisitions and exclusivity deals.

And that's why I said Microsoft bought Bethesda to ward off Amazon, not compete with Sony. Sony is valued at around $45 billion, while Microsoft is valued at over $1 trillion. Microsoft could have signed exclusive deals like Sony did with FF16 and such and get much of the same result for much less money. The only reason Microsoft would go all-out and buy Bethesda outright is because they fear someone else might do it first. Sony would struggle to buy Bethesda, but it would be chump change for fellow trillion-dollar companies Amazon, Google and Apple. Microsoft are not waiting around to see if game streaming takes off; they're getting ready for it.

Absolutely, the Bethesda acquisition is about Game Pass stuffing - they're not even waiting for the acquisition to be completed to put Doom Eternal on Game Pass. Microsoft's goal is to be the Netflix of gaming, and the keys to the Netflix model is scaling and content portfolio. This is why expanding accessibility, such as through budget hardware and uncoupling the software from the hardware through streaming, makes sense in the context of this goal.

I think Sony are hedging their bets, such as cooperating with Microsoft on streaming and beginning to port some games to PC, but are rather stuck in a comfortable status quo right now. Again, a $45 billion company would struggle to match the resources of trillion-dollar juggernauts in pursuit of scaling, but they do, however, have the content portfolio. I don't expect them to compete head-on; less Netflix of gaming and more like... ...HBO.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#24 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Sony needs ps now to do better 2 million subscribers on a 120+ million user base is pathetic. They need to put 1st party exclusives in there more often possibly 6-12 months after release.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@madrocketeer said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

I think both Google and Amazon are in something of a toe-dipping mode right now, but we've seen this same lull before the storm in the video streaming market. If game streaming begins to take off, you'll see the same mad rush for acquisitions and exclusivity deals.

And that's why I said Microsoft bought Bethesda to ward off Amazon, not compete with Sony. Sony is valued at around $45 billion, while Microsoft is valued at over $1 trillion. Microsoft could have signed exclusive deals like Sony did with FF16 and such and get much of the same result for much less money. The only reason Microsoft would go all-out and buy Bethesda outright is because they fear someone else might do it first. Sony would struggle to buy Bethesda, but it would be chump change for fellow trillion-dollar companies Amazon, Google and Apple. Microsoft are not waiting around to see if game streaming takes off; they're getting ready for it.

Absolutely, the Bethesda acquisition is about Game Pass stuffing - they're not even waiting for the acquisition to be completed to put Doom Eternal on Game Pass. Microsoft's goal is to be the Netflix of gaming, and the keys to the Netflix model is scaling and content portfolio. This is why expanding accessibility, such as through budget hardware and uncoupling the software from the hardware through streaming, makes sense in the context of this goal.

I think Sony are hedging their bets, such as cooperating with Microsoft on streaming and beginning to port some games to PC, but are rather stuck in a comfortable status quo right now. Again, a $45 billion company would struggle to match the resources of trillion-dollar juggernauts in pursuit of scaling, but they do, however, have the content portfolio. I don't expect them to compete head-on; less Netflix of gaming and more like... ...HBO.

Personally, while I think services like Gamepass are the future, I don't feel like game streaming is the future.

Your online experice would have to be high performance and nearly completely reliable all the time. While we all use the net, even at it's best it's not highly reliable 24/7. And these service would require both the servers and the ISPs be highly reliable to millions of gamers all the time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@HalcyonScarlet: This is why its complementary and not standalone. It's the main advantage Xbox has at the moment.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Can’t imagine that providing a positive user experience. Cloud gaming already has enough of a poor reputation and any technological shortcomings will only further sour the initiative.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By madrocketeer
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Personally, while I think services like Gamepass are the future, I don't feel like game streaming is the future.

Your online experice would have to be high performance and nearly completely reliable all the time. While we all use the net, even at it's best it's not highly reliable 24/7. And these service would require both the servers and the ISPs be highly reliable to millions of gamers all the time.

Yeah, I agree that streaming is not THE future - I just think streaming is A part of the future. Which is why ultimately, I think Microsoft have the right approach and will ultimately win on this; they're treating streaming as a supplementary service to, not a replacement for, local hardware gaming. That's where I think it will always be.

That said, Amazon are trying to compensate for that through a more attractive business model, and should mount a sterner incursion than Google did. Microsoft are obviously trying to avoid complacency, as they should.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

safari is the new ie. they've got their work cut out

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BlackShirt20

@girlusocrazy: it’s not debatable. Again, it’s in beta. And they have confirmed your entire Xbox library will be available.