MS: Please support the ESRAM even though we are abandoning it. . . (Scorpio white papers reveal the sad truth)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#251 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69864 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

You didn't have to be rude with the pic. But thank you for the answer.

@Pedro said:

The replacement RAM is supposedly faster so it means nothing for older games that used ESRAM. Most likely a virtual partition will be used. As for it running PC games.

Rude? Thats my "I doh know" gif.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@Pedro: Well, anyway, thank you again. Have a nice day.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#253 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20131 Posts

@Pedro said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

You didn't have to be rude with the pic. But thank you for the answer.

@Pedro said:

The replacement RAM is supposedly faster so it means nothing for older games that used ESRAM. Most likely a virtual partition will be used. As for it running PC games.

Rude? Thats my "I doh know" gif.

Looks like she's saying "duuuhh" lool

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 Zero_epyon

No one doubts that scorpio will be better than the PS4 pro. The question is, how much better? The DF article mentions a technique called sparse rendering which is MS' version of checkerboard rendering. They also mention that the whitepaper discusses options for developers to use half resolution rendering on shadows and ambient occlusion and others. So what I expect to see is how well does MS' 4K rendering techniques fare against Sony's. So we may have a situation where we'll see few native 4K titles, although there may be more of these on scorpio than Ps4.

Also, as per Spencer's quote, they were developing scorpio two and a half years ago from Oct of last year. So it was being designed just a few months after Xbox One released. What do you guys think is the likelihood that what they settled on was zen/vega that long ago?

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#255 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@reduc_ab_: Xbox uses virtual addressing anyway therefore there should be no problem remapping ESRAM addresses to regular ram at the OS level.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@xhawk27 said:

Phil said they are not using Jaguar CPU that is in the PS4 pro you idiots.

Are you talking about this?

http://digiworthy.com/2016/10/10/phil-spencer-xbox-scorpio-not-use-amd-jaguar/

Here's the quote

About two and a half years ago we started to look at a hardware refresh that we might want to do, which in the end led to the Xbox One S and Scorpio in terms of designs. We’d looked at doing something that was higher performance this year, and I’d say the [PS4] Pro is about what we thought–with the GPU, CPU, memory that was here this year–that you could go do, and we decided that we wanted to do something different.

So we looked at Scorpio and 4K and what I thought was a bigger step in terms of performance. It was something that we wanted to focus on.

He wasn't very specific so once again we're speculating off of vague comments and claims. He could have meant bigger ram, faster jaguar faster gpu. Not necessarily different components all together. I mean, isn't the Xbox One using DDR3 and Scorpio using GDDR5? PS4 Pro uses GDDR5 as well but the scorpio will have faster ram and potentially more of it. But it's still GDDR5.

The PS4 Pro has some bottleneck issues from a 4.2 Tflop Gpu so Microsoft can't be stupid enough to think a 6tflop Gpu isn't going to need a more powerful Cpu. They should either Cancel it or Delay it to use Zen.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Wait, so not power doesn't matter when for the last 2 years since the PS4 and X1 was released, all you'll dribbled about everyday all day was the power difference between the two. LMAO.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

What ever happened to gamers calling themselves gamers LOL. What is this whole dumb argument about being a manticore, is that even a thing LOL.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Zero_epyon

@xhawk27 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@xhawk27 said:

Here's the quote

About two and a half years ago we started to look at a hardware refresh that we might want to do, which in the end led to the Xbox One S and Scorpio in terms of designs. We’d looked at doing something that was higher performance this year, and I’d say the [PS4] Pro is about what we thought–with the GPU, CPU, memory that was here this year–that you could go do, and we decided that we wanted to do something different.

So we looked at Scorpio and 4K and what I thought was a bigger step in terms of performance. It was something that we wanted to focus on.

He wasn't very specific so once again we're speculating off of vague comments and claims. He could have meant bigger ram, faster jaguar faster gpu. Not necessarily different components all together. I mean, isn't the Xbox One using DDR3 and Scorpio using GDDR5? PS4 Pro uses GDDR5 as well but the scorpio will have faster ram and potentially more of it. But it's still GDDR5.

The PS4 Pro has some bottleneck issues from a 4.2 Tflop Gpu so Microsoft can't be stupid enough to think a 6tflop Gpu isn't going to need a more powerful Cpu. They should either Cancel it or Delay it to use Zen.

Using Zen would increase the price while increasing the time it takes to release the system. Why do that when you can use "Sparse Rendering" and half resolution rendering, which they're preparing devs for, to get similar results while keeping the cost down?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Zero_epyon

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Wait, so not power doesn't matter when for the last 2 years since the PS4 and X1 was released, all you'll dribbled about everyday all day was the power difference between the two. LMAO.

Who's saying that? Like I just said, no one is saying it won't be more powerful and that it won't matter. Scorpio will benefit 1080p games more than the Pro and will likely have more native 4K games than Pro as well. I think the reason people made it a point to bring up the power difference before the revisions was because at launch the PS4 was more powerful than the Xbox One while being a whole $100 cheaper.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

But but but we were promised by the Lems this would be a 4k native juggernaut. I was told I was a rabid cow hater for saying 6 TFlops would not be enough.

Wat happen? Can a lemming please explain? My feeble Cow brain cannot handle the alternative facts.

LMAOOOO I'm dead. TLHBO

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Douevenlift_bro

@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:

Microsoft at E3 2016: We are releasing a 6TF machine

Digital Foundry 01/24/2017: Microsoft is releasing a 6TF machine

Sony Fans: Bahahahahaha....you Xbox fans are getting a 6TF machine

Xbox Fans: We are getting a 6TF machine

Sony Fans:

Wasn't it you that made the 8TF thread? lol

It sure was that clown lol

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Douevenlift_bro

@daredevils2k said:
@silversix_ said:
@kvally said:

^that's me finger banging that chick right now.

the only thing you're finger banging is a poster of your Xbox One

LMAO /thread

OWNED to the MAX.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#264 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

This thread blew up all over the cows faces lmao

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#265  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Douevenlift_bro: ah yes insults. The sign of your defeat. LOL REKT

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#266 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50: I know! I am starting to truly feel sorry for the Sony fans. Almost in charitable way.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#267  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9735 Posts

Interesting leak. There's salt going on in this thread.

http://wccftech.com/xbox-scorpio-new-specs-leak-confirm-six-teraflops-gpu-esram-gone-gpu-architecture-modern-amd-polaris/

Loading Video...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@Shewgenja: Did you read and understand the article no of course not. This is what I have come to expect from you. Anyway the scorpio is more powerful than the ps4 pro deal with it. In other news water is wet and the sky is blue.

That was never ever a point of contention even once. Ya'll were the ones saying that the Scorpio was going to be a true 4k console. Every single one of you think you're going to take pot shots at an argument that was never made. Face it, from now on, ya'll have to act realistic about this thing rather than putting it up on a pedestal of impossible proportions.

I won. I have been one of only a hand-full of posters saying that 6 TFlops would not do the trick or put your console impossibly beyond what the PS4 Pro does. You're going to have to learn to deal with that. This isn't 1080p vs 900p all over again. It will be a consistently sub-4k system versus a slightly less consistently 4k system and as the generation unfolds and PC cards get more powerfful the difference will only shrink.

You better hope MS has games lined up for this. The power difference, in terms of what is needed for 4k gaming, isn't going to be swinging any heads. My one and only reason for posting this thread was to put an end to the bullshitting and in those terms, it is an overwhelming success. The best part being that XBox One and S-Model owners will be getting completely effed over with this upgrade if the Scorpio proves to be the more popular model since developers will not sweat bullets to make the ESRam work for them. Doubly so, considering the tiled rendering and other sub-4k native techniques with the game engine are better assurances for what will certainly be the least popular model if PS4 Pro sales are anything to judge the prospects of Scorpio by.

Checkmate. Yes, I do understand what the article is saying. DO YOU? Your precious Scorpio is not too tall for the Gen 8 ride. Sorry not sorry.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:

@Shewgenja: Did you read and understand the article no of course not. This is what I have come to expect from you. Anyway the scorpio is more powerful than the ps4 pro deal with it. In other news water is wet and the sky is blue.

That was never ever a point of contention even once. Ya'll were the ones saying that the Scorpio was going to be a true 4k console. Every single one of you think you're going to take pot shots at an argument that was never made. Face it, from now on, ya'll have to act realistic about this thing rather than putting it up on a pedestal of impossible proportions.

I won. I have been one of only a hand-full of posters saying that 6 TFlops would not do the trick or put your console impossibly beyond what the PS4 Pro does. You're going to have to learn to deal with that. This isn't 1080p vs 900p all over again. It will be a consistently sub-4k system versus a slightly less consistently 4k system and as the generation unfolds and PC cards get more powerfful the difference will only shrink.

You better hope MS has games lined up for this. The power difference, in terms of what is needed for 4k gaming, isn't going to be swinging any heads. My one and only reason for posting this thread was to put an end to the bullshitting and in those terms, it is an overwhelming success. The best part being that XBox One and S-Model owners will be getting completely effed over with this upgrade if the Scorpio proves to be the more popular model since developers will not sweat bullets to make the ESRam work for them. Doubly so, considering the tiled rendering and other sub-4k native techniques with the game engine are better assurances for what will certainly be the least popular model if PS4 Pro sales are anything to judge the prospects of Scorpio by.

Checkmate. Yes, I do understand what the article is saying. DO YOU? Your precious Scorpio is not too tall for the Gen 8 ride. Sorry not sorry.

Digital Foundry did a little bit(alot) of word play with this article. The mention of Checker Board Rendering was for developers who did not want to devote all of the compute power to rendering in 4k. They reiterated the fact that they will not put a resolution minimum on developers and they go on to list techniques for developers that want to use the compute for different graphic effects. Forza was already mentioned to be running at 4k on Scorpio. This white paper is actually old, and it is strange for them to write an article about it at this time. The idea that it will primarly use checker board and that it is only a up clocked CPU is pure speculation on the part of DF.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#270  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

People care more about specifications than playing games; a sad reality of the entire generation.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Fact if they were going to use parts already out now, why are they waiting for Holiday 2017? They could release it this May. This paper that DF found is from July 2016. Things can change a lot from eight months ago.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

Fact if they were going to use parts already out now, why are they waiting for Holiday 2017? They could release it this May. This paper that DF found is from July 2016. Things can change a lot from eight months ago.

Because MS doesn't care about preseason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@kinky-unikorn said:

@kingtito: That's why he is such an ugly looking fanboy. He'll bet that the difference between Scorpio and Pro are minor, but has said in the past that 1080p to 900p is such a huge difference in regards to the Playstation and Xbox One; certain titles...lol. What a strange fellow...

Allow me to spell it out. The power differences for a 1080p console are smaller than what is needed for 4k native gaming. A generationally technological leap. There's nothing strange at all about this. I have been saying, even when the Pro was unveiled, that no one should expect that to be a 4k wonderbeast. The HDR is well worth it if you have a TV that supports it. I've not deviated from that stance.

9 TFlops and above out of current GPU chips is a reasonably decent 4K gaming PC. Point to any post where I have not stood by that assertion. In the meantime, both the PS4 Pro and Scorpio are healthy half-gen upgrades. Is MS wants to break for Gen 9 early with Nintendo, cool, I hope that means they have games again.

I know what you mean, but I was talking in regards to @dakur and the nonsense he spews on these forums 90% of the time...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@kinky-unikorn: Oh, yeah I got nothing for that. He is entertaining, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@dakur said:
@kingtito said:
@dakur said:
@kingtito said:
@dakur said:

Yep, it is negligible to argue about power this gen so games is everything that matters and the PS4 destroys the xbone in that department and will continue to do so with or without Scorpio.

LOLOLOLOLOL hahaha it's negligible to argue power now huh? Hahahaha cows flip flopping as usual.....get ready for more tears after the most powerful console ever to launch lands at real gamers doors

lol point to me where I have argue about power between consoles being important this gen. I've never done that, I always have maintained that games IS what drives sales, not power and that's why the xbone is such a failure. And you also fail as usual lem.

All gen that's what ALL you've cows talked about. Don't try flip flopping now cow. Get ready cow because the truth is coming, it's coming in the form of SCORPIO..the worlds most powerful console.....ever!!!!

Again silly lemming. Show me where I said anything about that. I'm not a cow I'm a manticore. If people want power get a PC, hell I play every game that is on PC and consoles on PC because they play better. With consoles it's all about the exclusives. Sony has them, M$ doesn't. Deal with it lem, your butthurt is making you hear voices. The pathetic thing about the xbone is that it doesn't have power OR exclusives. That system is a joke. And even with Scorpio it will continue to be a joke because the power difference is negligible and no exclusives makes it irrelevant. Only dumb lems like you will end up buying that crap.

You're not a manticore...quit lying to yourself...lol. When the Scorpio releases, it'll be more powerful than the Pro, to you the difference is negligible; regardless it'll be more powerful how you or anyone else sees it. So as @cainetao11 mentioned, most games he plays are multiplatform, as myself. So what I'm looking forward to the most this year is Red Dead Redemption 2, to which I plan on playing on the Scorpio if Microsoft plays their cards right and give a good showing for E3. I'm hyped for the Scorpio not going to lie but Microsoft have to keep me hyped come E3, if not I'll see what Sony offers, they got quite a few games I want to play this year too! I enjoy the Switch for what it's trying to showcase itself as, but I don't see myself buying that console this year just yet. And if I'm a "dumb lem" then so be it, just know you are legit the most annoying person on these forums, you're a sad excuse of a person...

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

People care more about specifications than playing games; a sad reality of the entire generation.

DaHater7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 DaHater7
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

@Shewgenja: LoL

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

That's why I'm getting a Nintendo Switch this year.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I'm confused. Are you getting the Switch because you care more about specifications than games or because other people are? Either way seems kinda odd... :P

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@xhawk27 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@xhawk27 said:

Here's the quote

MS already stated Scorpio won't use a Jaguar CPU.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@asylumni said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I'm confused. Are you getting the Switch because you care more about specifications than games or because other people are? Either way seems kinda odd... :P

I care more about having fun with the games I play, people here are too obsessed with games are graphics king, how the story is immersive, or how many hours it will take to complete the game without actually talk about how fun the game can be. People want games to be like a PS1 JRPG with more than 10 hours, more plot driven, and more textures and not care about replay-ability.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@asylumni said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I care more about having fun with the games I play, people here are too obsessed with games are graphics king, how the story is immersive, or how many hours it will take to complete the game without actually talk about how fun the game can be. People want games to be like a PS1 JRPG with more than 10 hours, more plot driven, and more textures and not care about replay-ability.

LOL, I knew that's what you meant, it's just not what you actually said, thus the :P

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I'm not even a lem and i'm kinda butthurt that they're keeping the shitty Jaguar. Like how is this even possible? If it bottlenecks the normal ps4's gpu, how atrocious will it be when its coupled with a 6tflops gpu? It doesn't make sense. Overclocking a turd won't go anywhere, MS / Sony.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@kinky-unikorn said:
@dakur said:
@kingtito said:
@dakur said:
@kingtito said:

LOLOLOLOLOL hahaha it's negligible to argue power now huh? Hahahaha cows flip flopping as usual.....get ready for more tears after the most powerful console ever to launch lands at real gamers doors

lol point to me where I have argue about power between consoles being important this gen. I've never done that, I always have maintained that games IS what drives sales, not power and that's why the xbone is such a failure. And you also fail as usual lem.

All gen that's what ALL you've cows talked about. Don't try flip flopping now cow. Get ready cow because the truth is coming, it's coming in the form of SCORPIO..the worlds most powerful console.....ever!!!!

Again silly lemming. Show me where I said anything about that. I'm not a cow I'm a manticore. If people want power get a PC, hell I play every game that is on PC and consoles on PC because they play better. With consoles it's all about the exclusives. Sony has them, M$ doesn't. Deal with it lem, your butthurt is making you hear voices. The pathetic thing about the xbone is that it doesn't have power OR exclusives. That system is a joke. And even with Scorpio it will continue to be a joke because the power difference is negligible and no exclusives makes it irrelevant. Only dumb lems like you will end up buying that crap.

You're not a manticore...quit lying to yourself...lol. When the Scorpio releases, it'll be more powerful than the Pro, to you the difference is negligible; regardless it'll be more powerful how you or anyone else sees it. So as @cainetao11 mentioned, most games he plays are multiplatform, as myself. So what I'm looking forward to the most this year is Red Dead Redemption 2, to which I plan on playing on the Scorpio if Microsoft plays their cards right and give a good showing for E3. I'm hyped for the Scorpio not going to lie but Microsoft have to keep me hyped come E3, if not I'll see what Sony offers, they got quite a few games I want to play this year too! I enjoy the Switch for what it's trying to showcase itself as, but I don't see myself buying that console this year just yet. And if I'm a "dumb lem" then so be it, just know you are legit the most annoying person on these forums, you're a sad excuse of a person...

Yep it will be more powerful than the Pro but so what? Is not a game changing difference. For the average gamer, specially console gamers, games come first before power. And if the power doesn't even show itself easily then it becomes even less relevant. If a gamer truly wants power they'll invest on a PC. On consoles the exclusives are more valuable and relevant and Sony has that covered with ease over MS. Yeah there are some people that game in consoles and are concerned about power too and for them Scorpio could be an option but they can't be the current lems unless they're hypocrites because they have been buying their multiplats for the xbone all this time when the PS4 was more powerful so that means that power is actually not so important to them and they chose the xbone for other reasons (mostly fanaticism or friends is my guess).

So my prediction is that the Scorpio won't cause much impact at all and it will definitely not help close the gap between the PS4 and the xbone. This is a problem for lems since having a smaller user base will translate in devs paying more attention to the PS4 and so the xbone will continue to have a poor gaming library in comparison. Even more since MS first party studios are severally lacking so they would have to rely on third party exclusivity support and we all saw how that went with Scalebound as an example.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#286  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Zero_epyon: @silversix_:

@spitfire-six said:
@Shewgenja said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:

Digital Foundry did a little bit(alot) of word play with this article. The mention of Checker Board Rendering was for developers who did not want to devote all of the compute power to rendering in 4k. They reiterated the fact that they will not put a resolution minimum on developers and they go on to list techniques for developers that want to use the compute for different graphic effects. Forza was already mentioned to be running at 4k on Scorpio. This white paper is actually old, and it is strange for them to write an article about it at this time. The idea that it will primarly use checker board and that it is only a up clocked CPU is pure speculation on the part of DF.

I already explained this earlier in this thread. Even if the scorpio would be using zen cores this technique could still be used, if they wanted to have an option to render the game fully at 4k for instance, since higher resolution wil increase the cpu bottleneck as well.

But the comment could also have been what digital foundry means, to avoid a cpu bottleneck in a jaguar cpu, but that was in e3 2016, microsoft could have changed plans.

The picture from amd zen stand carries a lot more weight than this 'throw away comment' from e3 2016. Digital foundry knows this otherwise they woundln't be so carefull with their conclusion.

I guess they need clicks , it's been a while since they released an article that fuel the system wars.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Sorry Xbox fans, but everything presented so far indicates Jaguar.

Comments from AMD CEO stated no Ryzen semicustom in 2017.

Microsoft documents show ways of interpolating to get around CPU issues.

Microsoft only mentions the CPU as a 8 core. If it was Zen/Ryzen, then why not scream it to the masses?

They at least have a target range for the GPU which points to at least with Polaris, but more likely a variant of Vega.

Doesn't look favorable guys.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 commander

@crashnburn281 said:

Sorry Xbox fans, but everything presented so far indicates Jaguar.

Comments from AMD CEO stated no Ryzen semicustom in 2017.

Microsoft documents show ways of interpolating to get around CPU issues.

Microsoft only mentions the CPU as a 8 core. If it was Zen/Ryzen, then why not scream it to the masses?

They at least have a target range for the GPU which points to at least with Polaris, but more likely a variant of Vega.

Doesn't look favorable guys.

do you have any link about this comment?

They could not mention that the scorpio has zen/rysen for business purposes (like not alert the competition and jumpstart sony to make a ps5) or it could be idd to hide low specs (like nintendo does)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#289 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts
@Shewgenja said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:

Hahaha, saying he understands the article that NOWHERE is stating that it can't render natively 4K, hahaha, man yeah you won...

It's time you get realistic. The power difference is bigger between Scorpio, and PS Pro is bigger than it was for Xbox One, and PS4. In raw power, AND percentages. This is exactly 1080p vs. 900p all over again, because it's even going to be worse. Learn simple math before you create these topics, and learn to read, because you clearly didn't read the full article before posting it here. You're being owned left, and right about statements in the article that say the exact opposite of what you are claiming.

Ps: the simple math:

• Xbox One -> 1.3TF
  • PS4 -> 1.8TF

PS4 is 38.46% more powerful than the Xbox One

• PS Pro -> 4.2TF
  • Scorpio -> 6TF

Scorpio is 42.85% more powerful than the PS Pro

I won. Checkmate. You're owned. [other insecure premature cow cheering]

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@commander: I have previously linked it in another Scorpio thread. Really do not feel like searching for it at the moment. It was also posted on NeoGaf.

Essentially the CEO stated look for Ryzen semicustom solutions past 2017 and into 2018. Xbox would be a semicustom solution.

People state that the Scorpio was at the AMD New horizon booth, but that is for Ryzen and Vega. Supposedly PS4 Pro was also mentioned at the booth to a degree.

It's Polaris GPU has some Vega features from what I understand.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By commander

@crashnburn281 said:

@commander: I have previously linked it in another Scorpio thread. Really do not feel like searching for it at the moment. It was also posted on NeoGaf.

Essentially the CEO stated look for Ryzen semicustom solutions past 2017 and into 2018. Xbox would be a semicustom solution.

People state that the Scorpio was at the AMD New horizon booth, but that is for Ryzen and Vega. Supposedly PS4 Pro was also mentioned at the booth to a degree.

It's Polaris GPU has some Vega features from what I understand.

He could be talking about laptop/desktop configuration, it wouldn't be the first time a console is packing tech that's not officially released yet.

When I look up new horizon, it's mostly about ryzen, and ryzen is about the new cpu architecture, not about gpu archictectures called vega and polaris

it's of course debatable and the comment from microsoft about circumventing cpu bottlenecks could mean it's using jaguar cores. But that comment is from e3 2016, ms could have changed plans or even use this technique to keep resources available for the gpu (to run games at native 4k for instance)

It's speculation on both sides, but your remark about keeping us in the dark does worry me a bit though (I'm an xbox fan), it's something nintendo has done for the wii u and the switch.

mjebb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 mjebb
Member since 2016 • 86 Posts

Meh

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@xhawk27 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@xhawk27 said:

Here's the quote

AMD Athlon X4 845 (two module Excavator with 4 cores/4 threads at 3.5 Ghz base clock and 3.8 Ghz turbo) has better result for Alien Isolation when compared ~30 fps PS4 and XBO. Slightly lower clock speed and 14 nm/16nm FinFET version should reduce it's power consumption.

AMD Athlon X4 845's Carrizo APU was replaced by Bristol Ridge APU which has slight improvements on Excavator CPU core, hence "Excavator v2".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10705/amd-7th-gen-bristol-ridge-and-am4-analysis-a12-9800-b350-a320-chipset

Bristol Ridge APU has "Excavator v2"

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10705/amd-7th-gen-bristol-ridge-and-am4-analysis-a12-9800-b350-a320-chipset/2

Excavator V2 CPU core directly replaces Jaguar CPU core.

FinFET "Excavator" would be it's 3rd Excavator related improvement.

A12-9800E with 4 thread "Excavator V2" at 3100Mhz core with 3800Mhz turbo has 35 watts TDP which includes IGP

Excavator V2 shares the same AM4 based I/O as with RYZEN.

For H1 2017, AMD positions "Excavator V2" as their Atom/Jaguar budget CPU.

For H2 2017, Raven Ridge APU replaces Bristol Ridge APU. It's most likely "Excavator V2" would be AMD's new Atom/Jaguar budget CPU.

AMD Excavator has the same instruction set support as Intel Haswell and AMD RYZEN.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 commander

@ronvalencia said:
@xhawk27 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@xhawk27 said:

Here's the quote

AMD Athlon X4 845 (two module Excavator with 4 cores/4 threads at 3.5 Ghz base clock and 3.8 Ghz turbo) has better result for Alien Isolation when compared ~30 fps PS4 and XBO. Slightly lower clock speed and 14 nm/16nm FinFET version should reduce it's power consumption.

you could actually start mentioning what you mean with the stuff you post. We're not mindreaders.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By ronvalencia

@commander said:
@ronvalencia said:
@xhawk27 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Here's the quote

you could actually start mentioning what you mean with the stuff you post. We're not mindreaders.

My point, quad core/4 thread Excavator at ~3Ghz is good enough for MSI R9-290X OC edition with 1020 Mhz clock speed which yields 5.744 TFLOPS.

For DX11, AMD drivers has single thread rendering.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By commander

@ronvalencia said:

My point, quad core/4 thread Excavator at ~3Ghz is good enough for MSI R9-290X OC edition with 1020 Mhz clock speed which yields 5.744 TFLOPS.

why would they use excavator? what does single thread rendering has to do with any of this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#298 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@commander said:
@ronvalencia said:

why would they use excavator? what does single thread rendering has to do with any of this?

What he's trying to say is that with 5.744 TFLOPS and only single thread rendering it's already able to do very well. So the Scorpio won't have a problem at all with it.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By ronvalencia

@commander said:
@ronvalencia said:

It's a well known near apples to apples comparison with very little multithreading.

Read http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-alien-isolation-face-off

Xbox One code suffers from fewer issues with the engine stalling, although the game struggles to maintain anything approaching a consistent 30fps. Frame-rates are extremely variable, with gameplay averaging 28fps for prolonged periods, with some noticeable screen tearing. Essentially, the framebuffer is flipped a little late if the render isn't able to deliver a complete frame in time for a 33.33ms refresh.

Judging by PC results on lower-end hardware, it doesn't seem outside the realms of possibility for the PS4 - and to a lesser extent the Xbox One - to deliver something closer to a 60fps experience given the benefits of closed-box optimisation. So what could be the limiting factor on consoles? Perhaps the low-power AMD CPU cores are to blame.

Excavator is better than Jaguar and it's available since last year.

----------------

Loading Video...

Athlon 5350 with quad core Puma/Jaguar at 2.3 Ghz bottlenecks Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC 4GB

This Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC has 1000 Mhz clock speed which yields 5.1 TFLOPS with 325 GB/s memory bandwidth without Polaris' delta memory compression.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By ronvalencia

@spitfire-six said:
@Shewgenja said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/19/microsofts-project-scorpio-will-run-first-party-games-at-native-4k/

In an interview with USA Today, Shannon Loftis, Microsoft Studios Publishing general manager, confirmed that the company’s first-party titles made for the Xbox One Project Scorpio will run at native 4K.

“Any games we’re making that we’re launching in the Scorpio time frame, we’re making sure they can natively render at 4K,” she said.

Microsoft’s Project Scorpio will run first-party games at native 4K

Scorpio's estimate from R9-390X results with MS's first party games. For Forza 6 Apex, R9-290X's result is below the expected R9-390X's results

Killer Instinct Season 2 XBO edition has 1600x900p resolution.

The graphics details from the above benchmarks are higher than XBO's graphics detail settings.

Checkerboard rendering will be required if the programmer decides to increase per pixel shader operation. All GPUs has finite compute and memory bandwidth resources.

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/xbox-vr-scorpio-phil-spencer/

Spencer says, developers are usually building a PC version of any given game alongside the Xbox version—and increasingly, that means a 4K version. “When we started looking at Scorpio,” he says, “we asked the partners, ‘in order to build a true high-fidelity 4K game, what capabilities do you need?’ That’s what we designed Scorpio around. It’s kind of like a [GeForce GTX] 980 card on the PC. I get the capability that I need as a developer to deliver a high-fidelity 4K game. ”

http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2015/06/amd-radeon-4k-benchmark-r300-series-100591962-orig.png