MS New Console in 2010? Too early

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
Ok I just read this http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/U9C2F7B5 Is Microsoft giving up on the 360 too early? Is it the standard that the XBox consoles last 4 years? Or is this article just screwed up?
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
That would be 5 years, and that is not too unusual.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50670 Posts
Maybe this is how MS will start to win the console war. Just release a new system so damn much since they know their competitors can't afford to do so?
hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
2006-2007-2008-2009 That's 4 years, and the article says that it will be late 2009 or 2010, that's hardly even 4 years.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox

If it comes out in 2010 that's 4 years.

Edit: Wait, it came out in 05 or 06? And it was in Novermber right?

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
2010 makes sense though...
Halochief_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Halochief_101
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
that would be very dumb if they released it in 2009 or 2010, I just got mine last christmas and only have 17 games
donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts
Hmm.... I think by that time, I will be clad I have a PS3, if the last gen is anything to go by. Xbox just died when the next one came out whereas the PS2 is still providing a platform for new games even today. And the PSOne did go on for ages too.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44280 Posts

5 years is just peachy.

Though I was saying early in 2007 that 2010 would be the launch year of a new MS console I had changed my mind as I read between the lines of some of what MS has been saying and doing, leading me to think a 2011/2012 seems to be much more likely.

Which ever is correct, Bring It On Baby - I love getting the next gen toys and trying out for the first time the new controllers and stuff ! :D

PS: Sony should be hoping that MS waits till 2020 if they know whats good for their PS3. ;)

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SpruceCaboose
Xbox 360 was November 2005. A system launch would be in November, so if it hits 2010, that is 5 years.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

5 year lifespan. That's reasonable.

RickLemieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RickLemieux
Member since 2003 • 517 Posts
That would be awesome! I think 4-6 years is enough for a console.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox

Xbox 360 was November 2005. A system launch would be in November, so if it hits 2010, that is 5 years. SpruceCaboose

So basically 2006. So it'll be 4-5 years. Still too early for my tastes, but w/e.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

That would be a five year span. 5 years should be their goal , with good first party support for all 5 years at least.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

People can't read these days, both Sony ans MS gonna launch new console, it is so early for Sony. :(

"Sony & Microsoft To Roll Out New IP Gaming Consoles:

The device will go head to head with a new home console from Sony that is both a gaming console and content management system. It is not expected to be launched untill late in 2009 or early 2010. Key to the new Microsoft offering according to a development engineer is IP content which Microsoft believes is the future for both gaming and home entertainment.

During the past 12 months and at the recent CES Expo in Las Vegas, both Sony and Microsoft have met with global telecommunication companies to discuss home gateways and the delivery of IP content into the home and their new gaming and entertainment consoles.

In Australia senior Telstra executives have said that the future is not Blu ray but Blu ray quality content delivered over an IP network or via content kiosks. Telstra have also said that they want to deliver both games and entertainment content to both the new Sony and Microsoft devices with consumers given the option of either downloading the content to the device or picking up the content from storage kiosks located at Telstra mobile stores and at key public transport hubs."

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Xbox 360 was November 2005. A system launch would be in November, so if it hits 2010, that is 5 years. Chutebox

So basically 2006. So it'll be 4-5 years. Still too early for my tastes, but w/e.

Systems launch late in the year for the holidays. A late 2005 launch to late 2010 launch is 5 years. Not 4-5, just 5.

oldvander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 oldvander
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts
Sounds good. I've not bothered with this gen, so it will be interesting to see what the new consoles will be like.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Xbox 360 was November 2005. A system launch would be in November, so if it hits 2010, that is 5 years. SpruceCaboose

Systems launch late in the year for the holidays. A late 2005 launch to late 2010 launch is 5 years. Not 4-5, just 5.

Yea I know. I'd be surprised if it launched earlier in the year.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

People can't read these days, both Sony ans MS gonna launch new console, it is so early for Sony. :(

The device will go head to head with a new home console from Sony that is both a gaming console and content management system. It is not expected to be launched untill late in 2009 or early 2010. Key to the new Microsoft offering according to a development engineer is IP content which Microsoft believes is the future for both gaming and home entertainment.

During the past 12 months and at the recent CES Expo in Las Vegas, both Sony and Microsoft have met with global telecommunication companies to discuss home gateways and the delivery of IP content into the home and their new gaming and entertainment consoles.

In Australia senior Telstra executives have said that the future is not Blu ray but Blu ray quality content delivered over an IP network or via content kiosks. Telstra have also said that they want to deliver both games and entertainment content to both the new Sony and Microsoft devices with consumers given the option of either downloading the content to the device or picking up the content from storage kiosks located at Telstra mobile stores and at key public transport hubs."

HAZE-Unit

ouch, so that means... the PS3 will have a 3 year life-span :O... oh dear....

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rimnet00

st1ka

It doesn't say in the article that Sony's console will launch at the same time. Just because they will go head to head with each other, doesn't mean they will be released at the same time.

saolin323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 saolin323
Member since 2007 • 3121 Posts
Hope to god is true, i could not stand Crysis 2 having better graphics than all my 360 games combined
7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts
I dont think MS will release a new console until holiday 2011.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

st1ka

That hurts so much, I wanted the PS3 to last 4 years at least, but, they are going to screw us because of BD disk.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 st1ka
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Xbox 360 was November 2005. A system launch would be in November, so if it hits 2010, that is 5 years. SpruceCaboose

the text implies that the next gen sony console wont be far off from the next gen xbox, even sony themselves said they wont let microsoft get another head start like they did this gen.

But seriously, i really doubt we will see a new console anytime soon, i dont want next gen to start until late 2010 (preferrably somewhere in 2011)

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
MS in on the way to failure. No developer wants to invest in R&D of a platform for years and millions to put out 2 games and start all over. Making a game today can take 2-3 years, who's the idiot that thought of 5 year generations?
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 st1ka

Hope to god is true, i could not stand Crysis 2 having better graphics than all my 360 games combinedsaolin323

yes because we all know a game is unplayable without the latest in shiny graphics :roll:

The_Dan_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Dan_K
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts

That would be 5 years, and that is not too unusual.SpruceCaboose

For the past. Not to unusual, for the past. If Wii and PS3 last over 5 years, a new "norm" will be set. Not to mention the never dying PS2.

How does it help gaming to have MS release early again? The only benefit is that they can grab a market before anyone else. And that says nothing about their power in the business.

Suck it up MS, support your console. YOU chose the hardware. YOU decided to come out early. YOU decided not to have standard HDD.

Instead, they will be weak and come out early. Forcing a staggered console release from the big three. And that is total crap. If that happened, all console makers would need to do is make a console that's good for three years. Get in, take you money before the next guy comes out, and run to the next console. It ****ing weak.

pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
Wow, I can't believe some are making a big deal over this. Was anyone upset that the PS2 launched 5 years after the PS1? Would everyone have been up in arms if the PS3 wasn't delayed and launched 5 years after the PS2? Anyone angry that the 64 launched 5 years after the SNES? How about the GC 5 years after the 64? No? How about the Wii 5 years after the GC? Fanboys are so pathetic, they can never have to much to **** about.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice

MS in on the way to failure. No developer wants to invest in R&D of a platform for years and millions to put out 2 games and start all over. Making a game today takes 2-3 years, who's the idiot that thought of 5 year generations? lordxymor
You may be mixing up the difficulty programing for the other two platforms, especially the PS3 as the deving for 360 is much the same as the PC's the games are made on.

Ms has a leg up when it comes to this and will be the same for their next gen system as well. ;)

The_Dan_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Dan_K

[QUOTE="lordxymor"]MS in on the way to failure. No developer wants to invest in R&D of a platform for years and millions to put out 2 games and start all over. Making a game today takes 2-3 years, who's the idiot that thought of 5 year generations? SecretPolice

You may be mixing up the difficulty programing for the other two platforms, especially the PS3 as the deving for 360 is much the same as the PC's the games are made on.

Ms has a leg up when it comes to this and will be the same for their next gen system as well. ;)

So if the normal console has game devs taking 2-3 years, how long does it take 360 devs?

DntH8me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DntH8me
Member since 2004 • 311 Posts

Hmm.... I think by that time, I will be clad I have a PS3, if the last gen is anything to go by. Xbox just died when the next one came out whereas the PS2 is still providing a platform for new games even today. And the PSOne did go on for ages too.donwoogie

Yes the PS1 & Ps2 did go on for ages, but that's for people who could care less about playing a better system. Some people still listen to audio cassettes that doesn't mean they were a better choice. I wouldn't care if new xbox 1 titles were comming out at $15.99 I wouldn't be buying them, not after playing better games on the 360. My original xbox is still hooked up to the t.v. and I recently wiped off 3yrs of dust to turn it on due to RROD, but still I barely turn that system on. Now what you should have said is that M$ doesn't care about people who can't get a new system every 5 yrs and just drop support for the irrelevant system once the new one is out. The only benefit of support for older games is that you don't mind letting a young child or your little bro or sis get their grimey hands on it because if it breaks you can get another for $99. For all of the people who were scared to buy a 360 early due to either the RROD or the fact that sometime in the future the price would go down, but have one now, or will buy on really soon - Pat yourself on the back for saving $50 and missing 3years of incredible gaming.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="lordxymor"]MS in on the way to failure. No developer wants to invest in R&D of a platform for years and millions to put out 2 games and start all over. Making a game today takes 2-3 years, who's the idiot that thought of 5 year generations? The_Dan_K

So if the normal console has game devs taking 2-3 years, how long does it take 360 devs?

Tough to put a hard number on a general question but it's safe to say by looking at the landscape of games for the systems, when they came out and the quality and quantity all point to the ease in which 360 games hit the street as compared to the other two consoles.

So you're question is a loaded one but I think the currant library of games speak for themselves.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts
I think it's still to early to release it and they should let this gen still go on for a bit, theres still people who haven't gone and bought 360's or ps3's thought they are becoming bigger now but i beleive after this holiday season everyone will be pretty much set into this gen, and it would kind of suck to have them just release something new right after.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Xbox 360 was November 2005. A system launch would be in November, so if it hits 2010, that is 5 years. st1ka

the text implies that the next gen sony console wont be far off from the next gen xbox, even sony themselves said they wont let microsoft get another head start like they did this gen.

But seriously, i really doubt we will see a new console anytime soon, i dont want next gen to start until late 2010 (preferrably somewhere in 2011)

What I've understood after reading the whole artical that Sony are not going to rush their next console.

"He also said "We were lucky in that we took the gamble and built in a Blu ray player into the PS3. This and great games plus an excellent processor has helped us in the market. We also have the PS2 which is still selling extremely well. Microsoft is struggling and need a new gaming and entertainment solution quicker than we do."

I guess the PS3 will have a 5-6 year cycle before launching a new one, so after two years of the new Xbox, the new PS console will arrive.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts

[QUOTE="donwoogie"]Hmm.... I think by that time, I will be clad I have a PS3, if the last gen is anything to go by. Xbox just died when the next one came out whereas the PS2 is still providing a platform for new games even today. And the PSOne did go on for ages too.DntH8me

Yes the PS1 & Ps2 did go on for ages, but that's for people who could care less about playing a better system. Some people still listen to audio cassettes that doesn't mean they were a better choice. I wouldn't care if new xbox 1 titles were comming out at $15.99 I wouldn't be buying them, not after playing better games on the 360. My original xbox is still hooked up to the t.v. and I recently wiped off 3yrs of dust to turn it on due to RROD, but still I barely turn that system on. Now what you should have said is that M$ doesn't care about people who can't get a new system every 5 yrs and just drop support for the irrelevant system once the new one is out. The only benefit of support for older games is that you don't mind letting a young child or your little bro or sis get their grimey hands on it because if it breaks you can get another for $99. For all of the people who were scared to buy a 360 early due to either the RROD or the fact that sometime in the future the price would go down, but have one now, or will buy on really soon - Pat yourself on the back for saving $50 and missing 3years of incredible gaming.

Na, I like having an old console. When the PS3 came out, all the major multi-platform games were still being released on the PS2 aswell so I just got them for that til the PS3 had a price drop. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for my Xbox since the game support immediately dropped, I had to early adopt one...................

The_Dan_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Dan_K
[QUOTE="The_Dan_K"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="lordxymor"]MS in on the way to failure. No developer wants to invest in R&D of a platform for years and millions to put out 2 games and start all over. Making a game today takes 2-3 years, who's the idiot that thought of 5 year generations? SecretPolice

Tough to put a hard number on a general question but it's safe to say by looking at the landscape of games for the systems, when they came out and the quality and quantity all point to the ease in which 360 games hit the street as compared to the other two consoles.

So you're question is a loaded one but I think the currant library of games speak for themselves.

So, pretty much you are just talking out of your arse. You said that 360 titles take less than the average 2-3 years, which is false. How long did Halo 3 take?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
I wouldn't put any kind of faith in that article. A lot of stuff is said at CES that never happens. All 3 console makers are designing their new consoles right now. Until we hear something concrete this is all BS. I's say 2010 is when you will start hearing about the new consoles. I'd say 2011 at the earliest and yes it will probably be MS since they launched first.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Hope to god is true, i could not stand Crysis 2 having better graphics than all my 360 games combinedsaolin323

Crysis 2? Crysis already has better graphics than all of your 360 games. In fact, PC games that don't come close to Crysis have better graphics than all your 360 games.

saolin323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 saolin323
Member since 2007 • 3121 Posts

[QUOTE="saolin323"]Hope to god is true, i could not stand Crysis 2 having better graphics than all my 360 games combinedHexagon_777

Crysis 2? Crysis already has better graphics than all of your 360 games. In fact, PC games that don't come close to Crysis have better graphics than all your 360 games.

Yes, whatever, i just say that the gap from 360 games to Crysis 2 will be vast, the gap now is minimal to non existent

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rimnet00

[QUOTE="saolin323"]Hope to god is true, i could not stand Crysis 2 having better graphics than all my 360 games combinedHexagon_777

Saolin derailing topic to Fable 2 v Crysis thread in 3... 2 ... 1...

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="saolin323"]Hope to god is true, i could not stand Crysis 2 having better graphics than all my 360 games combinedrimnet00

Saolin derailing topic to Fable 2 v Crysis thread in 3... 2 ... 1...

LOL. He is kind of ridiculous with that bit isn't he?
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

I disagree.

I believe the leg up you said is their great development tools, which I admit are great, but 360 isn't easy to develop far from it, and Ps3 is the hardest not only because it's a new platform(with not so good devtools), but because it uses a processor with an new paradigm.

Next generation is going to be even worst. Besides IBM's Cell, each manufacturer will be putting out different the next-gen solutions like AMD Fusion, Intel Polaris, Nvidia GPGPU, etc.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

So, pretty much you are just talking out of your arse. You said that 360 titles take less than the average 2-3 years, which is false. How long did Halo 3 take?

The_Dan_K

since launch it was a lil under 1 year and 9 or so months i believe but that is if you only count dev time after console launch, they started working on halo 3 soon after halo 2 was released.

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

I hope you ppl know that most gamers don,t but consoles until 3-4 yrs after release mostly hardcore get them lunch day -1 1/2 out. same with the ps2 100mil plus most came around 3-4 yrs til now.i buu at lunch myself.... IF THE NEXT XBOX CAME OUT 09-10 YOU DON,T HAVE TO GET!!! BUT FOR HARDCORE THEY WILL BUY JUST LIKE PCGAMERS

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Xbox 360 was November 2005. A system launch would be in November, so if it hits 2010, that is 5 years. HAZE-Unit

What I've understood after reading the whole artical that Sony are not going to rush their next console.

"He also said "We were lucky in that we took the gamble and built in a Blu ray player into the PS3. This and great games plus an excellent processor has helped us in the market. We also have the PS2 which is still selling extremely well. Microsoft is struggling and need a new gaming and entertainment solution quicker than we do."

I guess the PS3 will have a 5-6 year cycle before launching a new one, so after two years of the new Xbox, the new PS console will arrive.

I read that as well, fanboys only see what they wanna see, always quick to diss the other systems. If they would only read.....they might learn summ'em

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
I got it on Launch. So I'm good.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="saolin323"]Hope to god is true, i could not stand Crysis 2 having better graphics than all my 360 games combinedsaolin323

Yes, whatever, i just say that the gap from 360 games to Crysis 2 will be vast, the gap now is minimal to non existent

lol! :lol:

Got anymore jokes? :D

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
IF it is released to soon and is a big improvement, you can expect it to cost WAY TOO MUCH.
sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

2006-2007-2008-2009 That's 4 years, and the article says that it will be late 2009 or 2010, that's hardly even 4 years.hamidious

Console came out in 2005. so you have nov. 2005-2006 (1yr), 2006-2007 (2 yrs), 2007-2008 (3 yrs), 2008-2009 (4 yrs), 2009-2010 (5 yrs). So it would be 5 years which is not uncommon.

MrKittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MrKittle
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts
They should wait until 2011 and launch with Sony and Nintendo. They need to make sure they have all the cooling good to go...no more 3 red rings or whatever this next Xbox will have.