MS Misleading on 360 GTA 4 sales?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

http://www.n4g.com/News-142954.aspx

(if posted before please forgivve me.)

Apparently, atleast from what this site says, the 360 numbers for GTA 4 that MS gave out (if you dont remember they said they were outselling PS3 2 to 1 for GTA 4) were actually incorrect. IT appears that the PS3 version is actually outselling the 360 version per Console. I guess that 2 to 1 thing wasnt quit accurate. Still, both sold well and R* has more money than god right now.

Lo_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Lo_Rising
Member since 2007 • 930 Posts

very interesting, wonder where all teh 360 fanboys are, and their game attachment ratio crap.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 black_awpN1

very interesting, wonder where all teh 360 fanboys are, and their game attachment ratio crap.

Lo_Rising

There probaly staying away from this thread like the AIDS or something.

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ParadiddleFill
Member since 2007 • 3506 Posts
yeah this article is from some guys blog
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
It would explain why alot of retailers ran out of stock for the PS3 version before the 360 version, although that could just be down to less PS3 copies being made because of larger 360 fanbase. It might also explain why the PS3 version seems to be having more problems with online that the 360 one (If anyone is going to criticize me and tell me that it's because PSN is terrible then let me tell you in advance that PSN works just fine for any game online).
Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts
yet they dont give any numbers, anyway knowing microsoft its no surprise
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 black_awpN1

yeah this article is from some guys blog ParadiddleFill

So that means automaticaly its untrue? I hope your not Damage Controlling.

river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
well i dont care about the extra content on gta coming to the 360 (otherwise id buy the 360 version) but how could rockstar be ok with not having it on both systems, they will miss out on extra cash. i bet they have something up their sleeves for ps3 owners
Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts

[QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]yeah this article is from some guys blog black_awpN1

he has nothing to prove its true, soyes its pretty much fake

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
Who cares, it was supposed to sell alot more on PS3, not match the 360 or barely pass it according to people and gaming sites. Either way, you're both probably wrong.
TheRealMC01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheRealMC01
Member since 2007 • 995 Posts

not untrue, but not enough to prove that MS is wrong.

but even if it is true, who cares about sales per console. now THAT is damage controlling.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 black_awpN1

well i dont care about the extra content on gta coming to the 360 (otherwise id buy the 360 version) but how could rockstar be ok with not having it on both systems, they will miss out on extra cash. i bet they have something up their sleeves for ps3 ownersriver_rat3117

Actually, from what I keep Reading in POM ( Playstation teh Offical Magazine) THey kept on Hinting of some kind of DLC in their Review and their PReviews of GTA 4. THey say stuff in the review like "the multiplayer should keep you entertained until DLC comes." and other stuff like taht.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#13 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Apparently, atleast from what this site says, the 360 numbers for GTA 4 that MS gave out (if you dont remember they said they were outselling PS3 2 to 1 for GTA 4) were actually incorrect. IT appears that the PS3 version is actually outselling the 360 version per Console. I guess that 2 to 1 thing wasnt quit accurate. Still, both sold well and R* has more money than god right now.

black_awpN1

Okay, I'm not fan of MS, and I'll probably never buy 360, but I have to say, that's not misleading in the least.

MS is talking pure numerics. This guy is talking attached rate. These are two different numbers, and like last generation, attached rate, while nice, doesn't beat pure numeric sales.

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ParadiddleFill

well lets see this guy has no factual evidence to back up his claim just some zany mathematical hypothesis, and why would i be in Damage control? i dont work for microsoft i dont own any market shares i could care less what console gta4 sells better on

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts
I thought MS was selling 2:1 ratio just had to deal with the sales of GTA IV alone, not per console.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

O_O Yeah, uhhh, I can post in my blog "The Wii causes cancer" so blogs aren't exactly extremely reliable.

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts

Let's not through out the "damage control" phrase just yet. I always find it amusing people use blogs to support their views but discredit them when they disagree. I think all blogs should be taken with a grain of salt. Also the phrase "more sold per console" seems odd.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

black_awpN1
Do you see that "per console" part? The article is the one trying to "twist" the numbers. We didn't do that last generation when a PS2 title outsold an xbox title 2 to 1 even though its userbase was 5 to 1. The flat numbers that were given WERE correct. The "article" is pretty much nothing more than sour grapes of somebody who was probably saying the PS3 version was going to outsell the 360 version due to GTA being known as a "playstation franchise".
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Sales per consloe =/= Sales

and ill wait for NPD or some other reliable sales source, and if GTA 4 360 sales did better in UK than ps3. I highly doubt ps3 sales will be higher overall.

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

It would explain why alot of retailers ran out of stock for the PS3 version before the 360 version, although that could just be down to less PS3 copies being made because of larger 360 fanbase. It might also explain why the PS3 version seems to be having more problems with online that the 360 one (If anyone is going to criticize me and tell me that it's because PSN is terrible then let me tell you in advance that PSN works just fine for any game online).ONLYDOD

I've havent had any problem gettin on like

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dhjohns

[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"]It would explain why alot of retailers ran out of stock for the PS3 version before the 360 version, although that could just be down to less PS3 copies being made because of larger 360 fanbase. It might also explain why the PS3 version seems to be having more problems with online that the 360 one (If anyone is going to criticize me and tell me that it's because PSN is terrible then let me tell you in advance that PSN works just fine for any game online).CubanBlunt

There must have been some issues because R* just released an online patch for the PS3. Doesn't address the SP freezing but according to R* it fixes the online issues.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 black_awpN1
[QUOTE="CubanBlunt"]

[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"]It would explain why alot of retailers ran out of stock for the PS3 version before the 360 version, although that could just be down to less PS3 copies being made because of larger 360 fanbase. It might also explain why the PS3 version seems to be having more problems with online that the 360 one (If anyone is going to criticize me and tell me that it's because PSN is terrible then let me tell you in advance that PSN works just fine for any game online).dhjohns

There must have been some issues because R* just released an online patch for the PS3. Doesn't address the SP freezing but according to R* it fixes the online issues.

When did they release a Patch? Today?

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dhjohns

When did they release a Patch? Today?

black_awpN1

Yep. Kotaku has all of the details.

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CubanBlunt

Who cares, it was supposed to sell alot more on PS3, not match the 360 or barely pass it according to people and gaming sites. Either way, you're both probably wrong.Pro_wrestler

Now here you go. For week all we heard was "GTA4 for the 360 gonna sell more because of the DLC" and "More people have the 360 so GTA4 on the 360 will sell more".....now whats next?

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 DXGreat1_HGL
Member since 2003 • 7543 Posts

Here's an interesting response found about the article

PS3 version of GTA IV IS in some cases Completley Unplayable and Online multi-player is also Broken for half the people...

there is a 400+ page thread on PS Forum which sony closed in shame without any official response...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=370613

its a journalist's job to report on this fiasco instead of defending Sony

Gee I wonder why Sony has to cover this up? Then again, just remember, only MS does this...

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

This is attach rate and not sales, but either way MS is lying there is no way GTA sold 2 to 1 on X360.

That was a flat out lie and a desperate attempt to sell more X360 consoles by acting pretending they are the big dog.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

[QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"]Who cares, it was supposed to sell alot more on PS3, not match the 360 or barely pass it according to people and gaming sites. Either way, you're both probably wrong.CubanBlunt

Now here you go. For week all we heard was "GTA4 for the 360 gonna sell more because of the DLC" and "More people have the 360 so GTA4 on the 360 will sell more".....now whats next?

I think he is talking about the 3-5 cows that claim ridiculous stuff and now one likes to claim them as part as their own group. Kind of like how lemmings disowned Saolin.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 black_awpN1

PS3 version of GTA IV IS in some cases Completley Unplayable and Online multi-player is also Broken for half the people...

there is a 400+ page thread on PS Forum which sony closed in shame without any official response...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=370613

Gee I wonder why Sony has to cover this up? Then again, just remember, only MS does this...

DXGreat1_HGL

Ive been playing the PS3 version for about 20 hours now and I experinced no Such Problems. No Freeze ups, no FPS Dips. I actually own both Versions of GTA 4. ( i had a Gift card) and while both run jsut fine, I found the PS3 version to run a bit smoother.

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DXGreat1_HGL

http://play.tm/story/17949

So much for the PS3 version being better R* should have just skipped the PS3 version and worked on the 360 version 1st...

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Total sales and sales per console are 2 different things. Just because the Gta 4 has a higher attatch rate on the PS3 does not mean it sold the most on the PS3.
dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8905 Posts

black_awpN1

First off, I am fairly certain MS ws talking about NA. And, in Europe, aren't there MORE PS3's sold than 360s according to Sony? So how does that "per console" ratio work when there are 20% more 360 copies of GTA4 sold than PS3 copies, when more PS3s are sold.

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DXGreat1_HGL
[QUOTE="DXGreat1_HGL"]

black_awpN1

Ive been playing the PS3 version for about 20 hours now and I experinced no Such Problems. No Freeze ups, no FPS Dips. I actually own both Versions of GTA 4. ( i had a Gift card) and while both run jsut fine, I found the PS3 version to run a bit smoother.

Yes and you represent EVERY PS 3 owner, right?

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 black_awpN1

So much for the PS3 version being better R* should have just skipped the PS3 version and worked on the 360 version 1st...

DXGreat1_HGL

Im sorry but Reviewers > This site.

Reviewers say it runs a bit better on PS3. Both Run fine, please stop.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 black_awpN1
[QUOTE="black_awpN1"][QUOTE="DXGreat1_HGL"]

DXGreat1_HGL

Yes and you represent EVERY PS 3 owner, right?

Every PS3 owener isnt experincing this problem. Your jsut jumping on a chance to bash PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

black_awpN1

Uhmmm...I read the article and it doesn't even come close to what you are saying.

1) The MS press release only applies to the UK. Not world wide sales.

2) The press release says that the 360 version sold 20% more than the PS3 version...not 2 to 1.

3) The so-called "rebuttal" points out what any SW person would also mention...that if you do the math, the 360 has double the consoles out but only sold 20% more. That means a higher percentage of PS3 users bought the game.

I'm a PS3 owner and fan who has GTA4 on PS3...and this thread, and the associated article, is more misleading than anything MS is doing.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Per console is simply a way of twisting number to your advantage, is it not? In terms of just selling copies, i'm sure the 360 sold many more, as simply put, there are more 360 owners to buy the game.
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 black_awpN1
Also, there have been reports of the 360 version freezing up to. I heard a few of my 360 owning freinds experinced this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5dd711115e664
[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]

dabear

First off, I am fairly certain MS ws talking about NA. And, in Europe, aren't there MORE PS3's sold than 360s according to Sony? So how does that "per console" ratio work when there are 20% more 360 copies of GTA4 sold than PS3 copies, when more PS3s are sold.

Europe is not te same as the UK. MS has more consoles than Son in the UK...which is one part of Europe. Whenyou look at all the countries/regions that make up Europe, the PS3 has already sold more than the 360.

To say that the UK and Europe are the same is like saying the PS2 didn't outsell the Xbox in NA because the Xbox sold more in Texas.

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DXGreat1_HGL
[QUOTE="DXGreat1_HGL"]

black_awpN1

Yes because that site is only reliable when they place the 360 in a negative light. The fact is, if there were no problems R* wouldn't have needed to create a patch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5dd711115e664

Every PS3 owener isnt experincing this problem. Your jsut jumping on a chance to bash PS3.

black_awpN1

I bought a PS3 last weekend just to play GTA4 (and because I'm a longtime PS fan). I had freezing problems on day 1. It was freezing as soon as I got the the third mission in the game.

However, I have done the "fix" that was suggested and I haven't had a single problem since.

Would be nice if they could get the online to work better though.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 black_awpN1
[QUOTE="black_awpN1"][QUOTE="DXGreat1_HGL"]

DXGreat1_HGL

Yes because that site is only reliable when they place the 360 in a negative light. The fact is, if there were no problems R* wouldn't have needed to create a patch.

and I suppsoe if they were putting the PS3 in a Negative Light, you would be claiming they were Creadible, but if they were depicting the 360 in a Negative Light, you would be saying they were Biased. (it works both ways pal.)

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CubanBlunt

Total sales and sales per console are 2 different things. Just because the Gta 4 has a higher attatch rate on the PS3 does not mean it sold the most on the PS3. waynehead895

higher attatch rate dose equal sold the most, it gose hand and hand

blasto65_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blasto65_basic
Member since 2002 • 496 Posts

[QUOTE="river_rat3117"]well i dont care about the extra content on gta coming to the 360 (otherwise id buy the 360 version) but how could rockstar be ok with not having it on both systems, they will miss out on extra cash. i bet they have something up their sleeves for ps3 ownersblack_awpN1

Actually, from what I keep Reading in POM ( Playstation teh Offical Magazine) THey kept on Hinting of some kind of DLC in their Review and their PReviews of GTA 4. THey say stuff in the review like "the multiplayer should keep you entertained until DLC comes." and other stuff like taht.

They had RockStar developers on XM radio just before the release and they said that as of now there will be no DLC on PS3. I think it is dumb of them to lose all the xtra money but that was right from there developers.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

DXGreat1_HGL

Err..that's an advantage for the Ps3, as the X360 also have problems and hasn't bee patched yet...

And don't say

'but i didn't suffer it'

Some people did.

According to MS, data released by ELSPA/Chart-Track shows Xbox 360 Week One sales at 514,000 copies sold in the UK. The PS3 version of the game sold 413,000 copies, "clearly demonstrating that gamers prefer the Xbox 360 version" says the release.

Well...congratulations. You won UK, mini-US with a much higher X360 install rate by..how much?

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DXGreat1_HGL

and I suppsoe if they were putting the PS3 in a Negative Light, you would be claiming they were Creadible, but if they were depicting the 360 in a Negative Light, you would be saying they were Biased. (it works both ways pal.)

black_awpN1

You obviously didn't read the line in my article that the 360 version has also encountered a few crashes. Your logic fails, just like your OP. The PS3 version has more issues because they had to release a patch to fix them. If not, why isn't there a 360 patch?

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ParadiddleFill
[QUOTE="DXGreat1_HGL"]

thrones

Err..that's an advantage for the Ps3, as the X360 also have problems and hasn't bee patched yet...

And don't say

'but i didn't suffer it'

Some people did.

According to MS, data released by ELSPA/Chart-Track shows Xbox 360 Week One sales at 514,000 copies sold in the UK. The PS3 version of the game sold 413,000 copies, "clearly demonstrating that gamers prefer the Xbox 360 version" says the release.

Well...congratulations. You won UK, mini-US with a much higher X360 install rate by..how much?

the only thing that has been patched up is the online not the single player, the 360 version has much less freezing problems

JayPee89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JayPee89
Member since 2005 • 3488 Posts
That article is misleading. If the PS3 is selling more per console, that doesn't mean that the 360 isn't outselling it 2 to 1.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
[QUOTE="DXGreat1_HGL"]

black_awpN1

You're right, it does run better on the PS3 because it is at a lower resolution with no AA. Bravo.

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DXGreat1_HGL
[QUOTE="DXGreat1_HGL"]

thrones

And don't say

'but i didn't suffer it'

Some people did.

Actually it proves that the PS3 version had more crashes . I've encountered 1 bug so far. At least I can admit, as opposed to pretend it never happened....

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
Did anyone else notice that they were only referring to Microsoft UK and not anywhere else? They are only calculating these number out of a small fraction of total sales.