MS closing down Lionhead and shoving Fable away like a worthless IP makes no sense.

• 105 results
lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

These games have sold very well for exclusives:

Fable:TLC = 3.2m
Fable II = 4.7m
Fable III= 5.1m

First 2 Fable games were great and the 3rd, while a drop off in quality, was still a fun experience. The Fable games have always had its own unique charm and the worlds were filled with interesting interactions with all sorts of different characters and personalities. The first Fable was a let down to many people based on blatant lies by Peter Molyneux but if you got over that and looked past it, it was a brilliant game in its own right. The Fable series is a beloved IP and deserves far more respect by MS. Anyway, it doesn't matter if MS decides to bring it back, because it won't have that same Lionhead magic...it won't have what people loved so much about these games.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts

Cause Microsoft doesn't like content.

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

yeah it sucks when MS doesn't have a game yet to fill that space ... Although that is what people said about gears of war 4 and it turned out pretty awesome for me ... they own the IP and left open a possibly for it to be developed in someones care ... its not this game make or break thing like no more halo or something ... phils job now is to make sure we have something other then halo forza gears for its next gen console

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lifelessablaze

@Syn_Valence said:

MS game studios is a joke now and I blame it on the dudebro schmuck who was supposed to be our savior...Phil.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

Sales aren't everything. I'm willing to bet making this franchise has been nothing short of a nightmare with the level of ambitions cut down to unfortunately realistic expectations. The pre-production alone must have made those first 3 a real headache.

Also the Fable games were never good ever who wants to fight me?

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 956 Posts

Whats the reason they are closing it?

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lifelessablaze

@Vaasman said:

Sales aren't everything. I'm willing to bet making this franchise has been nothing short of a nightmare with the level of ambitions cut down to unfortunately realistic expectations. The pre-production alone must have made those first 3 a real headache.

Also the Fable games were never good ever who wants to fight me?

Heh, you really want me to beat you up in front of your mom?

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I believe MS has already heard that a lot of people want a Fable 4, and who knows it might even be better than 1-3.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 648 Posts

MS first party this gen is a joke.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Well for one thing, Lionhead wanted to go dark witcher style on the next Fable game and Lionhead knew everyone wanted Fable 4 from the start but nope, MS rejected there idea and wanted a MP game thus, MS shutting down Lionhead.

@Syn_Valence said:

Microsoft hates releasing guaranteed masterpieces.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@lifelessablaze: Fable 3 released in 2010 and MS announced the studio closure in 2016. If you're confused as to why the studio closed, perhaps you should look at what the studio produced in that time and the personnel changes that occurred.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Pity had I bought an X1 I would have bout Fable Legends or whatever it was called

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

I have a feeling it'll come back eventually.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Did we go back in time? They closed lionhead over a year ago, and there hasn't been a proper Fable game since 2010

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lifelessablaze

@drlostrib said:

Did we go back in time? They closed lionhead over a year ago, and there hasn't been a proper Fable game since 2010

Did we go back in time? That icon is from a game during the 16 bit era

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I thought this was old news, but either way MS really F*(3ed up Lionhead studios. Lion made one of my favorite games last gen (Fable 2). MS really knows how to destroy studios

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DrLostRib

@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:

...your avatar is from a 1938 cartoon

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lifelessablaze

@drlostrib said:
@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:

You're the one who's making a case about relevancy you dope.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrLostRib

@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:
@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:

I don't see what my avatar had to do with anything

Or why you're bringing up lionhead now?

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lifelessablaze

@drlostrib said:
@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:
@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:

Because it's worth discussing since it relates to the horrible direction MS is going in under Phil Spencer...do I gotta spell it out for you?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrLostRib

@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:

Because it's worth discussing since it relates to the horrible direction MS is going in under Phil Spencer...do I gotta spell it out for you?

Why is it worth discussing a studio that's been closed for over a year, and a series that hasn't had a major release in 7 years and whose lead designer left the company?

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lifelessablaze

@drlostrib said:
@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:

Why is it worth discussing a studio that's been closed for over a year, and a series that hasn't had a major release in 7 years and whose lead designer left the company?

Wow, I think you're really this stupid. I'm just gonna avoid discussing anything with you from now on.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@davillain-: What a shock dacow is bashing MS again. Do you have links or proof to your claims? Or is it just your anti MS idiotic rhetoric as usual?

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lifelessablaze

@asylumni said:

@lifelessablaze: Fable 3 released in 2010 and MS announced the studio closure in 2016. If you're confused as to why the studio closed, perhaps you should look at what the studio produced in that time and the personnel changes that occurred.

Heh, then explain the abomination known as Crackdown 3 and why MS didn't put it out of its misery.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:
@asylumni said:

Heh, then explain the abomination known as Crackdown 3 and why MS didn't put it out of its misery.

MS doesn't own the studios involved and still wants to push their cloud assisted gaming and need a proof of concept for other companies to buy in.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Primorandomguy

@lifelessablaze: So you bash MS for shutting down a studio who hasn't released a game in 6 years, and their last game (Fable 3) wasn't well received, but you also bash MS for not cancelling a game, and call it an abomination when it hasn't even released yet? Are you serious?

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lifelessablaze

@primorandomguy said:

@lifelessablaze: So you bash MS for shutting down a studio who hasn't released a game in 6 years, and their last game (Fable 3) wasn't well received, but you also bash MS for not cancelling a game, and call it an abomination when it hasn't even released yet? Are you serious?

Crackdown games were always mediocre that relied on iffy sandbox elements to mask a borderline non-existent of a story and outdated gameplay mechanics. Crackdown 3's graphics looks like it belongs in the bottom tier shovelware games you'd see from LAST GEN let alone current gen. Not sure how anyone can even show a tiny bit interest in this game. I'm genuinely shocked that it's generated hype...I want to know who is actively hyping this game who isn't getting paid for it.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Primorandomguy

@lifelessablaze: Fable 3 was mediocre. Lionhead was going no where. And also...

"Power doesn't matter!!!" Then....

"Yuck those graphics look so last gen!"

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

The Fable games were middling at best. You people are dumb

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

I'm not disappoined, it's hardly a unique series in any respect from its setting, style, gameplay, mechanics. My Fable void can be filled by just about any half decent generic fantasy adventure on the market.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrLostRib

@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:
@lifelessablaze said:

Wow, I think you're really this stupid. I'm just gonna avoid discussing anything with you from now on.

In other words, you got nothing and you're just trolling

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#33 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

Ya, I don't really understand it either. Fable was a staple in the Xbox community. I can't see them letting that go in the future.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@drlostrib said:
@lifelessablaze said:
@drlostrib said:
@lifelessablaze said:

In other words, you got nothing and you're just trolling

Are you really surprised?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@primorandomguy said:

@davillain-: What a shock dacow is bashing MS again. Do you have links or proof to your claims? Or is it just your anti MS idiotic rhetoric as usual?

On the whole Fable 4 situation? Sure: Fable 4, the game was never meant to be and from the ways it was going, Lionhead really wanted to go all witchery style (AKA Witcher 3 style that is) and I like Lionhead ideas way more then MS Fable Legend offering.

(Also, if you want to read further details on Lionhead's part, this Article is very long read)

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Fable sucks.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

Fable was largely meh, and this is is just old news.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:

I don't think closing lionhead is really part of phil's plan. MS is doing MUCH better under phil but they never had a good first party walking into this gen and with Molyneux leaving lion head I imagine the studio became a husk and was shutdown because they hadn't delivered a game in 6 years.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Primorandomguy

@metalslimenite: Well yeah. MS, Sony, and Nintendo all have or had bad 1st party franchises.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Primorandomguy

@metalslimenite: Yep MS needs to step it up in that regard. Unfortunately Crackdown 3, and Sea of Thieves don't look great.

carlquincy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 carlquincy
Member since 2012 • 391 Posts

@davillain- said:
@primorandomguy said:

On the whole Fable 4 situation? Sure: Fable 4, the game was never meant to be and from the ways it was going, Lionhead really wanted to go all witchery style (AKA Witcher 3 style that is) and I like Lionhead ideas way more then MS Fable Legend offering.

(Also, if you want to read further details on Lionhead's part, this Article is very long read)

Thats a really good read.

The gaming as a service mantra (if real) really suck out the creativeness from the devs.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:

Fable II = 4.7m

Fable III= 5.1m

First 2 Fable games were great and the 3rd, while a drop off in quality, was still a fun experience. The Fable games have always had its own unique charm and the worlds were filled with interesting interactions with all sorts of different characters and personalities. The first Fable was a let down to many people based on blatant lies by Peter Molyneux but if you got over that and looked past it, it was a brilliant game in its own right. The Fable series is a beloved IP and deserves far more respect by MS. Anyway, it doesn't matter if MS decides to bring it back, because it won't have that same Lionhead magic...it won't have what people loved so much about these games.

The flaw in your logic is your assumption that MS is necessarily very logical with their decisions. MS's success comes from Windows....and not because Windows is the best OS ever made, but because it has a monopoly on 90% of the market - where compatibility is key. From the various poor decisions MS has made in the past ie. Zune, Bing, Games For Windows, and every alternate Windows flops, you should be well aware of how MS makes their decisions, namely, to make a mistake, then correct that mistake.

The one credit i can give MS is that they do learn from mistakes. But don't expect them to make consecutive wise decisions before making a mistake first

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6953 Posts

Did someone just wake up from a coma or something?

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lifelessablaze

@jhcho2 said:
@lifelessablaze said:

Fable II = 4.7m

Fable III= 5.1m

The flaw in your logic is your assumption that MS is necessarily very logical with their decisions. MS's success comes from Windows....and not because Windows is the best OS ever made, but because it has a monopoly on 90% of the market - where compatibility is key. From the various poor decisions MS has made in the past ie. Zune, Bing, Games For Windows, and every alternate Windows flops, you should be well aware of how MS makes their decisions, namely, to make a mistake, then correct that mistake.

The one credit i can give MS is that they do learn from mistakes. But don't expect them to make consecutive wise decisions before making a mistake first

Don't talk shit about Bing. It's the best thing ever for porn.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Meanwhile Dead Rising 4 struggling to break 1 million, lol, sad.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

GTA V sucks.

For the first time ever I agree with you, miracles do happen.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Did someone just wake up from a coma or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Fable sucks.

Which Fable games did you play? Or you think the whole series sucks?