Mouse & keyboard not so superior.

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Trashface
Member since 2006 • 3534 Posts
I was thinking and the mouse & keyboard combo is not as superior to controllers as hermits like to think. I game on the PC and 360 and I might get a Wii for Mario Galaxy. The controller has a distinct advantage and so does the M & K. The advantage the console style controller has over the M & K with shooters is the thumbstick used for walking/ running. With a keyboard, you have to toggle the walk/ run with a key whereas with a controller, you can shift from walk to run by the sensitivity of the thumbstick. This is much better than toggeling. Also the direction control os much better than using keys such as w,s,d,a. The M&K advantage s definitely the mouse. It's much better for intuitive looking around.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
The Keyboard is also good for hot keys.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Sigh.

For shooters gamepads suck next to the KB/M combo.

Wahoo you get analouge movement - there is the shift key to 'walk' for PC gamers. Everything else is vastly superiour.
How about the annoyance of face buttons on controlers? If I want to Melee in GeOW or Halo 3 - I have to take my thumb off the right joystick - fun! At least on a keyboard my 5 fingers are used, let alone can quickly hit other keys.

Dont get me started on the superiorily of the mouse.

And no WSAD is fine for movement. in any game. If anything its better in many instances, as its quick response - Quake, UT, Half Life, Counter Strike - hell any fps - not to mention the fine movement of the mouse counters the keys movement - making it much better than an analouge stick

Still this thread is grasping for straws.

Shooters Mouse and Keyboard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gamepad = fact

Otherwise its an opinion.

-

every game ive played on 360 and PC - that is multiplat shooter - the PC version kills the 360 one - defitnaly in controls.

Its noticeable how much better m/kb is in Bioshock, COD4, COD2, FEAR ect. ect.

15th_archangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 15th_archangel
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts
Sorry...I am mostly a console gamer, but M&K will always be better suited for gaming just for the shear number of usable keys and the perfect accuracy of the mouse.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
It's fairly obvious your challenged when it comes to directions and how easy it is to use a keyboard but whatever. I'll let it go. But next time who knows what I'll do.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
Also the direction control os much better than using keys such as w,s,d,a. Trashface

Directional control in KB+M games is a combination of keys + mouse. For instance, holding W to move forward while swinging the mouse around changes direction of movement via the mouse input.

WASD keys are thrust/vector keys as opposed to true directional keys. It's like having the WASD hand for rough movement input and the mouse hand to fine-tune that input.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

You don't need to take your thumb off to use another face button (melee). I don't at least.

Shomb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shomb22
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
For me a con for useing the keyboard is that my hands get freezing.
Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Trashface

Sigh.

For shooters gamepads suck next to the KB/M combo.

Wahoo you get analouge movement - there is the shift key to 'walk' for PC gamers. Everything else is vastly superiour.
How about the annoyance of face buttons on controlers? If I want to Melee in GeOW or Halo 3 - I have to take my thumb off the right joystick - fun! At least on a keyboard my 5 fingers are used, let alone can quickly hit other keys.

Dont get me started on the superiorily of the mouse.

And no WSAD is fine for movement. in any game. If anything its better in many instances, as its quick response - Quake, UT, Half Life, Counter Strike - hell any fps - not to mention the fine movement of the mouse counters the keys movement - making it much better than an analouge stick

Still this thread is grasping for straws.

Shooters Mouse and Keyboard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gamepad = fact

Otherwise its an opinion.

-

every game ive played on 360 and PC - that is multiplat shooter - the PC version kills the 360 one - defitnaly in controls.

Its noticeable how much better m/kb is in Bioshock, COD4, COD2, FEAR ect. ect.

skrat_01

Grasping at straws implies that I have a bias and agenda which I didn't i was being honest on both sides. You seem like a fanboy. Also, I never said one was better than the other overall. You're agreeing with me that the mouse is better.

Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Trashface

It's fairly obvious your challenged when it comes to directions and how easy it is to use a keyboard but whatever. I'll let it go. But next time who knows what I'll do.Tiefster

Well what you should do is actually back up words instead of trying to insult me baselessly. You might not look as silly.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

[QUOTE="Tiefster"]It's fairly obvious you're challenged when it comes to directions and how easy it is to use a keyboard but whatever. I'll let it go. But next time who knows what I'll do.Trashface

Well what you should do is actually back up words instead of trying to insult me baselessly. You might not look as silly.

Well first of all most games it's a matter of putting your pinky finger on shift to walk or run, if you always want to do one then there's caps. WASD is far superior for strafing especially since it's much easier to strafe and fire off accurate shots when paired with a mouse. Not to mention with a mouse it's easier to put up a decent fight against an enemy who has come up from behind you. You can turn up the controller sensitivity all you want but the chances of you being able to turn that fast and place a few good shots are slim with a controller.

I like controller, I really do. It's just when someone says controllers are better for FPS that I start to laugh and think of things I can get suspended for.
15th_archangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 15th_archangel

Wow, I didn't know there would be such fangirl responses.I guess i should have figured there would be. Toggeling the shift is much worse than using natural force with a thumbstick. Hot keys don't really matter much with shooters which is what it's about , there are ususally only a few weapons you can keep in inventory. Anyone with common sense knows just putting pressure in the direction you wanna walk in is more natural than keys. Even when I'm truthful and say they both have an advantage, fangirls can't take it. Saying I must be "directionally challenged" is just a sad kiddie attempt to insult me because your feelings got hurt. Hermits really can't accept that the pc is not superior in every single way which is sad.Trashface

Expect fangirl responses for a fangirl topic. Argue it anyway you want, it's all opinion. I used to hate M&K because when I first started getting into PC games I was an experienced console gamer and was not used to looking for keys...now I am more than used to it and find it significantly better than any controller in recent memory, save perhaps the Wiimote/nunchuck. Of course, that is just my opinion, and if you didn't want to hear it in the first place, why'd you make this topic?

Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Trashface
[QUOTE="Trashface"]

[QUOTE="Tiefster"]It's fairly obvious you're challenged when it comes to directions and how easy it is to use a keyboard but whatever. I'll let it go. But next time who knows what I'll do.Tiefster

Well first of all most games it's a matter of putting your pinky finger on shift to walk or run, if you always want to do one then there's caps. WASD is far superior for strafing especially since it's much easier to strafe and fire off accurate shots when paired with a mouse. Not to mention with a mouse it's easier to put up a decent fight against an enemy who has come up from behind you. You can turn up the controller sensitivity all you want but the chances of you being able to turn that fast and place a few good shots are slim with a controller.

I like controller, I really do. It's just when someone says controllers are better for FPS that I start to laugh and think of things I can get suspended for.

Quote where I said a contrller was better than the mouse. I said the mouse was better. One thumb to move in the direction you want that also includes sensitivity is more natural than using 4 fingers on keys. Also, the only way that I see strafing asnetter on the keyboard is that it's a set and locked direction, but I have the ability to hold my thumb steady right or left, so that doesn't apply to me.

elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 elbow2k
Member since 2007 • 1645 Posts

I just lol'd a bit.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
so that's why console shooters are much slower than pc ones ? or games like shaodwrun have to dumb down pc controls so that its equal playing field for console game ?
15th_archangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 15th_archangel
[QUOTE="15th_archangel"]

[QUOTE="Trashface"]Wow, I didn't know there would be such fangirl responses.I guess i should have figured there would be. Toggeling the shift is much worse than using natural force with a thumbstick. Hot keys don't really matter much with shooters which is what it's about , there are ususally only a few weapons you can keep in inventory. Anyone with common sense knows just putting pressure in the direction you wanna walk in is more natural than keys. Even when I'm truthful and say they both have an advantage, fangirls can't take it. Saying I must be "directionally challenged" is just a sad kiddie attempt to insult me because your feelings got hurt. Hermits really can't accept that the pc is not superior in every single way which is sad.Trashface

Expect fangirl responses for a fangirl topic. Argue it anyway you want, it's all opinion. I used to hate M&K because when I first started getting into PC games I was an experienced console gamer and was not used to looking for keys...now I am more than used to it and find it significantly better than any controller in recent memory, save perhaps the Wiimote/nunchuck. Of course, that is just my opinion, and if you didn't want to hear it in the first place, why'd you make this topic?

Wow , you're ignorant. There was nothing fangirly about the topic. Read the original post. There was nothing whiny or biased. Obviously, your feelings got hurt again which is why you made a trily whiny/ fangirly response. I guess I made a respectful post and wanted the same types of replies. Thought I might get them. guess I over estimated your intelligence. Anyway, maybe you could read the original post and make a worthy response. Probably not. I game on console and PC. I have no bias in this area. There was no hidden attempt to insult anyone. Nice job at failing and doing it hard.

lol, you may have hurt someone's feelings but certainly not mine. You said the responses to your topic were fangirl responses and I merely tried to point out that mine was simple opinion. I game on both console and pc as well and I suppose labeling your topic as fangirly was a bit rash, but I suppose I only said that because of your response to our replies. There was no hidden attempt to insult anyone like you say, but in your reply you insulted all of us that replied...and you continue to insult in your further responses.

Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Trashface
[QUOTE="Trashface"][QUOTE="15th_archangel"]

[QUOTE="Trashface"]Wow, I didn't know there would be such fangirl responses.I guess i should have figured there would be. Toggeling the shift is much worse than using natural force with a thumbstick. Hot keys don't really matter much with shooters which is what it's about , there are ususally only a few weapons you can keep in inventory. Anyone with common sense knows just putting pressure in the direction you wanna walk in is more natural than keys. Even when I'm truthful and say they both have an advantage, fangirls can't take it. Saying I must be "directionally challenged" is just a sad kiddie attempt to insult me because your feelings got hurt. Hermits really can't accept that the pc is not superior in every single way which is sad.15th_archangel

Wow , you're ignorant. There was nothing fangirly about the topic. Read the original post. There was nothing whiny or biased. Obviously, your feelings got hurt again which is why you made a trily whiny/ fangirly response. I guess I made a respectful post and wanted the same types of replies. Thought I might get them. guess I over estimated your intelligence. Anyway, maybe you could read the original post and make a worthy response. Probably not. I game on console and PC. I have no bias in this area. There was no hidden attempt to insult anyone. Nice job at failing and doing it hard.

lol, you may have hurt someone's feelings but certainly not mine. You said the responses to your topic were fangirl responses and I merely tried to point out that mine was simple opinion. I game on both console and pc as well and I suppose labeling your topic as fangirly was a bit rash, but I suppose I only said that because of your response to our replies. There was no hidden attempt to insult anyone like you say, but in your reply you insulted all of us that replied...and you continue to insult in your further responses.

I only meant a few of the responses. The ones that said I was grasping at straws and the one that said I was directionally challenged. If your original response wasn't of that nature, it didn't apply to you. Like the guy who said he LOLed alittle. Notive how he has the Portal avatar? Someone said PC controls are dumbed down for consoles. Howso? I don't meant HUD's and such. I'm talking pure directional/ aiming.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

thing better about k/m

1 much quicker to change wepons with either scroll wheel or num keys

2 quick save/qucik load buttons

3 more presis aiming, try and play fear on pc with a gamepad and you wont have much fun when you keep dying

4 more keys = more actions which make for better gameplay

5 mouse button 4/5 and spacebar are easily the quickes buttons for jumping and throwing grenades

6 right mouse is much faster for aiming than anything on the controler

7 you don't have to toggle walk run, you can just hold one button to runs and most console fps have a run button anyway so it makes not difference except in games like sc/hitman which aren't fps

8 you have much quicker to use lean keys in the form of q and e and the f key for action is faster in many cases than on a controler

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts

For me a con for useing the keyboard is that my hands get freezing.Shomb22

i hate that. you know i saw a painkiller tourney on mtv with some swede against fatality and he kept having to blow on his hands because they were freezing. think about it we are like the pros!

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

My Logitech G5 is much more accurate than an analog stick.

I prefer controller for sports, racing and platformers though. And that's why you can use 360 or any of the controllers on PC.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts
Controller all the way for me. I never had a good enough computer to play some of the most famous FPS over the past 10 years so I have been a user of the gamepad for a while now. I tried playing F.E.A.R. on my brother computer and I looked like a total jackoff playing that game because of how unskilled I am at using a keyboard and mouse for FPS. I must say that Keyboard/Mouse is the only way to go for RTS games.
Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts

I was thinking and the mouse & keyboard combo is not as superior to controllers as hermits like to think. I game on the PC and 360 and I might get a Wii for Mario Galaxy. The controller has a distinct advantage and so does the M & K. The advantage the console controller has over the M & K with shooters is the thumbstick used for walking/ running. With a keyboard, you have to toggle the walk/ run with a key whereas with a controller, you can shift from walk to run by the sensitivity of the thumbstick. This is much better than toggeling. Also the direction control os much better than using keys such as w,s,d,a. The M&K advantage s definitely the mouse. It's much better for intuitive looking around. Trashface

If a game-pad is so much more superior, then why (pray tell) do all console shooters require Auto-Aim?

Also, have you ever played a RTS on a console? How about a true Flight Sim? Saying that a game-pad controls those better is utter blasphemy.

Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Trashface

[QUOTE="Trashface"]I was thinking and the mouse & keyboard combo is not as superior to controllers as hermits like to think. I game on the PC and 360 and I might get a Wii for Mario Galaxy. The controller has a distinct advantage and so does the M & K. The advantage the console controller has over the M & K with shooters is the thumbstick used for walking/ running. With a keyboard, you have to toggle the walk/ run with a key whereas with a controller, you can shift from walk to run by the sensitivity of the thumbstick. This is much better than toggeling. Also the direction control os much better than using keys such as w,s,d,a. The M&K advantage s definitely the mouse. It's much better for intuitive looking around. Madsucktion

If a game-pad is so much more superior, then why (pray tell) do all console shooters require Auto-Aim?

Also, have you ever played a RTS on a console? How about a true Flight Sim? Saying that a game-pad controls those better is utter blasphemy.

Reread and find where I EVER said a controller is superior. I said each had advantages. Also, not every FPS on consoles use auto aim.

tramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tramp
Member since 2003 • 2110 Posts

I'm guessing you have a 360, why don't you plugthe padinto your PC & challenge one of the hermits here to prove your point :).

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

M+K is vastly better than controlers for FPS games. It's obvious, in a game where accuracy depends on input precision that using your whole arm (ie mouse) would be far superior. The benefit of a large number of keys is also a big help when dealing with things like weapon selection or misc commands. Ever notice how in console shooters especially the enemies always come from right in front of you? It's because turning on consoles is crippled.

I like FPS games on consoles, and I don't play them on PC, but its obvious that as far as input precision goes, M+K is way better. There's a reason why the #1 COD 4 PS3 player uses a fragFX.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="Madsucktion"]

[QUOTE="Trashface"]I was thinking and the mouse & keyboard combo is not as superior to controllers as hermits like to think. I game on the PC and 360 and I might get a Wii for Mario Galaxy. The controller has a distinct advantage and so does the M & K. The advantage the console controller has over the M & K with shooters is the thumbstick used for walking/ running. With a keyboard, you have to toggle the walk/ run with a key whereas with a controller, you can shift from walk to run by the sensitivity of the thumbstick. This is much better than toggeling. Also the direction control os much better than using keys such as w,s,d,a. The M&K advantage s definitely the mouse. It's much better for intuitive looking around. Trashface

Reread and find where I EVER said a controller is superior. I said each had advantages. Also, not every FPS on consoles use auto aim.

well it's called Aim Assist. You're fooling yourself if you think that FPS on consoles do NOT have it.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

Trashface

Grasping at straws implies that I have a bias and agenda which I didn't i was being honest on both sides. You seem like a fanboy. Also, I never said one was better than the other overall. You're agreeing with me that the mouse is better.

Im a realist.
Is0tope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Is0tope
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The only advantage really is the movement speed thing. I will agree there have been times where i have wanted to move maybe a tad slower than crouch. As for directional movement it doesnt matter. Yes you get more movement directions on the gamepad, but it really does bugger all since M/K use a different system of "trimming" their movement vector using the mouse and keys.
Thebettertwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Thebettertwin
Member since 2005 • 1051 Posts
gamepads are superior than k/m for games cos of one fact. here it is hermits: ganepads are designed exclusively for gameing while k/m are not."but butk/m is more accurate" big deal the gamepad wins in comfort and useability.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts
I think w, s, d, a is better than using the analog stick and who the heck walks in an FPS game other than FPS stealth games, which is a rare sighting itself on all platforms and I could just bind toggle walk/run button on my shift key.
marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

I think w, s, d, a is better than using the analog stick and who the heck walks in an FPS game other than FPS stealth games, which is a rare sighting itself on all platforms and I could just bind toggle walk/run button on my shift key.Supafly1

what? hermits go on and on about a mouse being more accurate for aiming, yet when it comes to movement suddenly clunky left, right, up, down is superior?

Jelle87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jelle87
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

As long as you play against someone who uses the same controller or is using a keyboard - mouse too.

Who gives a crap? Honoustly, who the hell cares, singleplayer is adjusted among multiplats and in multiplayer everyone has the same control scheme anyway. :roll:

I'm just much more comfortable on my couch with a controller than with a laptop on my lap.

StarkJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StarkJJ
Member since 2004 • 534 Posts

I was thinking and the mouse & keyboard combo is not as superior to controllers as hermits like to think. I game on the PC and 360 and I might get a Wii for Mario Galaxy. The controller has a distinct advantage and so does the M & K. The advantage the console controller has over the M & K with shooters is the thumbstick used for walking/ running. With a keyboard, you have to toggle the walk/ run with a key whereas with a controller, you can shift from walk to run by the sensitivity of the thumbstick. This is much better than toggeling. Also the direction control os much better than using keys such as w,s,d,a. The M&K advantage s definitely the mouse. It's much better for intuitive looking around. Trashface

I completely agree. Whereas console controls are slowly innovating(Wii), PC gamers are still PAINFULLY using the blocky keyboard (not designed for games, but for TYPING) and mouse. The mouse is fine as it's accurate and comfortable...but the keyboard?? Sorry guys, but Keyboard and Mouse is just GHETTO to use at this point. There is a reason why the vast majority of people game on consoles and not PC.

Paktahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Paktahn
Member since 2002 • 2093 Posts
In many cases it is and I have a 360 controller hooked up to my PC in case I encounter a situation where a controller would be better. I don't get much use out of it because I buy sports and racing games on 360 and use a joystick for flight/space sims.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Walking in an fps why? why would I do this anyway? its daft .. keyboard for movement does the job, twitching run around a corner is more effective than walking. you then also have the 5 buttons on the mouse and the keys around WASD which make other actions equicker.

KB/Mouse superior genres:

Shooters ( all kinds )

Strategy ( all kinds )

Simulation ( All kinds )

WRPG ( Yes it is by a mile ... )

MMORPGs ( No brainer )

Adventure ( PROPER adventures )

KB/Mouse equal genres:

Racing ( Im sorry but if you cant twitch a key as good as an analog thats YOUR problem not mine )

Controller superior genres:

fighting

Arcade Simulators

Platformers

Hell even the Grand Theft Auto games are easier on the PC ... except flying :P

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

Walking in an fps why? why would I do this anyway? its daft .. keyboard for movement does the job, twitching run around a corner is more effective than walking. you then also have the 5 buttons on the mouse and the keys around WASD which make other actions equicker.

Shooters ( all kinds )

Strategy ( all kinds )

Simulation ( All kinds )

MMORPGs ( No brainer )

KB/Mouse equal genres:

Racing ( Im sorry but if you cant twitch a key as good as an analog thats YOUR problem not mine )

fighting

Arcade Simulators

Platformers

Meu2k7

lol, so keys are equal to analogue sticks for racing games?!! but analogue sticks arent equal to a mouse for aiming in shooters?

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
*Goes off and play's Medal of Honor Heroes 2...poor hermits, they really don't know what their missing out here when I play this game...thank god I get the best of both worlds...*
SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts
M&KB > Wiimote >>>>>>>>>>>> Gamepad
Thebettertwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Thebettertwin
Member since 2005 • 1051 Posts

Shooters ( all kinds )

agree with this

Strategy ( all kinds )

agreed

Simulation ( All kinds )

ME plays perfectly on controller oh wait its not on pc so we cant compare this game what a shame

KOTOR plays equally well on xbox pc

MMORPGs ( No brainer )

agreed

dont see how K/M has the advantage here

KB/Mouse equal genres:

no way in hell controller is far better than K/M, pressure sensitive triggers say hello

fighting

Arcade Simulators

Platformers

Meu2k7
Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

Hermits really can't accept that the pc is not superior in every single way which is sad.Trashface

I think your argument about walking and running on a stick is most definately over-rated. It just doesn't matter. Using pressure on an thumbstick just doesn't add that much to gameplay. Either you need to run, or you need to walk. With todays modern mice, you could simply either toggle run/walk with a mouse button, or use the scroll wheel ala Splinter Cell.

Either way,it is an extremely minor or no advantage at all for FPS style games.

There are just way too many advantages of mouse/key. As you said, the mouse for aiming is great. But also, all the keys available to a PC game allows developers to put more into the game, or makes inventories and such much easier to navigate.

For RPG, RTS, Adventure and FPS games, the mouse and keyboard thoroughly trounce a gamepad.

/topic.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 skrat_01

*Goes off and play's Medal of Honor Heroes 2...poor hermits, they really don't know what their missing out here when I play this game...thank god I get the best of both worlds...*-CheeseEater-
You can use a Wiimote with your PC, for any FPS.

If anything - my cousin has told me Crysis with a Wiimote is amazing - on his 42" LCD screen.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

Shooters ( all kinds )

agree with this

Strategy ( all kinds )

agreed

Simulation ( All kinds )

ME plays perfectly on controller oh wait its not on pc so we cant compare this game what a shame

KOTOR plays equally well on xbox pc

MMORPGs ( No brainer )

agreed

dont see how K/M has the advantage here

KB/Mouse equal genres:

no way in hell controller is far better than K/M, pressure sensitive triggers say hello

fighting

Arcade Simulators

Platformers

Thebettertwin

Mmkay first off - WRPGs. No seriously Mouse and Keyboard makes a huge difference. Being able to Macro abilities ona keyboard - let alone have mouse aim would be a godsend in ME, and I played Kotor on PC and Xbox, and the KB/M setup was much more efficent. ANd then there are all those other WRPGs. Be it point and click (Witcher) or direct control (gothic, oblivion).

By adventure he means point and click. with a mouse its far less akward than with an analouge stick (Sherlock Holms the Awakened, Sam and Max ect).

-Racing you are right. Keyboard works - but it is knowhere as good as a gamepad. I cant stress that enough. But a wheel does kill a gamepad also - unless the game is Burnout.

-------

The rest I cant dispute - exept - arcade - KB+M is better in many instances. Metal Slug, Street Fighter, 1946 - all feel much better without a 360 pad (Dpad and stick)- and just fine. Does depend on the pad though.

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
Its a good thing PC's have the largest selection of keyboards mice controllers and wheels 8)
Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Trashface

I'm guessing you have a 360, why don't you plugthe padinto your PC & challenge one of the hermits here to prove your point :).

tramp

Only high speed I can get here is satelitte. It's super weak. Too much latency for PvP. You gotta buy a special USB to controller cable?

Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts
Keyboard/Mouse is superior to controllers. If you took 2 highly skilled players from a console and pc, the pc would dominate because of the ability to quickly move and use flick shots.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

Shooters ( all kinds )

Strategy ( all kinds )

Simulation ( All kinds )

MMORPGs ( No brainer )

KB/Mouse equal genres:

fighting

Arcade Simulators

Platformers

marklarmer

lol, so keys are equal to analogue sticks for racing games?!! but analogue sticks arent equal to a mouse for aiming in shooters?

Yes thats exactly right? why is that funny? Racing requires alot less precision than Shooting..

Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts
[QUOTE="marklarmer"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

Shooters ( all kinds )

Strategy ( all kinds )

Simulation ( All kinds )

MMORPGs ( No brainer )

KB/Mouse equal genres:

fighting

Arcade Simulators

Platformers

Meu2k7

Yes thats exactly right? why is that funny? Racing requires alot less precision than Shooting..

Hey Marklarmer, Meu2k7 is right. You can't do flick shots on a console. Of course you probably didn't know that or don't know what that is.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#50 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Right now, the Wii-mote has proven that it's just as equal to the K&M in terms of precision on FPS, if not superior than it, due to also having an analog stick for movement. Just play games like Metroid Prime 3 and Metal of Honor Heroes 2, and you'll realize the full potential of FPS with the Wiimote.

I jumped on the Wii bandwagon when it first came out because I could envision it standing on even ground with the Keyboard and Mouse in FPS. I always loved the console, especially for racing and sports games, but I would never fully enjoy playing a FPS on a console without compromising the precise aim of a mouse. This is coming from a hermit who converted to the Wii.