More Switch 2 rumours: So a PS4/Wiiu/3DS? DF and other stuff.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

I didn't see a topic on this so thought I'd stick one up. As always: it's on the internet so it should all be taken as 100% fact :P.

The TL:DR is that the switch 2 could (but probably won't be) a wiiu/3DS hybrid with the horsepower of a PS4...ish.

First: DF have a vid up on the possible intenals makeup of the switch 2:

The TL;DW is:

All in all basically a portable PS4-ish (Maybe a PS4 pro when docked) with a few more tricks up it's sleeve. I didn't see a spec for ram but I suspect 6-8GB.

I suspect the CPU core count will be lower though and clocks could be anywhere.

The other thing of note: A patent (which, as we all know, Nintendo always uses /s).

https://gamerant.com/nintendo-patent-detachable-dual-screen-gaming-device/

Sooo....a Portable PS43DSU? It could definitely be a very comprehensive package in terms of BC. That's basically all mainline consoles and handhelds on the hardware front covered (just analogue dual stage triggers needed for the GC). All nintendos wackiness in a box basically. Also makes a Xenoblade X port easier so more than 5 people may get a chance to play it. A bit of Labo and the Virtual boy would also be sorted :P.

I like this idea but with 2 big problems.

1) Cost. 2 screens (possibly 3, the patent is a bit odd in places). Some pretty robust wireless needed to stream to the gamepad part. Other bits and bobs. It's going to add up.

2) The wii U was a disaster. If you were to draw a Venn Diagram of games that would benefit from having 2 screens and games made for the wiiu, there would be very little overlap. Game support for such a systems extras would be very questionable.

IF (BIG FRICKIN IF) this is in the right ball park then Nintendo would also need to have an actual honest to god plan to make the system shine.

The wiiu was an interesting idea though. I reckon Nintendo have a build of BOTW somewhere that has a load of ideas for the wiiu that had to be scrapped as the game also needed to work on the switch and the Switch does not do dual screens.

I'd also like to see an upgraded version of the 3DS screen in such a device.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45118 Posts

*takes in air* I love the smell of Switch 2 rumors!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

One thing for sure, it will be incredibly underpowered, and made for those who use it once per week.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23917 Posts

Saw this a while back, but not likely happening.

Nintendo are patenting a lot of different ideas to protect them. Even if they have no plan on using them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

While I’m super hyped for the Switch 2 I’m not going to pay too much attention to rumours. I’ll wait for Nintendo to officially reveal it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

:P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By osan0

@Heil68: ....I'd buy that. Looks great! Top Notch engineering right there :P.

@Maroxad: yeah more than likely that's all the patent is. The more I think on it the more I think such a device wouldn't really be workable. Basically thinking of 2 switches back to back...a bit heavy and cumbersome for Nintendos liking. Though no worse than a steam deck either I suppose.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5251 Posts

I really do not understand why some on this forum still think that Nintendo will cater to their wishes as often they end up disappointed. It is quite obvious in the last several generations that Nintendo no longer appeals to them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

They're going to need a first party line-up to sell a new system, I don't think the the idea of playing XB1/PS4 games on it will be enough by itself, people already have that with the Switch anyways.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1054 Posts

I hope it has a 3D screen like the New 3DS.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osan0

@lamprey263: Oh yeah definitely. That's always been true of Nintendos systems though. At the end of the day the most software sold on any Nintendo device is Nintendo Software. I reckon, at this stage, Metroid Prime 4 is now a Switch 2 title. It just doesn't make any sense to release it for the switch now. The next 3D Mario platformer should also be good to go. Odyssey was released a long time ago. It will be interesting to see what else they have brewing.

@girlusocraz: Assuming it is a 3DS/Wiiu Hybrid, Yeah a 3D screen would be cool. I liked it on the 3DS too. An improved version of the tech was shown on laptops a year or 2 ago so....maybe? Though with that, on top of everything else, it could make the system pricey.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
@osan0 said:

@lamprey263: Oh yeah definitely. That's always been true of Nintendos systems though. At the end of the day the most software sold on any Nintendo device is Nintendo Software. I reckon, at this stage, Metroid Prime 4 is now a Switch 2 title. It just doesn't make any sense to release it for the switch now. The next 3D Mario platformer should also be good to go. Odyssey was released a long time ago. It will be interesting to see what else they have brewing.

@girlusocraz: Assuming it is a 3DS/Wiiu Hybrid, Yeah a 3D screen would be cool. I liked it on the 3DS too. An improved version of the tech was shown on laptops a year or 2 ago so....maybe? Though with that, on top of everything else, it could make the system pricey.

I had to turn off the 3D on so many 3DS games. I like 3D movies, but the stereoscopic 3D just doesn't work for me in video games. It worked OK in starfox or for slower moving games. I'd even say some of the more simplistic and retro 2D games where the foreground popped were the most cool. A gimmick, but a pretty cool gimmick. Anything fast moving or w/ lots of stuff going on the screen it would constantly cause me double vision, the 3D would go out of focus for me, so I'd either have to turn off the 3D real quick or it would probably cause me to crash/die. Ironically the 3D worked best for me in games with a 2D aesthetic.

I play my Switch hooked to the TV 90% of the time, so a 3D screen would do absolutely nothing for me. That would emphasize the handheld aspect of the device even more than it already is - something i'd prefer they not do (not unless they go back to making it a separate product for home console, probably not likely). If it's going back to a dual screen that would be very weird. It would be cool if you could use the Switch tablet screen while also playing on the big screen (for maps and other features, ala the Wii-U). Maybe even going back and forth for certain things. There are wireless technologies that should make that possible. I didn't think the tablet screen on the Wii-U was a horrible idea, even if clumsily/cheaply executed. Obviously the Wii-U flopped (and not all devs made use of it). But using a higher quality device for level maps and inventory management should be a no brainer in many games. I wouldn't mind that as part of a Switch 2. The one issue is the poor battery life issue is likely inescapable, especially if you are sending a wireless video signal to a TV (likely even more of a battery drain). I appreciate that the pro controllers last a good amount of time on Switch.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12960 Posts

My interest is piqued. I am ready for gen 10.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0

@2Chalupas: I liked the 3D. Always kept it on. Keeping it in the sweet spot for the original model was a bit of a pain mind. It was improved big time for the new 3DS though. There is a further improved version floating around now in some newer laptops too.

Nintendos own statistics also point to a very even usage split between docked and portable mode. So plenty of people would get use out of the portable aspect of the system.

Assuming the device has a dual screen capability, I think it would need to have 2 screens for portable mode as well rather than 2 screens only being an option in docked mode. Devs are reluctant enough as it is to use anything that is not standard issue. Having it only available in one mode would just be another reason for devs to not play with the feature.

But cost would be a biggest concern with all this stuff. The newer 3D tech needs eye tracking to work properly. The full package Ps43DSIIU idea could well cost as much as a PS5 Digital edition and more than an XSS. It would be an....er....interesting price point.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1005 Posts

With the games they put out they don't need a PS4 ish console unless they are going to make games on a scale of the PS4. But I don't see how much Zelda,Pokemon and a bunch of Mario titles will benefit from it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 osan0

@eni232 said:

With the games they put out they don't need a PS4 ish console unless they are going to make games on a scale of the PS4. But I don't see how much Zelda,Pokemon and a bunch of Mario titles will benefit from it.

Oh there is definitely room for improvement even with Nintendos usual art style. There are some games, even from Nintendo, where it is very apparent that the switch is really struggling.

Xenoblade 3 was one of them recently. On the one hand its quite impressive that such a game is running on the switch at all. But the image quality really takes a battering due to very aggressive usage of upscaling to keep the performance hovering somewhere around 30.

Metroid Prime Remake is also impressive on the switch: but Prime is also a type of game that can really benefit from more horsepower.

Something like Pikmin would like it too.

Another thing to note: Even if nintendo decide to stick to PS3/360 level tech and asset detail and use more brute force to get a better result (which is unlikely)...that does have very clear benefits. I was playing Arkham City on my PC and had it running at 4K. It was still a pretty nice looking game. Clearly a lot better than the PS3 or 360 version. The image was sharp, there was still a lot of detail to see and very minimal odd artifacts. The lighting was basic compared to today and animations were a bit robotic by todays standards. But still good.

Taking something like Xenoblade 3 and running at a higher rest with some AA....it wouldn't be a technical marvel but it would still be a nice looking game. Certainly a better looker than it is on the switch.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts

Not sure what I'll do for switch 2. Definitely not day 1, definitely not raging in a line at Walmart or whatever for a pre-order. Will let Nintendo roll out their plans and see what's up. If their focus is more Mario kart and smash brothers it's an easy pass.... If they kick off with a few sp games I could be swayed

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts

I personally want another traditional console from Nintendo, but that's not gonna happen. If they made two consoles, one for those who don't give a shit about graphics and gives lots of shit about portability, and the other for those who just want to play Nintendo games with the best controls and graphics possible, I'd choose the latter any day.