uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

Could this be a surprise hit everyone regrets dunkin' on?

Is this the opposite of Cyberpunk? Where it's you, that gets punked?

Here's another look at The Lord of The Rings: Gollum

Ahead of its arrival later this year.

With several delays now behind it, a release is finally in sight for The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - and ahead of its arrival later this year, developer Daedelic Entertainment has shared a fresh look at its stealthy action in a new gameplay trailer.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum is, if you're unaware, forging something of a unusual path through Middle-earth, taking its wide-eyed protagonist on an adventure that promises moments of both "subtle tactical stealth" and "fast-paced parkour action" across a mixture of open levels and more linear missions.

It's a journey - one set before the events of The Lord of the Rings, chronology fans - that'll span some familiar locales, ranging from the the mountains of Mordor to Mirkwood Forest. And it's all shot through with an intriguing branching narrative element that'll affect gameplay situations, dialogue, even animations and sound, depending on whether players give prominence to Gollum or the Smeagol.

We've had various glimpses of The Lord of Rings: Gollum since its announcement back in 2019 - plus, Eurogamer's Victoria Kennedy got to witness a larger chunk of the game in May last year - and Daedelic's latest trailer offers a blend of both old and new. Pleasingly, though, it does (to my eyes at least) look considerably more polished this time around.

How it'll all come together is anyone's guess, but I'm hopeful the unusual approach Daedelic (a studio best known for its point-and-click adventures) is taking to Tolkein's universe - and one of its most intriguing characters - will pay off. All will be revealed when The Lord of the Rings: Gollum launches for PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and Switch later this year.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8209 Posts

Don't see any fun gameplay

He looks mad goofy tho, what's up with this character model..

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SargentD

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
@sargentd said:

Don't see any fun gameplay

He looks mad goofy tho, what's up with this character model..

Story-trailer. Literally says it in the title lol

Janky looking animations aside, one of probably, one people who likes the art-direction.

So sick of mocap face-scan shit now it's nice to see a more stylized game that looks like something from a fairy-tail book.

Wait to see what the Steam reviews say, could be complete trash, some mid-ass Ass Creed clone (i.e. trash) but not writing this off.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

WB should have just made a new Middle-Earth 3 game with Talion as the lead and then, include Gollum for obviously stealth side missions and even the Middle-Earth games did Gollum justice, he's nothing like from his Middle-Earth counterpart likeness. Not saying this game will be shit, (well it kinda is) but this is a waste of resource by developers.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
@sargentd said:

Looks great. :)

Also like the design of the Elfs, looks very different from the usual interchangeable stuff. And again, looks like a fairy-tale character.

This game's gonna be a banger. Can see it coming. An underground hit appreciated by real gamers.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Day 1 for me. Big fan of Daedelic storytelling. This game will be a sleeper hit.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

Hopefully it does well but it's a tough sell. To paraphrase a youtube comment i saw: "Who thought anyone would really want to play as Gollum?".

He's an interesting character to watch. But as to play as in a game? Hmm.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3399 Posts

I'll just repeat myself. Gollum could make for an awesome stealth game but this will probably suck.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

@davillain: oh I like that idea!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

Will most likely be an ok game. Pretty cool artstyle. I personally dislike the Gollum character that the movies did though, find him really annoying, and since he seems based off of that, I'll most likely pass.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

It’ll be interesting to see how this game does. I’m interested enough in the IP, so they have that going for the then. And with a lack of LOTR content video game wise, I’m just glad we’re getting something. I’m also curious how much investment was given for the game. LOTR is a massive money maker.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It does look kind of poor, or rather really poor lol. But I have a soft spot for adventures like this so I may give it a go anywat. I mean at least it's not a service game.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts

Ouch, they've been developing this for how long now? tsk it really does look like a upscaled PS3 game

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Didn't know it was going to be for PS3, that's pretty sweet.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

Gollum sneaks around avoiding social contact and is wide eyed about everything.

In other words he is just like me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@sargentd said:

Also like the design of the Elfs, looks very different from the usual interchangeable stuff. And again, looks like a fairy-tale character.

This game's gonna be a banger. Can see it coming. An underground hit appreciated by real gamers.

Where 99% of people will go "ew, the graphics" and will not even give it a chance after that.

Oh well.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SargentD

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@sargentd said:

Where 99% of people will go "ew, the graphics" and will not even give it a chance after that.

Oh well.

Yeah I think he looks goofy.

That's not the main reason I'm not interested tho.

It's the whole "sneak around as gollumn" thing I don't care much about. Maybe they will show some fun gameplay or something. Looks super bare bones imo and the concept just sounds like a snoozefest. Could be a banger, could be the most borring movie game ever.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup
@R4gn4r0k said:

Oh well.

If it's a smaller company with less resources give them some slack, as long as the game is engaging.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2139 Posts

Why Gollum? Rather be a Ring wraith or the Witch King.