Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Servers overloaded also.

Developer of Medieval multiplayer melee slasher Mordhau apologises after unexpectedly strong launch hobbles servers

Currently Steam's 11th most popular game.

Mordhau is a medieval multiplayer slasher built around first-person hand-to-hand combat. It's daft, gory, and has rocketed up Steam's concurrent player chart since launching on April 29th. Unfortunately, its sudden success has caught developer Triternion off-guard, with wonky server performance rather spoiling the fun of lopping someone's head off with a well-swung sword.

It's not particularly hard to see why a game of chaotic battlefield mayhem, in which everyone runs around with wild abandon armed with a variety of pointy, stabby things, might capture people's imagination enough to turn it into Steam's 11th most popular title at the time of writing - especially given its sharp visuals, in-depth character customisation, and surprisingly nuanced melee combat. And players are having great fun sharing memories of flying limbs and entrails from the likes of Mordhau's 64-player team death match and battle royale modes.

Unfortunately, all that attention hasn't been too kind to Mordhau's servers, and developer Triternion has now apologised for the game's less-than-satisfactory online performance. "The current state of the game is not the one we wanted you to experience at launch," the developer wrote in a post to Steam, "It might sound cliché, but we were not able to keep up with the rapidly growing playerbase in this short amount of time."

Despite the early-days wobbles, though, Triternion appears to be making good progress hammering bits of server back together with staples and duct tape or however it works. To date, it's managed to fix its gold and XP rewards system, so that both are being distributed properly. All problems with unlocks in the armoury should now be resolved too, and new Server Browser options have been instated, enabling players to filter via server name and ping limit.

All the same, Triternion acknowledges that there's still work to be done, noting that, "Our top priority right now is to iron out the stability problems with our Official Servers, as well as bugs with the Matchmaker." It also says that it's looking into ways to compensate the playerbase, which is a nice gesture. Hopefully its teething troubles will be resolved soon, and players can return to maiming with gleeful abandon, free from online woes.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

Game reminds me of Chivalry, I can see why it's popular. But I'm probably not going to get it anytime soon.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Makes me want bannerlord more... Not really into MP games.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

It is making a lot of sales it is the top seller on Steam and already has 5k+ reviews

Avatar image for deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
Member since 2017 • 155 Posts

I wanted to try it but aren't sure. The large scale battles looked cool but then when I watch streams it's just guys pissing about with pans and rakes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup

@lemmingslayer said:

it's just guys pissing about with pans and rakes.

All wars prior to guns.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

This is like Battlefield. But it's swords and horses instead of guns and tanks.

TBH, I'm kinda interested in buying it. But it's not yet payday.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

https://steamdb.info/app/629760/graphs/ Pretty impressive. 60,000-player peak on Steam, currently at #7.

Castle sieges probably scratching that never ending Mount & Blade 2 itch.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Damn its doing a lot better than Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Game has some technical issues but its incredibly fun when it works properly

had some glorious rounds earlier

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@vaeh said:

Castle sieges probably scratching that never ending Mount & Blade 2 itch.

It's a very popular genre. Pretty far from niche'.

Bannerlords sales will be mega, mega huge.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The thing that probably really helps, is the option to play together against A.I. instead of against humans in small teams. Even though the A.I. isn't fantastic I hear. Because people seem to forget easily that so many of us are not competitive by nature. Co-operative boardgames are also very popular I think for this reason. I also think that is why the largest scale BF games are so popular: due to the very large team-size you lose a lot of the negatives associated with competitive play. Players are not breathing down your neck judging you at every turn, and they are not going to blame you for doing anything wrong.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

it sold just shy of 500k copies in its first week

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points