MOOT? HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slduncanlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 slduncanlaw
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

What if instead of either format winning, downloadable HD content like that on Xbox LIVE becomes the new high definition standard?

acviper123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 acviper123
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

That is what will most likely happen.

Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
That is what is projected long term (and it has been giving ISP's fits cause of the bandwidth). And with duel-format players coming if the war is to be won it has to be won soon.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
No, not everyone plans to download their stuff. Besides, waiting + not everyone has high speed connection.
Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts
I'd prefer HD-DVD to win.  Its cheaper, looks better, and ive liked it from the start.  I'm a bit annoyed that Blu-ray is currently winning because of the PS3's numbers.  What a terrible way to win a movie format war with a "gaming" consoles sales numbers.  Terrible, shallow and a slap in the face attempt by Sony to not allow another format war go sour for them. 
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts
I'd prefer HD-DVD to win.  Its cheaper, looks better, and ive liked it from the start.  I'm a bit annoyed that Blu-ray is currently winning because of the PS3's numbers.  What a terrible way to win a movie format war with a "gaming" consoles sales numbers.  Terrible, shallow and a slap in the face attempt by Sony to not allow another format war go sour for them.  mynamesdenvrmax
Just because PS3's sold != bluray movie watchers. Many of those PS3s are to be hooked up to 480i sets. Where as every single HD DVD player sold == HD DVD movie watcher.
Avatar image for michaelareb0001
michaelareb0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 michaelareb0001
Member since 2005 • 1366 Posts

I really think downloadable content has further to go than HD-DVD or Blu-Ray does to becoming the standard. Even with the fastest, most stable connection, you're still looking at several hours to download a HD movie. I think with my Comcast 6MBps (yeah right :roll:) connection a 3GB file would take over a  day to download. Then there's the problem with storage, 10 HD movies is gonna fill up most hard drives (remember most people buy bottom of the line Dells or something from Best Buy, even a 120GB HDD is gonna fill up fast.)

Plus, people like tangeable products, I stopped buying DVDs years ago, getting my stuff through the interwebs, but I have less technologically advanced friends who still buy and rent DVDs weekly, if not daily.

I don't think it matters whether Blu-Ray or HD-DVD wins, I have both, and despite what anyone on this board says, they look identical, it all depends on the studio and the source material. As far as picture and audio quality goes, neither format has an advantage. HD-DVD players may be cheaper, but Blu-Ray has more studio support.

If the format war won't be decided for a few more years, the cost of the two will be about equal. So it's really a toss up at this point. But it's gonna be years (upwards of 5 to 10) before internet connections fast enough to download and even stream HD movies becomes the standard.

The best all around way to get HD is like an on demand service from Comcast or Cox and then record to a DVR (I'm not sure thats even possible, but you get the idea.)

If you can run out and Buy or Rent a disc faster than you can download it, the discs will keep downloadable HD in the dark for at least this gen.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
[QUOTE="mynamesdenvrmax"]I'd prefer HD-DVD to win.  Its cheaper, looks better, and ive liked it from the start.  I'm a bit annoyed that Blu-ray is currently winning because of the PS3's numbers.  What a terrible way to win a movie format war with a "gaming" consoles sales numbers.  Terrible, shallow and a slap in the face attempt by Sony to not allow another format war go sour for them.  mikasa
Just because PS3's sold != bluray movie watchers. Many of those PS3s are to be hooked up to 480i sets. Where as every single HD DVD player sold == HD DVD movie watcher.

Yeah, but how many people that bought a PS3 won't even both getting an HD-DVD player? I have rented a few blu-ray movies so far, but have yet to actually purchase any.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="mynamesdenvrmax"]I'd prefer HD-DVD to win.  Its cheaper, looks better, and ive liked it from the start.  I'm a bit annoyed that Blu-ray is currently winning because of the PS3's numbers.  What a terrible way to win a movie format war with a "gaming" consoles sales numbers.  Terrible, shallow and a slap in the face attempt by Sony to not allow another format war go sour for them.  Bgrngod

Yeah, but how many people that bought a PS3 won't even both getting an HD-DVD player? I have rented a few blu-ray movies so far, but have yet to actually purchase any.

Also keep in mind that bluray will experience a spike in sales until PS3 actually gets a couple good games on it. The PS3 will either collect dust or play movies for a few more months.
slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 slystallion26
Member since 2005 • 819 Posts
I'd prefer HD-DVD to win. Its cheaper, looks better, and ive liked it from the start. I'm a bit annoyed that Blu-ray is currently winning because of the PS3's numbers. What a terrible way to win a movie format war with a "gaming" consoles sales numbers. Terrible, shallow and a slap in the face attempt by Sony to not allow another format war go sour for them. mynamesdenvrmax

Shame on sony for thinking up a great strategy that will strenthen their bottom line....profit..

shame on them sir
slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slystallion26
Member since 2005 • 819 Posts
Very unlikely that downloadable content becomes the new standard...especially if only video game systems provide that service.

Most people will own pc's and most people would like to watch their content on a big screen tv.

Also companies can protect their copyrights a little better than just mere downloading.

It is a bit of a delusional fantasy to think that xbox live is big enough to create a new standard for hi def movies.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I don't think it'll matter to the console war.