Monster Hunter 4 on 3DS is one ugly game!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f3Mkg5akewM

It looks like an N64 or Playstation game in parts. There's just something so blocky, chuncky, low-res and garish looking about all the level graphics. It's like if this were a PC game it would be on the lowest settings, all the texture effects would be turned off or set to the lowest res possible and the lighting was completely flat or something. It just looks wrong. Seriously, ugly!

Edit: It might just be the stretched video itself that is doing the game an injustice but the textures on the levels definitely still looke very low-res and blurry in places.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

It looks like an N64 or Playstation game in parts. There's just something so block, chuncky, low-res and garish looking about all the level graphics. It's like if this were a PC game it would be on the lowest settings, all the texture effects would be turned off and the lighting was completely flat or something. It just looks wrong. Seriously, ugly!

amaneuvering
its a 3ds game it wont be a picasso master piece.
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

on the smaller screen it will look better, but yeah isn't good. Although I don't think MH3 Wii version was anything special either on more powerrful hardware.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Yeah well looks about the same as the monster hunter game I played on the psp (don't know which one). The 3DS is not very powerful.

DNAbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DNAbro
Member since 2010 • 377 Posts

It looks slightly better than the PSP monster hunter games with a more vibrant art style.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Yeah well looks about the same as the monster hunter game I played on the psp (don't know which one). The 3DS is not very powerful.

parkurtommo

Going by Revelations, it's plenty powerful.

Anyway I'll wait until we get some more footage or a demo. It clearly has some blockiness to it though.

joojtzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joojtzu
Member since 2011 • 1118 Posts
Who cares it will be the most epic game on handhelds ever created. Tri is brilliant and this looks to be a better overall game.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Yeah some of the environment looks pretty bad, but it looks great in other aspects.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Blame the scale, looks pretty epic otherwise.

Going by Revelations, it's plenty powerful.

Anyway I'll wait until we get some more footage or a demo. It clearly has some blockiness to it though.

ChubbyGuy40

Revelations is mostly just corridors though.

awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 awakeningland
Member since 2012 • 104 Posts
Graphics graphics graphics. It's Monster Hunter, don't worry about it. It will be awesome.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 amaneuvering

To me it looks like they've maybe stretched really small textures over large geometry areas so everything looks really blurry and repetitive or something. The texture colors also look overly saturated and garish, with different color palettes that don't seem to look good together. It looks like the visual issues are entirely due tothe strange textures. There's just something very wrong going on visually. I seriously could not play and enjoy this game looking like that. Every second playing the game I would just be distracted by the really weird and ugly look of it. I'm not a graphics whore, I mean I absolutely love the simple 2D graphics on games like F-Zero, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Smash TV etc, so it's not like I need cutting edge visuals, but this just looks extremely ugly artisitcally and personally I actually do have to find the visuals in any game attractive in their own right, irrespective of how technically advanced they are, or else I can't enjoy the game. Very disappointing for such a huge franchise. It's almost as if they've moved it to a C-team or something.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

It looks more like a platformer where you're running AWAY from monsters and getting to the end of a stage. There is also too much of cinematics and way too less of hunting. It looks nothing like MHFU where as soon as you saw the Tigrex, you went to spank it. What is Capcom doing?

I want MH4 for PSP or PS Vita since both are more powerful than NDS. As for the video posted, it looks fugly. Too blocky and low res textures with extremely bad AA. THe art style sucks too because of too many vibrant colors and none of that old gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like MHFU where you were hunting the most overpowered beasts ever in gaming. It was frustrating, but kind of satisfying after beating a mission and it looked much better than MH4 too.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Handheld games have always looked 5x uglier from a recorded video than they look in real life.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

To me it looks like they've maybe stretched really small textures over large geometry areas so everything looks really blurry

amaneuvering
Uh, the screen of the 3DS is like half the size of that video, dude.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

To me it looks like they've maybe stretched really small textures over large geometry areas so everything looks really blurry

nethernova

It's not the size of the actual video I'm on about but the actual resolution of the textures as they appear on the geometry. It looks like they've taken really small texture maps/images, say 32x32 pixels, and stretched them over a large surface, then maybe tried to fix it slightly by smoothing everything (see blurring), to the point that they look really stretched and blurry or something. Kinda like you might have seen on the N64 many years ago, but somehow it seems even worse here.

2ymatmu.jpg

I mean look at the background in this screen I quickly grabbed from the video. It's like they used a few pixesl and stretched them over quite a big area then just blurred them to high heaven.It just looks wrong and fugly.

awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 awakeningland

[QUOTE="nethernova"][QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

amaneuvering

It's not the size of the actual video I'm on about but the actual resolution of the textures as they appear on the geometry. It looks like they've taken really small texture maps/images, say 32x32 pixels, and stretched them over a large surface, then maybe tried to fix it slightly by smoothing everything (see blurring), to the point that they look really stretched and blurry or something. Kinda like you might have seen on the N64 many years ago, but somehow it seems even worse here. It just looks wrong and fugly.

Graphics aren't important, it looks fine and you wont notice. It's how it plays which will make it awesome.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Is this a PSone game for the 3DS...??lol
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="nethernova"] Uh, the screen of the 3DS is like half the size of that video, dude.awakeningland

It's not the size of the actual video I'm on about but the actual resolution of the textures as they appear on the geometry. It looks like they've taken really small texture maps/images, say 32x32 pixels, and stretched them over a large surface, then maybe tried to fix it slightly by smoothing everything (see blurring), to the point that they look really stretched and blurry or something. Kinda like you might have seen on the N64 many years ago, but somehow it seems even worse here. It just looks wrong and fugly.

Graphics aren't important, it looks fine and you wont notice. It's how it plays which will make it awesome.

Yes, they are. I don't know who came up with this crap "graphics are not important" but they are wrong. Graphics have and always will be important. Not the tech behind them, sure, but certainly they have to actually be at least visually appealing and attractive to a minimum level, and this minimum level is higher as the underlying tech evolves and the art direction in games matures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APLGkcSN5xk

Right now this ^^^^ looks infinitely better imo.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Is this a PSone game for the 3DS...??lol AtariKidX

Still mad that Vita has turned out to be a disaster, eh?

awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 awakeningland
Sony wishes it was still ps1 era then it wouldn't be so far behind Nintendo! Stick to your grey shooters.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
It looks similar to all the other ones....
awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 awakeningland

[QUOTE="awakeningland"][QUOTE="amaneuvering"] It's not the size of the actual video I'm on about but the actual resolution of the textures as they appear on the geometry. It looks like they've taken really small texture maps/images, say 32x32 pixels, and stretched them over a large surface, then maybe tried to fix it slightly by smoothing everything (see blurring), to the point that they look really stretched and blurry or something. Kinda like you might have seen on the N64 many years ago, but somehow it seems even worse here. It just looks wrong and fugly.

amaneuvering

Yes, they are. I don't know who came up with this crap "graphics are not important" but they are wrong. Graphics have and always will be important. Not the tech behind them, sure, but certainly they have to actually be at least visually appealing and attractive to a minimum level, and this minimum level is higher as the underlying tech evolves and the art direction in games matures.

Graphics don't matter. Art style is important yes, but that's about style not pixel counting. People pay too much attention to them. They are obsessed. I'd rather play Super Mario 3 than any of the current FPSs. wait for the game in motion, it will look fine!
SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="awakeningland"] Graphics aren't important, it looks fine and you wont notice. It's how it plays which will make it awesome.awakeningland

Graphics don't matter. Art style is important yes, but that's about style not pixel counting. People pay too much attention to them. They are obsessed. I'd rather play Super Mario 3 than any of the current FPSs. wait for the game in motion, it will look fine!

For someone who is new here (Level 1), I like your ideas. Anyway, hope the game plays well (and comes over to the West).
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

I bet the view distance and 3D effect really hurts the frame rate.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="awakeningland"] Graphics aren't important, it looks fine and you wont notice. It's how it plays which will make it awesome.awakeningland

And the point is that I'm specifically on about it looking ugly visually, not technically. I'm not counting how many polygons it's throwing around or whether it's bump mapped or not etc. Right now it simply looks fugly. Very fugly. Personally I think that may be due to the very stretched, blurry and garish looking textures but regardless, it looks ugly.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

I see what he is saying, the enviroment textures are extreamly low res, like what you would find on the N64. Over all it still doesn't look horrible, but they could better the enviroment textures. The 3DS has more ram than the Wii or PS2, so I dunno why it's as low res as it is right now.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Epak_

amaneuvering

That's exactly what they are doing. The scale seems to be pretty massive and they just can't afford bigger textures because the hardware is limiting them. One of the limiting reasons being the amount of ram the 3DS has. For example they probably just repeat two or three small textures for a huge grass field and mix 'em up a bit so that the repetition wouldn't be so obvious.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

Epak_

That's exactly what they are doing. The scale seems to be pretty massive and they just can't afford bigger textures because the hardware is limiting them. One of the limiting reasons being the amount of ram the 3DS has. For example they probably just repeat two or three small textures for a huge grass field and mix 'em up a bit so that the repetition wouldn't be so obvious.

Well whatever the cause it looks bad. I mean the PSP games look much more attractive than this visually. I seriously could not play the game looking like this. I struggled to even get into the Wii game with it's blurry visuals and circle shadows. This however is just asking far too much of me. It was actually annoy me every single time I booted up the game, to the point it would ruin my enjoyment of it. Not good. I'd probably rather they just did non-textured plain polygons with some nice gouraud shading than this.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Epak_

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

amaneuvering

Well whatever the cause it looks bad. I mean the PSP games look much more attractive than this visually. I seriously could not play the game looking like this. I struggled to even get into the Wii game with it's blurry visuals and circle shadows. This however is just asking far too much of me. It was actually annoy me every single time I booted up the game, to the point it would ruin my enjoyment of it. Not good. I'd probably rather they just did non-textured plain polygons with some nice gouraud shading than this.

They could follow... the way of the Wind Waker!

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"][QUOTE="Epak_"]

Epak_

They could follow... the way of the Wind Waker!

Actually, I just looked up the 3DS Vs PSP ram and the 3DS has more so I don't understand how the textures actually look much worse on the 3DS version of the game. It's just strange.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

It looks great to me. Love the art and use of color :)

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 amaneuvering

It looks great to me. Love the art and use of color :)

Peredith

2ymatmu.jpg15oxy6x.jpgakj19f.jpg359y99d.jpg2v7t6av.jpg

No offense but you are either partially blind or have very very bad taste indeed.

t8ap0h.jpg

Also, this ^^^^ isn't great use of either art or colour. It's ugly and garish, and some parts actually look like they are cut out and pasted on top, like the really blocky mountains in the background for example.

It looks bad.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

It looks like an N64 or Playstation game in parts. There's just something so block, chuncky, low-res and garish looking about all the level graphics. It's like if this were a PC game it would be on the lowest settings, all the texture effects would be turned off and the lighting was completely flat or something. It just looks wrong. Seriously, ugly!

amaneuvering
Most of the Monster Hunter games don't look great. It's all about game play and linking up with your friends. Even the Wii version doesn't look spectacular.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 amaneuvering
[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

blackace
Most of the Monster Hunter games don't look great. It's all about game play and linking up with your friends. Even the Wii version doesn't look spectacular.

Yeah but right now this is the worst looking by far imo. See the screen grabs I've posted above.
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Looks worse than the psp version.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts
what is the structure of the game? if it the same as other MH games where battles take place over connected arenas or is it more just one big map with no loading screens now? the art direction reminds me of skyward sword for some reason :P. its not bad imho when looking at it from a distance. from a technical standpoint it looks like an upgrade from the wii version in some areas and a downgrade in others. upgrades: there are actual shadows for characters. water looks better. the lighting also looks better. downgrades: environment textures especiually but textures in general look like they have taken a hit.
awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 awakeningland
[QUOTE="awakeningland"][QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

SonicNextGen2

For someone who is new here (Level 1), I like your ideas. Anyway, hope the game plays well (and comes over to the West).

I'm not new here I've just had a change of heart so switched accounts. :D
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 amaneuvering

what is the structure of the game? if it the same as other MH games where battles take place over connected arenas or is it more just one big map with no loading screens now? the art direction reminds me of skyward sword for some reason :P. its not bad imho when looking at it from a distance. from a technical standpoint it looks like an upgrade from the wii version in some areas and a downgrade in others. upgrades: there are actual shadows for characters. water looks better. the lighting also looks better. downgrades: environment textures especiually but textures in general look like they have taken a hit.osan0

I'd say pretty much the character shadows are the only thing that looks better than in the previous versions but in every other area it looks probably the worst of any of the versions. I'm not quite sure how this happened considering the 3DS has more ram than the PSP for example and is roughly as powerful as a Wii I'd say.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Yeah. Blocky environment, muddy textures and jaggies to boot. I remember MH3G lookin better then this. Characters and monsters models look decent tho and we have yet to see them on the 3DS screen with the 3D.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

it looks like an N-Gage game :lol:

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#43 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

guess I should make my topics more about bashing a game than actual information for the Game.

(ie I made a MH4 thread before you. lol)

Anyway, you guys seriously going to go through with this?

Playstation and N64? come on man, you could only wish the N64 and Playstation can handle this crap.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 amaneuvering

it looks like an N-Gage game :lol:

LP4EVA2005
Yeah. It kinda really does. I mean it really does look terrible. It's got great animation on the characters and proper shadows but that's about all it's got going for it visually imo. The rest is actually vile to me.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 amaneuvering

guess I should make my topics more about bashing a game than actual information for the Game.

Playstation and N64? come on man, you could only wish the N64 and Playstation can handle this crap.

LegatoSkyheart

Other than the scale there are parts of this that seriously look like an N64 game imo.

2ymatmu.jpg

359y99d.jpg

I mean that could be on N64 right there.

t8ap0h.jpg

Even this too. I mean look how simple those mountains are in the background.

Here's some N64 graphics for comparison:

a251e464.jpg

6cd8d855.jpg

38b766c2.jpg

ConkersBadFurDayU.jpg

5-560x306.png

6-560x292.png

2-560x282.png

Linkawakensin3d.jpg

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

Characters and monsters models look nice but yeah, environments and especially textures aren't quite there yet. There's still 9 months of development left so that's a lot of time to work on this.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#47 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

amaneuvering

Other than the scale there are parts of this that seriously look like an N64 game imo.

2ymatmu.jpg

I want to say that this game has a lot more detail than anything the N64 could handle. Things on the N64 just looked a lot smoother and not as rough. The PS1 made things look a bit pixely at most, so what I say is it's close to PS2, but not quite.

In otherwords, PSP graphics. Just you know more colorful.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
yeah the textures are really muddy, even by PSP standards they'd still be a little too muddy
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

2ymatmu.jpg

I want to say that this game has a lot more detail than anything the N64 could handle. Things on the N64 just looked a lot smoother and not as rough. The PS1 made things look a bit pixely at most, so what I say is it's close to PS2, but not quite.

In otherwords, PSP graphics. Just you know more colorful.

ConkersBadFurDayU.jpg

N64

I want to say that I really think standards in Nintendo gamers have dropped since roughly the N64 and definately the GC era, once the Wii turned out to be so under-powered that every Nintendo fan started on this whole "graphics don't matter" thing.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
hey, weren't the PSP games ported to the PS3? what happened to them? were they launched in the west?