Modern Warfare 2 is the fastest selling COD ever!

• 82 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45581 Posts

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/modern-warfare-2-is-reportedly-the-fastest-selling-call-of-duty-game-ever/

According to a report from Barron’s, the shooter is the fastest-selling game in the history of the series.

The game’s opening weekend sales have reportedly crossed $600 million, according to Barron’s report.

If correct, this would spell something of a change in fortune for the series after the last main entry, 2021’s Call of Duty Vanguard disappointed both critically and commercially. VGC reported last year that Vanguard’s UK launch was the lowest of any series entry in the modern era.

While the sales of the main Call of Duty title are less relevant in the modern era of the franchise given the notable success of its Warzone battle royale spin-off and the impending launch of Warzone 2, these reported numbers suggest the mainline franchise isn’t necessarily on a downward trend.

This year’s entry, which returned to a modern-day military theme following Vanguard’s WW2 setting, could suggest that Call of Duty fans are more interested in games set in the modern era.

The success of the game was also likely a result of the name, as the 2009 release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) is widely regarded as one of the best in the series, and was released at the height of Call of Duty’s popularity around the end of the 2000s.

I don’t get it.. everyone in SW says COD is crap, but it somehow manages to sell so much. Does that mean SW is a fringe group of people in the gaming world?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Steam was a good indication that COD was hitting HUGE numbers. It broke the concurrent user record there during a preorder, campaign only period. Now that the MP is here, it’s a wrap

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

Xbox Studios has yet another hit on their hands. Well done, Xbox, Well done. ;o

:P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic

@SecretPolice said:

Yea, a much better hit than Halo Infinite, which Xbox gave for free (multiplayer) 🤣

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16050 Posts

Forgot CoD Vanguard even existed I thought they were advertising about CoD WWII. Idk the guys reporting it got to be joking why they reference 2009 MW when the 2019 MV remake is far more relevant in revitalising the sub series.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Congrats Microsoft. Another banger to help you compete against your competition.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice
@SolidGame_basic said:
@SecretPolice said:

Yea, a much better hit than Halo Infinite, which Xbox gave for free (multiplayer) 🤣

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts

With Warzone 2.0 coupled to MW2 and decoupled from Warzone 1.0 it makes sense that this is so big, doesn't necessarily mean people will play MW2 MP for a long time post WZ 2.0 release, a high number of those MW2 purchases are going to be motivated by MW2 being the quickest way to attain w/e the META is in WZ 2.0.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1410 Posts

Why are people saying well done to Microsoft when, to my knowledge, they haven't acquired Activision yet? Anyway, the sales numbers makes me imagine that Microsoft, should they succeed in their endeavor, would keep it multiplatform. That's a lot of money for a short amount of time.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mesome713

Im gonna buy a copy to show my support to Uncle Phil.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8512 Posts

How is that possible? Wasn't MW2 the biggest entertainment launch of all time with 1 billion?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice

@mesome713 said:

Im gonna buy a copy to show my support to Uncle Phil.

lol :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59424 Posts

I bet Kanye plays it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8480 Posts

Haven't cared for this series since the 360 days.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13126 Posts

My GOTY, and is graphics of the year!

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16617 Posts

People bash the series alot, and personally I'm not a fan of the multi-player stuff either. But there's no denying that the campaigns are always top notch.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic

@kvallyx said:

wowza, why is it your GOTY?

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6238 Posts

There is no doubt this forum has representatives of those people that don't actually play games and just look for their kicks in this forum.

Still too early in multiplayer for me to have a full opinion. I will say I was coming top when I first played but last night I couldn't get above half in the table, and it was a lot harder.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

People bash the series alot, and personally I'm not a fan of the multi-player stuff either. But there's no denying that the campaigns are always top notch.

Of all the things said on this board, that’s probably the most debatable. And that’s saying something.

I’vs got no issues with COD, but the campaigns are usually mind-numbing. BLOPS 2, AW and IW were the only ones to hold my attention the whole way through.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44679 Posts

But I heard that Call of Duty was “dead”, “dying”, and/or “irrelevant”. So much for all of that I guess. 🤣🤣🤣🤡

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34801 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

I don’t get it.. everyone in SW says COD is crap, but it somehow manages to sell so much. Does that mean SW is a fringe group of people in the gaming world?

Well, if you're browsing videogame forums, you probably care more about games than the average joe. People who care more about stuff tend to want the best of said stuff.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:
@kvallyx said:

wowza, why is it your GOTY?

I couldn't put it down. It was like playing a Hollywood movie without having to be a walking simulator. The gun play was great. I loved the story line and how it took place in multiple countries. I love how they incorporated more stealth. My only gripe was with the crafting, which felt forced as they implemented it in the end. It's the only game this year (that came out this year) that I could NOT put down.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16617 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Of all the things said on this board, that’s probably the most debatable. And that’s saying something.

I’vs got no issues with COD, but the campaigns are usually mind-numbing. BLOPS 2, AW and IW were the only ones to hold my attention the whole way through.

i've always found the campaigns in COD to have insane production values. The story line might be cliche or whatever, but its a fact that activision spends $$$ making the game.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mesome713

Ol Lyin Ryan is currently on a plane flying back to the UK. Last time Uncle Phil had him searched by security for teardrops alleging that he was faking, but no teardrops were found.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Hits $800 Million In Revenue In 3 Days, Sets New Call Of Duty Records

Modern Warfare 2 beat the record previously held by 2011's Modern Warfare 3.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-hits-800-million-in-revenue-in-3-days-sets-new-call-of-duty-records/1100-6508775/

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

But I heard that Call of Duty was “dead”, “dying”, and/or “irrelevant”. So much for all of that I guess. 🤣🤣🤣🤡

Juggernaut!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@SecretPolice said:

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Hits $800 Million In Revenue In 3 Days, Sets New Call Of Duty Records

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-hits-800-million-in-revenue-in-3-days-sets-new-call-of-duty-records/1100-6508775/

And Lems wanna put COD in Game Pass lol. Deal and contracts be damned, Phil isn't stupid. COD will never appear on a day and date subscription service. Ever...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39906 Posts

Its a first person shooter made for people that are garbage at shooters. Maximum retention rate for maximum monetization.

Visual recoil cranked to 10000% to give you an illusion of recoil. Attachements as dumb as adding 10 bullets to your clip, but you lose accuracy, mobility and ads speed (kindergarten design). Instant TTK so even the most garbo of players could kill things and completely removes the possibility of outplaying.

MW2(2) is created for shitters that are permanently bitchin' on twitter that they don't have more than a few hours per week to play video games. Laughable garbage video game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 25129 Posts

PC gamers become casual movie game loving gamers now.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8421 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@SecretPolice said:

And Lems wanna put COD in Game Pass lol. Deal and contracts be damned, Phil isn't stupid. COD will never appear on a day and date subscription service. Ever...

i don't think this is going to age well..

Xbox boss confirms Call of Duty will come to Game Pass

would be an interesting bet but... 🤷🏽‍♂️

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mesome713

wow, all them clowns hating on CoD and calling it dead, boy do they look stupid now.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SecretPolice
@goldenelementxl said:
@SecretPolice said:

Bite your togue!! ;o

Phil, that sounds like a challenge. Get CoD on GP ASAP if just for SW purposes, c'mon, you know we got an all out war brewing here and this is no time to be timid, look what happen to the other guy who didn't take the war serial...

lololol :P

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44679 Posts

Some mad cope going on in this thread. 😅🤡

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@SecretPolice: lol!

@Antwan3K And I took Phil’s quote from September at face value. But then his “we expect Game Pass to make up 10%-15% total Xbox revenue“ quote caught me off guard. I thought Game Pass was THE Xbox strategy. Now they’re out there basically saying it’s XBLG as far as financials are concerned… His quote completely downplayed the service and its place at Xbox… But that can’t be true, right? And them putting COD, a series that will hit a billion dollars by this weekend, on Game Pass doesn’t align with the 10%-15% expectation. Or make any financial sense. If Game Pass is small potatoes to Xbox, they wouldn’t put a franchise that makes a billion dollars in 10 days in a $10 a month subscription service… This $800 million headline for COD wouldn’t exist if that was the case…

Phil could be downplaying the performance. But many here claim Phil can’t “lie” to investors. That narrative is just a complete misinterpretation of law and business though…

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Antwan3K

@goldenelementxl: it's not that complicated..

Game Pass is a value proposition to get people interested/excited about the Xbox brand.. a brand that was a meme for the entirety of a generation.. Game Pass is THE Xbox strategy to grow the brand on console, PC, and cloud..

Call of Duty on Game Pass would be huge for service, giving tons of gamers (both casual and hardcore) a genuine reason to switch over to the Xbox ecosystem..

but the vast majority of people on Xbox still buy games at full retail price.. at face value, Xbox has over 100 million monthly active users and over 25 million Game Pass subs.. the vast majority of users don't subscribe to Game Pass.. so their expectation/goal of Game Pass hovering around 10~15% of total revenue is both plausible and apparently profitable..

again, when you're down 2:1 in the console market after a disastrous generation, you have to find ways to bring new people to your ecosystem.. half of Series S owners are new to Xbox and that's been attributed to Game Pass.. 159% increase in PC Game Pass subs.. Game Streaming has doubled in usage.. adding Call of Duty to that dynamic is an even bigger incentive to get people to switch over..

People are still going to buy Call of Duty in record numbers and Game Pass will increase in value.. it's a continued win/win..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@Antwan3K said:

@goldenelementxl: it's not that complicated..

Game Pass is a value proposition to get people interested/excited about the Xbox brand.. a brand that was a meme for the entirety of a generation.. Game Pass is THE Xbox strategy to grow the brand on console, PC, and cloud..

Phil told you they’ve reached the point of saturation on console. All the growth is in markets where the service is still fairly new. Phil wants the mobile market now. He’s basically done trying to figure out the console market. And PC and Mobile aren’t going to respond to a subscription service. A 159% increase on PC means what exactly? What competition is there? How many subs are there? 159% sounds good, but without context, what does it mean? And mobile? Phil isn’t getting on iPhone without legal intervention. We’re going from Xbox can’t succeed without acquiring studios, to Xbox can’t succeed without help from the federal court system. When you need fascism in order to compete, are there any winners?

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Antwan3K

@goldenelementxl: were you actually making a point or are you just compelled to try and disagree with everything i say?..

again, half of Xbox Series S owners are new to Xbox due to Game Pass.. that's Game Pass growing the brand on console..

again, 159% increase in PC Game Pass subs.. that's Game Pass growing the brand on PC..

again, people trying out Game Streaming doubled from 10 million to 20 million.. that's Game Pass growing the brand on cloud..

again, Game Pass is THE Xbox strategy to grow the brand on console, PC, and cloud.. there are no silver bullets.. there are no instantaneous ways to overcome a 2:1 beatdown in the console market.. Game Pass is simply a value proposition to get gamers (new, current, casual, hardcore, etc) interested/excited about the Xbox brand..

literally nothing you said disputes this simple ideal..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@Antwan3K said:

@goldenelementxl: were you actually making a point or are you just compelled to try and disagree with everything i say?..

again, half of Xbox Series S owners are new to Xbox due to Game Pass.. that's Game Pass growing the brand on console..

again, 159% increase in PC Game Pass subs.. that's Game Pass growing the brand on PC..

again, people trying out Game Streaming doubled from 10 million to 20 million.. that's Game Pass growing the brand on cloud..

again, Game Pass is THE Xbox strategy to grow the brand on console, PC, and cloud.. there are no silver bullets.. there are no instantaneous ways to overcome a 2:1 beatdown in the console market.. Game Pass is simply a value proposition to get gamers (new, current, casual, hardcore, etc) interested/excited about the Xbox brand..

No, your points are just fluffed and spun to fit your narrative.

Fortnite is the reason for the streaming bump. It’s well documented.

You got that Series S headline all mixed up. Half of Series S purchasers are new to Game Pass. That’s the console growing the service, not whatever you just said. The Series S comes with a Game Pass code, mind you. Whatever you said would require a survey, asking the consumer why they bought the console… How you can read a headline, create a fictional scenario in your head and then parade it around social media is wild

We need a starting number for PC Game Pass to know how impactful and significant that 159% number is. How many new subs is that? 1,000? 10,000? 159? Without numbers, that headline is just PR nonsense.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KvallyX
@SecretPolice said:

Great news! And it's gonna be REAL NICE when we get it day one on Game Pass baby! THANK YOU PHIL!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

At one time this would of bothered me I'm glad I've grown out of that stage as long as people are enjoying something who cares it doesn't effect me.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Antwan3K

@goldenelementxl said:
@Antwan3K said:

You got that Series S headline all mixed up. Half of Series S purchasers are new to Game Pass. That’s the console growing the service, not whatever you just said. The Series S comes with a Game Pass code, mind you. Whatever you said would require a survey, asking the consumer why they bought the console… How you can read a headline, create a fictional scenario in your head and then parade it around social media is wild

We need a starting number for PC Game Pass to know how impactful and significant that 159% number is. How many new subs is that? 1,000? 10,000? 159? Without numbers, that headline is just PR nonsense.

i'm not the one spinning and twisting narratives.. you claiming that "Half of Series S purchasers are new to Game Pass" is a clear example of that".. here's the exact quote:

Nadella says that "nearly half of the Xbox Series S buyers are new to our ecosystem". - link

this ideal was also mentioned by the verge:

and yes, Fortnite is a huge factor for growth in Xbox Game Streaming but so is Game Pass.. Game Pass is literally the only option for streaming games outside of remote play functionality so clearly, Game Pass is a factor in that growth..

and yes, a 159% increase in PC Game Pass subscriptions means GROWTH..

again, Game Pass is THE Xbox strategy to grow the brand on console, PC, and cloud.. none of your spinning changes any of that.. and honestly, i have no idea why this simple ideal bothers you so much but damn.. it's fairly out of control at this point..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@Antwan3K said:

and yes, Fortnite is a huge factor for growth in Xbox Game Streaming but so is Game Pass.. Game Pass is literally the only option for streaming games outside of remote play functionality so clearly, Game Pass is a factor in that growth..

again, Game Pass is THE Xbox strategy to grow the brand on console, PC, and cloud.. none of your spinning changes any of that.. and honestly, i have no idea why this simple ideal bothers you so much but damn.. it's fairly out of control at this point..

@Antwan3K said:

Yes, that's it. That's what I said. Half of the Series S owners are new to Game Pass. You said half of Series S owners are new to Xbox due to Game Pass. Xbox NEVER made that claim...

And how can the strategy of growth of the brand only be expected to make up 10%-15% of the companies total revenue? “I think [Game Pass] will stay in that 10 to 15 percent of our overall revenue You and Phil seem to have different aspirations for Game Pass...

And we saw no significant change in Game Pass subs in the window of the Xbox Cloud gaming jump. In fact, we've gotten no update. The only thing that happened in that period of time was Fortnite became playable there... And what monetary gain did Xbox see because of that? Millions of people used their servers to play a F2P game... Yay?

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

"If it's popular it must be good then!"

If that's the case then games like Madden and FIFA are top of the pack because they constantly sell gangbusters despite being objectively bad games that are bare bones updates (at best) to the prior release.

And considering what a shit show market competition has been with Battlefield being a broken mess and Halo Infinite more concerned about selling cat ears than offering a multi-player experience Halo fans actually want it should be no surprise that the genre go-to IP for multi-player shooters is seeing a huge year despite delivering a mediocre product.

It's almost like there's a hungry audience that companies like EA, Microsoft, and such keep failing to capitalize on because they put the cart before the horse and eat shit straight out the gate.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KvallyX

@Antwan3K said:
@goldenelementxl said:
@Antwan3K said:

i'm not the one spinning and twisting narratives.. you claiming that "Half of Series S purchasers are new to Game Pass" is a clear example of that".. here's the exact quote:

Nadella says that "nearly half of the Xbox Series S buyers are new to our ecosystem". - link

this ideal was also mentioned by the verge:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@kvallyx: Read 'Twans Series S / Game Pass claim a little more carefully...

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KvallyX

@goldenelementxl said:

Not only did I read it, I re-read it and even read it upside down hanging from the ceiling by my nuts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@kvallyx said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Not only did I read it, I re-read it and even read it upside down hanging from the ceiling by my nuts.

"half of Xbox Series S owners are new to Xbox due to Game Pass"

So you're cosigning that statement? You sacrificed your nuts for Xbox fan fiction?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KvallyX

@goldenelementxl said:
@kvallyx said:
@goldenelementxl said:

So you're cosigning that statement? You sacrificed your nuts for Xbox fan fiction?

I sacrifice my nuts for facts, sure. MS did indeed say that "nearly half of the Xbox Series S buyers are new to our ecosystem" - Microsoft

You said:

That's what I said. Half of the Series S owners are new to Game Pass.

Where did MS say this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@kvallyx said:
@goldenelementxl said:

I sacrifice my nuts for facts, sure. MS did indeed say that "nearly half of the Xbox Series S buyers are new to our ecosystem" - Microsoft

You said:

That's what I said. Half of the Series S owners are new to Game Pass.

Where did MS say this?

OK, so why aren't you asking 'Twan this? His claim is wild. "Half of Series S owners are new to Xbox due to Game Pass" Xbox didn't say that!

Mine claim, is factual. If you're new to the Xbox ecosystem, and there's a Game Pass trial in every box... The ONLY way Xbox tracks this is by folks needing to create an account. Twan's claim would require a worldwide survey...

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KvallyX

@goldenelementxl said:

Mine claim, is factual. If you're new to the Xbox ecosystem, and there's a Game Pass trial in every box... The ONLY way Xbox tracks this is by folks needing to create an account. Twan's claim would require a worldwide survey...

It's not factual. You said 50% of Series S owners are new to Game Pass. MS never said that, Xbox never said that. That isn't a fact. Maybe Peter Molyneux said it?