Modern Warfare 2 is garbage compared to the first game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 BobbyBobby85
Member since 2003 • 10336 Posts

I got Modern Warfare 2 about a month ago, and I gotta say it is one of the most overhyped, overrated and underwhelming games I've played all year. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the original, and I still play it to this day because it felt so fresh and innovative. I thought Modern Warfare 2 would be just as good, if not better, but boy am I disappointed! There are so many little flaws with the game that just add up to one big disaster and makes me dispise playing it. In case you people haven't been enlightened already, let me explain what makes this game such a stinker in my book:

For starters, the story and settings are ridiculous and unbelievable compared to the first game. They may as well have named this game Call of Duty: World Tour, since you're basically in every setting imaginable, from tropical regions to 3rd world slums to American suburbs to Office buildings to Blizzardy mountains to pretty much everywhere else. Now I'm all for variety, but James Bond this is not; I just cannot suspend my disbelief enough to buy into this global scheme that reeks of exaggeration in a game franchise normally known for its realism and authenticity in war. All these locations make the game seem extremely unrealistic when you consider you're doing all this through only a handful of characters. The first game was more methodical in its story and level design, and maintained a believable setting by not going overboard with the story. In this sequel however, realism is thrown out the window in favor of Hollywood style action and scenarios. In the end, I prefer Modern Warfare 1's low-key middle eastern / European setting over this super flashy globe-trotting mess.

Speaking of level design, what the hell happened in this game? Virtually all the levels I've encountered are more cluttered, difficult to memorize and harder to navigate compared to the first game. If that weren't enough, there are TONS of inside jokes from Infinity Ward strewn about the levels in the form of movie posters, magazine covers, Beverages and consumer goods to even automobiles. While this is somewhat amusing, It feels to me as if the developers spent more time photoshopping their faces and logo all over the in-game props instead of building decent levels. Seriously, every level seems to have some sort of goofy homages to real-life products and blatant game-designer mugshots all around you, but if you ask me that only takes me out of the realism one step more. I understand that the developers should have fun making their games, but not at the expense of the setting and level of seriousness of the subject matter. After All, this is a game about world-wide doomsday scenario. I don't need to have a case of the giggles from a random pamphlet on the ground when I should be be shooting militant terrorists.

As for the multiplayer, all I can say it that it's an absolute disaster. Along with the aforementioned poor level designs, you also have to evade countless aerial threats from every sort of airborne army vehicle and explosive weapon imaginable. Not only must you escape airstrikes from fighter jets and lingering gunfire from hovering choppers, NOW you have to worry about remote-guided missiles, secret weapons caches delivered to your enemies, annoying hovering jets and even tactical nukes. So basically the online multiplayer consists of everyone pulling helicopters and missles out of their backpack every 20 seconds. REAL FUN! How can I concentrate and enjoy shooting enemies like in a REAL shooter when I have to worry about neverending bombardments from every direction that goes completely contrary to what disciplined warfare is all about?

Lastly (and it's a big one) is the ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS blood spatter that splashes accross the screen every time you get shot! I can't even begin to explain how annoying this is, and yet is hands down, the straw that broke the camels back for me in enjoying this game. The first game did a great job with the natural looking bloodshot eye effect and increased heartrate indicator that not only felt realistic, but didn't distract from gameplay one bit. Now, in this new installment, expect to see this horrendous new attempt at damage indication EVERY TIME YOU GET SHOT! I suppose they want to make it look as if your TV screen has blood on it, but it comes off as an amatuerish overlooked game bug, esspecially since the blood spatter LOOKS THE SAME EVERY SINGLE TIME! Tell me you don't recognize the same blood pattern on the screen time after time, I DARE YOU! You can't miss the huge bubble in the upper left side of the screen every single time, and judging by how often you see it, it's guaranteed to be burned into your retinas after just a few short minutes of gameplay. Why substitute something that looks completely natural in the original game with a downright laughable blood spatter effect? Couldn't they have AT LEAST designed one or two more blood spatter designs so it didn't look as obvious? If this were any other game, people would be crabbing about it all day, but since it's Modern Warfare, everything is okay? Forget that!

Long story short, Modern Warfare 2 is a big cumbersome step backwards in the wrong direction. I can't believe so many people esteem it so highly, when it clearly succeeds only in scripted presentation and good-looking graphics. I would much rather dust off my N64 and play some Perfect Dark than play this farce of a modern day shooter. Better yet, maybe I'll just go back to Modern Warfare 1 and pretend this game never happened.

qbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 qbell
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts
well at least its better than mw1. no cheesy respawns
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

None of those criticisms add up to the game being a "mess".

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Well; I have always thought that Call of Duty are pretty overrated but from all of them, I say that MW2 is the worst of them all. Infinity Ward and Activision recycled the entire MW1 and just added the number 2 plus shortened the campaign plus didn't fix the glitches and sent it to retail. Of course, because it has the Call of Duty name plus Modern Warfare it was instant and easy money. Activision will continue do that forever unless people stop buying their games. Expect Modern Warfare 3 to have a 4 or 3 hour campaign and more glitchy multiplayer but it doesn't matter because people will buy it anyways.
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
you mean MW 1.5 :P
methinksyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 methinksyou
Member since 2010 • 393 Posts
you mean MW 1.5 :Pbadtaker
I think he means MW special edition without modding and dedicated servers.
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I thought MW1 was much worse. The multiplayer in particular felt stale after a few days and I was constantly getting killed by flying frags, spawn killed, or people using the dreadfully inbalanced weapons. MW2 is by no means perfectly balanced or free of issues, but it was entertaining at the very least, because the multiplayer felt a bit more balanced, there was more variety, and I like the maps better. Speaking of which, I don't find the level and map design "hard to memorize", TC. The maps especially are really easy to come to grips with, and the single player levels are just a lot more open then before.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
In some ways i agree, but MW2 is not garbage, just not as good as we all hoped.
WhyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WhyS
Member since 2003 • 156 Posts
It sounds to me that you suck at it. Since you're seeing the blood spatter over your screen constantly. And it's not too hard to evade the various aerial weapons from your enemies. Use Cold-Blooded and practice a little bit to prevent them from getting killstreaks.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
The first was better. MW2 is too noob friendly, they improved a lot but also added a lot of crap.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

you have 2 choices. you can

1. not play it

or

2. complain about it

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

lulz I agree with everyone pulling air support out of their backpockets every 20 seconds. Worse thing though is killstreaks now stack up. You can go cold blooded with a Stinger or jav to shoot them down, but even still it's quite annoying to just constantly but bombarded by airsupport.

LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
Valid arguments, but the game is still fun nonetheless.
lafiro93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lafiro93
Member since 2010 • 2076 Posts

Those my friend are WEAk argument's

World tour? really??? a game is better when it has different and crazy environments. I stopped reading after that.

It is one of the most hyped games ever BECAUSE Call of Duty 4 was one of the BEST games ever.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I agree with the blood spatter thing.... so what, any time someone gets shot, blood always manages to get in their eyes? like WTF? I really hated that bit too.... something else that bothered me was how during the briefing segments pre-mission, the guy's voice was really low, unclear and mumbly..... I could never hear wtf he was saying.... especially since the "background" music, wasn't... it was more foreground music because of how overpowering it was on the guy's voice.

So for this reason, I never had any idea why I was going where I was going or what I was supposed to do when I got there, and the objective popped up on screen.

HarryCrackage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HarryCrackage
Member since 2004 • 1426 Posts

Well, I thouroughly enjoyed it, although I will admit that the campaign is a bit short and extremely far fetched. That being said, I love the level design of multiplayer and the way it pretty much discourages camping. As for killstreak rewards, I love 'em and I love shootin' em down. Perhaps you should use cold blooded and a Stinger to open up those friendly skies. As for the blood on the screen, yeah, it looks more like jelly to me but it is hardly a deal breaker. Oh well, to each his own.

lafiro93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lafiro93
Member since 2010 • 2076 Posts

I agree with the blood spatter thing.... so what, any time someone gets shot, blood always manages to get in their eyes? like WTF? I really hated that bit too.... something else that bothered me was how during the briefing segments pre-mission, the guy's voice was really low, unclear and mumbly..... I could never hear wtf he was saying.... especially since the "background" music, wasn't... it was more foreground music because of how overpowering it was on the guy's voice.

So for this reason, I never had any idea why I was going where I was going or what I was supposed to do when I got there, and the objective popped up on screen.

moistsandwich

Just dont think of it as blood, when i get shot i dont look at the blood i look at the person who's shooting me and There ARE sub tittles.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#18 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

COD4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MW2

Anyways, how many of these threads do we need? Seriously? I think System Wars has already established the fact that the game is hated by a lot of people.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

moistsandwich
When you drop from a height, blood gets in your eyes. :lol:
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 moistsandwich

[QUOTE="moistsandwich"]

lafiro93

Just dont think of it as blood, when i get shot i dont look at the blood i look at the person who's shooting me and There ARE sub tittles.

what are sub-"tittles".... *giggles* tee hee....

I'm guessing the sub-titles aren't on by default, then? Cuz with the music from the game playing, and if anyone in the room is making a slight noise doing something.... pfff.... forget about trying to know whats going on.

Also... the blood in your eyes... makes it hard as hell to see where the shooter is.

Oh and don't forget how alot of the time, the enemies look almost exactly like your allies.... I forget how many times I got shot in the face, cuz I thought the guy was a friendly.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

CoD 4 was good and i agree some issues like the spawn system need fixed cause it really sometimes detracts from the gameplay especially when theres a chopper gunner out on the loose.:(

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 moistsandwich

[QUOTE="moistsandwich"]

SaltyMeatballs

When you drop from a height, blood gets in your eyes. :lol:

LOL thats hilarious.....

*falls off roof*

*lands*

"ARRRGGGHHHH!!! blood shot out of my knee caps and into my eyes...... BLURG"

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
The multiplayer sucks compared to the first one, yes.
mirriorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mirriorman
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

the respawning and the kill streaks are terriable but everything else is alright