modern military shooter campaigns - room for creativity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

This is a popular genre. However, I've never been drawn in to a campaign's story. The only time I felt any connection was to Captain Price at the end of CODMW1 (iirc).

But I foresee problems with getting creative when writing a plot for a modern military shooter grounded in reality. What story can you tell in modern days that involves military without making some kind of political statement? Should the games have a plot that grounds them in reality?

The other day I was trying to be really creative, thinking of the most creative lore possible for a modern military shooter, and the best idea I came up with, was fighting as a rebel from within an occupied country, I realised I was loosely describing the plot of Homefront. I'm not a writer though.

So yeah, a bit of a weird question. But when you're dealing with a genre which is grounded in reality and involves killing other humans who have national/ethnic identities, where troops need political / diplomatic reasons to kill other humans ... is there room for creativity in campaigns in this genre? And to follow up from this question, given the popularity of the genre, and the popularity of it's multiplayer - would unimaginative, 'ungripping' stories be a problem for fans of the genre?

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

Only CoD4 and Spec Ops: The Line are the good ones this generation. The rest are spunkgargleweewee garbage that makes you shoot the foreigners.