Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I noticed something this weekend.

I have been playing city builder games as of late as well as watching documentaries about Russia war history. as a result I started to think about back in the old days when Military Strategy games where common. So I started to look into what is going on in the genre today. I was surprised at what I discovered.

What I found was that basically city building/empire building games are far more rich in quality and quantity then military strategy games. In fact most of the military strategy games I found for this year where what looked like very low budget junk.

so...where are the high end military strategy games of this era

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

There are some coming that may be of interest to you

Iron Harvest not strictly real world more of an alternative take on the 1920's. I think it looks pretty cool

Steel Division II Very strictly a WWII RTS, this look awesome and Steel Division is a great game

Anyway loads of RTS's coming this year, some you may find interesting and other maybe not.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Don't know. I like the older MS-DOS ones such as the Steel Panthers series. It's modern day iteration is WinSPMBT (Windows Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank). It's free if you don't mind a res of 800x600 (windowed or fullscreen).

Obviously, this isn't the free version.

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TryIt

@GarGx1 said:

There are some coming that may be of interest to you

Iron Harvest not strictly real world more of an alternative take on the 1920's. I think it looks pretty cool

Steel Division II Very strictly a WWII RTS, this look awesome and Steel Division is a great game

Anyway loads of RTS's coming this year, some you may find interesting and other maybe not.

Steel Division II

that looks like exactly what I am talking about when I say 'high end' military stradegy games.

thanks...on wish list now

I just watched a tutorial of the first version and this is exactly what I am looking for. very detailed, different tanks have different levels of side armour vs front armour for example.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@GarGx1: I watched a this round up of upcoming strategy games and was interested by Fortification, Settlers 5 and a new Age of Empires game being handled by Relic.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TryIt

@jackamomo said:

@GarGx1: I watched a this round up of upcoming strategy games and was interested by Fortification, Settlers 5 and a new Age of Empires game being handled by Relic.

fair enough but to be fair not the kind of games I am referring to Steel Division II would be exactly what I am referring to in OP

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

I play a lot of Company of Heroes 2, but perhaps you mean something more on a grand scale and grand strategy?

In that case yeah Steel Division is your best bet.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TryIt

@R4gn4r0k said:

I play a lot of Company of Heroes 2, but perhaps you mean something more on a grand scale and grand strategy?

In that case yeah Steel Division is your best bet.

yeah Company of Heros would qualify for what I am getting at

I just saw a 'top 10' for 2018 and most of the game slooked like small indie projects. not that I have a problem with small indie projects, hell I am a small indie project fanboi but I was just surprised that it seems the genre has lost some footing from 20 years ago

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k

@tryit said:

I just saw a 'top 10' for 2018 and most of the game slooked like small indie projects. not that I have a problem with small indie projects, hell I am a small indie project fanboi but I was just surprised that it seems the genre has lost some footing from 20 years ago

It definitely has. AAA publishers aren't interested in RTS anymore.

But then again AAA publishers are only interested in whales/microtransactions/lootboxes/etc ...

There are still a ton of RTS I have enjoyed and am looking forward to, eventhough many would claim the genre to be dead:

• Company of Heroes 2
  • Ancestors: Legacy
  • Sudden Strike 4
  • Age of Empires: Definitive Edition

And I'm looking forward to:

• Age of Empires IV
  • Iron Harvest
  • Steel Division II
  • Gates of Hell
  • Soldiers: Arena
TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt

@R4gn4r0k said:
@tryit said:

But then again AAA publishers are only interested in whales/microtransactions/lootboxes/etc ...

There are still a ton of RTS I have enjoyed and am looking forward to, eventhough many would claim the genre to be dead:

• Company of Heroes 2
  • Sudden Strike 4

• Age of Empires IV
  • Iron Harvest
  • Steel Division II
  • Gates of Hell

I would suggest buying Steel Division 1 I just did.

its 66% off, it looks very deep, exactly what I want to balance out my collection with a few game types I dont play much

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@tryit: Well I would have said Company of Heroes but I've gone on about that game way too much recently so thought I'd let someone else point it out.

There is always the Blitzkrieg games. I've not played them but BK3 is 80% off at £3.38 for a game released last year! https://store.steampowered.com/app/235380/Blitzkrieg_3 It's got to be worth that!

At the end of the day. The next level of military combat is the third dimension and as far as I know only Homeworld and Sins of a Solar Empire offer that feature. It was just really f-ing confusing when I last tried... :/

I'm going to write my top 10 fps games blog post now and just post it in games discussion because it will suck if only 2 people read it as a stupid blog post.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts

Alot of strategy games have a low budget rep specifically because of Paradox, who absolutely love to bang shit out the door of low budget and generally, unfinished states, usually with launch dlc, and day-1 dlc, for dlc.

PC Gamers seem to praise them, for some reason.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TryIt

@uninspiredcup said:

Alot of strategy games have a low budget rep specifically because of Paradox, who absolutely love to bang shit out the door of low budget and generally, unfinished states, usually with launch dlc, and day-1 dlc, for dlc.

PC Gamers seem to praise them, for some reason.

ironically because the high end military strategy game that is exactly what I am looking for is published by Paradox. I just bought Steel Division

me thinks you havent a clue

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts

@tryit said:

Coming from you that is actually an insult haha

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TryIt

@uninspiredcup said:
@tryit said:

Coming from you that is actually an insult haha

oh and Hearts of Iron.

from what I can tell when it comes to historical strategy war games Paradox is the AAA version for that genre. feel free to give examples otherwise

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GarGx1
@tryit said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@tryit said:

• Company of Heroes 2
  • Sudden Strike 4

• Age of Empires IV
  • Iron Harvest
  • Steel Division II
  • Gates of Hell

its 66% off, it looks very deep, exactly what I want to balance out my collection with a few game types I dont play much

That's a good buy, enjoy

mumunaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mumunaro
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

Theres Blitzkrieg 3 which is pretty good.

Sudden Strike 4 is also very good.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@GarGx1 said:
@tryit said:

That's a good buy, enjoy

Yeah I still need to buy it myself :)

Normandy is interesting for sure, but Steel Division 2 has the better setting imho :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: yeah the setting of 2 is way more interesting to me

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

I wish Massive Entertainment breaks away from Ubisoft and create World in Conflict 2. Too bad they are stuck making Division.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TryIt

@R4gn4r0k said:
@GarGx1 said:
@tryit said:

That's a good buy, enjoy

Yeah I still need to buy it myself :)

Normandy is interesting for sure, but Steel Division 2 has the better setting imho :P

waiting for the game that is not released yet = many gamers Achilles heel.

just sayin

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GarGx1
@jackamomo said:

Sorry, missed your reply :) I was always a fan of the Settlers so a new one could be good. Age of Empires IV I refuse to get hyped about, I'm just feeling sceptical that it's going to be console focused RTS rather than the real thing.

@pc_rocks I wouldn't right off Massive being allowed to do a World in Conflict game, Ubisoft have always had a finger in the RTS genre (Anno, Settlers, Ruse) but it's possibly down to who owns the I.P.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TryIt

@GarGx1 said:
@jackamomo said:

Sorry, missed your reply :) I was always a fan of the Settlers so a new one could be good. Age of Empires IV I refuse to get hyped about, I'm just feeling sceptical that it's going to be console focused RTS rather than the real thing.

@pc_rocks I wouldn't right off Massive being allowed to do a World in Conflict game, Ubisoft have always had a finger in the RTS genre (Anno, Settlers, Ruse) but it's possibly down to who owns the I.P.

I am also thinking of buying Hearts of Iron 4 but it scares me a bit, it sounds like the deepest game ever made

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k

@tryit said:

just sayin

I dunno, I'm excited about a fair deal of games but I'm not buying most immediately, just something to buy later down the line.

There are actually a ton of RTS in development, great times.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TryIt

@R4gn4r0k said:
@tryit said:

just sayin

I dunno, I'm excited about a fair deal of games but I'm not buying most immediately, just something to buy later down the line.

There are actually a ton of RTS in development, great times.

I am just making a casual observation about how common gamers get caught up in the 'its gonna be greener later on' then they buy, get ticked off, and then get excited about the next future release, repeat repeat repeat.

I am not saying you are one of those types I am just making a causual observation that those types are out there for sure

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GarGx1
@tryit said:
@GarGx1 said:
@jackamomo said:

I am also thinking of buying Hearts of Iron 4 but it scares me a bit, it sounds like the deepest game ever made

That's a deep and very complex game. I've never really got into Hearts of Iron mostly due to the time and attention to detail needed.

The most complex game I play these days is Stellaris. On that note if you haven't played it and enjoy Space 4X games then it's definitely one of the best but nowhere near as complex as the likes of Aurora or Distant Worlds.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k

@tryit said:

I am just making a casual observation about how common gamers get caught up in the 'its gonna be greener later on' then they buy, get ticked off, and then get excited about the next future release, repeat repeat repeat.

I am not saying you are one of those types I am just making a causual observation that those types are out there for sure

Yeah, no offense taken. In fact I think the same way a lot of the time: we get caught up in hype for upcoming games, yet there are a ton of games that have already been released that barely anyone played.

More attention should be put onto released games, but it's the upcoming games that get all the trailers and hype.