Microsoft's own Fallout 76 topped 72k players today... A huge increase... Again!

• 111 results
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22689 Posts

https://www.gamesandwich.com/news/fallout-76-steam-player-count-hits-all-time-high/

Greetings Vault Dwellers.... At the time of writing this Fallout 76 has more player interaction than Spider man, Miles Morales, God of War, returnal, days gone and horizon zero dawn combined on steam... Just yesterday it hit almost 40k... An all-time high.

Are we so excited for the TV show that we dare jump into fallout 76? I have to admit I'm intrigued. Probably plays awesome on my steam deck and I never touched the game.

Do you think people will keep playing it?

Should microsoft's own Bethesda studios revisit it and build for a new player base that forgives it's shortcomings?

Have you healed?

Update....! We've watched numbers climb daily from 30k to 40.... Then 45....50 and now today it hits almost 73k! Wow! Is the show driving this new discovery for people? Has Bethesda successfully hooked players in to a game we all wrote off?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17427 Posts

I started playing it a week ago and it was pretty good, with the caveat being that I turned it into a single player game with Fallout 1st and a private server.

It's actually more of an RPG than Fallout 4, with a lot more choices. I actually like the card based perk system.

Shame you can't have private servers without paying for a subscription, as the main game is still glitchy due to trying to support and sync other players.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1255 Posts

I'm a Huge fallout fan,and i only managed a dabble here and there in 76.

Maybe good co op though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58328 Posts

I'm a little pissed that it took a god damned TV show to get Bethesda to update Fallout 4 after all these years, so I'm not jumping on that bandwagon any time soon lol.

Glad the show is good, though, looking forward to watching it soon.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

Really enjoyed the series played new Vegas and fallout 4 but downloaded fallout 3 as it's the only one I've never played. The series surprised me thought it would be just another videogame to TV series adaption.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

No interest at all in 76. I did pick up fallout 4 and its expansions for 10 bucks in the sale though. The Fallout series is one i kinda bounced off but i have 3, new vegas and 4 now. Also the original. Played it way back when but i generally dont like games with time limits.I don't have 2. I did have a physical copy but lost it many moons ago.

TV series was enjoyable in fairness. I didn't get much of the fan service as I only played 3 and got as far as the aircraft carrier.....back when the game released. The ol' memory ain't rockin' as much these days. But it was a good larf.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38869 Posts

Ah so MS has discovered boosting their game numbers with show released side by side. Wonder why nobody gave a shit about Halo Infinite when the first and second season of the Halo show came out😆

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44209 Posts

Keep meaning to check this game out. I am looking forward to jumping back into Fallout 4 when the big update hits soon.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56128 Posts

I don't know jacked shit on Fallout 76 as I never took interest when it launch as I kinda bailed out of the series after Fallout 4. That being said, Fallout games are on sale on Steam & GoG. I'm thinking about reinstalling Fallout Vegas as its still one of the best Fallout games around IMO.

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm a little pissed that it took a god damned TV show to get Bethesda to update Fallout 4 after all these years, so I'm not jumping on that bandwagon any time soon lol.

Glad the show is good, though, looking forward to watching it soon.

Fallout 4 update will be free for PC gamers. But even so, I don't plan to revisit Fallout 4 anytime soon. Haven't watch the TV series yet though. Honestly, I'm surprised they aren't packaging all the CC content like Skyrim. Still, I'll take the excuse to start a new game down the road and Fallout 4 is really a legacy title for PC.

Fallout London mod is delayed due to the next-gen update is kinda silly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58992 Posts

This just proves gamers will consume any shit if it's normalized.

FPSGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FPSGOD
Member since 2015 • 200 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

Ah so MS has discovered boosting their game numbers with show released side by side. Wonder why nobody gave a shit about Halo Infinite when the first and second season of the Halo show came out😆

Come on, bruh! Was a cheap shot necessary?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12982 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I think more people are concerned with the plummeting player count in Helldivers 2.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

This just proves gamers will consume any shit if it's normalized.

Ya know... The taste of this poo isn't so bad after all...

Mange mange mange....

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5169 Posts

@kvallyx: You need a better argument, last week with the new automaton invasion there were over 300,000 divers on a single planet, setting a record for the game on people playing on one planet.

300,000 > 40,000

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

I think more people are concerned with the plummeting player count in Helldivers 2.

Where?

Not a single MS title will approach these numbers throughout this whole generation. Live service done right, something MS is incapable of achieving.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KvallyX

@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

Where?

Steam!!!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen  Online

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

Where?

Steam!!!

250k peak during a work day is such a bad number.🤡Now lets look at real failures, the live services that lose money on daily basis. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣FLAGSHIP🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KvallyX

@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

Where?

Steam!!!

250k peak during a work day is such a bad number.🤡Now lets look at real failures, the live services that lose money on daily basis. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣FLAGSHIP🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Work day for who? LOL. So you are concerned that Helldivers 2 player count is plummeting as well! I mean, that has to be why you deflected to Halo Infinite.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen  Online

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:

Where?

Steam!!!

Work day for who? LOL. So you are concerned that Helldivers 2 player count is plummeting as well! I mean, that has to be why you deflected to Halo Infinite.

Did you see those numbers? Beyond pathetic compared to an indie game like Helldivers 2. If you missed it, here, just for you.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KvallyX

@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:

Did you see those numbers? Beyond pathetic compared to an indie game like Helldivers 2. If you missed it, here, just for you.

More importantly, how do we bring back players to a 2 month old game? :(

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen  Online

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:

More importantly? Interesting. An Indie game is now more important than multi trillion dollar's company flagship title.😊

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KvallyX

@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:

More importantly? Interesting. An Indie game is now more important than multi trillion dollar's company flagship title.😊

As a cow, Halo Infinite is the least of my concerns.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen  Online

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:

As a cow, Halo Infinite is the least of my concerns.

The game is in such a miserable state, you lems are abandoning it. Don't tell me i didn't warn you.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@hardwenzen: Sorry Wenzen, Xbox just has way too many titles vying for “flagship” status. That’s the difference. Sony’s creativity has dried up as much as their output - Xbox doesn’t need Halo as THE flagship. Fallout, Elder scrolls, FH, CoD, Gears all competing with Halo.

Meanwhile you’re deflecting Sonys flops on steam with a third party studio’s offering.

Sad.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KvallyX

@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: Sorry Wenzen, Xbox just has way too many titles vying for “flagship” status. That’s the difference. Sony’s creativity has dried up as much as their output - Xbox doesn’t need Halo as THE flagship. Fallout, Elder scrolls, FH, CoD, Gears all competing with Halo.

Meanwhile you’re deflecting Sonys flops on steam with a third party studio’s offering.

Sad.

Sony will have a game in 2026 though.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11100 Posts

I heard so much bad shit about 76 when it launched, I never even bothered. The show was pretty good, but I don't know if I'm sold on jumping into 76 based on that alone. I guess at the very least it's free if you have Prime

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@kvallyx: Lemme guess….an open world Superhero 3rd person action adventure?

Upd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Upd0g
Member since 2024 • 17 Posts

Hiya, new guy here.

Can't post images until I have 5 posts but turns out you can compare activity in SteamDB, including aligning by launch dates

https://steamdb.info/charts/?compare=553850,1938090&release

Against even Call of duty (which counts MW2,3 and WZ), Helldivers is doing very well, missing the 500k peak but holding over 400k for a longer period.

As long as HD plateaus around the 100/200k mark I think it will be fine, it is trending slightly above COD in activity from peak onwards.

On topic, something that has not been included in this discussion, Fallout 76 is not only on sale for 80% off, as Davillain indicated, but also currently free, ending in a few days time.

In light of this, not sure how much this increase in activity will actually benefit Bethesda and Microsoft, depend on who sticks around after the promotion.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Downloaded F76 on GamePass and my god this has to be one of the worst games I have ever played.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34617 Posts

There's a new show, it's on sale, and it's free to play for a while. Even if the game is crap (which it is), a boost in players is not surprising. Hopefully they don't spend money.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheEroica  Moderator

I downloaded it and played for a little while this morning. Maybe an hour and a half.... I love the character creator. My character is Henry David Thoreau and so I was able to make him look pretty close to the real thing.

I so far don't find this game offensive. Granted I've not yet had the full scope of the game unrolled. I don't know how lifeless and pointless activities are and I don't yet know how systems augment or diminish the game.... Right now it feels like a Fallout game.

I opted to start at level 20 as well... Figured I'd jump in and try it without the early game struggles. Color me intrigued for now...

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KvallyX

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I heard so much bad shit about 76 when it launched, I never even bothered. The show was pretty good, but I don't know if I'm sold on jumping into 76 based on that alone. I guess at the very least it's free if you have Prime

And graphically the game looks like complete ass.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44569 Posts

I felt more urge to replay either Fallout 3 or New Vegas myself.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2480 Posts

Reading the thread title I 100% expected this to be a @kvallyx thread. When did @TheEroica make the Lem heel turn?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KvallyX

@ghostofgolden said:

Reading the thread title I 100% expected this to be a @kvallyx thread. When did @TheEroica make the Lem heel turn?

As a cow, I am totally against any threads that put Xbox into a positive light.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator

@ghostofgolden said:

It's not fun unless there's a system wars twist to it! I still have not owned an Xbox since the 360.... The title was my worm on the hook. Lol

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheEroica  Moderator

It broke its all time high from last night again tonight. 41k. Is it picking up steam?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

The show made me wanna play New Vegas again. 76 really didn't float my boat.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69524 Posts

Closet Sony fannies are getting triggered by OP.😂

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26102 Posts

I tried it for a few days last year, it was ok for the type of game it wanted to be.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 robert_sparkes

Never been interested in fallout 76 can you play single player or is it online only.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheEroica  Moderator

@robert_sparkes said:

Never been interested in fallout 76 can you play single player or is it online only.

So far I've been playing my own missions with other people just being in my world. Lots of options to link uo with Randoms and friends though.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 robert_sparkes

@TheEroica: Thanks good to know currently playing fallout 3 on my series s looking to check out 76 soon.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheEroica  Moderator

@robert_sparkes said:

@TheEroica: Thanks good to know currently playing fallout 3 on my series s looking to check out 76 soon.

I don't think you'll be offended by 76. It may not be something you dump a hundred hours into either... Plays like fallout though and I think after 18 patches it's not an offensive game by any stretch.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Fallout 76 is better than Fallout 4... but people aren't ready to have this conversation yet.

When the FO4 update comes next week its going to be a VERY rough transition for 76 players. Mobility and combat downgrades, and all the convenient inventory management options being gone will be tough to overcome.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheEroica  Moderator

@enzyme36 said:

Fallout 76 is better than Fallout 4... but people aren't ready to have this conversation yet.

When the FO4 update comes next week its going to be a VERY rough transition for 76 players. Mobility and combat downgrades, and all the convenient inventory management options being gone will be tough to overcome.

So it's better from a quality of life management perspective?

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 enzyme36

@TheEroica said:
@enzyme36 said:

So it's better from a quality of life management perspective?

1000% better in 76

You can sort by stacked weight which is a lifesaver, you have more tabs that sort items, you can scrap and store all your junk and unused ammo at the push of a button. You do not need to set up a network of couriers for a shared stash space across the wasteland (although this can be fun to setup for some players in 4). You get a NEW tab that shows you what you picked up recently. You can pull up your menu without blocking your screen with the pipboy. There are just more options for backpacks and weight reduction perks in 76.

Also just want to add that building in 76 in night and day compared to what FO4 is today.

That being said, we have not seen what updates are coming next week... and I am hoping that some of the QoL features in 76 make their way to 4.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 enzyme36

Also the marsupial mutation... please ohhh please Bethesda bring this to Fallout 4. I cant go back to normal jump height.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica  Moderator

Anyone else playing 76 currently? I'd link up if so. So far it's been a sp game for me and I haven't chosen to interact... It just hit another day of all time high player stats. Would be a nice surprise to ignore a game for like 5 years only to discover it's not half bad anymore.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 enzyme36

enzymez on PC

Anyone can feel free to add me regardless of what level you are on. Play mainly PM east coast, and I usually hop onto anyone's server that I see active on my friend list.

FO76 has the nicest online community in gaming and its not even close.