Microsoft : SONY relied too much on Blu-Ray

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg has attempted to give a reason as to why the PS3 isn't performing as well as expected for Sony.

He notes that perhaps they expected the PS2 DVD player phenomenon to repeat itself with the PS3 and Blu-ray. However, Greenberg believes that Sony is now heading in the right direction.

But capturing the early adopters in the core market first, and then expanding outward to ever more mainstream audiences has always been part of the company's strategy, says Greenberg.

"We started in the inner circle, and we'll continue to deliver those core experiences... going after them first was important," he explains.

"I think for Sony, what in many ways kind of threw them off that strategy was what happened with the PS2 and the DVD player phenomenon. They kind of expected that to happen with the PS3 and the Blu-ray."

Sony's current trend toward focusing somewhat more on the AAA gaming experience is "probably the right thing for them to do," says Greenberg. "For us, we're demonstrating there's an entirely new way to think about Xbox 360."

maxconsole.net

maxconsole

P.S. as usual, apologies if old.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
While it's a nice explanation, I'd be very surprised and dissapointed if Sony actually expected Blu-ray to be as easy to adopt as DVD was.
Avatar image for zyrumtumtuggerm
zyrumtumtuggerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 zyrumtumtuggerm
Member since 2009 • 185 Posts
While it's a nice explanation, I'd be very surprised and dissapointed if Sony actually expected Blu-ray to be as easy to adopt as DVD was.Danm_999
Really? Don't forget "$599".
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]While it's a nice explanation, I'd be very surprised and dissapointed if Sony actually expected Blu-ray to be as easy to adopt as DVD was.zyrumtumtuggerm

The root problem was making a system with (so far) unnecessarily expensive components. I can see it making sense to charge that much once they'd decided on the PS3's hardware. But as for Blu-ray, I just have difficulty believing Sony, a company who should know the ins and outs of the home entertainment market, seriously believed people were going to jump on the Blu-ray wagon as quickly as they did DVDs. Of course, Sony has a history of ill advised formats, so it might not all be that far fetched.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

It's true, they did

The one good thing that came of it was the PS3 single handily saved blu-ray though

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

Wow, I expected him to be fanboyish, but he was very mature.. Props. (I wasn't expecting it because it was Microsoft, I just expected that someone who works in a company would be biased against their competitors.)

hawksie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hawksie
Member since 2008 • 188 Posts

Yes, the blu-ray player was a mistake on their part. If they didn't go down that path their console wouldn't have been so pricey and would have done better against the 360.

Avatar image for zyrumtumtuggerm
zyrumtumtuggerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zyrumtumtuggerm
Member since 2009 • 185 Posts
Sony has a history of being ridiculous. For instance, Sony Vaio P (and TT, BTW). People cut them slack because their products are great. When a competitor starts beating them at their own game, well, that's what's happening now.
aero250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 aero250
Member since 2009 • 3613 Posts
I agree with Aeron.
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts

is was a gameble that still might pay for for sony as a company buy including blu ray they introduced a lot of people the blu ray. now i'm not sure how much at stake sony has in blu ray but sony could easily make up for their losses at blu ray becomes more standar

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts

the was probably one of the nicest things any of the big3 has said about each other.

Bear_in_Action

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bear_in_Action
Member since 2009 • 1937 Posts

the was probably one of the nicest things any of the big3 has said about each other.

Rza_rectah

I agree. While I am a Xbox360 fan, I'm not particularly fond of Microsoft. This guy has my respect.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

It seems 100% logical. Just the only thing different this gen than last is that DVD works with all TV's it can hook up to, blu-ray only means something for HDTV owners.

Not to mention VHS - DVD was a humungous jump. DVD (Especially upscaled DVD) to Blu-ray is tiny.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

Omg, did he say that Sony's trend at having AAA experience in games is the right thing for them to do? Does that mean MS's not looking at doing that?

Wow, that little statement says alot more than anything he said about Sony and bluray.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts
Sony has a history of being ridiculous. For instance, Sony Vaio P (and TT, BTW). People cut them slack because their products are great. When a competitor starts beating them at their own game, well, that's what's happening now.zyrumtumtuggerm
Nope, no body is beating Sony at their own game by any stretch of the imagination. MS still hasn't put out a reliable system, so it sure isn't them that is playing the same game as Sony.
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Yeah I think Sony did rely heavily on Blu Ray and it worked out for them just like DVD with the PS2. The technology within the PS3 will ensure it has a long life.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

It's true, they did

The one good thing that came of it was the PS3 single handily saved blu-ray though

thelastguy

HD DVD was always behind, the PS3 just helped it get killed quicker.

_SniperFox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _SniperFox_
Member since 2009 • 89 Posts

I think Blu-ray is great, I think PS3 is the best console this generation in terms of hardware, and I think Sony make the best exclusives this gen too. I think MS rely to much on Halo and pipe dreams such as Natal.

MegajerkNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MegajerkNYC
Member since 2009 • 505 Posts

*looks at Forza 3 shipping on 2 disks"

Actually I'm pretty happy they included a Bluray player.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

True

Blu ray wont be as easyly to adopt as DVD. But the ps3 has still helped it along. Its just going to take much much longer.

Give it a while and they will have a great games library, and the blu ray for when it becoems the main format.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

MegajerkNYC
*looks at the many ps3 games that require installs* nope i think dvd was the better choice. if you use bluray for movies then that's cool but for me it was just a waste, the rest of the console is awesome though.
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Asim90

[QUOTE="MegajerkNYC"]

Mckenna1845

*looks at the many ps3 games that require installs* nope i think dvd was the better choice. if you use bluray for movies then that's cool but for me it was just a waste, the rest of the console is awesome though.

To be fair, installs are the choice of the developer since not all games have them, they are not a limitation of the console. Having multiple disks however does indicate that there are limitations.

Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"][QUOTE="MegajerkNYC"]

Asim90

To be fair, installs are the choice of the developer since not all games have them, they are not a limitation of the console. Having multiple disks however does indicate that there are limitations.

You do realize that the installs indicate that there is a serious limitation to BR's use in gaming, right?
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts
[QUOTE="Asim90"]

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"][QUOTE="MegajerkNYC"]

Heres the difference ven if both were NEEDED. Blu ray: One disk but you may need to upgrade your hard drive DVD: Multiple disks, may need to upgrade hard drive as you must install the other disks, have to buy MS ones which are over priced.
MegajerkNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MegajerkNYC
Member since 2009 • 505 Posts

[QUOTE="MegajerkNYC"]

Mckenna1845

*Looks at 360's DvD drive failure rate and loud jet engine noise* Actually if the propritary HDD wasn't pure consumer rape I wouldn't mind installing a few 360 games.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Asim90

[QUOTE="Asim90"]

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"] *looks at the many ps3 games that require installs* nope i think dvd was the better choice. if you use bluray for movies then that's cool but for me it was just a waste, the rest of the console is awesome though.Nedemis

You do realize that the installs indicate that there is a serious limitation to BR's use in gaming, right?

Why do some games use Blu Ray, have no installs and have literally no loading then? As I said, installs are down to the developer. The limitation with Blu Ray in the PS3 is that is it slower then DVD. This however can be dealt with in different forms.

Developers can reduce loading by introducing installs OR stream data from the hard drive, this removes the need for installs and greatly reduces load times. Claiming that installs indicate a limitation is nonsensical since they can be replaced, there is however no way to overcome lack of storage that results in multiple disks.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

I think Blu-ray is great, I think PS3 is the best console this generation in terms of hardware, and I think Sony make the best exclusives this gen too. I think MS rely to much on Halo and pipe dreams such as Natal.

_SniperFox_

win

keabrown79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 keabrown79
Member since 2008 • 626 Posts

It seems 100% logical. Just the only thing different this gen than last is that DVD works with all TV's it can hook up to, blu-ray only means something for HDTV owners.

Not to mention VHS - DVD was a humungous jump. DVD (Especially upscaled DVD) to Blu-ray is tiny.

treedoor
i can't quite agree with that.. it's only tiny if you don't already have the tools to use i properly... i have a pretty nice sound system and an 1080p tv and i fell the jump from VHS to DVD is about the same jump from DVD to Blu-Ray
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
MS still hasn't put out a reliable system, GreyFoXX4
that's just plain BS, the original xbox was very, very reliable, i still have 2 that still run perfectly, one of them i gave to the kids and it still runs perfect despite being kicked and dropped and having discs jammed in it, the xbox last gen was the same as the ps3 this gen, it was a very solid console, they had a problem the first year with DRE, but nothing on the scale of the PS"'s dre, please stop posting rubbish without doing your research first
Jesus_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jesus_on_fire
Member since 2008 • 2022 Posts

Wow, I expected him to be fanboyish, but he was very mature.. Props. (I wasn't expecting it because it was Microsoft, I just expected that someone who works in a company would be biased against their competitors.)

Yandere

Yeah im quite surprised by that too

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Omg, did he say that Sony's trend at having AAA experience in games is the right thing for them to do? Does that mean MS's not looking at doing that?

Wow, that little statement says alot more than anything he said about Sony and bluray.

GreyFoXX4

yeah I was a little surprised by that comment too. They have great games coming out, but it seems there putting all there marbles in this Natal project.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
And I am glad they did. Blu-ray is miles ahead of DVD. It might have hurt Sony, but it benefited me.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SpruceCaboose

GreyFoXX4
Thats not what he said though...
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
[QUOTE="zyrumtumtuggerm"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]While it's a nice explanation, I'd be very surprised and dissapointed if Sony actually expected Blu-ray to be as easy to adopt as DVD was.Danm_999

The root problem was making a system with (so far) unnecessarily expensive components. I can see it making sense to charge that much once they'd decided on the PS3's hardware. But as for Blu-ray, I just have difficulty believing Sony, a company who should know the ins and outs of the home entertainment market, seriously believed people were going to jump on the Blu-ray wagon as quickly as they did DVDs. Of course, Sony has a history of ill advised formats, so it might not all be that far fetched.

The issue was, Sony is first and foremost a high end electronics company. That's what they do. While I didn't believe Sony WOULD have done what they did with $599, in retrospect it makes sense that they would try something like this because their first two consoles were so popular. It goes even further back than the PS2. The PSone was a shift into the cd format for game consoles. Maybe Sony just felt like they're the official new disc media format pusher. My biggest issue with the PS3 isn't Blu-Ray. While I didn't like Sony decision, it's not because of the disc media itself, but rather that they included only a 2x drive speed. the biggest problem is the cell processor. THAT's what's keeping the price so high on the PS3 because no other company is using the cell, causing the demand for it to be lower than regular chips. Which has kept the processor still expensive. I really wish Sony had went the way of Microsoft and put a higher in GPU and CPU that were basically (off the shelf). It would have went a long way in making the PS3 more affordable right now.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#35 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

While it's a nice explanation, I'd be very surprised and dissapointed if Sony actually expected Blu-ray to be as easy to adopt as DVD was.Danm_999
I think to a degree, they did.

At the start of the generation, they seemed to think they were invincible. They thought they could release a very expensive console without many games to justify the price tag, and expect it to sell based on hardware and brand name alone

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="mythrol"] My biggest issue with the PS3 isn't Blu-Ray. While I didn't like Sony decision, it's not because of the disc media itself, but rather that they included only a 2x drive speed. the biggest problem is the cell processor. THAT's what's keeping the price so high on the PS3 because no other company is using the cell, causing the demand for it to be lower than regular chips. Which has kept the processor still expensive.

That is not true at all...
skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

treedoor

No. DVD players required at least a composite connection at a t ime when many (if not most) TVs only had coaxial connections. Back in '96 or '97, when I purchased my first DVD player, I had to connect it through my VCR (ironically).

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mythrol
[QUOTE="treedoor"]

keabrown79
i can't quite agree with that.. it's only tiny if you don't already have the tools to use i properly... i have a pretty nice sound system and an 1080p tv and i fell the jump from VHS to DVD is about the same jump from DVD to Blu-Ray

But the difference was, HDTV's are just now starting to become common place. That's why Blu-Ray has taken so long to catch on. Yes the quality is nice, but to many people the price to pay was / is too high to play. I personally, and this has nothing to do with being a lemming, I like the digital distribution method. I know it's not the same quality as disc media yet (not too far off) but for me it's about the ease of it. I have a Home Theater PC hooked up to my main living room TV. I have all my media (movies, music, pictures) loaded on that HTPC and have it set up as an Orb Server allowing me to access it from anywhere in the world as long as I have wifi or a cellular signal. I can even my movies / music / photos / and even TV directly to my iPhone over 3G. That's why I prefer digital distribution. Because it allows me 100% access to my media content anywhere / anytime.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mythrol
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="mythrol"] My biggest issue with the PS3 isn't Blu-Ray. While I didn't like Sony decision, it's not because of the disc media itself, but rather that they included only a 2x drive speed. the biggest problem is the cell processor. THAT's what's keeping the price so high on the PS3 because no other company is using the cell, causing the demand for it to be lower than regular chips. Which has kept the processor still expensive.

Thanks for pointing to some fact that helps me to see your point. The most expensive component in the PS3 is the cell processor. Please, if I'm wrong feel free to explain why the cell is still the #1 expense.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="mythrol"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="mythrol"] My biggest issue with the PS3 isn't Blu-Ray. While I didn't like Sony decision, it's not because of the disc media itself, but rather that they included only a 2x drive speed. the biggest problem is the cell processor. THAT's what's keeping the price so high on the PS3 because no other company is using the cell, causing the demand for it to be lower than regular chips. Which has kept the processor still expensive.

Thanks for pointing to some fact that helps me to see your point. The most expensive component in the PS3 is the cell processor. Please, if I'm wrong feel free to explain why the cell is still the #1 expense.

I am talking about your claim that no one uses the Cell processor. It is a supercomputer chip, and it powers supercomputers and high-end blade centers. It is not a end user CPU, which is why you don't see gaming rigs and desktop PCs sporting the Cell.
SuperBobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 SuperBobz
Member since 2009 • 613 Posts

I don't know... putting a blu-ray player in the ps3 was a good thing for people that really wanted to buy one, but bad for people looking between the ps3 and the xbox 360. In the not-so-distant future, dvds will be abandoned just like vhs was, and blu-ray will reign supreme; until, of course, everything is required to be downloaded from the internet.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

Why do some games use Blu Ray, have no installs and have literally no loading then?

Asim90

Why do more games that use Blu-Ray, have installs and or longer loading times then the 360 version?

Your case is the minority but since I've seen what you are talking about I wish it was the majority. I'm betting the games you are talking about are most likely exclusives.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="Asim90"]

Why do some games use Blu Ray, have no installs and have literally no loading then?

The__Havoc

Why do more games that use Blu-Ray, have installs and or longer loading times then the 360 version?

Your case is the minority but since I've seen what you are talking about I wish it was the majority. I'm betting the games you are talking about are most likely exclusives.

The difference is developer knowledge and the time willing to spend to get a game optimized.
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The__Havoc

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

[QUOTE="Asim90"]

SpruceCaboose

The difference is developer knowledge and the time willing to spend to get a game optimized.

Both of which are advantages that pretty much only Sony in house devs have.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SpruceCaboose

The__Havoc
Other development houses could easily do the same, but there is a diminishing return. What benefit is there in eliminating loading from CoD WaW when Treyarch knows that their game will sell either way? First party has a benefit in that Sony is willing to go that extra mile to show off it's system, where as a multiplat developer will get the loading and things to an acceptable level and then spend their time on something else, or just ship the game.
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 The__Havoc

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

SpruceCaboose

Other development houses could easily do the same, but there is a diminishing return. What benefit is there in eliminating loading from CoD WaW when Treyarch knows that their game will sell either way? First party has a benefit in that Sony is willing to go that extra mile to show off it's system, where as a multiplat developer will get the loading and things to an acceptable level and then spend their time on something else, or just ship the game.

If it could be done easily it would be done by everyone. Going the extra mile isn't easy at all.

sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts

sony always trys new tech and they end up winning. like bluray killed hddvd. and how the motion stick is better than wii's motion controller

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mythrol
[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

SpruceCaboose

You do realize that the phrase, "go that extra mile" in itself indicates that something is NOT easy to do. That's why it's called an EXTRA mile. You have to struggle through and push to "go that extra mile".
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mythrol

sony always trys new tech and they end up winning. like bluray killed hddvd. and how the motion stick is better than wii's motion controller

sillaris
Blu-Ray didn't kill HD DVD. Warner Brothers going exclusive to Blu-Ray killed HD DVD. Before that moment happened, everyone predicted that it was going to be a long, long time before either format would win. When that announcement was made, it seemed like within a week or two Toshiba announced they were going to halt support for HD DVD.
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 The__Havoc

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

mythrol

You do realize that the phrase, "go that extra mile" in itself indicates that something is NOT easy to do. That's why it's called an EXTRA mile. You have to struggle through and push to "go that extra mile".

Thats what I said and I agree.