Microsoft should make some noise about 3D

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

So, Gimmic or not...I was totaly unaware that Gears of War 3, or the Xbox 360 in general had 3D support untill I read the small bullet point on the back of the box. What is System Wars take on this? Sure there isen't such a huge push as Sony to get the tech off the ground, but if someone who keeps a relitivly close tab on the industry such as myself to not know that some 360 games have 3D, how do they expect Joe Blow to know about this possible selling point. Where is the advertising?

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Just a huge gimmick. I have a 3D HDTV and I wouldn't even use that function if available.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Im quite interested in 3D tbh and very interested into the new 3D playstation TV

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
I think the reason they aren't pushing it as much is because they get no great benefit for having 3D in their games, it's just a nice extra. Sony on the other hand has 3D TVs on the market which they want to sell and thus want to push the tech more since there are benefits beyond gaming for them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Just a huge gimmick. I have a 3D HDTV and I wouldn't even use that function if available. KC_Hokie
Thats not really the point I'm trying to make. from a busness perspective, wouldn't it make sence to let you know its there? Microsoft is missing out on the market still interested in 3D
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
It would serve little purpose. 3D isn't really a game-seller, or even something many people are interested in. Sony markets the 3D-capabilities of their games because they want to sell 3D TVs.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Just a huge gimmick. I have a 3D HDTV and I wouldn't even use that function if available. darkspineslayer
Thats not really the point I'm trying to make. from a busness perspective, wouldn't it make sence to let you know its there? Microsoft is missing out on the market still interested in 3D

Developers aren't really even using 3D. The few that are get paid extra to do so.

There really isn't a demand by gamers or developers.

Avatar image for THE_Rob_Himself
THE_Rob_Himself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 THE_Rob_Himself
Member since 2007 • 942 Posts

It would serve little purpose. 3D isn't really a game-seller, or even something many people are interested in. Sony markets the 3D-capabilities of their games because they want to sell 3D TVs.IronBass

this

/thread

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Im quite interested in 3D tbh and very interested into the new 3D playstation TV

finalstar2007

That will be a horribly overpriced TV with awful performance, just like most every other Sony TV. You would better to stick with Panasonic, who not who not only has the best 3D playback, but some of the best 2D playback too.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#10 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
I think they're just playing around with 3D right now, testing the waters. Next gen they might choose to start pushing it.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
even if i had a 3d tv i probably would use it once just to see and then never use it again.
LORD_BLACKGULT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LORD_BLACKGULT
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

3d is only cool if you don't have to wear stupid glasses. Even then, It will still strain your eyes more than 2d, so prolonged game play would hurt.

Microsoft should use its moneypockets and make a hologram based console/tv/peripheral/thingamabob. Only then will I be impressed.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

NVIDIATI

That will be a horribly overpriced TV with awful performance, just like most every other Sony TV. You would better to stick with Panasonic, who not who not only has the best 3D playback, but some of the best 2D playback too.

Yeah $500 is too much, if i can find something for $300 same size as the Ps Tv i'd be all over it

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

3d is only cool if you don't have to wear stupid glasses. Even then, It will still strain your eyes more than 2d, so prolonged game play would hurt.

Microsoft should use its moneypockets and make a hologram based console/tv/peripheral/thingamabob. Only then will I be impressed.

LORD_BLACKGULT
I really hope 3D is a Fad, the tech isnt there to be anything special and it hurts eyes. I honestly think current 3D Tvs are going to be looked back on in 2035 like the motorola brick is looked back on now.
LORD_BLACKGULT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LORD_BLACKGULT
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

I really hope 3D is a Fad, the tech isnt there to be anything special and it hurts eyes. I honestly think current 3D Tvs are going to be looked back on in 2035 like the motorola brick is looked back on now.Plagueless

Before this 3D fad came into this current decade, people looked back on 3D... as a fad... Rather weird that 3D was a fad that happened in the 1950s, and made a resurgence. :?

Hopefully 3D dies off, and people permanently forget about it. I don't want this stupid fad to make any more comebacks...

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
the halo remaster is also going to be 3d compatible. either way i dont care at this point...ill give it a few more years and see if its still around
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 slvrraven9
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Just a huge gimmick. I have a 3D HDTV and I wouldn't even use that function if available. darkspineslayer

why should it matter to them? seriously are you going to skip a game because its not in 3D? there is no real incentive to put it in there, in fact noones even making a big fuss over it hence the absence of marketing...
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Just a huge gimmick. I have a 3D HDTV and I wouldn't even use that function if available. slvrraven9

why should it matter to them? seriously are you going to skip a game because its not in 3D? there is no real incentive to put it in there, in fact noones even making a big fuss over it hence the absence of marketing...

Well, it costs money and man hours to put 3D support in the game. MS has to have some reason for doing it.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

So, Gimmic or not...I was totaly unaware that Gears of War 3, or the Xbox 360 in general had 3D support untill I read the small bullet point on the back of the box. What is System Wars take on this? Sure there isen't such a huge push as Sony to get the tech off the ground, but if someone who keeps a relitivly close tab on the industry such as myself to not know that some 360 games have 3D, how do they expect Joe Blow to know about this possible selling point. Where is the advertising?

darkspineslayer

Off topic, but I don't understand your sig. Isn't it supposed to be the cake is a lie?

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
People still care about 3D? Rofl.
mztazmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mztazmz
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts

Just a huge gimmick. I have a 3D HDTV and I wouldn't even use that function if available. KC_Hokie

LOL, then why did you buy a 3DTV??????????????

Can't wait to hear this one:P

mztazmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mztazmz
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts

SO based on what 90% of you are saying in this thread, is it safe to assume that pretty much NONE of you have even played a game in 3D?

I will just say that at E3, I played Motorstorm 3 in 3D and it was INTENSE and the effect was awesome!

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Honestly, I'm only interested in 3D in the small space. To me the 3DS and handheld devices is where 3D entertainment should be first... I don't really love watching movies in 3D at all in theaters, in fact I hate them. i don't even feel I get the "feel" of it as much except for Avatar, which was the ONLY good 3D movie. 3D games I wouldn't mind playing on a t.v. but I'm not all for wearing glasses, and they don't exactly "add" to the games still. I love it on the 3DS though because while it still doesn't "add" to the games, it's really neat to have a device to play games, view 3D movies, take 3D pictures (those are the most fun little things, even though the camera's aren't the best... I enjoy sharing and viewing them, and they're decent enough on the small screen of the 3DS) and all those little functions.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

SO based on what 90% of you are saying in this thread, is it safe to assume that pretty much NONE of you have even played a game in 3D?

I will just say that at E3, I played Motorstorm 3 in 3D and it was INTENSE and the effect was awesome!

mztazmz

The only thing I don't like about 3D is the performance hit.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

I think the reason they aren't pushing it as much is because they get no great benefit for having 3D in their games, it's just a nice extra. Sony on the other hand has 3D TVs on the market which they want to sell and thus want to push the tech more since there are benefits beyond gaming for them.soulitane

This. Microsoft doesnt really have anything to gain from 3D gaming yet. Its still too expensive for most people to count on 3D as a marketing tool andtehy dont make 3dtv's like Sony, so they have no reason to try and push the technology as of yet. Im sure if or when 3dtv's get more mainstream we will see microsof hopping on the band wagon as well. (I really hope 3d dies) its a gimick and usually makes the quality of what im watching worse. Not once have I seen a movie in 3D and said to myelf " wow that was awesome 3D, it made the movie better"...

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

No please...I had wished that pseudo 3d was one gimmick Microsoft would pass up...but sadly no...

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

mztazmz

It's not really amazing... since it's not even real 3D.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="mztazmz"]

Bebi_vegeta

What is real 3D?
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="mztazmz"]

Cherokee_Jack

What is real 3D?

Like an actual image in 3D... not a illusion.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Just a huge gimmick. I have a 3D HDTV and I wouldn't even use that function if available. KC_Hokie

Developers aren't really even using 3D. The few that are get paid extra to do so.

There really isn't a demand by gamers or developers.

much like HDTV last gen, the processing power and the tech wasnt as affordable as now.

Till we see 3dtv's which dont require glasses and those become cheap i dont think we will see it really taking off.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

What is real 3D?

Everything about graphics is pretty much an illusion.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] What is real 3D?Cherokee_Jack

Everything about graphics is pretty much an illusion.

WHAT???? NO!!!! HOW CAN THEY DO THIS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, I think you should informe yourself how they do the "3D" with glasses...

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Just a huge gimmick. I have a 3D HDTV and I wouldn't even use that function if available. mztazmz

I don't know exactly what TV he has, but most flagship TVs come with 3D built in, take the Panasonic VT30 for example, it has the best 2D playback short of a 9th Gen Kuro (which is no longer available).

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

Better off to make 3D more of a next gen thing me thinks. :P

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 slvrraven9
[QUOTE="slvrraven9"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] Thats not really the point I'm trying to make. from a busness perspective, wouldn't it make sence to let you know its there? Microsoft is missing out on the market still interested in 3DCherokee_Jack

Well, it costs money and man hours to put 3D support in the game. MS has to have some reason for doing it.

well there are SOME people who do like the whole 3D thing and theres nothing wrong with experimenting with the market but to put a considerable amount of effort into marketing and advertising is a waste at this point considering its MS and not Sony. i would imagine theres a bonus for the devs to include 3D mabey as an incentive for that extra coding and man hours but even if noone uses the 3d effect in the game....you still have the core game to play without the 3d option. no major loss if people use it or not...
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 slvrraven9

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Just a huge gimmick. I have a 3D HDTV and I wouldn't even use that function if available. mztazmz

bragging rights?? mabey his parents bought it for the family room?
ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

The problem with 3D is the mutliple standards and cost for the consumer. If I want a full HD 3D TV then for a 46" I am looking at £1299 for a good set which brings the nect question; Do I get a passive or active set, if its the latter then im looking £60 a pair of additonal glasses which may suffer from cross talk. I have seen somecheap first generation 3DTV prices around £600ish but they dont support Full HD in 1080p and some require the £60 a pair glasses to be bought and also a 3D transmitter!

Until 3D develops a single standard I dont think it will take off as currently its confusing and expensive for the average consumer.

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts

3D TV actually have better 2D pcitures than a plain old 2D only TV. That would be why I'm getting a 3D TV soon without much need for 3D as well.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

finalstar2007

i used it pretty sweet to have a 240fps tv

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

dontshackzmii

It's only 120Hz... The 240Hz isn't native.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

NVIDIATI

I heard that it does 240 fps and splits it in half when two people are using it at the same time.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

dontshackzmii

I heard that it does 240 fps and splits it in half when two people are using it at the same time.

No, it does 120Hz and splits it in half so you can have two people playing with 3D OFF, each in 60Hz . The glasses are still needed for this to work.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I have a 3D tv and I use it every time I can.

zaigham_riaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zaigham_riaz
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts
I own a 55" 3D TV since last year and also own the first 3D monitor by Samsung. Gaming in 3D is just so immersive that now whenever I try to play in 2D, I just hate it. Just switching from 2D to 3D makes your gaming world so much detailed. Games like The Witcher 2, NFS-Shift, Overlord 2, Prince of Persia 2008, Tomb Raider-Underworld, BF-Bad company2 and others are just plain stunning in 3D. 3D Blueray movies are much better on a 3DTV than in Cinema because of color depth and higher resolutions; Cinema projectors just can't display so many colors. Apart from Avatar, now there are plenty of great movies in 3D. A lot of documentaries from IMAX like Ocean World, Deep Sea, Into the deep, TRex and others are just a marvel. Then there are movies like The Green Hornet, Tangled, Despicable me, How to train your dragon, Alice in Wonderland, Drive angry and others that really enhance your movie experience. Watching Alice in Wonderland and Drive Angry, I even got scared a few times when the character threw something suddenly towards me. It was like just coming at my face. Forget 3D in cinema. Since I've started to experience it on my TV, I've never liked any 3D movie in cinema; it's just garbage in comparison. Then the people judging all this 3D based on their experience from 3D cinema are plain clueless how 3D games and movies enhance your experience on a big 3DTV. Go at least try it before talking.
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts
[QUOTE="zaigham_riaz"]I own a 55" 3D TV since last year and also own the first 3D monitor by Samsung. Gaming in 3D is just so immersive that now whenever I try to play in 2D, I just hate it. Just switching from 2D to 3D makes your gaming world so much detailed. Games like The Witcher 2, NFS-Shift, Overlord 2, Prince of Persia 2008, Tomb Raider-Underworld, BF-Bad company2 and others are just plain stunning in 3D. 3D Blueray movies are much better on a 3DTV than in Cinema because of color depth and higher resolutions; Cinema projectors just can't display so many colors. Apart from Avatar, now there are plenty of great movies in 3D. A lot of documentaries from IMAX like Ocean World, Deep Sea, Into the deep, TRex and others are just a marvel. Then there are movies like The Green Hornet, Tangled, Despicable me, How to train your dragon, Alice in Wonderland, Drive angry and others that really enhance your movie experience. Watching Alice in Wonderland and Drive Angry, I even got scared a few times when the character threw something suddenly towards me. It was like just coming at my face. Forget 3D in cinema. Since I've started to experience it on my TV, I've never liked any 3D movie in cinema; it's just garbage in comparison. Then the people judging all this 3D based on their experience from 3D cinema are plain clueless how 3D games and movies enhance your experience on a big 3DTV. Go at least try it before talking.

i was gonna say i have the same experience i love it, 90% of the people who knock it (that i know in person) havent even tried using one
FallenAngel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FallenAngel-
Member since 2009 • 252 Posts

Meh. This 3D fad is nothing more than just that, a fad to me. It's a gimmick that adds little to games and usually isn't worth the performance tradeoffs that come with it.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14505 Posts

The only thing I find desirable from 3D is being able to produce two separate images and only see one with one pair of glasses and the other with a different pair. Beyond that though, 3D is garbage to me.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bebi_vegeta

I own a 55" 3D TV since last year and also own the first 3D monitor by Samsung. Gaming in 3D is just so immersive that now whenever I try to play in 2D, I just hate it. Just switching from 2D to 3D makes your gaming world so much detailed. Games like The Witcher 2, NFS-Shift, Overlord 2, Prince of Persia 2008, Tomb Raider-Underworld, BF-Bad company2 and others are just plain stunning in 3D. 3D Blueray movies are much better on a 3DTV than in Cinema because of color depth and higher resolutions; Cinema projectors just can't display so many colors. Apart from Avatar, now there are plenty of great movies in 3D. A lot of documentaries from IMAX like Ocean World, Deep Sea, Into the deep, TRex and others are just a marvel. Then there are movies like The Green Hornet, Tangled, Despicable me, How to train your dragon, Alice in Wonderland, Drive angry and others that really enhance your movie experience. Watching Alice in Wonderland and Drive Angry, I even got scared a few times when the character threw something suddenly towards me. It was like just coming at my face. Forget 3D in cinema. Since I've started to experience it on my TV, I've never liked any 3D movie in cinema; it's just garbage in comparison. Then the people judging all this 3D based on their experience from 3D cinema are plain clueless how 3D games and movies enhance your experience on a big 3DTV. Go at least try it before talking.zaigham_riaz

God good, you can't accept that this kind of 3D with glasses is not made for everyone... People have tried it! I don't think it's worth it cause it's not that amazing! It's not like going from SD to HD. The 3D tech needs to get better.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
The best thing about it is Kinect could utilise it instantly and have you on screen in 3D.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
I have a passive 3d set, and it is amazing. Good 3d content really does change the experience. Like playing Mass Effect 2 or Batman AA in 3D is mind blowing, yet playing Counter Strike in 3D is just okay. If you see a game made for 3D being playing in #D you quickly see it's no gimmick. Sniping in BFBC2 in 3D is like no other shooter I've ever played. Active 3D sucks cause of all the flicker, but passive 3D is great, and cheap too, works with the glasses you get from real 3D movies. Sets are less that $500 too.