Microsoft "punched themselves out" of next-gen fight

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sihanouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sihanouk
Member since 2008 • 601 Posts

Xbox 360 came out early and punched hard, winning the first 2 rounds. Now, it appears tired and loosing. Apparently, Xbox 360 forgot that this is a 5-6 year marathon, no a 2 year sprint.

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/174588.shtml

Eragon_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Eragon_11
Member since 2004 • 5022 Posts
If Sony's marketing VP said it, it must be true. :roll:
Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts
For Microsoft it is, they can afford to churn out new Xbox all the time. Constantly swapping out with new fighters :P
manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
punched themselves out for PS3 :| more like the wii punched 360 and PS3 out
blitzkid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blitzkid1
Member since 2008 • 3952 Posts
Gamepro is so biased its not even funny.
Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Kratos_OMEGA
Member since 2007 • 2872 Posts
MAybe..but MS hasn't lost anything yet. IT still has a larger isnstall base than PS3..and software sales are still superior for multiplats. Even if PS3 outsells 360 by 2010....it wont' be by much. And the key thing is 3rd party developer support. 360 already has more than original Xbox..by a mile and isn't getting shafted compared to PS2-XB last gen.
Masters_Chief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Masters_Chief
Member since 2008 • 464 Posts
Can't exactly disagree with that. Everything seemed to begin and end with fall last year.. not that this year is bad but 360 is slowing down.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Xbox 360 came out early and punched hard, winning the first 2 rounds. Now, it appears tired and loosing. Apparently, Xbox 360 forgot that this is a 5-6 year marathon, no a 2 year sprint.

Sihanouk

The thing is M$ only thinks of today or in some cases yesterday. Sony on the other hand tries to deliver something with a long life span. Look how long the PS1 was around before it was discontinued followed by the PS2 that's been out for somewhere around 7 or 8 years now and still going strong. Now the PS3 is designed for a 10+ life span and with there past track record it's very very possible for this to happen.

fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts

360 is becoming the college dropout, so much potential, then it was all wasted.... Just like the GC.....

but who knows what will happen, gears 2 could be the next best thing since sliced bread, then all the haters would have to zipper their mouths in shame.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I wouldn't say Microsoft "punched themselves out" exactly, but Sony beat them last year with Halo 3, Mass Effect, Forza 2, Bioshock etc. Looking at the '08 line ups for both consoles, Sony are just gonna beat them harder this year. Still, 3rd place in sales won't stop the 360 from being a great console.

Avatar image for Smoke_ManMuscle
Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Smoke_ManMuscle
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

I honestly have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Cows get MGS4, their possible FIRST AAAe title, and they think they've won. They still have a ways to go to catch up to either competitor.

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pietrooper

Cows get MGS4, their possible FIRST AAAe title, and they think they've won. They still have a ways to go to catch up to either competitor.

Smoke_ManMuscle

In buisness world, AAAe isn't much :|

Masters_Chief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Masters_Chief

Smoke_ManMuscle
Its not about Gamespot AAAe's kiddo
shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
Gamepro, aka The unofficial playstation magazine....they've given multiple multiplats that were CLEARLY better on 360 even scores with reviews that preached about the advantages of the ps3 version, when there was no doubt in anyones mind the 360 version was better...
Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Smoke_ManMuscle
[QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"]

Pietrooper

In the business world, going from indisputably first to undeniably last place in the span of a year is much.

Fact is, 360's still getting all the multiplats. It's still getting good exclusives. The only thing it's not getting are sales, and even then the difference is marginal.

Point being, it doesn't matter if the PS3 pulls ahead because it's effectively gained nothing. And if you're going to talk business, then just stop talking about PS3 or 360 at all. Neither of them are worth mentioning alongside Nintendo.

Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Smoke_ManMuscle
[QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"]

Masters_Chief

Cow arrogance is directly related to Gamespot AAAe's. You think they're getting cocky for some reason other than the impending release of MGS4? Unlikely. Try again, kiddo.

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pietrooper

Gamepro, aka The unofficial playstation magazine....they've given multiple multiplats that were CLEARLY better on 360 even scores with reviews that preached about the advantages of the ps3 version, when there was no doubt in anyones mind the 360 version was better...shadow8585

Such as...? Link me some games please :|

Masters_Chief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Masters_Chief
[QUOTE="Masters_Chief"][QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"]

Smoke_ManMuscle

Cow arrogance is directly related to Gamespot AAAe's. You think they're getting cocky for some reason other than the impending release of MGS4? Unlikely. Try again, kiddo.

Battle of the kids ha

No, they're getting confident cuz PS3 sales have increased, Blu-Ray has won, PS3s '08 lineup is awesome, multiplats have become even....anything I missed..

Fact is, any behavior they have now is only a response to aggression from other fanboys.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts
oh come on. That's the guy's job, to hype the PS3. If a Marketing VP from Microsoft was given an interview he would also
speak that way
Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vectah_Sigma
Member since 2007 • 1104 Posts
[QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"]

Smoke_ManMuscle

In the business world, going from indisputably first to undeniably last place in the span of a year is much.

Fact is, 360's still getting all the multiplats. It's still getting good exclusives. The only thing it's not getting are sales, and even then the difference is marginal.

Point being, it doesn't matter if the PS3 pulls ahead because it's effectively gained nothing. And if you're going to talk business, then just stop talking about PS3 or 360 at all. Neither of them are worth mentioning alongside Nintendo.

Gained nothing, it would gain alot.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
[QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"]

Smoke_ManMuscle

In the business world you see that PS3 beat X360 it's first year out. The only thing X360 is hanging onto is the 1 year advantage it had while it only had to compete against PS2.

AlienSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlienSoldier
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

Smoke_ManMuscle

MGS4 will do nothing for PS3 in Japan, it's already finished over there. I also find it strange how people are writing off the 360 just because PS3 gets a good game. They seem to forget that games like Ninja Gaiden 2, Banjoe, Gears of war 2, Too Human are coming to 360 this year.

Enjoy MGS4 cows, but it changes nothing.

Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Smoke_ManMuscle
[QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"][QUOTE="Masters_Chief"][QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"]

Masters_Chief

Battle of the kids ha

No, they're getting confident cuz PS3 sales have increased, Blu-Ray has won, PS3s '08 lineup is awesome, multiplats have become even....anything I missed..

Fact is, any behavior they have now is only a response to aggression from other fanboys.

Yup, now the cows believe sales matter, even though their "lead" isn't significant enough to matter this generation. But multiplats aren't equal, and PS3's '08 lineup isn't awesome, it's just finally up to par with what the other consoles have been offering over the last year. In other words, cows are talking because they're finally getting a reason to own their PS3s.

manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
[QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"]

EmperorSupreme

In the business world you see that PS3 beat X360 it's first year out. The only thing X360 is hanging onto is the 1 year advantage it had while it only had to compete against PS2.

In the business world you would see that the 360 and PS3 are both getting trounced by the Wii it's kinda funny actually this ps3 outsells 360 argument is like saying addidas beat reebok so there still getting their arses whooped by nike

it's no ones goal to compete for 2nd place especially when your last console sold 120 million

Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Smoke_ManMuscle

EmperorSupreme

I like how you completely ignored the next paragraph.

Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Smoke_ManMuscle

Vectah_Sigma

Gained nothing, it would gain alot.

In terms of 360 losing, or falling out of the race:

Such as? More exclusives? More multiplats? Good 3rd party support?

Oh wait, 360 already has that.

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 L1qu1dSword
Member since 2006 • 2835 Posts

Can't exactly disagree with that. Everything seemed to begin and end with fall last year.. not that this year is bad but 360 is slowing down.Masters_Chief

lol NG2, Fable 2 and especially Gears 2 will certainly shake the gaming world. PS3 just has mgs4 this year. weak.

Masters_Chief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Masters_Chief

[QUOTE="Masters_Chief"]Can't exactly disagree with that. Everything seemed to begin and end with fall last year.. not that this year is bad but 360 is slowing down.L1qu1dSword

lol NG2, Fable 2 and especially Gears 2 will certainly shake the gaming world. PS3 just has mgs4 this year. weak.

Should I respond to that mockery of a post with some sense? Nahhh you dont deserve it...

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

[QUOTE="Masters_Chief"]Can't exactly disagree with that. Everything seemed to begin and end with fall last year.. not that this year is bad but 360 is slowing down.L1qu1dSword

I don't think anybody but lemmings cares about any of those except for Gears.

NG2- the only hype it has is excessive blood effects, other than that it looks just like NG: Sigma on PS3. Fable2- Molyneux hasn't delivered a good game since Populous, the first Fable was boring I don't know a single person that made it more than 20hrs into the game. Gears2 will be good, but it will be better on the PC.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

:lol: That's the second dumbest thing I've heard in System Wars today......

Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Smoke_ManMuscle
[QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"]

[QUOTE="Masters_Chief"]Can't exactly disagree with that. Everything seemed to begin and end with fall last year.. not that this year is bad but 360 is slowing down.Masters_Chief

Should I respond to that mockery of a post with some sense? Nahhh you dont deserve it...

The sad part is that you're completely oblivious to the fact that Gears of War sold in the same ballpark (re: within a 600k) as the first two MGS titles, and sold MORE than MGS3.

But I guess if you just pretend it doesn't exist, that's okay, too.

ps3_4_eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ps3_4_eva
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Sihanouk"]

jimm895

The thing is M$ only thinks of today or in some cases yesterday. Sony on the other hand tries to deliver something with a long life span. Look how long the PS1 was around before it was discontinued followed by the PS2 that's been out for somewhere around 7 or 8 years now and still going strong. Now the PS3 is designed for a 10+ life span and with there past track record it's very very possible for this to happen.

Very, VERY true

Masters_Chief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Masters_Chief
[QUOTE="Masters_Chief"][QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"]

[QUOTE="Masters_Chief"]Can't exactly disagree with that. Everything seemed to begin and end with fall last year.. not that this year is bad but 360 is slowing down.Smoke_ManMuscle

The sad part is that you're completely oblivious to the fact that Gears of War sold in the same ballpark (re: within a 600k) as the first two MGS titles, and sold MORE than MGS3.

The sad part is that you're completely oblivious to the fact that MGS4 pre-orders are sold out, GT5: P is over 1 million pre-orders in Europe alone.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

"I think these factors are timed perfectly because our competition has already leveraged all their big assets in the first couple of years and may have punched themselves out of the fight."

Leveraged all their big assets? Sure these types of comments are completely normal coming from a marketing VP, but I still find them unfair. I still find a very good list of games for the 360 and Wii that are already out this year and coming. Both consoles seem to be doing just fine in the hardware and software department when it comes to sales...

Just because the competition does not announce game releases prior to 2 years of its release and starts releasing a few killer apps (from a critical point of view, not mine) on the first year of the consoles life span, does not mean that they are without assets.

Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Smoke_ManMuscle

The sad part is that you're completely oblivious to the fact that MGS4 pre-orders are sold out, GT5: P is over 1 million pre-orders in Europe alone.

Masters_Chief

Nowhere have I said either.

The game's chances of bringing in new consumers are relatively low. It's going to have the same feel and appeal to the same audience. It's not a stretch of the imagination that MGS4 will sell in the realm, at BEST, of the previous entries in the title.

That means around 4.5-5 million. Pretty damn good, but not "I can shrug off other games that have sold just as well" good.

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts

Gamepro is so biased its not even funny.blitzkid1

And GameSpot is not?

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="Smoke_ManMuscle"]

manny280

In the business world you would see that the 360 and PS3 are both getting trounced by the Wii it's kinda funny actually this ps3 outsells 360 argument is like saying addidas beat reebok so there still getting their arses whooped by nike

it's no ones goal to compete for 2nd place especially when your last console sold 120 million

Its cute how all the SONY fanboys completely skipped this post, because its true.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Sony's marketing VP tells GamePro that...

Thank you for reminding me why I don't frequent this board anymore. -_-

greenpyro33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 greenpyro33
Member since 2007 • 3872 Posts

MAybe..but MS hasn't lost anything yet. IT still has a larger isnstall base than PS3..and software sales are still superior for multiplats. Even if PS3 outsells 360 by 2010....it wont' be by much. And the key thing is 3rd party developer support. 360 already has more than original Xbox..by a mile and isn't getting shafted compared to PS2-XB last gen.Kratos_OMEGA

dude, of course the install base is bigger. They released killer ip's last year and have been out a year longer. They are saying PS3 is catching up.

Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

360 is becoming the college dropout, so much potential, then it was all wasted.... Just like the GC.....

but who knows what will happen, gears 2 could be the next best thing since sliced bread, then all the haters would have to zipper their mouths in shame.

fiscope
That would be nice, but its still not a reason to buy the 360. I will just buy it for my PC. Also ps3 is a bakery this year push out things that have the potential to be better than sliced bread, MGS4 sounds amazing from previews, KZ2 can be great, but we dont know anything of it. GT5, come on best selling franchise on ps2 it will be same on ps3. Socom, so many flippin socom fans for the playstation series wether the played since 1 or they started on psp there are a bunch. Go on COD4 for ps3 and you are bound to run into someone asking bout socom and how much they are looking foward to it. FF. What else can i say? Its a huge franchise.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
Sony's marketing VP tells GamePro that...

Thank you for reminding me why I don't frequent this board anymore. -_-

Verge_6

:lol:

What did people expect him to say? His job is to advertise the PS3 as best as possible.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
Wait, so Microsoft already released their next gen console? What's it called?
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

The Xbox 360 just needs a price drop and it'll be fine sales wise. Right now it's over priced in my opinion.

Games wise, if you don't think the Xbox 360's line up is great odds are all you play are shooters, heh. Which would explain the "All the 360 has is Gears of War 2 this year".

Ninja Gaiden II, Lost Odyssey, Too Human, Banjo-Threeie, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Gears of War 2 and Fable 2.

For those of you who didn't know, Splinter Cell and Fable were the top selling franchises games right under Halo for the original Xbox. Both are making their appearance on the Xbox 360 this year, as well as the sequel to the game that brought the Xbox 360 into the mainstream, Gears of War 2.

For Japan, Tales of Vesperia is being developed by the Tales of Symphonia/Abyss team the two highest selling Tales of games in Japan. Infinite Undiscovery is being developed by tri-Ace (Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile) and published by Square Enix. Combined with Cry On, the Xbox 360 has it's strongest holiday line-up ever for the region.

This is the first year where the Xbox 360 has covered all it's bases and will have something for everyone.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
[QUOTE="fiscope"]

Sully28

That would be nice, but its still not a reason to buy the 360. I will just buy it for my PC. Also ps3 is a bakery this year push out things that have the potential to be better than sliced bread, MGS4 sounds amazing from previews, KZ2 can be great, but we dont know anything of it. GT5, come on best selling franchise on ps2 it will be same on ps3. Socom, so many flippin socom fans for the playstation series wether the played since 1 or they started on psp there are a bunch. Go on COD4 for ps3 and you are bound to run into someone asking bout socom and how much they are looking foward to it. FF. What else can i say? Its a huge franchise.

It's true about how big Socom is. Now the Playrtation network is hosting a web site that covers everything to do with Socom and it's a busy site. I am one of the fans of this series of games and have found people playing Socom 1 on-line even now after all the years it's been on the market. Along with the rest of the series of this game. It's almost like this game will never die.

After Confrontation there is another version of this game that's being developed by the original developer to be released at a later date.

karram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 karram
Member since 2006 • 1682 Posts
What do expect him to say ?
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
For Microsoft it is, they can afford to churn out new Xbox all the time. Constantly swapping out with new fighters :PPietrooper

I don't think the consumer can keep up
ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts

oh dear, PS3 is Still in pretty much the same siduation it was in 2007, it only outsold 360 twice this year because there were suppely and production constriants on 360s, M$ said so before the numbers were released, its attach rates still suck, its first must have game is still months away, and its millions behind either the 360 and th Wii, from a biz point of veiw, its still a disaster.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
I dont think 360 is losing anything. Stil games ont he way, still good games... still fun to play, and still amazing