Microsoft Patent Shows Next Xbox Customizable Like PC

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

From Tom's, sorry if old.

"There's speculation that this dual-system customizable console setup could lead to multiple configurations from OEMs much like we see with desktops and laptops. Even more, the "over time" could mean that Microsoft is seeking to remove itself from the traditional fixed architecture model as we've seen since the beginning."

Clicky

Wow, if true I welcome this.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Sounds very interesting and refreshing in its uniqueness.
quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

consoles should stay consoles instead of a poor man gaming pc.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Sounds very interesting and refreshing in its uniqueness. wolverine4262
The N64 did something similar and I LOVED IT
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]Sounds very interesting and refreshing in its uniqueness. Giancar

Absolutely right! I believe the expansion added RAM? I think I got it with DK64
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="wolverine4262"]Sounds very interesting and refreshing in its uniqueness. wolverine4262

yep. DK64. And then we got MM, PD, Conker and some few other gems. It gave a new life to the n64. I would love to have something like this. Just imagine the 360/ps3 with a nice ram boost of 512 ram for the past couple of years.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. Its always been a point for MS, imo, choice for consumers.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="Giancar"] yep. DK64. And then we got MM, PD, Conker and some few other gems. It gave a new life to the n64. I would love to have something like this. Just imagine the 360/ps3 with a nice ram boost of 512 ram for the past couple of years.

I agree. The main bottleneck on the consoles is definitely RAM. Although the above article doesnt mention RAM as part of the expansion. I would say what MS has here is pretty ambitious if it turns out true.
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I don't welcome it...I already have a PC I have to upgrade I do not want to have to upgrade my console too

Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Deevoshun

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]Sounds very interesting and refreshing in its uniqueness. Giancar

Wow I forgot about this! I too bought the extra RAM, I think it was for a racing game they made. Nintendo was ahead of its time back then, it's only too bad they went cartridge based with the N64

Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Deevoshun

I don't welcome it...I already have a PC I have to upgrade I do not want to have to upgrade my console too

chikenfriedrice

You won't have to upgrade it, it's going to be a choice. Just like a PC. If you don't upgrade you just play at lower graphic settings.

Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

As people mentioned above, the Nintendo 64 had upgradable RAM, which was used in some of the Nintendo 64 greatest games such as Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark and many others. So for the Xbox 8 to have upgradable parts, its nothing new to the console business. It history serves correctly, the Nintendo 64 upgradable RAM feature was extremely popular for gamers and just about everyone I know used that optional feature to enhance their gaming experience.

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts

I really think MS is aiming for the jugular with the next box..This would essentially make the need for endless new iterations of hardware obsolete and allow them to be totally there on day one of cloud feasibility for the masses. All the while being accessible to devs of all tiers

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

That's not what the pattent says at all.

They are talking about enhancing the gameplay via cloud services. NOT allowing customizable hardware.

The moment you allow people to change hardware you open up the doors to possibly piracy and most importantly you create a disparate hardware environment. Why do you think the android does so badly? It's because of the various different hardware environments.

The PC abstracts this somewhat by using a universal API for interaction (DX) and by standardizing the input/output devices.

For a console to do this would be developer hell. And the consle gamer,s used to fixed console hardware woudl have a fit!

"What do you mean I can't play this game unless I upgrade my RAM?" "Are you seriously telling me I need the new GPU on my CONSOLE to run this game at high settings?"

At that point, consolites are essentially paying a monthly fee to Microsoft for a cheapo PC.

I don't think even consolites are dumb enough to fall for that. I'm guessing most would switch to Ps3/Wii or just get a PC for next gen.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
It's a moronic idea, and would be little used by third parties, which are the bread and butter of a MS console. Devs are attracted to console releases because there's a large install base with identical hardware. Releasing a title that requires various optional upgrades does nothing more than shrink your market, so major titles expecting large sales will stick with the base hardware, and you'll be left with smaller titles that try to sell themselves on compatibility with upgrades more than the content or quality of their game. We've seen this over and over with everything from the 64 RAM cart to the eyetoy, Kinect, and wii balance board.
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

Deevoshun

You won't have to upgrade it, it's going to be a choice. Just like a PC. If you don't upgrade you just play at lower graphic settings.

that's the problem...who doesn't want the best a console would offer...that is the best thing about consoles everybody is getting the same product out of the box

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spiderluck

[QUOTE="Deevoshun"]

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

chikenfriedrice

that's the problem...who doesn't want the best a console would offer...that is the best thing about consoles everybody is getting the same product out of the box

If the upgrades occur on a haphazard or too frequent basis then it is a problem but if it is done and regulated so that upgrades occur on a 2 or 3 year cycle...no problemo...
Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Hmm that's actually really interesting. Definitely want to hear more about this.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
It would be cool if you could swap out a piece, similar to the N64's ram. This could make a console last for 10+ years of they are going for longevity.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
The problem with doing this is that developers have no idea how many people have what console configuration so every game will be set at the lowest common denominator and you'll get no value out of your superior machine.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

It should have a kit where you can write programs!

Consoles of the future shouldn't take a crowbar to open them and update them.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#22 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
What's the point then?
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts
That sounds like a good way to keep it future proof and a good way to gain profit by milking consumers. You probably will only be able to upgrade Microsoft branded hdd and ram ect.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

It's a moronic idea, and would be little used by third parties, which are the bread and butter of a MS console. Devs are attracted to console releases because there's a large install base with identical hardware. Releasing a title that requires various optional upgrades does nothing more than shrink your market, so major titles expecting large sales will stick with the base hardware, and you'll be left with smaller titles that try to sell themselves on compatibility with upgrades more than the content or quality of their game. We've seen this over and over with everything from the 64 RAM cart to the eyetoy, Kinect, and wii balance board. santoron

What makes you think many games would actually require those parts? If they are not used a lot, fine, so be it. But if you want to keep a console for many years, why not give it at least some upgrade possibilities, instead of being stuck with an outdated system? What's the problem with the N64 RAM cart?

Releasing a title needing some upgrades would be pretty bad if those upgrades cost too much, but nothing says that it would be the case. When you play games on your pc, as long as you have a decent PC, you can play all games, how good it plays depends on your hardware and your settings. Why not do the same thing with a console?

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spiderluck
The problem with doing this is that developers have no idea how many people have what console configuration so every game will be set at the lowest common denominator and you'll get no value out of your superior machine. Ninja-Hippo
Well if you take it for granted that in all likelyhood games will look amazing right off the bat come next gen and upgrades happen on a regular cycle thereafter then games will always look good and if the hardware can scale up or down then everybody gets a good looking game and freakazoids such as myself are happy about getting top tech
pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

customizable sound good but if microsoft refuse to release third party parts then this is a crap idea. it will be too expensive, we r paying alot of money for harddrives for xbox because ms refuse to allow third party people to release there own hardware. i cant even start to imagine what upgrading 3d card and ram on next box will cost if it was m$ exclusive hardware only.

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spiderluck

customizable sound good but if microsoft refuse to release third party parts then this is a crap idea. it will be too expensive, we r paying alot of money for harddrives for xbox because ms refuse to allow third party people to release there own hardware. i cant even start to imagine what upgrading 3d card and ram on next box will cost if it was m$ exclusive hardware only.

pc-ps360
Certainly no more than the cost of an entirely new console and that is the whole point i think ...Ultimately good for gamers if upgrades are planned every 2 or 3 years and good for MS and devs ...no more R&D costs ...development tools evolve rather than starting anew so it becomes a stable dev environment and allows top tier developers to push the envelope as they see fit...i fail to see any drawbacks
Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Deevoshun

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

spiderluck

Certainly no more than the cost of an entirely new console and that is the whole point i think ...Ultimately good for gamers if upgrades are planned every 2 or 3 years and good for MS and devs ...no more R&D costs ...development tools evolve rather than starting anew so it becomes a stable dev environment and allows top tier developers to push the envelope as they see fit...i fail to see any drawbacks

I can't see much of a drawback, as it stand all these new engines are reportedly very scalable (even down to current gen). I don't see nothing wrong with playing the same game at higher graphical settings than the vanilla xbox 720 three or 4 years down the road.

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spiderluck
E

[QUOTE="spiderluck"][QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

Deevoshun

I can't see much of a drawback, as it stand all these new engines are reportedly very scalable (even down to current gen). I don't see nothing wrong with playing the same game at higher graphical settings than the vanilla xbox 720 three or 4 years down the road.

Exactly and bearing in mind that the vanilla version [ as you put it ] will still be a really good looking game
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

The problem with doing this is that developers have no idea how many people have what console configuration so every game will be set at the lowest common denominator and you'll get no value out of your superior machine. Ninja-Hippo

This is how 60FPS gaming happens.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#31 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i been wanting something like it. It be nice say every 4-5 years or w/e just snap the case off slide new gpu/cpu in and good to go for next 4-5... as long it is not abbused where they want you update every year for useless crap. then we have a issue

you get the point.

closer you get it just pc. there is chance just make all exclusives for the system and pc= more sells. Then be really nice if they ditch games on demand and get it powered by steam :)

but there is draw backs because devs always aims at the max consumers they can get at once.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Other consoles have been upgradable before such as the Sega CD and Sega 32X. Although it may not appeal to everybody, an upgradable XBox sounds fine to me. At least, there's that option.

In any case, it's a feature I wanted the original XBox to have.

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 spiderluck

i been wanting something like it. It be nice say every 4-5 years or w/e just snap the case off slide new gpu/cpu in and good to go for next 4-5...

you get the point.

closer you get it just pc. there is chance just make all exclusives for the system and pc= more sells. Then be really nice if they ditch games on demand and get it powered by steam :)

but there is draw backs because devs always aims at the max consumers they can get at once.

k2theswiss
The article does mention that this solution more or less guarantees BC, so that any game made in the future would still work with the original next-box/-720/-whatever. This means that games can be always made to max settings and scaled down accordingly..Even gamers whose machine still outputs lower settings will still be getting awesome looking games and the choice will be theirs as to wether they wish to upgrade or not.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="wolverine4262"]Sounds very interesting and refreshing in its uniqueness. wolverine4262

Please, lets not have fond memories of what Nintendo did with the N64. The extra RAM was there for the Disk Drive which was suppose to come out relatively soon after launch. Yet it never came out in NA and Nintendo's botching of the DD really screwed over the N64 (3rd parties switched over the PS after they realized the DD was never coming out). Also Nintendo was working on Super Mario 64 2. Think about that. That system had so much potential. Anyone remember this?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
that would be absolutely awesome. From everything MS could do, this is by far THE thing.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="santoron"]It's a moronic idea, and would be little used by third parties, which are the bread and butter of a MS console. Devs are attracted to console releases because there's a large install base with identical hardware. Releasing a title that requires various optional upgrades does nothing more than shrink your market, so major titles expecting large sales will stick with the base hardware, and you'll be left with smaller titles that try to sell themselves on compatibility with upgrades more than the content or quality of their game. We've seen this over and over with everything from the 64 RAM cart to the eyetoy, Kinect, and wii balance board. bloodling

What makes you think many games would actually require those parts? If they are not used a lot, fine, so be it. But if you want to keep a console for many years, why not give it at least some upgrade possibilities, instead of being stuck with an outdated system? What's the problem with the N64 RAM cart?

Releasing a title needing some upgrades would be pretty bad if those upgrades cost too much, but nothing says that it would be the case. When you play games on your pc, as long as you have a decent PC, you can play all games, how good it plays depends on your hardware and your settings. Why not do the same thing with a console?

Why don't you just get a PC if that's the case?
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

It's a moronic idea, and would be little used by third parties, which are the bread and butter of a MS console. Devs are attracted to console releases because there's a large install base with identical hardware. Releasing a title that requires various optional upgrades does nothing more than shrink your market, so major titles expecting large sales will stick with the base hardware, and you'll be left with smaller titles that try to sell themselves on compatibility with upgrades more than the content or quality of their game. We've seen this over and over with everything from the 64 RAM cart to the eyetoy, Kinect, and wii balance board. santoron

This. It's a lowest common denominator situation.

I don't actually hate the idea, but I would rather not blur the line between console and PC.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Other consoles have been upgradable before such as the Sega CD and Sega 32X. Although it may not appeal to everybody, an upgradable XBox sounds fine to me. At least, there's that option.

jun_aka_pekto

Sega, Sega... ::spins rolodex:: Ah yes, here it is, says they're dead as a console manufacture. Not sure following part of a failed model will work, consoles are best off as completely standardized.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Kinda like developers have no idea what % of PC gamers have high end gamer PC so developers always make dumbed down PC games......oh wait they dont.
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Inconsistancy

Sega, Sega... ::spins rolodex:: Ah yes, here it is, says they're dead as a console manufacture. Not sure following part of a failed model will work, consoles are best off as completely standardized.

:lol:

Beat me to it. I can't believe someone actually brought up Sega to defend upgradeability.

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 spiderluck

Why do i sense that most people against this are either sony or nintendo fanboys

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bloodling

Why don't you just get a PC if that's the case?DragonfireXZ95

That's not for me to judge. Consoles are smaller, cheaper, have some exclusives... Of course I consider PCs to be clear winners over consoles, but consoles still have their place. You don't buy a $250 PC expecting to play games as well as a PS3 does, do you?

As far as people saying that it would be a case of the lowest common denominator, well as I said, it's not hard to give the player options to choose their resolution, refresh rate, graphic quality... Every single game does this on PC, why wouldn't it work on consoles?

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Why do i sense that most people against this are either sony or nintendo fanboys

spiderluck
My PS3 is a giant dust collecting paperweight, I only play on PC. Your sense is just bias "if they think it's a bad idea, they must be fanboys".
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Why get something "like" a PC when you can actually get a PC? :?

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 santoron

[QUOTE="santoron"]It's a moronic idea, and would be little used by third parties, which are the bread and butter of a MS console. Devs are attracted to console releases because there's a large install base with identical hardware. Releasing a title that requires various optional upgrades does nothing more than shrink your market, so major titles expecting large sales will stick with the base hardware, and you'll be left with smaller titles that try to sell themselves on compatibility with upgrades more than the content or quality of their game. We've seen this over and over with everything from the 64 RAM cart to the eyetoy, Kinect, and wii balance board. bloodling

Because the entire point of a console is fixed hardware. It gives the customers peace of mind that they have no need to upgrade until the next generation, and gives devs one set of hardware to program for to reach a huge install base. This concept kills both, and without gaining much in value to those that actually buy the hardware. And adding scalability won't happen on a large scale for consoles, because it's a larger time commitment for very little return. You'll get a few games that try to add an "upgrade" mode near the upgrade's launch, and a bunch of generic titles afterwards whose only redeeming characteristic is they are "built for " in an attempt to sucker more $$$ from the people that wasted their money upgrading in the first place. If you want scalability and upgraded hardware, there's a better way to go, on a platform built to excel with both.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 santoron

spiderluck
Because you're a fanboy, and think everyone must be just like you.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bloodling

Because the entire point of a console is fixed hardware. It gives the customers peace of mind that they have no need to upgrade until the next generation, and gives devs one set of hardware to program for to reach a huge install base. This concept kills both, and without gaining much in value to those that actually buy the hardware. santoron

That's not "the entire point of a console". It's an advantage it has, and as you can see in this thread, people are willing to give up their "peace of mind that they don't need to upgrade" for the actual possibility to upgrade their console, upgrade that you can't assume that will be mandatory for any game.

And adding scalability won't happen on a large scale for consoles, because it's a larger time commitment for very little return. You'll get a few games that try to add an "upgrade" mode near the upgrade's launch, and a bunch of generic titles afterwards whose only redeeming characteristic is they are "built for " in an attempt to sucker more $$$ from the people that wasted their money upgrading in the first place. If you want scalability and upgraded hardware, there's a better way to go, on a platform built to excel with both. santoron

Well, how can it be so hard for the people who already released the game on pc, so the game already has scalability, and if Microsoft wants to go that way and get that extra money from the people who are willing to spend it, then they might just do that, it's up to them to decide and talk with the devs. As I said, smaller devs can still make games that the upgraded components wont have any advantage over the default hardware... And yes it might be some kind of way to get more money from a group of customers, whether or not this is a good strategy is a different subject.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Why don't you just get a PC if that's the case?bloodling

That's not for me to judge. Consoles are smaller, cheaper, have some exclusives... Of course I consider PCs to be clear winners over consoles, but consoles still have their place. You don't buy a $250 PC expecting to play games as well as a PS3 does, do you?

As far as people saying that it would be a case of the lowest common denominator, well as I said, it's not hard to give the player options to choose their resolution, refresh rate, graphic quality... Every single game does this on PC, why wouldn't it work on consoles?

You won't be buying a $250 console if it's upgrade-able either. You'll be paying for extra parts to get the most bang out of your console. Also, lol @ $250 price tag. It'll be 5-600 dollars on release.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bloodling

You won't be buying a $250 console if it's upgrade-able either. You'll be paying for extra parts to get the most bang out of your console. Also, lol @ $250 price tag. It'll be 5-600 dollars on release. DragonfireXZ95

I compared a PS3, which is worth $250 new, with a PC. I did not make any mention that the new consoles would be sold at the same price as a PS3 is being sold currently, and I don't understand why you think I made that claim.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Why get something "like" a PC when you can actually get a PC? :?

seanmcloughlin

this is soooo /thread +1