Microsoft is looking for a senior engineer with knowledge of GDDR6 for "future Xbox design projects"

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

And so it begins.

https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/419789/Sr-Electrical-Engineer-DRAM-Memory-Lead-XBOX

Our teams ship tens of millions of hardware products every year including the Xbox One X, Xbox One S, a full accessories lineup, and more. Microsoft is the destination for the brightest minds in gaming device design. Come be part of what’s next.
We are seeking a qualified candidate for a Senior Engineer to lead the DRAM solutions for the Xbox console hardware development team. DRAM solutions include DDR3, GDDR5, GDDR6 and future DRAM technologies. The successful candidate will be the primary technical focal point for existing and leading-edge memory technologies on currently shipping and future Xbox design projects.

The focus will be integrating the right memory solutions into the console based on a variety of constraints such as power, cost, reliability, signal integrity and performance requirements.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

So they can achieve BC in 8K?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

As i have said before the next Xbox will ship 12 months earlier than PS.

PS5 should go HBM.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44147 Posts

ZOMG... XXX Supah Mighty 8K 120 fps MonsterBox MasterRace gonna make the peasants lose what's left of their collective minds. Great stuff. lol :P

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

lol, When I made my thread that all the AAA games MS show off at E3 this year were going to be for the NEXT GENERATION hardware and leave original Xbox one hardware behind they didn't believe...

well, Looks like lems are in for another $500+ punch to the wallet in less than 3 years time just to play new games.

lol at lems who dropped $500 on the X expecting some actual support. Poor guys can't catch a break.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@tgob89 said:

lol, When I made my thread that all the AAA games MS show off at E3 this year are were going to abandon the original Xbox one hardware people though I was fanboying...

well, Looks like lems are in for another $500+ punch to the wallet in less than 3 years time.

It's no worse than the punch in the wallet PS Pro purchasers will get when the PS5 launches.

Difference is BC is all but guaranteed on futures xbox consoles where as we are not sure yet whether Sony will offer PS4 BC on PS5.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By airraidjet

Next Xbox most likely out in 2020, same time frame as PS5.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Sounds to me they have not even started designing it yet, gonna be at least 3 years from a final retail console then.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Calvincfb

@airraidjet: I hope the reveal to be at the same time, I wish to see Sony or MS fighting over the consumers like they did last time, it was as epic as Sega does what Nintendon't.

I just hope none of them screw up or try to rip consumers off like what MS tried to pull off on their reveal.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tgob89

@boycie said:
@tgob89 said:

lol, When I made my thread that all the AAA games MS show off at E3 this year are were going to abandon the original Xbox one hardware people though I was fanboying...

well, Looks like lems are in for another $500+ punch to the wallet in less than 3 years time.

It's no worse than the punch in the wallet PS Pro purchasers will get when the PS5 launches.

Difference is BC is all but guaranteed on futures xbox consoles where as we are not sure yet whether Sony will offer PS4 BC on PS5.

lol, Sony didn't promote the Pro as some sort of revolution like MS did to you silly lems.

We always knew it was only for slightly crisper exclusive games and minor improvements over OG multiplats with the Pro. That's why most current PS4 owners didn't feel the need to upgrade.

You gullible lemmings, on the other hand, actually thought you were getting something drastically above and beyond what the Pro offered...and now you have to sit and play Sea of Thieves in 4k while Pro owners get to enjoy the best version of what's currently called the best looking game of the generation...God of War.

Also, it's only a wet dream of you xbox fanboys that PS5 won't be BC with PS4. You guys always desperately wish for negative things with Sony and always look silly in the end.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Calvincfb

@tgob89: true, the pro was mostly to cater to people that didn't have a ps4 or PC gamers that wanted Exclusives at a higher performance

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts

@tgob89: Exactly. The ps4 pro was only just a upgrade. Microsoft and Lemmings would lead you to believe the X was the second coming of jesus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@tgob89: none of that drivel makes it any less of a punch in the wallet when the PS5 rolls around.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 airraidjet
@ten_pints said:

Sounds to me they have not even started designing it yet, gonna be at least 3 years from a final retail console then.

Not true.

They started developing the next Xbox last year, no later than last summer, if not earlier.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44147 Posts

Meanwhile Phony hard at work on their PS Jive....

Lololol :P

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

@calvincfb: Good one. A software company focused on hardware only.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@airraidjet said:
@ten_pints said:

Not true.

They started developing the next Xbox last year, no later than last summer, if not earlier.

X2 fall 2019, i'm calling it.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 airraidjet
@Random_Matt said:
@airraidjet said:
@ten_pints said:

Not true.

X2 fall 2019, i'm calling it.

LOL.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@airraidjet said:

This, they always compete trying to get majority 4k @60fps anyone?

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 airraidjet
@npiet1 said:
@airraidjet said:

This, they always compete trying to get majority 4k @60fps anyone?

I think the next Xbox, and PS5, will be more capable of 4K at 60fps in general, but it will always be up to each developer, on a game-by-game basis, depending on the goals set for any given game, if they target 60fps or if they target 30fps. Some devs will always push for the most advanced graphics per frame, while others will go for the better framerate.

Every generation has been like this, starting with the PS1.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@airraidjet said:
@ten_pints said:

Not true.

LIAR!!!!! The Cow fanboys have told me their will not be another Xbox. Why must you lie! Fanboys know EVERYTHING!

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

If only hbm3 could be affordable. Gddr6 will do just fine for next gen Consoles

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Why waste their time? Just attach an original XBOX to the top of an XBOX 360, the future of Xbox is playing XBOX and 360 games anyway.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa: LOL

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11154 Posts

Cool. This is great news for Microsoft fans who like to buy more hardware than games from Xbox.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Cool. This is great news for Microsoft fans who like to buy more hardware than games from Xbox.

They don't mind spending the money lol seems like a lot of them in system war already spend $1000 plus on this Gen in Hardwares already (Launch Xbx, Elite Controllers and Xbx). Whats few hundred more in couple of years?? lol

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tgob89

@boycie said:

@tgob89: none of that drivel makes it any less of a punch in the wallet when the PS5 rolls around.

lol, you're right.

You xbox fanboys were bragging about how hardly anyone was upgrading to the PRO and how low the sales were and damn near every one of you xbox fanboys went out and dropped that $500 yelling "cows can't talk about graphics anymore" and expected the X to be rewarded with title of GFX King but ended up with THIS...

Oh man, talk about expectations missing the mark.

And now M$ are talking about the nextbox they're dropping soon to compete with PS5 2019-2020 leaving X owners to rot as an unsupported, no impact having potato for $500! Money well sent eh!?

The people who DID go out and get a Pro were only expecting to get the best versions of all current gen PS4 exclusives, they're not really feeling a punch of anything because their expectations were more than satisfied...

Is God of War the best-looking game of all time?

...is God of War the best-looking game of all time? We’ve had a lot of impressively rendered games on the PS4 recently, from Horizon: Zero Dawn to Uncharted 4, there’s no doubt that the PS4 Pro can churn out some stunning visuals. So how does God of War compare to these titles, and how does that same graphical fidelity stack up against its brothers on the PC which has long been lauded as the place to be for gaming graphics across the board?

The question we’re examining here today is whether graphically God of War went the extra mile compared to every other game in the history of the genre to create something unique....

Right now, God of War is king of the mountain.

https://www.gamecrate.com/god-of-war-best-looking-game-all-time/18947

...by getting the best version of the best looking game ever made.

Charge it to the "game" broski, and just "pony" up another $500-$600 to MS again in the next 2 years if you want to play the games they show at this years E3.

Duces ;)

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

At least they're still trying...bless their heart.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

Well companies are always working on their next system so this doesn’t surprise me. Anyway I am very much looking forward to seeing what Microsoft’s next console will be like.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@calvincfb said:

So they can achieve BC in 8K?

@Random_Matt said:

PS5 should go HBM.

I highly doubt that.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11154 Posts
@ni6htmare01 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

They don't mind spending the money lol seems like a lot of them in system war already spend $1000 plus on this Gen in Hardwares already (Launch Xbx, Elite Controllers and Xbx). Whats few hundred more in couple of years?? lol

I like how Xbox gamers hate PC because they say it's too expensive, yet will buy like 4 Xbox Ones this gen. LOL!

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I like how Xbox gamers hate PC because they say it's too expensive, yet will buy like 4 Xbox Ones this gen. LOL!

I'm not sure about 4 LOL but I'm not wrong that most Lems here spends over $1000 for hardware along.. They better off just get a PC and hook it to TV with more games.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 airraidjet

@Random_Matt said:

PS5 should go HBM.

I do wish that PS5 would use HBM3.

The next Xbox will either ship right alongside PS5, if not 12 months later, but not earlier.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@airraidjet said:

And so it begins.

https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/419789/Sr-Electrical-Engineer-DRAM-Memory-Lead-XBOX

Our teams ship tens of millions of hardware products every year including the Xbox One X, Xbox One S, a full accessories lineup, and more. Microsoft is the destination for the brightest minds in gaming device design. Come be part of what’s next.
We are seeking a qualified candidate for a Senior Engineer to lead the DRAM solutions for the Xbox console hardware development team. DRAM solutions include DDR3, GDDR5, GDDR6 and future DRAM technologies. The successful candidate will be the primary technical focal point for existing and leading-edge memory technologies on currently shipping and future Xbox design projects.

The focus will be integrating the right memory solutions into the console based on a variety of constraints such as power, cost, reliability, signal integrity and performance requirements.

Higher memory solutions will be important to deliver better performance over Xbox One X's 384 bit GDDR5-6800 (326 GB/s) solution. Notice there's no mention for NVIDIA exclusive Micron GDDR5X.

Lowest GDDR6 rating is 14000. (384 bit bus x 14000)/8 = 672 GB/s or (256 bit bus x 14000)/8 = 448 GB/s

Highest GDDR5 rating is 9000. (384 bit bus x 9000)/8 = 432 GB/s

Vega 56 has 410 GB/s (two chip HBM v2 at 1600 Mhz)

Vega 64 has 484 GB/s (two chip HBM v2 at 1890 Mhz)

Candidates for "future memory" is HBM v3

Ryzen CPU has higher memory consumption due to quad 128bit SIMD units per CPU core when compared to Jaguar CPU.

If MS doubles X1X's 6 TFLOPS GPU into 12 TFLOPS GPU(with 7 nm process tech), it would need about 652 GB/s. Xbox One X's 384 bit bus is a high end PC GPU bus PCB. This is assuming AMD hasn't improved delta color compression (DCC) from Polaris.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#36 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9732 Posts

I'll leave this here.

https://wccftech.com/amds-secret-radeon-project-zen-to-boost-gpu-clocks-efficiency-in-2018-navi-in-2019-beyond/

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 airraidjet
@GameboyTroy said:

I'll leave this here.

https://wccftech.com/amds-secret-radeon-project-zen-to-boost-gpu-clocks-efficiency-in-2018-navi-in-2019-beyond/

I think there's a decent chance Microsoft will skip Navi and go with the Next Gen and so-called "Zen" of GPUs, which will be a new, post-GCN architecture.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fairmonkey  Online
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

But pc gaming is too expensive yet i can justify buying an entirely new console every year or two that is slightly better than the last with a dwindling list of console exclusives. Lem logic

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Yes, surely there is specialized training, and possibly certifications for DDR6. Since it’s so drastically different than any ram technology seen before.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

@Fairmonkey said:

But pc gaming is too expensive yet i can justify buying an entirely new console every year or two that is slightly better than the last with a dwindling list of console exclusives. Lem logic

I skipped on the regular Xbox One, I was underwhelmed by it’s specs and told myself since 2012 I wouldn’t buy one until it was under $200. By the time it was $200, X1X was released so I just got that for $380 instead.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

@airraidjet said:
@GameboyTroy said:

I'll leave this here.

I think there's a decent chance Microsoft will skip Navi and go with the Next Gen and so-called "Zen" of GPUs, which will be a new, post-GCN architecture.

Posted 4 hours ago and PC fanboys aren’t crucifying you?!

Let me agree with you to get this party started.

I too think they’ll skip Navi, but even if they don’t it’ll be a 12.5+ TF GPU.

If they skip Navi, 14TF+

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ronvalencia

@Fairmonkey said:

It's not every year or every two years.

For Xbox One,

XBO, Q4 2013 to Q4 2017 = 4 years (with AMD's second gen 28 nm products)

X1X, Q4 2017 to Q4 2020 = 3 years (with AMD's second gen 14/16 nm products). X1X has 4.5X TFLOPS and up to ~5.3X results over XBO.

For PS4,

PS4, Q4 2013 to Q4 2016 = 3 years (with AMD's second gen 28 nm products)

PS4 Pro, Q4 2016 to Q4 2020 = 4 years (with AMD's 1st gen 14/16 nm products)

AMD's 7 nm first gen would be sometime in 2019.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@ronvalencia: Welcome back! This place has been kinda dull without you and el tormented :)

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@geraltofwar: sony has already said there not doing bc because they feel gamers dont really want to play old games

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#46 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9732 Posts
@ronvalencia said:
@Fairmonkey said:

For Xbox One,

X1X, Q4 2017 to Q4 2020 = 3 years (with AMD's second gen 14/16 nm products). X1X has 4.5X TFLOPS and up to ~5.3X results over XBO.

For PS4,

Here is AMD's roadmap.

https://wccftech.com/radeon-rx-500x-series-spotted-on-amds-website/

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ronvalencia

@GameboyTroy said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Fairmonkey said:

For Xbox One,

For PS4,

Here is AMD's roadmap.

https://wccftech.com/radeon-rx-500x-series-spotted-on-amds-website/

Vega 14nm+... refer to Vega 64 Nano.

AMD Radeon RX Vega Nano draws power from 1x 8-pin power connectors, with power draw rated at 175 W maximum.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2997/radeon-rx-vega-nano

RX-500X... its just OEM renames. My laptop's 7870M GPU was renamed into 8870M then to R9-M270X then to R9-M370. That's four fuking renames.

PS; GeForce GT 820M is still Fermi... from 400 series GeForce Fermi.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ronvalencia

@geraltofwar said:

@npiet1: Do you have a link to that..?

Because this seems like alot of trouble for not being interested in BC.

https://gametransfers.com/sony-registers-backward-compatibility/

Timings management is one the areas for game console style BC.

PC's Direct3D's resource tracking has timing factor designed into it i.e. it has to scale from laptop to powerful gaming rigs.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ronvalencia

@npiet1 said:

@geraltofwar: sony has already said there not doing bc because they feel gamers dont really want to play old games

PS4 has PS2 BC... you just pay for it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/01/unlocked-ps4-consoles-can-now-run-copies-of-ps2-games/

Hacked PS4 firmware enabled PS4 to run PS2 BC without paying for it!

PS4 has PS2 system-level emulation that powers legitimate PlayStation Classics downloads. Sony wants cows to pay for the same games multiple times.