Microsoft interested in buying EA

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCNN2339589020090923?rpc=44

doesn't make much sense though seeing how alot of jobs will be lost (1000s upon 1000s).

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

and theres the massive chance it would literally cripple the competition and would draw a lot of flak for MS displaying their Monopolistic tendencies.As this totally screws the other 2 over to such a massive degree.

IF this did happen i would suspect a crash like 83 would be round the corner.With a lot of crap trying to fill the void left by EA's games.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nhh18

and theres the massive chance it would literally cripple the competition and would draw a lot of flak for MS displaying their Monopolistic tendencies.As this totally screws the other 2 over to such a massive degree.

IF this did happen i would suspect a crash like 83 would be round the corner.With a lot of crap trying to fill the void left by EA's games.

razgriz_101

It is idiotic tbh. The only asset that EA has is sports and they are basically destroying those ips completely. Most of the talent will go away resulting in another juggurnaut sports franchise that will compete with Madden, etc. It is basically killing off sports franchises on wii, psp, ds, and ps3 which doesn't make any sense. Activision or a new game publisher will just take ea sports titles. Take 2, or Ubisoft would be much better invstment tbh. Disney would actuallly probably will be the ones making a sports franchise, due to espn.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Yeah sounds like microsoft alright. If you cant beat em buy em. Regardless of wether the info is true, this is sadly not out of character.

I've said once I'll say it again M$ is capitalism gone wrong!

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts

unsubstantitated....it's a trader trying to give a boost to day trading on EA stocks....this will never happen.

ZuneHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ZuneHD
Member since 2009 • 491 Posts

they are better off buying the IPs and getting 3rd parties to make the games.

buying EA will lead to a lot of $$ issues.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

If this is true, it would go a long way towards explaining why Microsoft either shuttered or sold many of its first-party studios over the past couple years. It also makes sense for both EA and Microsoft since they are both software companies that can leverage each other's strengths.

EA is a prime target for a big software/media company to acquisition, since its main competition--Activision Blizzard--is already under the Vivendi umbrella.

Still, it would shake the gaming world to its core, and I'm not sure I for one would like it to happen.

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

all EA games xbox/pc exclusive

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49591 Posts
If this happened -- my god, Microsoft would crush the competition. :o
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nhh18

johnnyblazed88

No. EA original IPs are all failures except for Valve games. I mean dead space barely made money. Same with Battlefield bad company. The only games that are making money for ea atm are fifa, madden, and sims

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
That probably isn't going to happen. If it was it would be the biggest aquisition (too lazy to spell right) in the history. Giving Microsoft EXCLUSIVE rights to all of their IPs would be overkill. However, I don't think it would profit EA that much going exclusive and Sony/Nintendo would do anything to prevent that from happening. Altough it would looks like it were to be a perfect match. EA - Microsoft.
ZuneHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZuneHD

well thats good news for MS. need for speed, army of two, mass effect, every EA sports game............wow.

all 360 exclusive or if MS is generous..........360/Games for Windows Live games.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
Can't say I'd want that to happen. This certainly sounds like it would cripple the industry to some degree.
sexy_robot_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sexy_robot_man
Member since 2009 • 1002 Posts

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCNN2339589020090923?rpc=44

doesn't make much sense though seeing how alot of jobs will be lost (1000s upon 1000s).

nhh18

that would be a /game over.

sexy_robot_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sexy_robot_man

[QUOTE="johnnyblazed88"]

nhh18

No. EA original IPs are all failures except for Valve games. I mean dead space barely made money. Same with Battlefield bad company. The only games that are making money for ea atm are fifa, madden, and sims

:lol: good so you would not mind? 8)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

unsubstantitated....it's a trader trying to give a boost to day trading on EA stocks....this will never happen.

KingTuttle
Agreed. This boosted some traders' clients' holdings when he needed to show he could make a profit for the investor. I don't buy it.
sexy_robot_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sexy_robot_man

If this happened -- my god, Microsoft would crush the competition. :oStevo_the_gamer
There would be no competition to crush after that. I guess SONY could survive on 5 year development cycles for exclusives that barley sell a million.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

Can someone explain to me how this would ruin the industry?

ZuneHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZuneHD

[QUOTE="KingTuttle"]

cainetao11

Agreed. This boosted some traders' clients' holdings when he needed to show he could make a profit for the investor. I don't buy it.

its probably not gonna happen, but with mass effect 2 still 360/pc even though ea is a hardcore multiplat company, one can hope.

sexy_robot_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sexy_robot_man

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

nhh18

It is idiotic tbh. The only asset that EA has is sports and they are basically destroying those ips completely. Most of the talent will go away resulting in another juggurnaut sports franchise that will compete with Madden, etc. It is basically killing off sports franchises on wii, psp, ds, and ps3 which doesn't make any sense. Activision or a new game publisher will just take ea sports titles. Take 2, or Ubisoft would be much better invstment tbh. Disney would actuallly probably will be the ones making a sports franchise, due to espn.

EA holds NFL license their will still only be one footbnall game.

KaoSXFACTOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KaoSXFACTOR
Member since 2009 • 1059 Posts

Microsoft/EA = Game over Sony.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

KingTuttle

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if this is true: it's the perfect time for any company to make an aquisition (low interest rates+an improving economy), and with a current market cap of ~$6.5 billion EA would be a relative bargain.

The key word though is "interested" -- there are a hell of a lot of steps between being "interested" and spending god knows how many billions of dollars on aquiring EA.

Generalmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Generalmojo
Member since 2008 • 3670 Posts

KaoSXFACTOR

Sony also has plans mate......Sony/Sega + ps2 games?

either way ill say EA joining MS would be one crushing blow indeed, and Sony will need to do much more then get Sega on their side.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

spinecaton
It's Microsoft.
Generalmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Generalmojo

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

siLVURcross

It's Microsoft.

The biggest LOL of the day :lol::lol::lol:

ZuneHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ZuneHD

[QUOTE="KaoSXFACTOR"]

Generalmojo

either way ill say EA joining MS would be one crushing blow indeed, and Sony will need to do much more then get Sega on their side.

ps2 is sony and sony isnt buying sega. are they?

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 razgriz_101

spinecaton

In the sense it could be foreseen that in the wake of the gap of EA games a lot of companies especially ones producing games on Wii will try and put out more games in the sense they will feel like theres less competition thus a lot of shoddy and rushed titles would most likely rush to fill the void eventually it will build up cause another crash which for the hope of god doesnt happpen.

Also as said MS will just get hit by the EU and various other organisations as this move may be seen as Monopolistic due to the the various licenses involved and the fact they produce games for every mainstream platform on the shelves at the moment thus with them going purely 360/PC exclusive the various other platforms are left with gaping black holes causing which other devs cannot fill (sports games).

MizFitAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MizFitAwesome
Member since 2009 • 2745 Posts

Here we go again with more double standards, Sony buys out devs to keep them from making games on other systems and it's OK, MS is rumored to be buying out EA and its ruining the industry. I actually hope it happens , just to watch the Cow DC....

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spinecaton

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="spinecaton"]

Generalmojo

It's Microsoft.

The biggest LOL of the day :lol::lol::lol:

MS does ruin everything they touch, so I guess it would only take time before we would have a crash like 83 which is in no way shape or form similiar to this :P As soon as MS buys EA hundreds if not THOUSANDS of games would instantly spring to life instantly killing the industry.

MizFitAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MizFitAwesome
Member since 2009 • 2745 Posts

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

razgriz_101

In the sense it could be foreseen that in the wake of the gap of EA games a lot of companies especially ones producing games on Wii will try and put out more games in the sense they will feel like theres less competition thus a lot of shoddy and rushed titles would most likely rush to fill the void eventually it will build up cause another crash which for the hope of god doesnt happpen.

Also as said MS will just get hit by the EU and various other organisations as this move may be seen as Monopolistic due to the the various licenses involved and the fact they produce games for every mainstream platform on the shelves at the moment thus with them going purely 360/PC exclusive the various other platforms are left with gaping black holes causing which other devs cannot fill (sports games).

A cow creating a slippery slope, how ironic...

jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts

spinecaton
Microsoft would have a monopoly on the industry. This would basically kill Sony. Nintendo would easily still be around as they don't depend on EA in the slightest bit. With M$ with so many first party games behind their belt alot of developers would develop exclusively for the console because of the huge sales it would get. Or it could backfire and alot of developers put games on Sony's console because of how strong EA's titles are. But EA has some massive games, Fifa, Madden and Tiger Woods, three of the biggest selling games released ever year.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 razgriz_101

Here we go again with more double standards, Sony buys out devs to keep them from making games on other systems and it's OK, MS is rumored to be buying out EA and its ruining the industry. I actually hope it happens , just to watch the Cow DC....

MizFitAwesome

Nah theres a diffrence, ,mostly Sony has bought out smaller Independat studios, theres a great diffrence between EA and the likes of Naughty dog.Mainly the size and the fact this would have a MASSIVE effect on the industry as a whole.You clearly didnt think your statement through.Fair play to MS buying the likes of Rare those are small studios who will deliver when funded.But EA has so many studios its silly to compare a Developement house to that of a Publisher theres a big diffrence.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

Theres always a bigger fish. The true question is who/what can buy MS?

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

spinecaton

Only companies that have the consumer's best interests in mind like Sony and Nintendo are allowed to purchase developers. Duh.

Seriously though, it would probably be a good thing on the whole (well, so long as you own an Xbox and/or PC). EA can continue to make "hardcore" IPs like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge without worrying about profitability, MS boosts its first-party portfolio (especially on the PC side), and there's no way in hell a MS-owned EA would be allowed to keep those exclusive NFL and FIFA licenses.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

MS could buy EA twice over, it's always been weird that MS dosen't have alot of first party studios. But this will never happen

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="MizFitAwesome"]

razgriz_101

Nah theres a diffrence, ,mostly Sony has bought out smaller Independat studios, theres a great diffrence between EA and the likes of Naughty dog.Mainly the size and the fact this would have a MASSIVE effect on the industry as a whole.You clearly didnt think your statement through.Fair play to MS buying the likes of Rare those are small studios who will deliver when funded.But EA has so many studios its silly to compare a Developement house to that of a Publisher theres a big diffrence.

He wont get it. His fanboyism is too strong.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UnnDunn

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense.

Microsoft has gutted its first-party operation over the past couple years. The only real explanation for that is if they were saving cash to make a run at a big publisher such as EA. Sony is making its comeback run, and it's clear to everyone except the most blinkered lemming fanboy that MS is looking relatively weak right now; it needs to build its first-party back up. What better way than to buy EA?

For its part, EA is looking pretty naked out there on its own, where its main competitor--Activision Blizzard--has a huge corporate parent in Vivendi to fall back on. As much as we hate Activision Blizzard right now, the fact is they control perhaps the most lucrative property in all of gaming--World of Warcraft--and they've got several other blockbuster franchises they can milk for eternity. In comparison, EA's franchises are looking rather weak, and the only real blockbusters it has are Madden and FIFA, both of which have comparatively limited appeal. Not to say EA isn't a big gorilla, because it is. But Activision Blizzard is bigger, AND it's got a daddy.

I'm not saying I believe MS will buy EA or that I want it to happen (because I don't.) I'm just saying it makes sense for both companies.

jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts

MizFitAwesome
It doesn't matter if It's Sony, Microsoft or NIntendo. EA is too big and important to be under one companies belt.
Shattered007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shattered007
Member since 2007 • 3139 Posts

[QUOTE="KaoSXFACTOR"]

Generalmojo

I don't think peopleunderstand that EA is the "THE" biggest publisher in of games in the world. They also have tons and tons of IPs to certain games that would crush any other platform out there. I favor Microsoft but I don't like this. This would no doubt be the end of Sony and Nintendo. It's like Xbox 3DO!!!

cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cowgriller
Member since 2008 • 3153 Posts

if that happens, sony just lost half of their third party support.

Generalmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Generalmojo

U know what, EA would never join Microsoft, their better off making their own console lol!

ZuneHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZuneHD

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

jakarai

Microsoft would have a monopoly on the industry. .

like sony had with ps1 and ps2?

sony fanboys didnt mind a monopoly those times now did they? unlike those gens, Nintendo is self sufficient. It will be a 2 console race, if this comes to pass

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Yeah sounds like microsoft alright. If you cant beat em buy em. Regardless of wether the info is true, this is sadly not out of character.

I've said once I'll say it again M$ is capitalism gone wrong!

Zaibach
lol actually thats exactly what capitalism is like....thats how it works...
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#44 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

U know what, EA would never join Microsoft, their better off making their own console lol!

Generalmojo
It probably wouldn't do very well.
UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 UnnDunn
[QUOTE="Shattered007"][QUOTE="Generalmojo"]

[QUOTE="KaoSXFACTOR"]

Okay, I can see that you guys don't understand that EA is the "THE" biggest publisher in of games in the world. They also have tons and tons of IPs to certain games that would crush any other platform out there. I favor Microsoft but I don't like this. This would no doubt be the end of Sony and Nintendo. It's like Xbox 3DO!!!

EA is not the biggest anymore. Activision Blizzard is.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 spinecaton

[QUOTE="Generalmojo"]

[QUOTE="KaoSXFACTOR"]

Shattered007

Okay, I can see that you guys don't understand that EA is the "THE" biggest publisher in of games in the world. They also have tons and tons of IPs to certain games that would crush any other platform out there. I favor Microsoft but I don't like this. This would no doubt be the end of Sony and Nintendo. It's like Xbox 3DO!!!

Biggest publisher belongs to Activision.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="jakarai"][QUOTE="spinecaton"]

ZuneHD

Microsoft would have a monopoly on the industry. .

sony fanboys didnt mind a monopoly those times now did they? unlike those gens, Nintendo is self sufficient. It will be a 2 console race, if this comes to pass

I didint know sony bought out EA during the PS1/ps2 era:|

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

What would be even funnier is is they bought EA and continued EA's release of ps3 titles. lol

ZuneHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ZuneHD

[QUOTE="ZuneHD"]

[QUOTE="jakarai"] Microsoft would have a monopoly on the industry. .finalfantasy94

I didint know sony bought out EA during the PS1/ps2 era:|

but Sony had 70% marketshare in both gens. Had exclusive 3rd party games like crazy, leaving the rest with table scraps.

Generalmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Generalmojo

[QUOTE="Generalmojo"]

siLVURcross

It probably wouldn't do very well.

mmm yeh well either way i surely know EA would never join MS.