Microsoft has now ABANDONED their user base 2 generations in a row

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drakekratos
Member since 2011 • 2311 Posts

With the original XBox, Microsoft abandoned their user base after only having their console on the market for 4 years. They scrambled to get their next console out before PS3, and ditched their user base on the Xbox.

With Xbox 360, Microsoft released the console knowing it had the RROD. They ended up releasing a product with the highest failure rate in the history of mankind. But atleast they came out swinging, securing 3rd party exclusives like BioShock, Saints Row, Dead Rising. They brought some fresh new IPs to the table like Gears of War and Crackdown. Then they abandoned their user base and went the Kinect route, trying to appeal to soccer moms and casuals. They havent had a fresh new IP in yearsssssss, and havent been releasing many exclusives at all in the past 4-5 years. 

What makes you think you can trust them next-gen? 

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

This is true.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
what a coincidence..they abandoned their user base 4 years after the 360 released as well
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

They did? So my Gear of War Judgement pre-order for the 18th is fake?

wazzap76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wazzap76
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

Well considering the fact the had a fee to play half my game when the 360 released I didn't buy one. And I wont buy a new xbox if it follows suit. I don't trust them to pull through with a machine catered to the gaming crowed. It will be heavily situated in social media, apps that provide content at a marked up price, and **** like kinect built in(I don't like that sony is doing this either).  All of that speculation is only baked up by the last two years of direction they have taken. Expext a machine more made to sell you things then actually about playing things.

wazzap76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wazzap76
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

Well considering the fact the had a fee to play half my game when the 360 released I didn't buy one. And I wont buy a new xbox if it follows suit. I don't trust them to pull through with a machine catered to the gaming crowed. It will be heavily situated in social media, apps that provide content at a marked up price, and **** like kinect built in(I don't like that sony is doing this either).  All of that speculation is only baked up by the last two years of direction they have taken. Expext a machine more made to sell you things then actually about playing things.

wazzap76

Tried to find an edit button to make baked into backed. But have no clue where it is.

Karpetburnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Karpetburnz
Member since 2013 • 532 Posts

seeing as the 360 is almost dead now with only 1 game for this entire year (LOL), I can see Microsoft abandoning the 360 completely when the nextbox arrives just like they did with the first Xbox.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

timbers_WSU
Yep. Mines is too apperantly. And since the TC is a psychic who knows MS has nothing planned for the 720, I should just pre-order a PS4 now. I've only been playing Kinect games the last 2 years even though I swear I was playing some core games I like too. :) MS has done very well by my judgement considering my opinion of their games, services and even Kinect during the 360's life cycle. So yeah, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until then 720 is officially announced and then gauge what I think afterwards. As for the TC, if you were a fair gamer and not a fanboy you might as well :) Food for thought
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

The problem with Microsoft is they want to please everyone (Hardcore and Casual). It is extremely difficult to do that successfully without alienating one side or the other. Stick to one side, for example, Sony. Sony has stated over and over again that the PS4 is for gamers, which I think is the right move to make.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

The first Xbox was costing MS too much to make since they made deals to Nvidia and they had to stop the losses. That is why they abandoned the first Xbox. This gen they have made so much from the 360 they are going to support it for many years after they launch the Next Xbox like Sony is going to do with the PS3. This fall the 360 should be over 80 million or more. 

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dream431ca

The first Xbox was costing MS too much to make since they made deals to Nvidia and they had to stop the losses. That is why they abandoned the first Xbox. This gen they have made so much from the 360 they are going to support it for many years after they launch the Next Xbox like Sony is going to do with the PS3. This fall the 360 should be over 80 million or more. 

xhawk27

It won't be over 80 million if online DRM and no used games are confirmed. Imagine Sim City, but a whole console.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shawn30

The problem with Microsoft is they want to please everyone (Hardcore and Casual). It is extremely difficult to do that successfully without alienating one side or the other. Stick to one side, for example, Sony. Sony has stated over and over again that the PS4 is for gamers, which I think is the right move to make.

dream431ca
Anyone or thing can do more than one thing at one time. Right now my 360 seems to play casual and core games very well. 720 will too. I just don't understand how its hard to make core games and casual. People get to caught up in titles. Video games are my hobby. I'm a gamer. But I don't eat the same food everyday and I don't want to play the same type of game everyday. Thankgoodness MS gets that. think its the right move to make.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xhawk27

seeing as the 360 is almost dead now with only 1 game for this entire year (LOL), I can see Microsoft abandoning the 360 completely when the nextbox arrives just like they did with the first Xbox.

Karpetburnz

They have more than one game. XBLA games count if PSN games do. Also MS would be fools not to contiune to support over 80 million console gamers. 

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xhawk27

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

dream431ca

It won't be over 80 million if online DRM and no used games are confirmed. Imagine Sim City, but a whole console.

I am talking about the 360. The rumors about the 720 are just that rumors. 

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

shawn30

Anyone or thing can do more than one thing at one time. Right now my 360 seems to play casual and core games very well. 720 will too. I just don't understand how its hard to make core games and casual. People get to caught up in titles. Video games are my hobby. I'm a gamer. But I don't eat the same food everyday and I don't want to play the same type of game everyday. Thankgoodness MS gets that. think its the right move to make.

It's hard because of splitting the user base, which is not a smart thing to do with any product. But it looks like the 720 is much more Kinect based and that fact alone is going to get hardcore gamers upset. 

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

xhawk27

I am talking about the 360. The rumors about the 720 are just that rumors. 

Oh jeez....my bad. Serves me right typing when I'm so tired :P

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Gears Judgement comes out next week. 

/thread.  

Karpetburnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Karpetburnz

[QUOTE="Karpetburnz"]

xhawk27

They have more than one game. XBLA games count if PSN games do. Also MS would be fools not to contiune to support over 80 million console gamers.

You hear that guys? The Xbox 360 has Arcade games...........

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Yea, 1 game for the whole year and the HYPE for it is what A? :(
shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shawn30

[QUOTE="shawn30"][QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

It's hard because of splitting the user base, which is not a smart thing to do with any product. But it looks like the 720 is much more Kinect based and that fact alone is going to get hardcore gamers upset. 

Again, how do you know this when nothing has been officially announced? And there's really only one fanbase, gamers. My fave games this past gen were Mass Effect trilogy, Elder Scrolls,. Gears, Forza and Dead Space. But I don't mind Plants vs Zombies and my kid loves the Kinect. There are million sof people like me who just love games and don't mind something different every now and then. MS gets that right.
Karpetburnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Karpetburnz

Gears Judgement comes out next week.

/thread.

StrongDeadlift

Ok then, the Xbox 360 is officialy dead as of next week.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="shawn30"] Anyone or thing can do more than one thing at one time. Right now my 360 seems to play casual and core games very well. 720 will too. I just don't understand how its hard to make core games and casual. People get to caught up in titles. Video games are my hobby. I'm a gamer. But I don't eat the same food everyday and I don't want to play the same type of game everyday. Thankgoodness MS gets that. think its the right move to make.shawn30

Again, how do you know this when nothing has been officially announced? And there's really only one fanbase, gamers. My fave games this past gen were Mass Effect trilogy, Elder Scrolls,. Gears, Forza and Dead Space. But I don't mind Plants vs Zombies and my kid loves the Kinect. There are million sof people like me who just love games and don't mind something different every now and then. MS gets that right.

This time around, I think Microsoft wants to get into the family room a lot more. A bunch of talk of the 720 running TV service (much like the Wii U does), Kinect TV which could be a possibility, and with the console's focus being on Kinect, Microsoft wants to go after the Wii audience. If you like that sort of stuff, great. Not saying your bad cause you like it. But what I am kinda saying is, if you want more of hardcore gaming experience, it looks like the PS4 is the way to go, but I'm also anxiously waiting for E3.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xhawk27

Yea, 1 game for the whole year and the HYPE for it is what A? :( Heil68

It could get a higher score like AA. :(

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Yea, 1 game for the whole year and the HYPE for it is what A? :( xhawk27

It could get a higher score like AA. :(

It could certainly score better than this, lol 

35i50gi.png

:(

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shawn30

[QUOTE="shawn30"][QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

This time around, I think Microsoft wants to get into the family room a lot more. A bunch of talk of the 720 running TV service (much like the Wii U does), Kinect TV which could be a possibility, and with the console's focus being on Kinect, Microsoft wants to go after the Wii audience. If you like that sort of stuff, great. Not saying your bad cause you like it. But what I am kinda saying is, if you want more of hardcore gaming experience, it looks like the PS4 is the way to go, but I'm also anxiously waiting for E3.

Agreed on where you think MS ias looking into about the family stuff. But again, MS just isnt stupid and when it comes to the needs of core gamers. It hasn't turned its video games model around by being dumb. There will be a huge number of core games, with exclusives, tiemd exclusives and multiplats on the 720. I know this because its just common sense. Maybe you'll like Sony's efforts better and thats your or anyones right. But this view that MS is solely focused on one genre while abandoning the group that really gave them their footing this past gen just doesnt work. Yes, we'll see more Gears, Halo, Forza, Fable. Black Tuks has a new exclusive coming. And MS is known for paying for third party exclusives as well. I can't be certain of anything, but I can gauge past trends, current events and my own opinion as a MS gamer. From what I see I think the 720 has great potential. We shall see. The PS4 does as well, but not as much IMO. shrugs.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="shawn30"] Again, how do you know this when nothing has been officially announced? And there's really only one fanbase, gamers. My fave games this past gen were Mass Effect trilogy, Elder Scrolls,. Gears, Forza and Dead Space. But I don't mind Plants vs Zombies and my kid loves the Kinect. There are million sof people like me who just love games and don't mind something different every now and then. MS gets that right. shawn30

Agreed on where you think MS ias looking into about the family stuff. But again, MS just isnt stupid and when it comes to the needs of core gamers. It hasn't turned its video games model around by being dumb. There will be a huge number of core games, with exclusives, tiemd exclusives and multiplats on the 720. I know this because its just common sense. Maybe you'll like Sony's efforts better and thats your or anyones right. But this view that MS is solely focused on one genre while abandoning the group that really gave them their footing this past gen just doesnt work. Yes, we'll see more Gears, Halo, Forza, Fable. Black Tuks has a new exclusive coming. And MS is known for paying for third party exclusives as well. I can't be certain of anything, but I can gauge past trends, current events and my own opinion as a MS gamer. From what I see I think the 720 has great potential. We shall see. The PS4 does as well, but not as much IMO. shrugs.

Agreed. I think it just comes down to DRM, always online and used games. E3 can't come soon enough.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts
Yea, 1 game for the whole year and the HYPE for it is what A? :( Heil68
Let's be honest.....They could have the largest number of exclusive AAA games released this year and you would not give them any credit for it. So your opinion on this means _____.
Avatar image for THE_Rob_Himself
THE_Rob_Himself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 THE_Rob_Himself
Member since 2007 • 942 Posts

another meaningless thread by drakekratos. 

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

This is true.

Rage010101

Indeed.

drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 drakekratos
Member since 2011 • 2311 Posts

THE_Rob_Himself
actually its quite meaningful. Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behavior. Microsoft will likely abandon their next console after a few years too
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

timbers_WSU
I see disc locked DLC in your future again. Maybe more 45.00 weapon skins.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="shawn30"] Again, how do you know this when nothing has been officially announced? And there's really only one fanbase, gamers. My fave games this past gen were Mass Effect trilogy, Elder Scrolls,. Gears, Forza and Dead Space. But I don't mind Plants vs Zombies and my kid loves the Kinect. There are million sof people like me who just love games and don't mind something different every now and then. MS gets that right. shawn30

So what were these 3rd party exclusives we saw this gen and which ones did we see after 2009 or 2010? Just wondering if I missed something.
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Lems really do have battered women syndrome.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

lol more systems sold, more games released, more exclusives, higher scoring games.

my favorite? the fact sony admitted every thing they did with the ps3 was wrong by announcing the ps4 4 months before E3.

Karpetburnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Karpetburnz

lol more systems sold, more games released, more exclusives, higher scoring games.

my favorite? the fact sony admitted every thing they did with the ps3 was wrong by announcing the ps4 4 months before E3.

WilliamRLBaker

PS3 overtook Xbox 360, and how can the Xbox have better scoring exclusives if it doesnt have any games to begin with?

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

That's a good point. I have no doubt the NextBox will look at least somewhat promising in the beginning, but the question of support throughout its whole lifetime remains open ...

Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
[QUOTE="THE_Rob_Himself"]

drakekratos
actually its quite meaningful. Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behavior. Microsoft will likely abandon their next console after a few years too

Seeing as Gears is outh next week and promising XBLA games on the horizon, but no mention of how quickly Wii was dropped or Gamecube. Only reason Sony has a few games this year Is because all they had last year was nothing and terrible Nintendo rip offs.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18825 Posts
lol@ "The Kinect Route"
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

timbers_WSU
Oh man! You must really love getting your one rehash a year! Dat M$ quality.
Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts

dream431ca
You seem to be forgetting the PS1 and PS2 had more casual crap than the 360. The PS3 is TRYING to cater to the casual crowd and failing. Microsoft didn't abandon anybody. They have released more high scoring games than Sony in the last year. You guys are spreading lies to make yourself feel better about the PS3 losing.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

Miketheman83
You seem to be forgetting the PS1 and PS2 had more casual crap than the 360. The PS3 is TRYING to cater to the casual crowd and failing. Microsoft didn't abandon anybody. They have released more high scoring games than Sony in the last year. You guys are spreading lies to make yourself feel better about the PS3 losing.

WTF did the 360 get last year besides ONE Halo game? Nothing.
Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

Xbox 360 is 3rd party+casual kinect+tv(netflix etc.) box, and has been for past two years. I guess for people who only have 360 its fine, but for me microsoft should have released better exclusives. And Kinect is unreliable tech, steel battalion and many more games have shown it.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
Y'know the 360 line up is bad to awful this year in exclusives when even the WiiU has more lol.
Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"][QUOTE="dream431ca"]

YoshiYogurt

Forza Horizon racing game of the year

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts
[QUOTE="Miketheman83"][QUOTE="dream431ca"]

YoshiYogurt

www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29361408/anybody-that-says-ms-abandoned-the-core-is-lying
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

Miketheman83

And ontop of the fact that the 360 so far has had the longest lifespan of any console in the HISTORY of gaming without an announced predecessor.  Lol @ cows trying to make anyone but themselves believe this nonsense that the 360 is in some dire NEED of games to play, compared to the PS3.  When it needed exclusives, it had them.  You are also forgetting that the console is a year older than the PS3.  The console is on its way out.  Just because you showed up to the party at 4am with booze when everyone has already gone home, does not mean we will stay and party with you.   

While I agree,Sony has more developers to put themselves in a better position NEXT generation.......thats the key....NEXT generation.  That is when I (and most of the real world) will start taking Sony's "first party" seriously. 

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

Nintendo abandoned their user base on Wii as well, as soon as the sales slowed down they stopped their support of Wii and announced the Wii U.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

*walks into the store house containing the evidence that sony produces a steady consistant stream of first and second party games for their system 3,2 and even a year after the launch of their next system* oh look the ark of the covenant...ohh look its noahs ark....lol

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
what a coincidence..they abandoned their user base 4 years after the 360 released as wellcampzor