Microsoft, change your strategy, or drop out (long read)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@charizard1605 said:

@AzatiS said:

@charizard1605: Sony list is limited i can name way more than those games. Actually you missing pretty much HOT playstation exclusive games maybe in purpose to make Nintendo look better ?

This is a list of active franchises Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft had 14 years after their initial entry into the market. What active Sony franchises am I missing, by that definition, exactly?

Well , active is tricky word and i get why you mentioning it. You are clever. You see there arent many companies out there using the same "active" franchises for over 15 years ...I can think only one.

I can. Se Gran Turismo? Or Wipeout? Or Megaman? Resident Evil?

Forget active, even. Crash Bandicoot? Not a Sony franchise. Final Fantasy? Not Sony. Metal Gear Solid? Not Sony. The argument is for first and second party games, not third party exclusives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@intotheminx said:

I don't see anything wrong with spending money if you have it. It would have been brilliant if MS paid for exclusive rights to TROTTR instead of making it timed. They do need to produce more 1st party games, but they should also buy what they can. They need the help.

How about... spending that money to make games?!?!?!?!?

Crazy, I know!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

It was all good to be multiplat PortBox for two gens when in the first gen you had the clearly more powerful hardware and the second gen you had the clearly easier to access hardware. This gen, Sony took both those strengths away from the XBox brand itself and the free ride is over for MS as a result. They have to rely on their first party to differentiate themselves from the competition. I knew things were heading in a direction I didn't like when they closed Ensemble. However, when the Kinect hype storm was starting up, I had to jump out.

This gen? They have no wind in their sails. Everything they ccould have done to prevent this should have been done when they were doing well last gen. Even Kinect wouldn't have made quite an impact on the core gamer as it did if they had simply opened some new studios while the going was good. They may have even slowed the exodus to the PS3 late in the gen as a result. XBox hasn't just been outgunned. It's been outclassed. At the beginning of Gen 7, there was an unspoken promise that XBox was a new start for the gaming industry and that there was so much left undone by Sony and Playstation and the XBox was there to fill those gaps.

Instead, we got this mess and the people calling the shots are a bunch of hollow suits and bean counters. Even Spencer himself penned the 400 million dollar check for the NFL at the onset of XBones release. He's actually as much a part of the problem as anyone else, but they have done a good job as spinning him as some kind of savior figurehead. I'm just not buying it. Not until they show they are willing to splash cash on development studios. Unfortunately, I think the writing is on the wall with that one. They have one foot out of the console business and their lack of commitment to securing exclusive software as well as studios for the XBone is very telling.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@AzatiS said:

@charizard1605: Sony list is limited i can name way more than those games. Actually you missing pretty much HOT playstation exclusive games. One shot games should be up there or time exclusives that were Sony exclusives for more than 5-6 years more or less like FF7/FF8/FF9/FF10 , Medieval series , Crash Bandicoot series and so many other fantastic exclusive games like TEKKEN series exclusive since few years ago. ( I wont mention timed exclusives like 6months to a year though ).

None can go near to what Playstation can offer when it comes to variety. If i do the list as it should have been ... Oh boy!! Wont even be fair for Wii U and Xbox combined.

Did you... did you actually read the OP, or did you just read the lists, and decided to comment? Because that's what it looks like you did, and now you look pretty foolish.

Active .... thats the trick now ... Ok. Lets just jump 100 massive games since are inactive ... Oo.

"" After 14 years, in 2008, this was the list of PlayStation exclusive first (and second) party franchises """

Ok ...

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Halo cannot hold the xbox brand any longer, so i say time to change strategy m$, but this time have both the gamers and your company gets the benefit, would it really hurt them if they do what sony and ninty does, like having more exclusives with variety...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@AzatiS said:

@charizard1605 said:

@AzatiS said:

@charizard1605: Sony list is limited i can name way more than those games. Actually you missing pretty much HOT playstation exclusive games. One shot games should be up there or time exclusives that were Sony exclusives for more than 5-6 years more or less like FF7/FF8/FF9/FF10 , Medieval series , Crash Bandicoot series and so many other fantastic exclusive games like TEKKEN series exclusive since few years ago. ( I wont mention timed exclusives like 6months to a year though ).

None can go near to what Playstation can offer when it comes to variety. If i do the list as it should have been ... Oh boy!! Wont even be fair for Wii U and Xbox combined.

Did you... did you actually read the OP, or did you just read the lists, and decided to comment? Because that's what it looks like you did, and now you look pretty foolish.

Active .... thats the trick now ... Ok. Lets just jump 100 massive games since are inactive ... Oo.

"" After 14 years, in 2008, this was the list of PlayStation exclusive first (and second) party franchises """

Ok ...

Yes? The idea is having actual first party games that you are using? Or I'd count all of Rare's catalog for Microsoft too, you know, and this thread would be pointless to begin with.

Again, did you actually read the OP and understand what I was trying to say?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#57  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#58 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Agree,

Btw, quoted from Neogaf:

Sure you don't build a first party stable overnight, but in MS' case when they hell are they going to start?

Lets recap:

Started Turn 10, who went on to make Forza, the one truly original IP from Microsoft to ever succeed.

Bought Bungie when Halo was months from release, had them port it to Xbox, cancelling a much hyped PC version which did later arrive, not to mention the Mac version Bungie had been promising.

Purchased FASA as part of another acquisition in 1999. After doing very little with the Shadowrun and MechWarrior IPs on the Xbox family of consoles closes FASA in 2007, licences out all their worthwhile IPs to small studios.

Bought Rare in 2002, since they have mined the Perfect Dark, Banjo, and Conker IPs with zero success, made one new mascot IP for Xbox 360's launch that never got a follow up despite being a pretty solid (kid friendly) game (Kameo, FYI). Have since been largely relegated to Kinect titles, weren't even the ones who made the Killer Instinct reboot.

Purchased Lionhead in 2006. Proceeded to have them make nothing but Fable games, including a crappy Kinect Fable game. Stopped making PC versions entirely, games progressively got further and further away from the original concept for Fable. A large number of staff has been laid off over the past two years, another large group up and left with Molyneaux, which if it was anything like his departure from Bullfrog to found Lionhead constituted his core staff he's had everywhere (i.e. the real talent in the studio). Making yet another Fable game that is even further removed from the original premise.

Started up 343 studios as a replacement for Bungie when Bungie wanted out as opposed to eternally making nothing but Halo. Now 343 makes nothing but Halo, only not as well as Bungie. The game they wouldn't let Bungie make, Destiny, is now the most pre-ordered game yet. Winning?

Disbanded Ensemble Studios, Aces Studio, MS Flight Team, MS Victoria Studio (never released anything) and Carbonated Games. Have in the last several years purchased BigPark (absorbed into MS Game Studios), Twisted Pixel (who's next game was a full blown stinker), Press Play (nothing of note, so basically shuffling deck chairs with this and closing Carbonated).

Also, Black Tusk isn't new. It's Microsoft Vancouver. They just cleaned house and renamed it after Vancouver went years without finishing anything. Black Tusk is doing an admirable job keeping that history alive.

This is just a quick sample of how MS has handled their first parties. Forza is the only new IP they've generated and maintained worth a shit in their entire time as a console first party. Everything else was bought, mismanaged, and typically shuttered.

Buying their way into the industry with the Xbox with Bungie, Lionhead, etc. is one thing. Sure, you need meaningful exclusives and that was the fastest way to get them. They've been in the console business for nearly 13 years now though. The proof is in the pudding. Microsoft has never shown a commitment to developing their own legitimate first party stable. They closed much of what they did start with the Xbox during the X360 generation because Sony's failure to deliver with PS3 allowed them to pick off former exclusives and have a comparable 3rd party library at a lower price, so they weren't needed. The only significant reinvestment they've ever shown in software development was for Kinect, which they've now pulled back on nearly completely as well.

Microsoft brings nothing to this industry other than dump trucks of money. They're in the video game industry for all the wrong reasons. Making and selling video games is a secondary part of the business model and that has been the case from day one. Originally it was a Sony denial tactic. As Sony fell on hard times and the X360 emerged as a successful product they used XBL to turn it into a marketing push where their real customers were advertisers and games were just the gateway to get people in the door looking at all the ads. The XB1's original concept took this to the next level planning to have Kinect effectively mining data from within our homes while we lived around the system. Obviously the blow back was too great to continue that little project, but that was the original intent and Microsoft stated as much during a conference for their advertising partners.

Instead of this (which probably cost them $50M or better), Titanfall (which also likely cost them $50M or better) the stated NFL deal at $400M, and buying the Gears IP from Epic (likely a solid $50-$100M price tag) Microsoft could have funded over a half dozen of the biggest, most expensive AAA exclusives EVER. They gave the NFL more money for a fantasy football app than Take 2/Rockstar spent on Grand Theft Auto 5. Let that sink into your head when you excuse their lack of first party studios as "taking time".

*Clap Clap Clap*

I've been saying this for many years now. MS hasnt produced sh*t ever since they entered gaming. The only good things I can remember were XBLA (wich came with a cost: pay to play online) and achievements. If they left gaming no one other than rabbid xbox fanboys would miss them. Sega was a way better competitor to Sony and Nintendo than MS ever was. Sure all companies are in for the money but Sony and Nintendo still produce quality stuff for their base. MS is just painfully obvious in this for the money and doesnt give a sh*t about its community. Dont know how anyone could be a fan of Xbox when its painfully obvious MS doesnt give a sh*t about you

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@intotheminx said:

I don't see anything wrong with spending money if you have it. It would have been brilliant if MS paid for exclusive rights to TROTTR instead of making it timed. They do need to produce more 1st party games, but they should also buy what they can. They need the help.

Crazy, I know!

Well, I did say they need to do both.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts

All we know for FACTS, is MS got humiliated at their Xbone reveal, got knocked the **** out at E3, then promptly dropped Kinect(lol) and shit canned their WHOLE vison of the Xbone to TRY and keep pace with current gen 8 leader SONY and the PS4.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@Suppaman100: No rational gamer thinks that. Stop putting the sane people here with the likes of you fanboys.

Lol didn't expect any better from a lemming like you.

But pls keep you head in the sand, the facts are clear as day. MS has brought more sh*t to the gaming industry than good. I know lemmings like you don't like to hear that though.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I agree with everything you said Char.

Instead of paying $500 million to the NFL they should have been spending that money on existing and exclusive new IP's. It's like they thought they knew their audience but most early adopters are gamers and not dudebros.

It was also purported before the console's release that MS was going to make a deal with all the major cable companies and the X1 was going to be able to double as cable box. Do we even know if MS attempted to make deals? But anyways you still have to pay/rent your cable box if TV is your thing. Epic fail on MS part.

I think MS really shit the bed with the X1. First they drop Kinect which at first they claimed was "integral to the Xbox experience" and initially charge $100 more for a weaker system. Reportedly 20-50% weaker depending on who you believe. I personally believe it closer to be 15-20% inferior myself, but hell, Sony having a 15-20% advantage is HUGE. Last gen MS and Sony had almost identical systems except one had a mildly superior GPU and was easier to develop for while one had "teh cell."

Do I think the X1 outdoes the Sony $600 PS3 catastrophe? Just barely, and it's going to take time for people to realize it.

Do I think MS should leave the console industry? Definitely not. In fact I was going to jump ship to MS after 3 gens with Sony. Then they had that horrid unveiling and I threw my hands up in the air disgusted........

If they want to stop losing money on the Xbox brand all they have to do is make more exclusives. Instead they pay the NFL half a billion dollars. I thought you could watch every game you wanted if you have the right DirecTV package?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Shewgenja

@Heil68 said:

All we know for FACTS, is MS got humiliated at their Xbone reveal, got knocked the **** out at E3, then promptly dropped Kinect(lol) and shit canned their WHOLE vison of the Xbone to TRY and keep pace with current gen 8 leader SONY and the PS4.

You left out whiffing at Gamescom with their biggest bombshell being a timed exclusive. It's not even reasonable to suggest that MS will be dropping bombs at TGS. So, Sony is about to drop another load all over the XBox in a few weeks.

MS is doing very badly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@intotheminx said:

@charizard1605 said:

@intotheminx said:

Crazy, I know!

Well, I did say they need to do both.

Well then we agree :)

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Shewgenja

@charizard1605

It looks like you hit the nail on the head.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@Blabadon said:

@Suppaman100: No rational gamer thinks that. Stop putting the sane people here with the likes of you fanboys.

But pls keep you head in the sand, the facts are clear as day. MS has brought more sh*t to the gaming industry than good. I know lemmings like you don't like to hear that though.

At least Blab knew well enough to get current gen 8 leader and just so happens to be the world's most powerful video game console to have EVER been created in the HISTORY of games, the PS4.

He helped build SONY's 10 million + War Machine....

awwww yeaaahhhh

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I have a question. At E3 Microsoft showed off some boring game that could incorporate Conker. Is that a MS studio thing? Do they own Conker, and if so why aren't they jumping all over that given the E3 response?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Shewgenja said:

@charizard1605

It looks like you hit the nail on the head.

Haha, this is amazing.

Looks like more and more people are waking up to the long term fallacies of such a strategy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@intotheminx said:

I have a question. At E3 Microsoft showed off some boring game that could incorporate Conker. Is that a MS studio thing? Do they own Conker, and if so why aren't they jumping all over that given the E3 response?

That game is an MS Studio thing. It's Project Spark, it's like their take on Minecraft/LittleBigPlanet. Looks pretty fun, actually.

And for all we know, they might have decided to greenlight a Conker game, but we just won't know for a few years now, given how massive and bloated AAA game development has become.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

I thought MS made a good start with this gen when I saw they had Ryse, Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break being 3 new IP and AAA caliber first party titles and I applaud them for that and think they deserve credit.

But, after seeing the exclusive Tomb Raider buy out announcement (which turned out to be a half truth anyway) it seems MS blew their load with the first group of exclusive games announced and are back to their old tricks again.

Some people may not think in means anything, but it is significant that MS would go as far as to try to mislead people into thinking it was exclusive. The fact that they were trying to pay for a multiplat to not be on other platforms was bad enough but then they added misleading information to confuse people.

Why do this?

MS has went on record saying that investing into AAA games is "risky". Welp, IMO if they don't want to create new high quality games on the platform they created then they don't need to be in this industry.

Char your OP was dead on, it's surprising to see knowing how you defended MS/xbox in the past. AAA post.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@kinectthedots: The issue is, neither Ryse, nor Dead Rising, nor Sunset Overdrive belong to them, and can jump ship at any time. Two of them already have.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kinectthedots

@charizard1605:

Shit, I was trying to be fair but then I remembered that Ryse is coming to PC lol.

EVERYTHING Up to 0:57 seconds says it all that my post speaks of. MS doesn't care about making games only leaching all the money off the industry they can.

Loading Video...

This is the reality of MS's purpose of being in the industry.

No matter what anyone says Sony and Nintendo at the very least are REAL game companies who care about creating video games, MS simply does not share the same philosophy and if left up to them they wouldn't invest any money in creating games.

MS apologists say all companies are the same and only want your money but actions speak louder than words and the companies AREN'T the same. Fanboys just use these blanket statements to excuse all the crappy practices MS uses for the purpose of getting money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#73 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

For me, personally... There aren't really any exclusive games I'm looking forward to on the PS4. Maybe it's just me, I don't know, but there aren't.

Bloodborne might be alright, I did enjoy Demons' Souls for a while, but it just kind of seems dark & dreary.

The exclusive games Microsoft is releasing, I'm looking forward to them. I don't care if it's unoriginal, or if Microsoft bought their way to it. They have the games I want to play, plain and simple.

Sunset Overdrive looks great. Halo Master Chief Collection will be guaranteed fun. I loved Crackdown and the new iteration looks to revive that IP. I was never big on Fable, but Fable Legends looks like it could potentially be fun. Phantom Dust seemed neat. Ori and the Blind Forest looks good.

Maybe with Microsoft, what you have is more stable, more guaranteed fun. They may not have a large number of original IPs, but what they do have is some stuff I already know I like. If they announce a new Toy Soldiers, and if Double-Fine makes an Iron Brigade sequel, then that's really icing on the cake.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@kinectthedots: Exactly. I mean, sure, it's a business, and you want to make money, that makes sense, I'm not saying that Sony and Nintendo aren't trying to make money, but still, you should at least have some passion for the product you are peddling, and so far, Microsoft does not have that passion for games. I sincerely hope they develop said passion- it took Sony a while too, but they got there. I hope Microsoft gets there too. Contrary to what it nat seem like, I do not wish for Microsoft to leave console gaming at all.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@Zaibach said:

Had Sony been more competitive last gen instead of shitting the bed, MS would have been forced to create some new IPs of its own instead of relying on the trifecta of Forza, Gears and Halo. After rinsing and repeating this formula with great success, they had no incentive to really bolster their 1st party. And then enter Kinect to deal the deafening blow to the outcry for new Ips

Lol, so it's Sony's fault now?

Every rational gamer knows it. MS needs to GTFO of the gaming industry, ...no that's also not right, they should get out of the console industry.

Loved MS in the 90's with Age of empires,... MS should go back to making games, not consoles.

MS did more bad to the console industry than good.

BS, i am a rational gamer who has been gaming for 29 years and i think the 360 was one of the best consoles ever produced gamewise.

Microsoft did more bad than good? having a HDD as standard is Bad? standardising online play on consoles is bad? Allowing you to install Full games to the HDD for the first time on consoles is bad?

You have a very BAD idea of what is bad for gaming dude.

You don't want MS out of the console Industry for any RATIONAL reason, you just don't like them because you are a SONY drone.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@charizard1605: You're missing a lot of Xbox exclusives. Where's Lost Odyssey, Kameo, Perfect Dark, Blue Dragon, PGR, etc.., etc... Keep trying son.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Shewgenja

@blackace said:

@charizard1605: You're missing a lot of Xbox exclusives. Where's Lost Odyssey, Kameo, Perfect Dark, Blue Dragon, PGR, etc.., etc... Keep trying son.

I'd say Microsoft is missing a lot of XBox exclusives. Where the **** have those franchises been? Cool story bro. The point of this thread went right over you. You did not catch it. You are not fast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@blackace said:

I am a) only listing franchises (not one short games), and b) only listing active franchises (i.e. a franchise with a game release in the last four years and/or a game currently in development).

What am I missing?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Zaibach said:

Had Sony been more competitive last gen instead of shitting the bed, MS would have been forced to create some new IPs of its own instead of relying on the trifecta of Forza, Gears and Halo. After rinsing and repeating this formula with great success, they had no incentive to really bolster their 1st party. And then enter Kinect to deal the deafening blow to the outcry for new Ips

No, I think, this is the issue, instead of investing in their own IPs, Microsoft would have just done what they did (and continue to do now, when Sony is competitive)- buying games (even if only for a limited time) instead of making their own. I don't think that making their own games is even an idea that occurs to them. It's a cultural problem, it needs to change. Sure, Sony and Nintendo are both also businesses, but they care for the business they are in (in that at least PlayStation and Nintendo care for games, if only in a business sense). Microsoft has repeatedly shown that it does not.

Microsoft did make their own games from the point that they entered the market up until a couple of years into last gen. I think they just saw more money from Xbox Live than they did games development and drew the wrong conclusions as to why they were successful. Microsoft had a very impressive stable of developers at the beginning of last gen. Now, Bungie is gone, Epic is no longer making Gears games, Ensemble was closed down, and Rare is just a shell of their former selves. All of this happened under Microsoft's watch, and Microsoft has done nothing to replace any of that talent.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@blackace said:

you used son at the end, so badass. xD

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By kinectthedots

@blackace said:

You realize he didn't list single exclusive games for Playstation either?

Demon's Souls, MGS4, Ni No Kuni, Puppeteer, Beyond: Two Souls? and unlike your list all these games are AAAE not AE and below...

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Krelian-co

@delta3074 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Zaibach said:

Every rational gamer knows it. MS needs to GTFO of the gaming industry, ...no that's also not right, they should get out of the console industry.

Loved MS in the 90's with Age of empires,... MS should go back to making games, not consoles.

BS, i am a rational gamer

You had me until this, good one.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Maybe because Microsoft considers Windows iterations as exclusive games? Put Windows on the list and it becomes as big as the other two.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 kinectthedots

Here is an interesting factoid that should truly illustrate the TC's point..

since 2006 MS hasn't produced a single AAAE title that wasn't Halo/Forza/Gears.

FACT.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@delta3074 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Zaibach said:

Typical Cow, why don't you actually use your brain and address the points i make instead of being a Dick, i AM a rational Gamer and i HAVE been gaming for 29 years, before you where out of nappies no doubt, anyway , i digress.

How is having a HDD as standard bad for the industry?

How is installing full games to your HDD on consoles a bad thing?

How is standardised online play a bad thing?

How are achievements a bad thing?

All these things MS did first and are actually good for gamers and good for the industry.

Now why don't you dig deep, find those Debating Skills and list all the things that you feel MS has done that are bad for the industry and actually try and debunk my points instead of veiled personal insults

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

Sony ponies wishlist to Microsoft:

1- Dont buy 3rd party exclusives (it really hurts PS4 but shhh dont tell)

2- Timed exclusives should be only for 47 hours (1-2 years timed exclusives hurt our PS4 somehow)

3- You can buy DLC (it is pointless since it wont affect Ps4 negatively that much except for COD DLC but shhh)

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Krelian-co

@delta3074 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@delta3074 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Zaibach said:

Typical Cow, why don't you actually use your brain and address the points i make instead of being a Dick, i AM a rational Gamer and i HAVE been gaming for 29 years, before you where out of nappies no doubt, anyway , i digress.

How is having a HDD as standard bad for the industry?

How is installing full games to your HDD on consoles a bad thing?

How is standardised online play a bad thing?

How are achievements a bad thing?

All these things MS did first and are actually good for gamers and good for the industry.

Now why don't you dig deep, find those Debating Skills and list all the things that you feel MS has done that are bad for the industry and actually try and debunk my points instead of veiled personal insults

stop crying ffs.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Shewgenja

@Ovirew said:

For me, personally... There aren't really any exclusive games I'm looking forward to on the PS4. Maybe it's just me, I don't know, but there aren't.

Bloodborne might be alright, I did enjoy Demons' Souls for a while, but it just kind of seems dark & dreary.

The exclusive games Microsoft is releasing, I'm looking forward to them. I don't care if it's unoriginal, or if Microsoft bought their way to it. They have the games I want to play, plain and simple.

Sunset Overdrive looks great. Halo Master Chief Collection will be guaranteed fun. I loved Crackdown and the new iteration looks to revive that IP. I was never big on Fable, but Fable Legends looks like it could potentially be fun. Phantom Dust seemed neat. Ori and the Blind Forest looks good.

Maybe with Microsoft, what you have is more stable, more guaranteed fun. They may not have a large number of original IPs, but what they do have is some stuff I already know I like. If they announce a new Toy Soldiers, and if Double-Fine makes an Iron Brigade sequel, then that's really icing on the cake.

Just one problem with your line of reasoning. There need to be enough people like you to keep the business model working and there's not.

This is why having a lot of IP is more important than having a few good IPs. You target a broader audience which pushes sales.

I think there's more fun in variety. Then again, I've been playing videogames since 1984 and I suspect you are a younger gamer.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#91 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

your absolutely right, they have a real winner in halo though. i'd take halo over a dozen quality AAA franchises personally. i really took a disliking to ms last gen when they would buy timed exclusive bullshit, cod map packs for example. its a dirty practice. i do feel however ms is turning things around a bit with the new leadership for their xbox division.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

Sony ponies wishlist to Microsoft:

1- Dont buy 3rd party exclusives (it really hurts PS4 but shhh dont tell)

2- Timed exclusives should be only for 47 hours (1-2 years timed exclusives hurt our PS4 somehow)

3- You can buy DLC (it is pointless since it wont affect Ps4 negatively that much except for COD DLC but shhh)

Did you call me a Sony pony? xD

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

I do agree with TC for the part that they should do more with the IPs that they have and everyone would agree I would think. Getting out of the business probably would be the worst thing possible if you ask me though. If they did Sony wouldn't have any type of competition if Nintendo was left to be a competitor .

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#94  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@Blabadon said:

See, this is why you're a joke. You expect people to believe you when you say you're rational, but anytime someone (with more PS systems than you, btw) calls you out on how stupid you are, it's "yur a lemming!!1!"

Microsoft is the only reason Sony's online is as good and competitive as it is. Get your dick out of your PS4. It ain't healthy.

Also one more time LOOOOOOL at you saying you're rational. Please. Get out.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#95  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

When you look at all of the costs involved in making a AAA game and hoping it succeeds... We see studio's going broke because they failed only once to meet their sales target. So their idea was to simply not take those risks. Let everybody else take those risks and waste their money, and if something turned out well they would buy the exclusivity. They must have thought this could be an excellent way to buy themselves into the industry. At the time they even explained publicly that this was their strategy. I don't remember who or when exactly.

I don't know what happened to their intend to secure exclusives. Obviously something went wrong. Maybe the projects that succeeded were vastly more expensive to buy than they had estimated? Maybe MS Main suddenly decided that it wasn't necessary? They try timed exclusivity instead and I don't think that works. Maybe it sells but it doesn't do what they needed it to do.

And then another mistake. Sony and MS use very similar hardware. This must have been MS's worst nightmare and I feel MS did not try hard enough to be different. I suspect that there was a part of MS that was ordered to focus on getting all 3rd party royalties, all 3rd party support. These people were probably not even aware of anything else MS was planning. While creating a platform that is easy to port to works to generate 3rd party support, it also made exclusives matter even more. Undermining their own strategy. They seem to do that all the time.

Then Nintendo essentially side stepped this whole confrontation, which puts them in a very interesting position. They are surviving solely on exclusives now on the console front and there is nothing Sony or MS or anyone can do about this because they are very good at it. They essentially carved out their own untouchable shrine in the market and maybe they are biding their time.

In my opinion that was a brilliant move because now Sony and MS are invested in this dark conflict that is undermining their own products now. With that I mean that their 'consoles' are no longer consoles in any positive way. They offer very little in terms of exclusives. PC hardware pricing and console pricing is starting to overlap. People have grown used to using a PC and using an open system.

Nobody here seems to see this coming, but Sony and MS are marching straight into a console vs PC battle, yet Nintendo is not. We'll see how that plays out, but if I were in the console business I would have probably done exactly what Nintendo did. I think someone at Nintendo is a very good Go player.

If I were Sony and MS I would turn around and start seeing Valve and be very much afraid. If I were Nintendo I would be looking at Valve as a potential great partner in crime.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@j_assassin said:

Halo cannot hold the xbox brand any longer, so i say time to change strategy m$, but this time have both the gamers and your company gets the benefit, would it really hurt them if they do what sony and ninty does, like having more exclusives with variety...

They already have exclusives with variety. The XB1 launched with exclusive games in more genre then the PS4. Seriously, research before you make dumb comments.

• Fighter Within
  • Forza 5
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Killer Instinct
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Zoo Tycoon
  • Power Star Golf

Compared to the PS4.

• Knack
  • Contrast
  • Resogun
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

Can someone explain to me though how we know that MS has actually hurt the gaming industry ?

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

well according to wikipedia

Sony has 16 1st party studios currently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment

Microsoft Studios contains 26 1st party studios worldwide, 17 for game development (343 Industries, Rare, Lionhead, Turn 10, Twisted Pixel, Black Tusk, etc) and 9 for non-game development:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Game_Studios

So MS actually has more 1st party studios then Sony does despite Sony having a head start.

here is a list of studios that Sony has closed down (from the same link)

Internal Studios

• 989 Studios - NFL GameDay series, Major League Baseball series
  • Bigbig Studios– Pursuit Force series
  • Incognito Entertainment - Twisted Metal series, Warhawk
  • SCE Studio Liverpool – Wipeout, F1
  • Zipper Interactive – SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs series, MAG, Unit 13

Independent developers

• Cellius – Ridge Racer Vita
  • Eat Sleep Play – Twisted Metal, Calling All Cars!
  • Game Republic - Genji series, Folklore, Dark Mist, Toy Home
  • LightBox Interactive - Starhawk
  • Relentless Software – Buzz! series
  • Slant Six Games – SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs series

GG was founded in 2000, their 1st game was multiplatform, then sony purchased them.

in 2006 Sony purchased Zipper who made the socom series as an independent dev, Then closed them down 6 years later

In 2007 they brought bigbig studios who made a PsP game for sony as an indie dev. tehn closed them 5 years later

Sony has shut down 8 studios in the past 8 years. That made franchises from twisted metal to wipeout to socom to MAG etc.

Sucker punches 1st game was on N64 in 1999. Sony money hatted them for exclusives then purchased them in 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Worldwide_Studios

So yeah, all companies do that. MS hasn't been the only company to mishandle devs. Sony has money hatted several exclusives from independent companies like MS, They have purchased studios and closed them down a few years later, they have classic IPs that are ignored. People here need a history lesson in gaming. I'm willing to bet the average age here had a PS1 as their 1st console.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@delta3074 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Zaibach said:

BS, i am a rational gamer who has been gaming for 29 years and i think the 360 was one of the best consoles ever produced gamewise.

Microsoft did more bad than good? having a HDD as standard is Bad? standardising online play on consoles is bad? Allowing you to install Full games to the HDD for the first time on consoles is bad?

You have a very BAD idea of what is bad for gaming dude.

You don't want MS out of the console Industry for any RATIONAL reason, you just don't like them because you are a SONY drone.

Hahaha another emotional lemming response.

The sh*t they pulled (and wanted to) FAR outweighs the good things they did for the gaming industry. HDD, standardizing online play,... is nohting compared to the sh*t they did. And btw these points you summed up are up for debate. Online play, HDD's,... was more of natural evolution imo.

And lol that you think 360 was one of the best console ever, you really have low standards then. Forgot about RROD? Forgot about the afwul second half of the console's life? Forgot that 360 was left dead and abandoned after a few years, meanwhile (PS3) still has support and gets new exclusives (tales of, P5,...)

And the topic is about MS's almost non existing first-party support, what do you have to say about that? You're supporting that crap too or what lem?