blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16580 Posts

@girlusocrazy: the deck is also a laptop without a keyboard. I don't get the rabid hate for windows and pretty much all microsoft products. There has to be a limit to shilling for sony.

With that said, Windows 11 truly is amazing and I will agree with you that i don't really see a need for a hand held device like the ally. You're also right that windows 11 just isn't suitable for handheld use, its just too bloated, complex and the UI for handhelds isn't great either. On the other hand steam OS is light weight and purpose built. Valve is also working to improve performance and optimization for games. The steam deck hardware also has tons of replacement parts you can order as needed. The support is just much better for the deck. It's a great device.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45328 Posts

@theam0g said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Must..resist...shiny new thing.. can get a discount too...

$80 off (10%) if you use the code may24emo25 at checkout at Best Buy

yup! thats what I was referring to

@ghostofgolden said:

Preordered. But that battery life… But hey, it’s basically a portable Series S…

only 2 hours?? is that true? if so, sucks

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Out of all these portable PC devices currently out this one is definitely the one that I’m most interested in. Very tempting.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Preordered. But that battery life… But hey, it’s basically a portable Series S…

only 2 hours?? is that true? if so, sucks

Yeah it’s abysmal. In some cases, just over an hour. But being a married father of 3, who am I kidding? An hour or two is more than enough for what I get. It’s just exciting to think about playing PC games while floating in the pool…

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

Hate to see MS collaborating with Asus as Asus themselves are in hot water not handling the situation with their own Motherboards bios and can't even give out warranty feels like it's gonna hurt the Asus ROG Ally in some kind of way.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@girlusocrazy said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@girlusocrazy: the deck is also a laptop without a keyboard

You could argue that the consoles are same, they even all run PC OSes. Apple products run on BSD just like the PS5. But like these cases, they were able to customize the software to suit the need, and they were able to do it without being beholden to another party, or needing any deals or permissions.

You're also right that windows 11 just isn't suitable for handheld use, its just too bloated, complex and the UI for handhelds isn't great either. On the other hand steam OS is light weight and purpose built. Valve is also working to improve performance and optimization for games. The steam deck hardware also has tons of replacement parts you can order as needed. The support is just much better for the deck. It's a great device.

Wait you hate Windows now?

Basically you agree with me but you want to spin it into a fanboy thing.

Having a diverse ecosystem is healthy, and Valve having a strong alternative is very good for competition and consumer choice.

no, consoles are closed eco system. If anything I think consoles share more in common with apple than they do with PC. But consoles go even further than apple, restricting its uses to a deeper level. On top of that the hardware isn't generally upgradable. The deck is a legit PC. I purchased a hub for it and a stand to connect it to an external monitor..and it works great.

When did I say I hate windows?? I think windows 11 is amazing, the best OS ever made. But you have to admit the issues with it. Using windows 11 on deck is like putting a corolla engine into a ferrari. Sometimes a purpose built and very focused OS like steam OS makes way more sense. I do hope MS makes something legit, a real competitor in the hand held space.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

PSA...

Hurry, get yours now before they're all gone. :P

Asus ROG Ally Preorders Are Live Now - GameSpot

Asus ROG Ally Preorders Are Live Now

The new Windows-based handheld gaming device costs $700 and releases June 13.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@girlusocrazy:

Yes youre right, apple is a pc, it's a posers computer.

the haters going to hate, windows 11 is absolutely amazing and no surprise geezers want to stick to what they know. It's not black or white, windows 11 is the greatest OS ever made known to mankind, yes its true.

Windows 11 on handheld definitely has issues, but there's also pros to it. Like being able to play epic games and Xbox games library without a hitch. I have a pretty hefty games library for both, along with gpu. So being able to play all 3 would be awesome.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 blaznwiipspman1

Best buy targeted me with ads for the rog ally earlier today and I nearly caved. I had to pull myself from the brink.

Let the first generation get tested by someone else.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@girlusocrazy: the deck is also a laptop without a keyboard. I don't get the rabid hate for windows and pretty much all microsoft products. There has to be a limit to shilling for sony.

With that said, Windows 11 truly is amazing and I will agree with you that i don't really see a need for a hand held device like the ally. You're also right that windows 11 just isn't suitable for handheld use, its just too bloated, complex and the UI for handhelds isn't great either. On the other hand steam OS is light weight and purpose built. Valve is also working to improve performance and optimization for games. The steam deck hardware also has tons of replacement parts you can order as needed. The support is just much better for the deck. It's a great device.

Yeah, Windows is really easy to develop games for. And currently, the better OS for gaming. There is just so much software support for Windows.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Yeah, I definitely prefer Windows OS myself as well.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

Everyone love Windows that is why they use it on the best - the Xbox but I would like the Windows 11 UI on the Xbox also. This is the MS secret weapon do it Phil!!

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:

Whenever a new version of Windows comes out, everyone in offices complain, IT people complain, and many people set to work trying to make it look and feel exactly like the previous or older versions, and some actually stick to the older versions until you pry them from their cold dead hands.

I'm an office worker and I've worked for quite a few organisations over the years starting from the late 90's and in all the places I've worked, I've never seem all the PCs upgraded to the latest version of Windows, they're almost always running the the previous version.

The reasons for this are simple, the older version is almost always more secure and more stable with current software. Moreover, the older version isn't obsolete or unsupported as soon as the latest version becomes available. Why upgrade when there isn't any need to? Windows 10 is still going to be supported to 2025.

No one in offices or I.T departments complain when a new version of Windows comes out.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Patiently waiting for the mobile 4090 eGPU's to get back in stock

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6449 Posts

Ok so I have no interest in this device, but my son watches videos of a PC game called (Not sure if i'm spelling it correctly) BeamNGdrive I think its called. Would it work on this device? If so it might be the perfect xmas present.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#70 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70026 Posts

@last_lap: If it runs on Windows, Yes!

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Last_Lap

@Pedro: That's just it I have no idea on the PC side of things.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts
@last_lap said:

Ok so I have no interest in this device, but my son watches videos of a PC game called (Not sure if i'm spelling it correctly) BeamNGdrive I think its called. Would it work on this device? If so it might be the perfect xmas present.

Yep!

BeamNG.Drive. Great racing sim. You can connect a wheel as well. Will need to buy a USB Hub however.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Last_Lap

@theam0g: Thanks for the info, no interest in a wheel for it though, don't want to buying extras for it.