MGS V to have time freezing, Slow mo executions and regenerating health

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Some new previews of MGS V have come out and thoroughly dampened my excitement for the game. Apparently you can freeze time when guards get alerted so you can take them out before more people hear of your presence. You can do slow mo executions like Solinter Cell conviction and you have regenerating health :?

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - The Splinter Cell Effect
Slow-mo executions, regenerating health, and more changes coming.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes seems, above all else, safe, despite its subtle but significant changes. The prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which eases players to the main games open-world elements, introduces numerous new elements to the franchise, none of which stand out as exceptionally interesting on their own. In unison, one after the other, and in the context of the next Big Boss story, these changes shake up the norm, disrupting expectations with more modern systems. The stealth, action, interrogation, infiltration, and navigation mechanics feel familiar in ways that feel equal parts right and wrong.

When I left the debut gameplay demo of Ground Zeroes, one thought looped in my mind: This is an exceptional Splinter Cell sequel.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/06/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-the-splinter-cell-effect?abthid=52297c7c13532e4667000025

It might not be AS bad as I'm thinking though and will need to see it in action before really judging. Other sites have had more positive things to say about it

http://www.gamefront.com/metal-gear-solid-5-hands-off-preview/

http://nerdreactor.com/2013/09/06/metal-gear-solid-5-sneak-preview-kojima-productions-la-grand-opening/

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/metal_gear_solid_ground_zeroes/b/ps3/archive/2013/09/06/five-big-changes-coming-for-metal-gear-solid-v.aspx

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/06/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-preview/

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59185 Posts

Why would it dampen? The thing was mostly cutscenes anyway. Super easy gameplay that only serves to get you to the next cutscene. Hardly Thief.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

It's not surprising.  Press A to win.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

come on, kojima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Why would it dampen? The thing was mostly cutscenes anyway. Super easy gameplay that only serves to get you to the next cutscene. Hardly Thief.

uninspiredcup

MGS 4? Yeah I agree. But the others had healthy doses of gameplay amid the cutscenes

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Sounds awesome to me #casual #dontcare #wannahavefun

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

glad to see MGS is being bastardized :?

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 1080pOnly

dommeus

#pressanybuttontowin

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dommeus

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

1080pOnly

#pressanybuttontowin

#howilikeit
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

When I left the debut gameplay demo of Ground Zeroes, one thought looped in my mind: This is an exceptional Splinter Cell sequel.seanmcloughlin

Day 1 fo sho

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 1080pOnly

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

dommeus

#pressanybuttontowin

#howilikeit

#thedevolutiongeneration

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

#lookingfrowardtothisgame 

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts
Casualized.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Apparently we will get to see it at the tokyo game show so I will hold off on making a judgement until then.

Why not keep the rations though? Or bring back the survival element from MGS3, I loved that. The bullet time thing was the most annoying though.

The rest didn't worry me to much as MGS has had action in it in the past, as long as it doesn't force you to be lethal in the gameplay, it is ok. And the action sequences in MGS3, like the bike chase, were done well.

Hopefully they will give the player a chance to switch certain settings off.

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts
original MGS is to hard for the lemmings...
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Dumbed down for Kinect :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Apparently we will get to see it at the tokyo game show so I will hold off on making a judgement until then.

Why not keep the rations though? Or bring back the survival element from MGS3, I loved that. The bullet time thing was the most annoying though.

The rest didn't worry me to much as MGS has had action in it in the past, as long as it doesn't force you to be lethal in the gameplay, it is ok. And the action sequences in MGS3, like the bike chase, were done well.

PcGamingRig

I agree that choice is fine but I hope the stealth isn't "Aggressive stealth" if you get me. Like you don't go around knocking guys out all over the place really fast and it is more methodical and you have to be careful. 

It seems like they're adding a few too many "lifelines" though in case you mess it up

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Great news. The gameplay in splinter cell has always been top notch and metal gear's has always been shit. Glad they're finally taking notes.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]

seanmcloughlin

I agree that choice is fine but I hope the stealth isn't "Aggressive stealth" if you get me. Like you don't go around knocking guys out all over the place really fast and it is more methodical and you have to be careful. 

It seems like they're adding a few too many "lifelines" though in case you mess it up

Why is giving you options in case you mess up a bad thing? Reloading checkpoints is annoying.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Hey, this stuff sounds pretty fun to me. If you think that they are making MGS easier or whatever, then your're wrong. MGS has been a very easy game to play ever since MGS3. 

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224

Hey, this stuff sounds pretty fun to me. If you think that they are making MGS easier or whatever, then your're wrong. MGS has been a very easy game to play ever since MGS3. 

JangoWuzHere
Exactly. No MGS game is hard. The hardest part of MGS games is fighting the awful controls.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

You don't like PS1 tank controls ?

Then just watch the movie .

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dommeus

#imlovinit #kieferphoneditin #gamesareart

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]

seanmcloughlin

I don't see the big deal here. If you got spotted in previous MGS games, you could fight your way out of the situation easily. MGS4 gave you so many weapons and items to use in the combat and stealth sections. Both parts of the game were very easy, you were there for the experience, not the actual challenge.

I hope we have options in how we stealth, because I prefer the "fast stealth" approach these days.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Why is giving you options in case you mess up a bad thing? Reloading checkpoints is annoying. mems_1224

They usually have adverse effects on other parts of the gameplay if you can fall back on them. Enemy patterns, AI and the overall flow of stealth could be changed because these other mechanics are in place. Of course I'm being cynical and jumping to conclusions unfairly but I'm just worried the stealth will suffer like it did in MGS4. 

Like tak Blacklist as an example, it's great that you have options but the stealth isn't nearly as well thought out as it was in Chaos Theory and is more aggressive in style or a bit faster moving. I like my slow paced sneaking. 

Looking forward to seeing the gameplay demo however

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freedomfreak
I hope we have options in how we stealth, because I prefer the "fast stealth" approach these days.JangoWuzHere
Same here. Especially after Blacklist. I have a tough time going back to Chaos Theory, because it's too slow, and frankly... boring.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I don't see the big deal here. If you got spotted in previous MGS games, you could fight your way out of the situation easily. MGS4 gave you so many weapons and items to use in the combat and stealth sections. Both parts of the game were very easy, you were there for the experience, not the actual challenge.

I hope we have options in how we stealth, because I prefer the "fast stealth" approach these days.

JangoWuzHere

MGS4 sucks though in regards to stealth and that's why I'm most worried, in case that trend follows on.

Like I said, I'm jumping to conclusions unfairly. I should wait to see it in action as most of this is getting lost in translation from other people writing about it instead of seeing it for myself. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]I hope we have options in how we stealth, because I prefer the "fast stealth" approach these days.freedomfreak
Same here. Especially after Blacklist. I have a tough time going back to Chaos Theory, because it's too slow, and frankly... boring.

And that's fine if you like that. But what about the people who prefer the slower approach like MGS3? Where you lie in wait, waiting for the perfect time to strike. I don't want that to go away because of some current trends in stealth games

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] Why is giving you options in case you mess up a bad thing? Reloading checkpoints is annoying. seanmcloughlin

They usually have adverse effects on other parts of the gameplay if you can fall back on them. Enemy patterns, AI and the overall flow of stealth could be changed because these other mechanics are in place. Of course I'm being cynical and jumping to conclusions unfairly but I'm just worried the stealth will suffer like it did in MGS4. 

Like tak Blacklist as an example, it's great that you have options but the stealth isn't nearly as well thought out as it was in Chaos Theory and is more aggressive in style or a bit faster moving. I like my slow paced sneaking. 

I think Blacklist accomplished what Chaos Theory tried to. I thought it did a good job of handling multiple play styles. I did panther most of the game and I had to plan out my attack and prepare or else Id get killed fast. It was almost impossible to play assault or fluidly move through levels in Chaos Theory because the gameplay was so bad. Blacklist felt more natural other than some broken mechanics like your last known location when you're spotted.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
And that's fine if you like that. But what about the people who prefer the slower approach like MGS3? Where you lie in wait, waiting for the perfect time to strike. I don't want that to go away because of some current trends in stealth gamesseanmcloughlin
It isn't gone for Blacklist. I don't see how it will disappear for MGS5. Grim's 4E missions singlehandedly solidify the fact that Blacklist is the perfect example of a stealth/action game done right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I think Blacklist accomplished what Chaos Theory tried to. I thought it did a good job of handling multiple play styles. I did panther most of the game and I had to plan out my attack and prepare or else Id get killed fast. It was almost impossible to play assault or fluidly move through levels in Chaos Theory because the gameplay was so bad. Blacklist felt more natural other than some broken mechanics like your last known location when you're spotted. mems_1224

and that's fine for Splinter Cell but I don't want MGS to just mimic what another game is doing. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]And that's fine if you like that. But what about the people who prefer the slower approach like MGS3? Where you lie in wait, waiting for the perfect time to strike. I don't want that to go away because of some current trends in stealth gamesfreedomfreak
It isn't gone for Blacklist. I don't see how it will disappear for MGS5. Grim's 4E missions singlehandedly solidify the fact that Blacklist is the perfect example of a stealth/action game done right.

Time will tell I guess.

I really wish Koji showed off the game to players first and let them see what's going on rather than letting journos write about it where stuff gets lost in a confusion of terms. 

Like people hear "regen health" and go ape shit, yet MGS3 already had it. I'm sure my worries will dissipate more when I see it in action

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Doesn't surprise me in the least. The MGS series is just a moneyspinner now, and thats why MGS5 is being made even though 4 was planned to be the last one. Obviously there will be more effort made to appeal to casuals, espescially with it being multi-platform. I just hope that a once great franchise doesnt end up going downhil, much like Final Fantasy has done.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I think Blacklist accomplished what Chaos Theory tried to. I thought it did a good job of handling multiple play styles. I did panther most of the game and I had to plan out my attack and prepare or else Id get killed fast. It was almost impossible to play assault or fluidly move through levels in Chaos Theory because the gameplay was so bad. Blacklist felt more natural other than some broken mechanics like your last known location when you're spotted. mems_1224

The gameplay was bad in Chaos Theory? What the f*ck?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 freedomfreak
Time will tell I guess.

I really wish Koji showed off the game to players first and let them see what's going on rather than letting journos write about it where stuff gets lost in a confusion of terms. 

Like people hear "regen health" and go ape shit, yet MGS3 already had it. I'm sure my worries will dissipate more when I see it in action

seanmcloughlin
I'll reserve my judgement until I play it, or properly see it. We both know people on messageboards always overreact to news like this, yet they're the only ones who haven't played it.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

sts106mat
I think Blacklist accomplished what Chaos Theory tried to. I thought it did a good job of handling multiple play styles. I did panther most of the game and I had to plan out my attack and prepare or else Id get killed fast. It was almost impossible to play assault or fluidly move through levels in Chaos Theory because the gameplay was so bad. Blacklist felt more natural other than some broken mechanics like your last known location when you're spotted.

I played ghost and got the no-kill achievement too. blacklist is the best splinter cell yet IMO, because you have the option to play it anyway you want, you absolutely can take your time (or not).

I agree, it took the best parts of Chaos Theory and Conviction and blended them beautifully.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]I think Blacklist accomplished what Chaos Theory tried to. I thought it did a good job of handling multiple play styles. I did panther most of the game and I had to plan out my attack and prepare or else Id get killed fast. It was almost impossible to play assault or fluidly move through levels in Chaos Theory because the gameplay was so bad. Blacklist felt more natural other than some broken mechanics like your last known location when you're spotted. Lucianu

Yes, its bad. It was ok at the time but I played it a few months ago and it was just clunky and slow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]Time will tell I guess.

freedomfreak

I'll reserve my judgement until I play it, or properly see it. We both know people on messageboards always overreact to news like this, yet they're the only ones who haven't played it.

You mean kinda like I'm doing? :P

That is most likely due to the MGS fanboy in me and how I loved MGS3 and hated MGS4 so I want a return to form. But yep, people over react all the time, especially to articles written to attract attention like IGN saying "the splinter cell effect"

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

Doesn't surprise me in the least. The MGS series is just a moneyspinner now, and thats why MGS5 is being made even though 4 was planned to be the last one. Obviously there will be more effort made to appeal to casuals, espescially with it being multi-platform. I just hope that a once great franchise doesnt end up going downhil, much like Final Fantasy has done.

insanegame377
any great playstation series turned $h!t once it graces any sh!tbox console. RE, SH, dinocrisis, FF, dmc and now MGS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]I think Blacklist accomplished what Chaos Theory tried to. I thought it did a good job of handling multiple play styles. I did panther most of the game and I had to plan out my attack and prepare or else Id get killed fast. It was almost impossible to play assault or fluidly move through levels in Chaos Theory because the gameplay was so bad. Blacklist felt more natural other than some broken mechanics like your last known location when you're spotted. mems_1224

Yes, its bad. It was ok at the time but I played it a few months ago and it was just clunky and slow.

Yeah no shit a game based purely on stealth is slow

I agree on it being clunky though, trying to use weapons in that game is a total pain. It's not intuitive at all, but most games back then weren't. Like you said "good for the time"

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

1080pOnly

#pressanybuttontowin

Where's the "any" button? :?

Fvck, this game is hard!

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

The Ground Zeros chapter will be another chance for Kojima to send a message to the games industry. He is just messing with us like with MGS2.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="insanegame377"]

strawhatlupi

any great playstation series turned $h!t once it graces any sh!tbox console. RE, SH, dinocrisis, FF, dmc and now MGS.

Awww, look at the butthurt cow thinking there's a signifficant difference in PS and Xbox audiences! :D

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Teh casualization.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 freedomfreak
You mean kinda like I'm doing? :P

That is most likely due to the MGS fanboy in me and how I loved MGS3 and hated MGS4 so I want a return to form. But yep, people over react all the time, especially to articles written to attract attention like IGN saying "the splinter cell effect"

seanmcloughlin
Eh, people can do way worse. You're just a bit worrisome.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]I think Blacklist accomplished what Chaos Theory tried to. I thought it did a good job of handling multiple play styles. I did panther most of the game and I had to plan out my attack and prepare or else Id get killed fast. It was almost impossible to play assault or fluidly move through levels in Chaos Theory because the gameplay was so bad. Blacklist felt more natural other than some broken mechanics like your last known location when you're spotted. mems_1224

It's been like a half a year, but i clearly remember that i had no problem.

F*ck, felt fluid and flawless, but i never used fireharms unless i had no choice, and i played with the mouse/keyboard combo. It didn't feel right with a 360 controller, now that i remember.