MGS 4 on multiple discs=WHO CARES KONAMI?!?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 RyuHayabusaX
Member since 2005 • 7838 Posts

Whether or not MGS 4 comes to the 360, it wouldn't reduce sales if it were on 5 discs even. People would still buy. You people didn't pay $500 to not get up to change the discs, you did so to play great games, and that's what everyone wants. Besides, after finishing single player(4-5 discs), 360 owners could play multiplayer on one disc(and use a few GB on the 360's HDD IF needed).

Release MGS 4: Subsidence on the 360 a year later, make TONS of profits. I think Konami should consider it if they want to make millions.

MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts
Honestly, what is the big deal people have with multiple-disc games? It's not like you switch them every ten minutes.
-GhostMLD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -GhostMLD-
Member since 2008 • 3282 Posts
multiple discs = non issue
Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts
And the begging begins.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts
Even the PC could fit it onto one disc (if they left it on Blu-Ray.
virtuas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 virtuas
Member since 2007 • 1312 Posts

multiple discs = non issue-GhostMLD-

yet one time installation is a major issue (only because of ps3).

RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RyuHayabusaX
And the begging begins.kool-aids
I'm not the type of person that needs to spend almost $500 to play a few games that aren't on my current system. Sure I'd like to play MGS 4, but I can easily just borrow the game for 4-5 days and save $500.
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts

[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]multiple discs = non issuevirtuas

MGS4 had several installations, though.
RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RyuHayabusaX
[QUOTE="virtuas"]

[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]multiple discs = non issuebeast667

That wasn't even the major issue though, all you see PS3 owners talking about is how fun it is, and that's all that matters, not how convenient a game is.

Konami WILL bring it to the 360, and I'm not saying that because I want it, but it makes perfect logical sense. You first spend all your effort perfecting MGS 4, and then spend the next year getting that game ready for the system with a bigger fanbase that will make huge profits. Still, the 360 does have hardware limitations, and that's what this year is for. Figure out how to make the multiple discs while porting the game. Porting a game isn't easy, but I think Kojima wasn't concerned with porting it while he was working on the greatest game of his career so far.

mrplayalistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 mrplayalistic
Member since 2003 • 87 Posts

Changing discs is not a problem with me....

Currently playing Lost Odyssey.

edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts

[QUOTE="kool-aids"]And the begging begins.RyuHayabusaX
I'm not the type of person that needs to spend almost $500 to play a few games that aren't on my current system. Sure I'd like to play MGS 4, but I can easily just borrow the game for 4-5 days and save $500.

then why didn't you do this instead of making this topic

-GhostMLD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -GhostMLD-

because it takes up 5 gigs of harddrive space to run ON PAR with the 360 versions.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

If that is the case:

Then the PS3 should get Left for Dead, Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden 3, Splinter Cell Conviction, and whatever game that is exclusive to the 360 and made my a 3rd party dev.

Sounds fair? Quit being greedy lemmings, other consoles get their fair share of good games.

EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts
we talked about this earlier, i will realy want it to be relesed on the 360 , but i dont see it happening
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

80% of fanboy arguments = non issue.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
If you want it that badly, buy a PS3.
RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RyuHayabusaX

[QUOTE="RyuHayabusaX"][QUOTE="kool-aids"]And the begging begins.edo-tensei

then why didn't you do this instead of making this topic

My mistake, it's not easy borrowing it, it just seems so auspicious that the word easy came to mind.

"Hey can I borrow your PS3 for a few days?"

That's not a question you can easily say yes to unless you're a close friend to that person, and I don't have too many friends who own a PS3(only like 10), and none of them own MGS 4. Most of the poeple at my school play COD 4 and Halo 3 online for Xbox 360. Maybe I could ask one of those friends to borrow the PS3 and rent MGS 4, though it just seems like a lot to do, and I don't need to play the game, it's not a top priority in my life.

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

Whether or not MGS 4 comes to the 360, it wouldn't reduce sales if it were on 5 discs even. People would still buy. You people didn't pay $500 to not get up to change the discs, you did so to play great games, and that's what everyone wants. Besides, after finishing single player(4-5 discs), 360 owners could play multiplayer on one disc(and use a few GB on the 360's HDD IF needed).

Release MGS 4: Subsidence on the 360 a year later, make TONS of profits. I think Konami should consider it if they want to make millions.

RyuHayabusaX

:roll: No, MGS4 is not coming to the 360. The only MGS game ever to release on a Microsoft console flopped in sales.
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 carljohnson3456
[QUOTE="virtuas"]

[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]multiple discs = non issue-GhostMLD-

because it takes up 5 gigs of harddrive space to run ON PAR with the 360 versions.

You have a valid point, but the installation issue isnt about as big of an issue to some as disc changing. Both are blown out of proportion.

Only realy problem with installs is the HDD space... which is easily upgradable, but about the only legit complaint anyone can make.

-GhostMLD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -GhostMLD-

If you want it that badly, buy a PS3.SpruceCaboose

*spits on floor*

lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
[QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="virtuas"]

[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]multiple discs = non issueRyuHayabusaX

That wasn't even the major issue though, all you see PS3 owners talking about is how fun it is, and that's all that matters, not how convenient a game is.

Konami WILL bring it to the 360, and I'm not saying that because I want it, but it makes perfect logical sense. You first spend all your effort perfecting MGS 4, and then spend the next year getting that game ready for the system with a bigger fanbase that will make huge profits. Still, the 360 does have hardware limitations, and that's what this year is for. Figure out how to make the multiple discs while porting the game. Porting a game isn't easy, but I think Kojima wasn't concerned with porting it while he was working on the greatest game of his career so far.

Do you realize how many times things make perfect sense in this business, but they never happen? Just because it makes sense, it doesn't mean it is going to happen.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]If you want it that badly, buy a PS3.-GhostMLD-

*spits on floor*

How is that either a rebuttal or an insult?

Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts

It's only a non-issue for the consumers. It is, however, an issue for Konami. Additional discs increase production and distribution costs. If a game doesn't fit on one disc, the publisher automatically has to pay for twice as many (or more) discs when they're being printed. When you're producing millions of them, the cost is something they have to consider.

Additionally, the publisher/manufacturer also must take into consideration how these extra discs will be packaged. Does anybody remember Lost Odyssey? If a game is on 3+ discs, it complicates matters when it comes time to package and distribute the game. It increases the cost of production.

Now, if the publisher were guaranteed to ship a ton of games, they would gladly go to the extra cost/trouble of distributing a game on multiple discs. However, Konami tried this little experiment before; that is, MGS on a non-Sony console. For those who are familiar with the history of the MGS series, you know what I'm talking about. It was a failure on many levels.

Now, what motivation does Konami really have to port MGS4 to the 360? They've already shipped 3 million copies of the game and it's only been, what, two weeks? It's not going to happen.

Multiple discs may be a non-issue for you, but it's certainly not the same for those responsible for paying for the cost of production and distribution. It makes a difference.

RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RyuHayabusaX

If that is the case:

Then the PS3 should get Left for Dead, Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden 3, Splinter Cell Conviction, and whatever game that is exclusive to the 360 and made my a 3rd party dev.

Sounds fair? Quit being greedy lemmings, other consoles get their fair share of good games.

Ninten007
How many of those games will sell like MGS 4 and be as popular and fun? Remember Ninja Gaiden Sigma? That was an experiment by Tecmo to see if the PS3 fanbase was interested in their games. It didn't sell to well apparently because NG2 is exclusive. Porting is hard and has to be worth it in the end. I think Konami can expect some profits in the end. I know you might ask why Gears of War isn't on PS3 though, but Epic might have made enough profits, and Konami(I know that MGS 4 SHIPPED(not sold) a million in Europe) might potentially be looking for more profits on the game that costs who knows how much(how much does it cost to make a 90 minute cutscene that is HD? That's just one cutscene too!)
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 carljohnson3456
[QUOTE="RyuHayabusaX"]

EVOLV3

:roll: No, MGS4 is not coming to the 360. The only MGS game ever to release on a Microsoft console flopped in sales.

That was last gen when the PS2 was 100,000,000 ahead in sales.

I dont think MGS4 looks likely to come to the 360... but it's certainly possible. I've posted this in another forum, but here is why I dont think MGS4 will come to the 360... at least, in it's true form anyway.

MGS4 references the PS1, and even shows a picture of it.
Snake uses a Sixaxis.
They pretty much advertise Blu Ray right in the middle of the game.
Apple products (including Ipods) are all used in the game... MS's other rival.

It could happen, but it doesnt look likely.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

MGS 4 has multiple installations all of which take more time than if you had to actually get up and switch a disk.

The initial install is eight minutes followed by four 3 minute installs per act. If you want to play a previous act or play MGS online you have to endure the 3 minute install again.

Multiple disks would be no hardship with this game.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

Having a game on multiple discs isn't a problem. How many times does MGS4 pause the game to install a part? Four, five? I can't remember. But the time spent on installing one part of the game takes longer than changing a disc. I know you don't have to get up and walk that oh, so long way to the console when you just install a part.

xNJN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xNJN
Member since 2006 • 1374 Posts
Bluray FTW LOL!!!
general_KDI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 general_KDI
Member since 2003 • 1068 Posts
It's not just about the place. There are A LOT of reference to the PS3 into that game. We see, controllers, XMB, Ps3, PSP, Psone, Old PSone controller, bluray, old memory cards, etc. All references to the Ps,Ps2, Ps3. Those who have played it will know what I'm talking about. IMO there is absolutely no chance it would go on the X360. It's made for Ps3, and will stay on ps3.
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts

then whats all this crap about DVD's not having enough space? I would rather have taken 4 seconds to change a disc than 3 minutes watching snake smoke while the game reinstalled. If they don't care about several installations throughout a game, they should not be able to bash the 360 for multiple discs. I don't care that only one game has more installations like that, only 2 360 games have multiple discs right now.

virtuas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 virtuas
Member since 2007 • 1312 Posts

if mgs4 do get ported, it wont be easy because the game is specifically made for the ps3. It would be like building the game from stratch, meaning they have to spend as much money as they did on the ps3. Another problem would be that it won't sell in japan, it won't sell that much in europe and U.S. seeing that xbox is mainly a system for halo and gear fans type of gamers.

The only reason xbox fan are saying it should come out on the xbox is because of ENVY. Basically, you want what you cant have. but if it did came out, most ppl will ignore it just like when mgs2 on the xbox and was ignored.

Xbox gamers are partly to blame because of the lack of interest when you guys were given a chance to play a very good game, yet you turn it away.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

RyuHayabusaX

LOL..Konami released a MGS game on an MS system and it did not sell millions or do well at all. It might just be more of a waste of money. Not to mention that Sony has pretty much saved Konami money in advertising for MGS4 with them putting the game in their commercials and bundling it in their systems. Trust me MGS4 being bundled with the PS3 will make Konami alot more then if it wasnt bundled and it went multiplat.

Want to play it, get a PS3 or make a friend.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ninten007
[QUOTE="Ninten007"]

If that is the case:

RyuHayabusaX

How many of those games will sell like MGS 4 and be as popular and fun? Remember Ninja Gaiden Sigma? That was an experiment by Tecmo to see if the PS3 fanbase was interested in their games. It didn't sell to well apparently because NG2 is exclusive. Porting is hard and has to be worth it in the end. I think Konami can expect some profits in the end. I know you might ask why Gears of War isn't on PS3 though, but Epic might have made enough profits, and Konami(I know that MGS 4 SHIPPED(not sold) a million in Europe) might potentially be looking for more profits on the game that costs who knows how much(how much does it cost to make a 90 minute cutscene that is HD? That's just one cutscene too!)

Epic can put Gears 2 on PS3 for far more profits. But they are not.

So why should you want MGS 4 on your system?

Porting is not difficult. Especially when they are the same game/

Konami have made their profits, they were proud of how MGS 4 was selling. They said it must sell over 1 million on the first day to break even, it did that. Not to mention we do not know the exact sell numbers in Europe or America.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Javy03

By your logic there should not be ANY third party exclusives but of course your wrong.

RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RyuHayabusaX
[QUOTE="RyuHayabusaX"][QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="virtuas"]

[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]multiple discs = non issuelantus

Do you realize how many times things make perfect sense in this business, but they never happen? Just because it makes sense, it doesn't mean it is going to happen.

We're talking about video game business, right? Last gen, PS3 sold 100 million+ units. Now we're in "current" gen where units aren't selling as much(only the Wii is since it closely resembles last gen(especially it's cost)). It's possible. Another guy mentioned the costs of producing multiple discs, and I do not want to blindly say my case it right so I will consider his argument, and he does have a point. Perhaps MS should have made the HDD at least 60 GB when making the 360, and then Konami might not have a problem putting MGS 4 up for download(MS will pay for the bandwith, if that were the case).
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
god..please dont make this thread get passed 3 pages.
mrplayalistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mrplayalistic
Member since 2003 • 87 Posts
All they would really have to do to cut down the amount of discs would be to compress the audio really. LO would've probably been one maybe two discs, if the audio was compressed. Whatever happens I don't care I will eventually get a PS3.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 heretrix

[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]multiple discs = non issueJared2720

Now, if the publisher were guaranteed to ship a ton of games, they would gladly go to the extra cost/trouble of distributing a game on multiple discs. However, Konami tried this little experiment before; that is, MGS on a non-Sony console. For those who are familiar with the history of the MGS series, you know what I'm talking about. It was a failure on many levels.

Now, what motivation does Konami really have to port MGS4 to the 360? They've already shipped 3 million copies of the game and it's only been, what, two weeks? It's not going to happen.

Multiple discs may be a non-issue for you, but it's certainly not the same for those responsible for paying for the cost of production and distribution. It makes a difference.

A. Have you noticed the positive buzz this gmae has gotten over the past few weeks?

B. The 360 is not the Xbox. 360 gamers buy a whole lot more games than last gen lemmings

C. MGS 4 is not MGS 2. There are things (better camera and controls) that make all the difference.

D. Konami's motivation? easy. A larger userbase = more money.

MGS 4 will sell on the 360, no problem.

After all of this, I believe it won't be ported. MGO could be a problem as Konami seems to want to do it themselves. XBL could be the stumbling block or it would ship without the online, which would probably be a blessing.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts

[QUOTE="virtuas"]

[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]multiple discs = non issueheretrix

MGS 4 has multiple installations all of which take more time than if you had to actually get up and switch a disk.

The initial install is eight minutes followed by three 3 minute installs per act. If you want to play a previous act or play MGS online you have to endure the 3 minute install again.

There's a three minute install for playing online? I don't believe so, and once it's installed to your HD why would you have to reinstall each act again?
FB3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 FB3
Member since 2008 • 403 Posts
There's more than one reason you know...It's almost certainly not happening, quit worrying about it. I'd love to play the game as well, though I know and have accepted that it's extremely unlikely to see a port, I refuse to buy a PoS3 just for it and it's just one game...
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Javy03
[QUOTE="Ninten007"]

If that is the case:

RyuHayabusaX

LOL..NGS sold poorly but guess what so did NG2, infact all NG games have sold poorly whether on an MS, Nintendo or Sony system. MGS is not in that same boat.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="virtuas"]

[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]multiple discs = non issuewhite_sox

The initial install is eight minutes followed by three 3 minute installs per act. If you want to play a previous act or play MGS online you have to endure the 3 minute install again.

There's a three minute install for playing online? I don't believe so, and once it's installed to your HD why would you have to reinstall each act again?

I don't know. I just did my second play through today. I had to reinstall each act. And when I attempted to try MGO it had to be installed because I was in the middle of act 3 in my first playthough.You do have to reinstall each act.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
changing discs isnt a problem...losing disc 2/5 is though -.-...I wonder if i'll ever find my disc 3 of FFIX :(
Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ninten007
With all the smack Lemmings talk about MGS 4, you got to really wonder why do they want it on their system to play it if they say it is so bad?
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts
I see the same people arguing over the same crap, this has been going on all day :(
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

With all the smack Lemmings talk about MGS 4, you got to really wonder why do they want it on their system to play it if they say it is so bad? Ninten007

you mean like cows and mass effect?

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#47 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
I don't know. I just did my second play through today. I had to reinstall each act. And when I attempted to try MGO it had to be installed because I was in the middle of act 3 in my first playthough.You do have to reinstall each act.heretrix
I haven't replayed it yet, but I have played some MGO...and have never had to install anything. Hmm.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninten007"]With all the smack Lemmings talk about MGS 4, you got to really wonder why do they want it on their system to play it if they say it is so bad? lawlessx

you mean like cows and mass effect?

Wow great point, man you owned him..trying to act like lemmings are the only hypocrites here...:roll:

lonsy02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lonsy02
Member since 2005 • 731 Posts
Thank God I owned all three systems I would be going crazy.
RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RyuHayabusaX
god..please dont make this thread get passed 3 pages.lawlessx
I rarely go to preferences, but does everyone here have their posts per page at 50?