Metro Exodus Length to Be That of the Two Previous Games Combined; There Won’t Be Any Fetch Quests

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

Souce

We’re looking at a total playtime of both previous games combined. In terms of geographical footprint, as we have moved to these more open areas, we can fit pretty much the entirety of the first two games (in terms of footprint) into just one of our huge levels. The last two games came in at about 12GB each, and we’re struggling to fit Metro Exodus onto a single Blu-ray. This is a massive step up for the studio.

It’s not like we have a sign up on the screen that says go here, do this, fetch that. We still try to integrate everything naturally… there is all sorts of stuff that you can just come across naturally and explore for yourself rather than just being told to, like, go fetch ten of those things. We didn’t want to – and we don’t do – that kind of stuff.

When we first started we made a completely open level and we went completely in the wrong direction with it. We had to reel it back in… we had to go back in the other direction and see where the line was. Then we found ourselves removing too much of that open feel. It was a back and forth for so long, of us just iterating to try to figure out the right balance. At the end of the day, I think if we had gone completely open world that maybe there’s some formula that we could’ve found, eventually. But I certainly think that it would’ve been a larger shock to the system, for ourselves, and for our fans. With the formula that we have now, we found a way to contain a story arc and progression through these big open areas that is very well defined.

EA: Single player games are dying

4A: hold my bear

if it is longer than 2033 and last light combine. it will be 25 hour game max. in a age when many developers abondning SP in favor of MP. 4A are the one that is saving us.

this game will save gaming.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

That makes about what, 12 hours of gameplay? Oh wait, the cutscenes too. ;)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Sick burn brah, sick sick sick.

-

But yea, this is a wait-and-see. Not too hyped, but not writing it off either.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

SP has been already been saved.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

-

previous both metro games are fairly decent length. they were 8 to 12 hour SP with excellent story. if longer than both combine. it will be roughly 25 hour long. almost at Stalker length.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

-

previous both metro games are fairly decent length. they were 8 to 12 hour SP with excellent story. if longer than both combine. it will be roughly 25 hour long. almost at Stalker length.

Main issue I had was the overuse of scripting. It gives the game a sense of artificiality compared to Stalker, which comparatively feels like a world that wouldn't care if you were playing i.e. immersion.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

Souce

We’re looking at a total playtime of both previous games combined. In terms of geographical footprint, as we have moved to these more open areas, we can fit pretty much the entirety of the first two games (in terms of footprint) into just one of our huge levels. The last two games came in at about 12GB each, and we’re struggling to fit Metro Exodus onto a single Blu-ray. This is a massive step up for the studio.

It’s not like we have a sign up on the screen that says go here, do this, fetch that. We still try to integrate everything naturally… there is all sorts of stuff that you can just come across naturally and explore for yourself rather than just being told to, like, go fetch ten of those things. We didn’t want to – and we don’t do – that kind of stuff.

When we first started we made a completely open level and we went completely in the wrong direction with it. We had to reel it back in… we had to go back in the other direction and see where the line was. Then we found ourselves removing too much of that open feel. It was a back and forth for so long, of us just iterating to try to figure out the right balance. At the end of the day, I think if we had gone completely open world that maybe there’s some formula that we could’ve found, eventually. But I certainly think that it would’ve been a larger shock to the system, for ourselves, and for our fans. With the formula that we have now, we found a way to contain a story arc and progression through these big open areas that is very well defined.

in an age of templated open world games all sharing the same fundamental mechanics that sounds like a breath of fresh air tbh. fingers crossed

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

-

Main issue I had was the overuse of scripting. It gives the game a sense of artificiality compared to Stalker, which comparatively feels like a world that wouldn't care if you were playing i.e. immersion.

whatever.

it save gaming. thats all matters.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

-

whatever.

Sadly, Resident Evil 2 will save gaming more.

Leon Kennedy is a hero. Claire Redfield as well, I guess.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-

whatever.

Sadly, Resident Evil 2 will save gaming more.

Leon Kennedy is a hero. Claire Redfield as well, I guess.

done 20 years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I always like developers going for a more emergent approach rather than a traditional "follow the icon" one. Hope they manage to pull it off.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@phbz said:

I always like developers going for a more emergent approach rather than a traditional "follow the icon" one. Hope they manage to pull it off.

The previous Metro games have a "follow the corridor" routine. You don't even need an icon to direct you because there is nowhere else to go. Just follow where the corridors take you. I really hope Exodus is better.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Hmmm, ok... although a longer game isn't necessarily a good thing.

But I like what I'm hearing about no "fetch-quests".

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#14 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Doesn't mean it will be good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I decided yesterday that I now have a zero tolerance stance on nipples in games.

This has a nipple so no buy.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

TC I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@princessgomez92 said:

but will be better than tomb raider.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#18 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@princessgomez92 said:

but will be better than tomb raider.

No.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

25 hours is a nice length for this type of game

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

-

whatever.

I also hear that you will have to take a gaming exam before you can buy it to prove how hardcore you are.

This will stop those filthy casuals and non-gamers from daring to pretend they are worthy enough.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

It's actually Activision who claims Singleplayer shooters are dead:

* Destiny 2 is an MMO/co-op style game, singleplayer aspect is an afterthought

* Call of Duty's singleplayer mode which people have taken for granted since its debut in 2003, is being dropped in favor of an online Battle Royale style mode

EA is still making a singleplayer campaign for Battlefield V, they made one for Titanfall 2 and they will make one for Respawns Jedi game.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

-

No they wasn't.... I blasted through them quicker then that.

Last light took less time to complete then the fist game.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

No fetch quest is making it more of a day one for me.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

It's actually Activision who claims Singleplayer shooters are dead:

* Destiny 2 is an MMO/co-op style game, singleplayer aspect is an afterthought

* Call of Duty's singleplayer mode which people have taken for granted since its debut in 2003, is being dropped in favor of an online Battle Royale style mode

EA is still making a singleplayer campaign for Battlefield V, they made one for Titanfall 2 and they will make one for Respawns Jedi game.

But EA claim SP games are dead. EAs campain are not worth it. star wars battlefront 2 campain and battlefield campaign are waste of resources.

Titanfall 2 was good thought but EA didnot made it. respawn did. EA butchered it. and now Respawn will make some shitty star wars game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Metro Exodus will be in the top 5 games of next year, hyping it 9+ Thank god Developers like 4A games are on that Single Player train, like literally.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Dear lord can you for once not have a shitty opinion on something?!? How do you know respawns Star Wars game is going to be shitty? Have you seen footage, screenshots, talked with the developers, played the game? No, oh that's right you're just being the obvious troll you always are.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

Souce

if it is longer than 2033 and last light combine. it will be 25 hour game max. in a age when many developers abondning SP in favor of MP. 4A are the one that is saving us.

Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Octopath Traveler, AC Origins, Kingdom Hearts 3, Spider Man, GOW, the list can go on, say hi.

You're truly clueless.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ghosts4ever

@recloud said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Souce

Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Octopath Traveler, AC Origins, Kingdom Hearts 3, Spider Man, GOW, the list can go on, say hi.

You're truly clueless.

Im talking about FPS games...

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@recloud said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Souce

You're truly clueless.

Im talking about FPS games...

This is what you said:

"in a age when many developers abondning SP in favor of MP. 4A are the one that is saving us.

this game will save gaming."

You didn't imply you were talking about fps games.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

There are always fetch quests.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Sounds noice. I don't need much more convincing to get this game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

hold my bear

I knew you were Russian.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

There are always fetch quests.

Yep, just by a different name.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I was hoping that this would be a fully open world RPG, stalker or fallout level would have been amazing with the atmosphere that Metro games have, that said I am aware that it would have been very difficult to do that.

Still a strong 10-15 hour single player FPS game like this is good enough.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I was hoping that this would be a fully open world RPG, stalker or fallout level would have been amazing with the atmosphere that Metro games have, that said I am aware that it would have been very difficult to do that.

No RPG. it would ruined it. i dont want endless dialogues and choices.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Souce

Bear and beer are not pronounced the same.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

No RPG. it would ruined it. i dont want endless dialogues and choices.

Maybe... But we will never no really, plus if any FPS could be turned into a open world FPS RPG Metro is that game.