Mass Effect, Best RPG this gen

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jbz7890
Member since 2004 • 786 Posts
I just finished Mass Effect and i was absolutley stunned. During most of the game i thought it was a very good RPG, but the ending blew me away. This game simply has one of the best stories i have ever seen. The hard work Bioware put into this game is simply amazing. I don't know what GS was thinking when they gave this an 8.5. This game has everything: amazing graphics, terrific sound, innovative combat, and an incredible story. I really think this is one of the best games ever made.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
Bioware is spot on with their story telling. The only thing that made it less then a great experience were the gliches.
mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts
its alright, some parts were a little gay though, like the massively repetitive interior buildings on each planet. I still see oblivion as a lot better than mass effect, and there are some games coming out that i think are gonna be better than mass effect.
mangobear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mangobear
Member since 2006 • 1392 Posts

if mass effect was the best rpg this gen has to offer, then this gen sucks donkey balls

the glitches were too much to ignore, there was no tutorial, the male voice actor sucked, side missions were crap, story wasn't nearly as engaging as I thought it would be... maybe me2 will focus some things, but the game deserved its 8.5

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

I just finished Mass Effect and i was absolutley stunned. During most of the game i thought it was a very good RPG, but the ending blew me away. This game simply has one of the best stories i have ever seen. The hard work Bioware put into this game is simply amazing. I don't know what GS was thinking when they gave this an 8.5. This game has everything: amazing graphics, terrific sound, innovative combat, and an incredible story. I really think this is one of the best games ever made.jbz7890

it helps to read the review.

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts

if mass effect was the best rpg this gen has to offer, then this gen sucks donkey balls

the glitches were too much to ignore, there was no tutorial, the male voice actor sucked, side missions were crap, story wasn't nearly as engaging as I thought it would be... maybe me2 will focus some things, but the game deserved its 8.5

mangobear

lol,a tutorial..... what are you, 10? its not complicated to figure out how a game is played, just glance at the instruction booklet. not every game has to hold hands

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jbz7890

Bioware is spot on with their story telling. The only thing that made it less then a great experience were the gliches.dream431ca

Yeah my teammates shooting at walls was really annoying. Small bugs like this keep it from reaching perfection.

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jbz7890

its alright, some parts were a little gay though, like the massively repetitive interior buildings on each planet. I still see oblivion as a lot better than mass effect, and there are some games coming out that i think are gonna be better than mass effect.mtradr43

Oblivion has been patched to hell though. It had about as many glitches at release. Im surprised that ME hasnt been patched yet.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Persona 3 won RPGOTY. The Witcher won readers RPGOTY.

Have you played either of these two?

xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts

XaosII
I havnt but the Witcher looks good.
Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts
Although Mass Effect was amazing(imo), I don't think it's the best rpg this gen. But it's still very, very good.
blitzkid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 blitzkid1
Member since 2008 • 3952 Posts
The story was decent it wasnt all that the game is a bit overated thec haracters a shallow.
glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts
Persona 3 and Eternal Sonata say no. Don't get me wrong, ME was a great game, but it has some gameplay glitches that stopped it. Actually, it had quite a few setbacks gameplay wise. Still, great game, but certainly not the best RPG. Besides, we still have games like White Knight Story, Fable 2, and FFXIII to look forward to.
kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts
Are the bugs fixed in the PC version with a patch?
Medjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Medjai
Member since 2003 • 3839 Posts

[QUOTE="jbz7890"]I just finished Mass Effect and i was absolutley stunned. During most of the game i thought it was a very good RPG, but the ending blew me away. This game simply has one of the best stories i have ever seen. The hard work Bioware put into this game is simply amazing. I don't know what GS was thinking when they gave this an 8.5. This game has everything: amazing graphics, terrific sound, innovative combat, and an incredible story. I really think this is one of the best games ever made.CaseyWegner

agreed...after two play throughs I feel an 8.5 is more that fair...side missions were not all that interesting (except a few) and most were not worth doing except for XP...take away the side missions and the game is really short...I obv enjoyed the game, as I played thru it twice and as the TC said the game has amazing graphics, terrific sound, (semi)innovative combat, and an incredible story...but all in all it wasn't AAA

I think the second game will be amazing now that the engine is complete and most other things are set...now they can just spruce up the existing formula and just make a truely great game

CelineDion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CelineDion
Member since 2002 • 5972 Posts

Oblivion is a better overall game.

Mass Effect has too many irksome technical glitches, wastes a lot of game space with planets that are frankly quite bland and uninteresting, and doesn't give you enough interesting conversations in which to apply abilities like charm/intimidate.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
i think The Witcher is the best RPG this gen so far. Hopefully, Dragon Age will be very awesome.
jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts
Dunno man.. witcher was damn good. Also there's fallout 3(if it keep its rpg elements) and that looks good as well.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
best rpg i have played so far this gen goes to LO.........i still need to play mass effect though
Saren_Arterius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Saren_Arterius
Member since 2008 • 2979 Posts
I dont take notice of glitches, the story was amazing the character depth was immense and the whole game was great. The only game better is oblivion.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
I dont take notice of glitches, the story was amazing the character depth was immense and the whole game was great. The only game better is oblivion.Saren_Arterius
i think oblivion was pure trash compared to marrowind =)
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
IMO, the Witcher was better.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

I just finished Mass Effect and i was absolutley stunned. During most of the game i thought it was a very good RPG, but the ending blew me away. This game simply has one of the best stories i have ever seen. The hard work Bioware put into this game is simply amazing. I don't know what GS was thinking when they gave this an 8.5. This game has everything: amazing graphics, terrific sound, innovative combat, and an incredible story. I really think this is one of the best games ever made.jbz7890

It's the best RPG this gen only because it's the ONLY decent RPG this gen.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

Oblivion is a better overall game.

Mass Effect has too many irksome technical glitches, wastes a lot of game space with planets that are frankly quite bland and uninteresting, and doesn't give you enough interesting conversations in which to apply abilities like charm/intimidate.

CelineDion

Oblivion was a waste of developmental effort.

Mass Effect was at least a decent game. Nowhere near the greatest WRPG ever (Fallout, Torment, and BG2 have that wrapped up). Not even the greatest WRPG of the last two generations (KotOR). But it's good enough.

Oblivion was just....crap.

I mean.....crap.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
Best rpgs this gen = Lost Odyssey, The Witcher and Mass Effect are my personal favs
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
That would be pretty sad if it was the best RPG this gen. IT simply won't be. IT wasn't good enough.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts
It's one of the greatest RPGs out there, no doubt, but certainly not the best. I actually agree with Gamespot's score on this one.
Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cute_Red_Panda
Member since 2008 • 1734 Posts

[QUOTE="jbz7890"]I just finished Mass Effect and i was absolutley stunned. During most of the game i thought it was a very good RPG, but the ending blew me away. This game simply has one of the best stories i have ever seen. The hard work Bioware put into this game is simply amazing. I don't know what GS was thinking when they gave this an 8.5. This game has everything: amazing graphics, terrific sound, innovative combat, and an incredible story. I really think this is one of the best games ever made.CaseyWegner

What!? No argument from gameranking?

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

XaosII

To bad Persona 3 isn't "this generation", albeit I love The Witcher and that one counts as this generation. The Witcher is great, but I really enjoyed the fast paced action in Mass Effect. Design wise I think with the right tweaks to it's overall package that ME could stand head and shoulders above most RPG titles.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Eh, that goes to the Witcher. The main problems of mass effect was so much of it was repeated, you'd feel deja vu so often where ever you went.
stillmatic-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 stillmatic-
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts

It's in my top 3 for all the games I own for the 360

Best RPG I've ever played-and I've played quite a few.

iLiveBy2words

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iLiveBy2words
Member since 2005 • 550 Posts
Persona 3 is definitely better.
bg_solidsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bg_solidsnake
Member since 2006 • 154 Posts
Until FFXIII is here
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Persona 3 is definitely better.iLiveBy2words

Persona 3 isn't in the same generation. :|

Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
I am waiting for the PC version to play.I really love all the RPG created by bioware.all of them has fantastic story and very memorable character.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
ME was plagued with tons of technical issues and a short main campaign. I much preferred Witcher with its flushed out story. It also had an Umbrae Canarum morality system, and wasn't so black and white.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

[QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]Persona 3 is definitely better.-RPGamer-

Persona 3 isn't in the same generation. :|

Generation goes by time period, and it was released current gen :|

TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#41 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts
I'd say Oblivion is the best RPG this gen by a mile.
niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 niall077
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts
oblivion is better.... by MILES
Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Haee
Member since 2006 • 1378 Posts

I did a flip coin toss a while back in deciding what to get Witcher vs Masseffect. I got the Witcher and unsurprisingly loved every minute of it and than quickly moved to Mass Effect.

Both the Witcher and Mass Effect offer a great experience that I just cant pick one over the other.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

i don't think it is the best rpg.

However, its rare to hear lemmings admit that the best rpg of this gen will be best on PC.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17858 Posts
it was a great game but personally i prefer the witcher overall.
manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
the withcer and lost odyssey were better imo
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

the withcer and lost odyssey were better imomanny280

Mass effect was incredible, but th more I play lost odyssey the more I love it. Those bosses are effing difficult though.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="jbz7890"]I just finished Mass Effect and i was absolutley stunned. During most of the game i thought it was a very good RPG, but the ending blew me away. This game simply has one of the best stories i have ever seen. The hard work Bioware put into this game is simply amazing. I don't know what GS was thinking when they gave this an 8.5. This game has everything: amazing graphics, terrific sound, innovative combat, and an incredible story. I really think this is one of the best games ever made.Cute_Red_Panda

What!? No argument from gameranking?

why would i? :|

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts

repetitive interiors, lifeless planets and dull side quests, throw in some long loading times and it does become tedious.

other than this the game is top-notch i only hope the sequel improves on the side-quests and planets, it kind of makes the world your supposedly exploring feel small if every planet has the same building, same layout only with a different colour scheme.

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
Mass Effect is really unappealing to me, mainly because of the dialogue. For me, Oblivion had the perfect mix of dialogue and gameplay. Judging by what I've seen of the game, Mass Effect almost seems more like an interactive movie than a cinematic game.