MAG 256 players online can only be done on PS3

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mgsfan1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mgsfan1189
Member since 2009 • 213 Posts

I was just reading the latest GI and it talks about Mag the graphics are amazing especially noting that's going to contain 256 players :D this game is a dream come true

Playstation strikes gold once again it's getting more new great IPS in top of old ones.

The creator in the magazine said that it took the power of the cell to create the game meaning it can't be done on 360.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Ok, ignoring your "power of the cell" comment (which did make me chuckle), i'm really hyped for this game regardless of if it's possible on another platform. It's an exclusive, nuff said.

Any game made by the original creators of Socom (Zipper didn't make Confrontation) is gold in my book. Not only that i'm hearing that it's NOT an MMO. There is no persistent world so it's essentially dedicated servers put up (like most games nowadays) that run 256 players. So no monthly fee. I'm hoping that's correct.

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

Score for the PS3

To many people online at once TBH, just my opinion.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

ZIpper is golden. I'm sold. But spare me the "it can only be done on..." nonsense. It can only be done on the PS3 because Sony owns Zipper.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
So MAG can't be done on the PC? I knew it, the PC sucks.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
So MAG can't be done on the PC? I knew it, the PC sucks.Floppy_Jim
It doesn't have the power the cell, that's why it can't be done on PC, LOL.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Yeah.....all the time an exclusive comes to the PS3 its "only possible on the PS3 because the power of the cell"! For some reason when it goes multiplat it looks better on the "weak" 360. Magic :o

mgsfan1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mgsfan1189

Yeah.....all the time an exclusive comes to the PS3 its "only possible on the PS3 because the power of the cell"! For some reason when it goes multiplat it looks better on the "weak" 360. Magic :o

PAL360

there are specific games designed for the PS3 platform taking advantage of the PS3's capabilities which are different then 360 meaning it can't be done on 360

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I don't care whether it could be done on the 360/PC/Amiga, just tell me if there'll be a monthly fee or not.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Puckhog04

PAL360

Well, for the record, there are many internal Sony studios deving PS3 exclusives. Zipper is one of them. There is zero chance of this going multiplat. Regardless of whether or not it's "the powah of the Cell", it just won't.

I know you were speaking generally (though most PS3 exclusives don't go multiplat) but I wanted to clarify anyway. ;)

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I don't care whether it could be done on the 360/PC/Amiga, just tell me if there'll be a monthly fee or not.

PBSnipes
Exactly. If so, pass for me.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Honestly, I don't want to play an FPS with 256 people. This is a gigantic pass for me.

Erik_Lensherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Erik_Lensherr
Member since 2008 • 1340 Posts

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

mgsfan1189

there are specific games designed for the PS3 platform taking advantage of the PS3's capabilities which are different then 360 meaning it can't be done on 360

If you think there is some magic power the ps3 posesses you are misinformed and have no idea how ps'c\computers work. This game could easily be done on pc\360, don't kid yourself.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

PBSnipes
probably. They would need a lot of dedicated server if it's free, making the game cost horrible. On the pc, this is not a problem, since people pay their servers
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

mgsfan1189

Doesnt mean one is more powerfull than the other! Its the same as saying that PS3 cant run Gears2 just because unreal engine 3.5 was designed considering 360 arquitecture...

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

Puckhog04

Well, for the record, there are many internal Sony studios deving PS3 exclusives. Zipper is one of them. There is zero chance of this going multiplat. Regardless of whether or not it's "the powah of the Cell", it just won't.

I know you were speaking generally (though most PS3 exclusives don't go multiplat) but I wanted to clarify anyway. ;)

Maybe the 3rd party ones like MGS4 and Heavy Rain :P

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

PAL360

One can hope (if they're a 360 only owner) i suppose. Both are PS3 exclusive though. A big reason both are exclusive to PS3 is Bluray as well as some Sony funding. I don't see either going to 360. But, hey, one can hope. ;)

I think Heavy Rain was considered first as a multiplat title and then that idea was ditched to make it a PS3 exclusive. I wouldn't hold my breath on any of them. Most are published by Sony or Developed by an internal studio (of which they have alot of).

NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts
PC could, though. They have MMO's with more players than that. But the 360 has nothing like that.
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
TEH CELLLL!!!!!111 Anyways, that's too many people. I think that 64 people is too much, how am I suppose to tolerate this lol...
mgsfan1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mgsfan1189

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

PAL360

don't get your hopes up I personally doubt MGS4 could be done on 360 and if it could it would need like 4 or 5 dvds and Kojimawon't make this game for 360 there no chance maybe a new ip.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

I stopped caring about the 'power of the cell' crap for far too long, but this game sure seems interesting. We need to see it in action in E3.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
this was just what i was going to say
mgsfan1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mgsfan1189

TEH CELLLL!!!!!111 Anyways, that's too many people. I think that 64 people is too much, how am I suppose to tolerate this lol...SMR-Venom

I heard it's going to be squad based where a small teams of 5 or 6 go to control ground they want to mimmick real life wars it should be really cool :D I am excited but yea I hope they have no monthly fee but if it's worth it and the game gets good reviews I will probably pay a fee if it's cheap.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
if Tribes could do 128 players back in 1998, i'm sure the 360 (and of course pc) can do 256 players in 2009. all that is needed is for a company to pay for the servers.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

Score for the PS3

-Oath
Nope, the huge maps for the game will prevent things from getting too crowded. 256 players, but it won't be a crowded mess like a full 60 player match in Resistance 2 was... On topic, it was a good preview of the game. I think MAG will be a great game....as long as it doesn't LAG lol
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="-Oath"]

Score for the PS3

Doolz2024
Nope, the huge maps for the game will prevent things from getting too crowded. 256 players, but it won't be a crowded mess like a full 60 player match in Resistance 2 was... On topic, it was a good preview of the game. I think MAG will be a great game....as long as it doesn't LAG lol

Large scale games always get kinda crowded, and whats worse you have to run like a maniac to find people half the time. Can't say I'm really interested this type of gameplay anymore. Was fun the first time i played planet side but gets old fast.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Doolz2024
I think when they say "can only be done on PS3" I think they mean on other consoles, mainly the 360. I don't believe the PC is in the discussion. I wonder if the Wii could handle it? lol
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19604 Posts

I think Heavy Rain was considered first as a multiplat title and then that idea was ditched to make it a PS3 exclusive. I wouldn't hold my breath on any of them. Most are published by Sony or Developed by an internal studio (of which they have alot of).

Puckhog04

It was being developed as a multiplat title, then Sony decided to publish it.

Anyway, yeah, why do developers even bother to say this stuff anymore? Does anyone take them seriously?

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Doolz2024
[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="-Oath"]

Score for the PS3

savagetwinkie

Large scale games always get kinda crowded, and whats worse you have to run like a maniac to find people half the time. Can't say I'm really interested this type of gameplay anymore. Was fun the first time i played planet side but gets old fast.

I'm 99% sure the maps will be big enough to prevent that.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

mgsfan1189

don't get your hopes up I personally doubt MGS4 could be done on 360 and if it could it would need like 4 or 5 dvds and Kojimawon't make this game for 360 there no chance maybe a new ip.

I played MGS4 on my friends house. A great game but the only 3rd party game i regret not having a PS3 in Heavy Rain.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

so because it has 256 players it can only be done on the ps3? didnt resistance2 have like 60 players but you didnt see all the players at once in the same screen it was broken up into sections i have a feeling thats what theyll do with mag. have 256 players but theyre spread out in sections and you wont see all 256 players and im pretty sure when you break it down in sections like that other consoles can do that easily

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]Nope, the huge maps for the game will prevent things from getting too crowded. 256 players, but it won't be a crowded mess like a full 60 player match in Resistance 2 was... On topic, it was a good preview of the game. I think MAG will be a great game....as long as it doesn't LAG lol

If they are big it doesn't matter, if people converge onto one location, which is what happens alot of the times you still have that, theres too many people feeling. THe only game that really did it well imo so far was the battle field games, because they gave command of the squads to the player. I don't like it when they have an ai doing it like they did in resistance 2, feels like it takes away from the game and your ability to think for yourself or as a group.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
am i the only one willing to pay for this. its zipper i at least have to try it
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

[QUOTE="-Oath"]

Score for the PS3

Doolz2024

Nope, the huge maps for the game will prevent things from getting too crowded. 256 players, but it won't be a crowded mess like a full 60 player match in Resistance 2 was...

Ahhhh, ok, that was my main worry.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Planeforger

It was being developed as a multiplat title, then Sony decided to publish it.

Anyway, yeah, why do developers even bother to say this stuff anymore? Does anyone take them seriously?

Ah ok. Yea i thought it was something like that. I had the general idea anyway. :)

Agreed. Devs saying certain stuff such as this just looks...well...stupid. If the Dev did in fact say it. The guy doesn't provide a link to the quote so, frankly, i question it. Who knows though.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts

Zipper was great with the socom games how i'm really interested to see their take on an FPS hopefull the gameplay is balanced and everyone doesn't just coverge one one point in the map

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Puckhog04

am i the only one willing to pay for this. its zipper i at least have to try itriver_rat3117

I'd pay a little for it. I'd just get rid of my WoW subscription and switch it to this. I rarely play WoW anymore anyway. :)

Zipper, as you said, would put me over the edge. Such a great Dev. I have to play it.

Generalmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Generalmojo
Member since 2008 • 3670 Posts

This game will flop, qoute me on this

(nono dont qoute me, mojo is stupid, dont listen to him)

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
am i the only one willing to pay for this. its zipper i at least have to try itriver_rat3117
how much are you willing to pay? i would pay too because its zipper but i never paid to play online for previous zipper games
lancer_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lancer_87
Member since 2009 • 440 Posts

Whats the point here ? The 360 couldnt even handle 10 players in Gears of War 2.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]Nope, the huge maps for the game will prevent things from getting too crowded. 256 players, but it won't be a crowded mess like a full 60 player match in Resistance 2 was... On topic, it was a good preview of the game. I think MAG will be a great game....as long as it doesn't LAG lol

The problem isn't map size, it's teamwork and communication. It's hard enough to organize and work as a team in Killzone 2, so imagine how much of a cluster**** a game with 8 times as many players could be.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PAL360

so because it has 256 players it can only be done on the ps3? didnt resistance2 have like 60 players but you didnt see all the players at once in the same screen it was broken up into sections i have a feeling thats what theyll do with mag. have 256 players but theyre spread out in sections and you wont see all 256 players and im pretty sure when you break it down in sections like that other consoles can do that easily

_SWAG_

I dont know about those but in Frontlines on 360 you see all 50 players at once in the same screen :P

mgsfan1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mgsfan1189

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] Large scale games always get kinda crowded, and whats worse you have to run like a maniac to find people half the time. Can't say I'm really interested this type of gameplay anymore. Was fun the first time i played planet side but gets old fast.savagetwinkie

If they are big it doesn't matter, if people converge onto one location, which is what happens alot of the times you still have that, theres too many people feeling. THe only game that really did it well imo so far was the battle field games, because they gave command of the squads to the player. I don't like it when they have an ai doing it like they did in resistance 2, feels like it takes away from the game and your ability to think for yourself or as a group.

it's squad based like a real life war were it will contain teams of 5 or 6 to take ground from enemy teams and other such cts it won't be a mess they are taking care of the details.

PS3nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PS3nut
Member since 2007 • 515 Posts

I was just reading the latest GI and it talks about Mag the graphics are amazing especially noting that's going to contain 256 players :D this game is a dream come true

Playstation strikes gold once again it's getting more new great IPS in top of old ones.

The creator in the magazine said that it took the power of the cell to create the game meaning it can't be done on 360.

mgsfan1189

Okay so let me get this straight, your happy and bragging about 256 players that will be able to be in an online shooting match all at once, is that right ? So your excited about dying at the exact moment you keep respawning ? Since that's what it will basically be like when theres that many players in one match, people even complained that Resistance 2 was way too hectic. That's why 16 to 32 players per match is more than enough otherwise you'll be dying instantly, even in team based matches, so i wouldn't look forward to it too much if i were you.

lancer_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lancer_87
Member since 2009 • 440 Posts
[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]Nope, the huge maps for the game will prevent things from getting too crowded. 256 players, but it won't be a crowded mess like a full 60 player match in Resistance 2 was... On topic, it was a good preview of the game. I think MAG will be a great game....as long as it doesn't LAG lol

The problem isn't map size, it's teamwork and communication. It's hard enough to organize and work as a team in Killzone 2, so imagine how much of a cluster**** a game with 8 times as many players could be.

There are squads for serious people.Although most of them are just time passers and no one gives a damn about teamwork.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
[QUOTE="river_rat3117"]am i the only one willing to pay for this. its zipper i at least have to try it_SWAG_
how much are you willing to pay? i would pay too because its zipper but i never paid to play online for previous zipper games

i dont know maybe $3 a month would be ok with me. even if it was $15 a month id still get one month just to try it. but hopefully sony understands most wont pay, and that it would be the downfall of the game if we had to
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] Large scale games always get kinda crowded, and whats worse you have to run like a maniac to find people half the time. Can't say I'm really interested this type of gameplay anymore. Was fun the first time i played planet side but gets old fast.savagetwinkie

There were Choke points in Battlefield games as well. Yes, that's what they're referred to as, Choke points. Resistance 2 had them and they were instinctively formed by whoever was leading the squads in R2. Granted, usually when you got to the choke points in R2 it just became a cluster of grenades and bullets. But, then again, if you were smart (like myself) you would flank and pick them off with the sniper and thin out their numbers from the side/back. :)

I'd personally much rather have choke points in a multiplayer shooter than the feeling of driving for 5 minutes in a buggy, finally seeing someone, and then dying. Then recycling it over again until you got into a base. Battlefield Bad Company (own it on PS3) got rid of this to a degree with the destruction gameplay and a bit smaller maps. But even then some maps had that feeling...and that was only 24 players online, not 64.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PAL360

Whats the point here ? The 360 couldnt even handle 10 players in Gears of War 2.

lancer_87

Right :roll:

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Doolz2024

This isn't going to be a run and gun type of game. It's going to be more of a tactical, squad based game. If you want to survive for any length of time at all, you'll probably want to take cover with your squadmates, then take out enemy players from distance.

I doubt this game will turn out to be the way you're thinking it will be...doubtful ALL players will head to one location on a map, since (according to the GI preview) each 8 man squad for a team will have a specific objective to complete, which is critical to the rest of the team's success. As long as players do what they're supposed to do, everything will be fine.