Looks like the original Command & Conquer games are getting remasters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Here's a post on the Command & Conquer subreddit:

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

My name is Jim Vessella, and I’m a Producer at Electronic Arts. Ten years ago I had the pleasure of being on the production team for Command & Conquer 3 and Red Alert 3, along with being the Lead Producer on Kane’s Wrath. During those years, some of my favorite moments were interacting with our passionate community, whether at our onsite Community Summits, on the forums, or while attending various events such as Gamescom.

As most of you may know, we recently announced Command & Conquer: Rivals, a mobile game set in the Command & Conquer universe. Following the reveal of Rivals, we heard you loud and clear: the Command & Conquer community also wants to see the franchise return to PC. And as a fan of C&C for over 20 years, I couldn’t agree more. With that in mind we’ve been exploring some exciting ideas regarding remastering the classic PC games, and already have the ball rolling on our first effort to celebrate the upcoming 25th Year Anniversary.

We are eager to hear your feedback to help influence our current thoughts for PC and what comes next. Over the next few weeks we’ll be talking to fans in a variety of ways. In the meantime, please share your thoughts here on the subreddit.

As a long time C&C fan and developer, I am just as passionate about the C&C franchise as you are, and look forward to hearing your thoughts as they help us shape the future of C&C at EA!

Thanks!

Jim Vessella

Jimtern

Makes sense. Apparently, Microsoft have been selling their Age of Empires remasters like hotcakes. Only natural EA would get in on the act too.

EA are still not going to get a cent from me until 2019 at the earliest, but this is still interesting news.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

As long as it doesn't end up disappointing like the HD remaster of HoMM 3

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Command And Conquer was never really about graphics, so i'm not really sure how they would remaster it. Majority look fine. Red Alert 3 in particularly has a timeless quality.

I guess if they package them together with updated MP, akin to Street Fighter 30th, it could be good?

But it's Electronic Arts. Something. Always something.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

If they remaster Red Alert 2 it'll really be difficult to get me off my PC when that comes out.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I will take the one they released on the Sega Saturn. Not overly into RTS games but loved that game.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

I will take the one they released on the Sega Saturn. Not overly into RTS games but loved that game.

It was literally just a PC version with worse graphics and controls. Maybe you're more into RTS games than you realize.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Hopefully they don't just slap a coat of paint on them. Their visuals hold up fine enough, and it's more the interface side of things that's awkward by modern standards. Oh, please don't get rid of the amazingly campy FMV

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Hopefully they don't just slap a coat of paint on them. Their visuals hold up fine enough, and it's more the interface side of things that's awkward by modern standards. Oh, please don't get rid of the amazingly campy FMV

mmm, not really.

Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge aren't much "newer" but they're the CNC games that hold up wayyyy better than anything else released around that era. Helps that they were some of the first 2.5D RTS games too. Which, imo, is perfect for the overall genre anyways. Because 2D CNC did not age well, at all.

And the cheesy FMV campaign was miles better than....whatever they were trying to accomplish with the CNC Generals Campaign.

So RA2 has an edge over most stuff that came before and after it. CNC3 is the only real exception, but that's far too "modern" to really bring up in such a comparison anyways.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

I'm so sick and tired of remasters. Lazy crap developers are putting out this gen.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#10 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

If only EA released the original versions free like Blizzard did Starcraft with the remaster.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Don’t worry, each new unit you build will be a micro transaction I’m sure.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@HavocV3: i don't understand what you are arguing. I was playing RA2 last weekend. I find the graphics are still charming but the interface is dated. That's my opinion

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

If only EA released the original versions free like Blizzard did Starcraft with the remaster.

The CnC collection has been on sale of Origin a couple of times.

It was a few years back, but from what I can remember it was a legitimately good deal, among a sea of massively overpriced shit.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@nintendoboy16: they did. They gave Red Alert 2 away a year or so ago

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@R10nu: Nah as i have played the other C&C games and didn't like them that much, and not a Halo Wars fan, but hadn't really played a lot of that to make an informed decision.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

EA doesn't know what they want to do with this franchise;

To me it seems like they aren't willing to invest more than 5 bucks into a PC exclusive C&C.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

They did that long before Blizzard.(They released the freeware version of the first 2 when CnC 4 was released)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Command and Conquer already runs fine on PC, why remaster?

C'mon EA, don't kill the C&C games that are still good; you already killed the series off with C&C 4 and by taking it to a browser/mobile level.

@R4gn4r0k said:

EA doesn't know what they want to do with this franchise;

To me it seems like they aren't willing to invest more than 5 bucks into a PC exclusive C&C.

I would still like to see C&C Renegade 2, and another classic Tiberium universe installment.

@xantufrog said:

@HavocV3: i don't understand what you are arguing. I was playing RA2 last weekend. I find the graphics are still charming but the interface is dated. That's my opinion

Voxels FTW!

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It'll be half as3ed remaster with clunky UI.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#20 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

No thanks, would rather play Call of Duty Black Ops 4.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

Must be that time for EA to exhume some long lost graves...

So they gonna charge people for games that's free to play for i don't know how many years now....

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I'm not convinced EA can control it's studios well enough to produce a good product at all.

The last good game EA published was... ????? Probably something that was almost finished when EA acquired the studio.

Hell give it a shot - I used to love C&C games. I won't be surprised when it's shitty slap in the face to fans, though.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

This will have

A. A $60 price tag for a 20 year old game when there are C&C fan made projects like OpenRA

B. Microtransactions

and

C. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if it even has loot boxes

I am all for a proper remastered version of one of the most iconic strategy series and as a huge fan of C&C especially red alert 1 and 2 i hope EA dont screw it up but i wouldnt hold my breath over EA delivering what fans want

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Hope they do somethign about fixing the godawful UI.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I bought the c&c collection for 9.99 you get every c&c game ever made, only thing I own on origins

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I'd love it if they remade Red Alert 3 with bigger maps, and a more traditional ore collection mechanic.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#28 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Update:

@appariti0n said:

Don’t worry, each new unit you build will be a micro transaction I’m sure.

@adamosmaki said:

This will have

A. A $60 price tag for a 20 year old game when there are C&C fan made projects like OpenRA

B. Microtransactions

and

C. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if it even has loot boxes

I am all for a proper remastered version of one of the most iconic strategy series and as a huge fan of C&C especially red alert 1 and 2 i hope EA dont screw it up but i wouldnt hold my breath over EA delivering what fans want

Nope:

Thanks for the post, Electrifyer. We will not be adding any microtransactions to a C&C Remaster.

-Jim Vessella, EA Producer

Also:

You tell us! Would you want to see updated balancing or a more robust UI? For example, would you want to see the C&C3 style tabs and unit selection sidebar in one of the classic games?

-Jim Vessella, EA Producer

Hmm. Maybe, just maybe, they might be putting some real effort into this after all. Maybe.

As I said, the Age of Empires remasters sold like crazy for Microsoft. I'm not surprised one bit that EA noticed.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xantufrog  Moderator

@madrocketeer: I agree. Although a note about the AoE remasters - the AoEII one wasn't done by MS, and AoE:DE has serious problems. They took 3 steps forward but 2 steps back with AoE:DE. But that's Microsoft's problem - EA's team could easily do a fine job with this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts
@xantufrog said:

@madrocketeer: I agree. Although a note about the AoE remasters - the AoEII one wasn't done by MS, and AoE:DE has serious problems. They took 3 steps forward but 2 steps back with AoE:DE. But that's Microsoft's problem - EA's team could easily do a fine job with this.

What don't you like about AOE: DE ?

I see a lot of potential in the Forgotten Empires team, eventhough they are not without flaws. And I'm certainly looking forward to an Age 2: DE.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

ill be happy for it just for bringing servers back, cant play multiplayer in any of the cnc games, community is pretty dead