Looking back... adding Bluray probably wasnt the smartest idea

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for xnacommunityxna
xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xnacommunityxna
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

think about it.... when the Playstation 3 was first released it cost WAY too much if the Bluray wasnt included then it would have brought down the price significantly. its 2010 and no game has even come close to harnessing the full potential of bluray discs (except maybe final fantasy, which could have been put on two discs).....

the better idea would have been to wait until next gen to include it.... do you agree SW?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
BluRay is the only thing saving the PS3 right now.
ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

Bluray was the reason why most people bought a PS3 when it first came out. I think it was a really smart decision for Sony and set them up to win the format war.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Blu-ray is one of the things helping Sony sell the PS3. Also it is nice to see devs taken advantage of all that extra space on the disc.

RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

Actually alot of people bought the PS3 just for Blu-Ray. And even now when someone is looking to buy either a 360 or PS3, Blu Ray will sway some people over to the PS3 side. Not to mention without PS3 Blu-Ray probably would've lost the format war, or atleast HD-DVD would still be in the fight.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

what? you mean playing Movies in Full 1080p isn't a good idea? HA-AH!

Longcat2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Longcat2
Member since 2008 • 924 Posts

Didn't I see a thread with this exact same title like a week ago?

But on topic, at least I don't have to buy a blu ray player now :D

Sandallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sandallman
Member since 2009 • 408 Posts
No. B/C is what cost the PS3 so much.
Panosola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Panosola
Member since 2006 • 2150 Posts
BluRay is the only thing saving the PS3 right now.KHAndAnime
I agree with this.Most of the 27 million PS3 owners only have buy the PS3 because of the Blu-Ray.
sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

it may have seemed rediculous and expensive but imo deserved to win the format war. if the ps3 didnt promote blu ray im positive hd dvd would still exist and still be a format war, which was annoying. im glad one of the got killed off early to stop it. some ps3 games take advantage of blu rays which is a good thing and im very happy i forked out for it as it was the cheapest blu ray player and one of the best besides the ever faster disk read speeds in players now days. its still a good base blu ray player today. without it we wouldnt have as much wide spread hd movies and now that the format war is over alot of blu rays are cheaper. most release at half the price they used to unless you go to really expensive stores and most older titles go for a third of what they did when first released. it is definately slowly taking over dvd as everything moves to hd. im very happy with blu ray.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jasonharris48

No. B/C is what cost the PS3 so much.Sandallman
I do not think BCcost more than adding a Blu-ray drive.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="Sandallman"]No. B/C is what cost the PS3 so much.jasonharris48

Yeah since the "BluRay player" costs the same as a Xbox 360 and can play all of the same multiplat games the 360 has.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

It's production cost consistently reduced year over year and it prevented a massive Asian piracy community that have plagued the last two playstations.

Personally the only negative effect BR has on PS3 is the slower drive.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Sandallman"]No. B/C is what cost the PS3 so much.LegatoSkyheart

Yeah since the "BluRay player" costs the same as a Xbox 360 and can play all of the same multiplat games the 360 has.

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass about it. I know how mucha PS3 cost BTW. I just didn't think adding BC was all that expensive. Also why bring up the 360?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LegatoSkyheart

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass about it. I know how a PS3 cost BTW. I just didn't think adding BC was all that expensive. Also why bring up the 360?

jasonharris48

That's my fault my friend I mis-read your post and was being butt hurt about it.

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

think about it.... when the Playstation 3 was first released it cost WAY too much if the Bluray wasnt included then it would have brought down the price significantly. its 2010 and no game has even come close to harnessing the full potential of bluray discs (except maybe final fantasy, which could have been put on two discs).....

the better idea would have been to wait until next gen to include it.... do you agree SW?

xnacommunityxna
Guess you forgot MGS4 huh?
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

It was only tough in the beginning but now price is low as the other consoles. I dont know if they filled the disc in any game yet but it is nice to not be limited by disc-space like 360.

awuilfj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 awuilfj
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts

xnacommunityxna
It was a really bad move for them, i guess i will now watch a blu-ray movie i bought on a 360...oh wait.
Avatar image for BloodSeeker1337
BloodSeeker1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BloodSeeker1337
Member since 2009 • 1278 Posts
Actually. Have Blu-Ray On PS3 makes it invulnerable for hackers to hack :)
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="xnacommunityxna"]

Warriorboy1990

Naughty Dog took advantage of the Blu-ray disc too when developing Uncharted 2 and so is QD when it comes toHeavy Rain. I'm pretty sure Poly is taking advantage of the disc for GT5 (all the cars that game has)

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Warriorboy1990

[QUOTE="Warriorboy1990"][QUOTE="xnacommunityxna"]

jasonharris48

Naughty Dog took advantage of the Blu-ray disc too when developing Uncharted 2 and so is QD when it comes toHeavy Rain. I'm pretty sure Poly is taking advantage of the disc for GT5 (all the cars that game has)

Really? How big was Uncharted 2? MGS4 was like 49gb big, I think.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Warriorboy1990"]Guess you forgot MGS4 huh?Warriorboy1990

I think U2 was about 25-30 gigs. One of the devs stated it in an IGN interview.

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Warriorboy1990

[QUOTE="Warriorboy1990"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"] Naughty Dog took advantage of the Blu-ray disc too when developing Uncharted 2 and so is QD when it comes toHeavy Rain. I'm pretty sure Poly is taking advantage of the disc for GT5 (all the cars that game has)

jasonharris48

Ah nice, not too bad.
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

Wait, how wasn't Blu-Ray a good idea? Not only is it the only thing keeping it the 360 in terms of sales right now but it also won Sony the format war which for them was a big enough on its own, even if the PS3 was going to fail because of it.

Domobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Domobomb
Member since 2004 • 1914 Posts

xnacommunityxna

Dude. The only reason I have a PS3 is because it has a Blu-Ray player.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

It's production cost consistently reduced year over year and it prevented a massive Asian piracy community that have plagued the last two playstations.

Which is either the fastest drive compared to other bluray players or atleast in the top. I've never been bothered by the speed of my PS3, however I have seen a bluray player take 1½-2 minutes to just load a BD - that's slow. >.<
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]BluRay is the only thing saving the PS3 right now.Panosola
I agree with this.Most of the 27 million PS3 owners only have buy the PS3 because of the Blu-Ray.

... How do you know this? :?
Infinity8378

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Infinity8378
Member since 2007 • 237 Posts

Zero Hackers/Pirates is very good right now. So Blu-ray is good in its own way.

icygangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 icygangsta
Member since 2006 • 2897 Posts

[QUOTE="Panosola"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]BluRay is the only thing saving the PS3 right now.NAPK1NS

He was being sarcastic.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Do you have any idea how much money Sony will earn from winning the format war? I sure don't but it's more than what they would get from winning the console war.
Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts
At the time the cheapest blu-ray player around was the PS3, a lot of people just bought it for that. Now though blu-ray players are available at better prices so people wouldn't need to buy a PS3 for it.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

The blu ray format itself proves you wrong.

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts

Blue-Sky

You even mentioned another negative effect it had. A console which initially had such a high price it was market plague. IF the production costs wouldn't have been reduced and more importanly Sony didn't have the financial back-up to sell such a high tech expensive console at such a loss it would never had picked up in terms of sales even in the years it took. Another interesting deciding factor is that the whole reason for this "years to recover" was due to the future proof argument PS3 had. But since they are only just now catching up and they've lost massive amounts of market share I say Sony is in a difficult position. The future for console as we know it is unsafe and they really can't affoard another gamble, they've lost big numbers and hurt their brand (lost several IPs and exclusive ties) this generation. Sony is picking up, but they are far from doing what they should be this generation after a PS2.

dkrustyklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dkrustyklown
Member since 2009 • 2387 Posts

The important question is, however: How useful is Blueray now that people can just stream movies off of the internet for a fraction of the cost (and if you know what you're doing, save them to your HD as well ;)). Netflix, video on demand, Vreel, Hulu, and many other sources are just the beginning. Now that everyone is hooking up (or has the capability to hook up) their PC's to their televisions, the consumer has a plethora of formats to choose from.

Personally, I still like Divx.

Racer850

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Racer850
Member since 2009 • 2293 Posts
Back in 2006 blu-ray was a reason to own a PS3, now in 2010 the PS3 is equal in price with the 360, and with the blu-ray included the PS3 now looks like a must own console.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Warriorboy1990"] Really? How big was Uncharted 2? MGS4 was like 49gb big, I think.Warriorboy1990

Ah nice, not too bad.

MGS was around 32gbs big. On topic:Maybe but it does make buying used PS3 game a lot easier due to the scratch resistant protection Bluray discs have.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
[QUOTE="Panosola"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]BluRay is the only thing saving the PS3 right now.NAPK1NS

Don't bother.
kolkov01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kolkov01
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

Zero Hackers/Pirates is very good right now. So Blu-ray is good in its own way.

Infinity8378

wasn't PSN hacked?

Panosola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Panosola
Member since 2006 • 2150 Posts

At the time the cheapest blu-ray player around was the PS3, a lot of people just bought it for that. Now though blu-ray players are available at better prices so people wouldn't need to buy a PS3 for it.guitarsrock4eva

I agree.Today anyone can buy a Bluray player only for £77.00 - £114.43.

http://www.foundem.co.uk/M/electronics/DVD-Player/Philips/BDP2500.jsp

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"][QUOTE="Panosola"] I agree with this.Most of the 27 million PS3 owners only have buy the PS3 because of the Blu-Ray.icygangsta

He was being sarcastic.

No...no he wasn't.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#42 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
I definitely felt this way back in 07 when the PS3 was struggling, and there was no evidence of any graphical superiority or gameplay superiority resulting from Blu-ray. But there are now a few reasons why it seems like a smart decision in retrospect: 1) Won the HD format wars -- Sony had invested big money in Blu-ray, and their strategy for propagating it was to attach it to the Playstation 3 brand. As a result, Blu-ray sales consistently beat out HD-DVD by 2:1 or 3:1 margins, and now Blu-ray is the next gen video format. It may be the last disc format before digital distribution completely takes over, but there's still a lot of profit to be made. 2) The games are clearly better now -- Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, FFXIII, Heavy Rain. All examples of games that seem impossible to do on the 360, or at least can only be done with multiple discs, which is a pain. Naughty Dog has explicitly stated that Blu-ray was needed to pull off the incredible visuals of Among Thieves. 3) It's more future-proof. The PS3's not maxed out yet, and as developers figure out more creative ways to use the architecture, they know the Blu-ray format will give them room to work with.
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6971 Posts

TC, I agree with you completely for these reasons:

1. BD added at least an incremental $150 over the best available DVD drive at the time, leading to a ridiculous launch price, and massive losses in both profit and market share. All the posts above about why BD early was so great and why people bought the console are pointless...yeah, we lost more money on each one we sold!!! Yippee

2. BD delayed the PS3 launch by at least 6 months, which when combined with #1, allowed the alternative HD console some breathing space

3. The PS3 had no effect on the format wars.The amount of hardware sold was miniscule. BD won the format wars by winning the studios and most of those were wrapped before the PS3 launched and the final ones were wrapped in the PS3 first year/15months when it was doing poorly. Retail sales/consumer decisionshad nothing to do with the victory. I'll say it again slowly....the..PS3..had..no effect..on..the format..wars.

Which leaves more storage space, better security, and scratch proofing....all better from the consumer point of view; but not worth the cost differential early on and not the main decision points/deal makers today. And certainly not, when, ironically, Sony had already made the decision to go with a mandatory HDD, which meant they already had a disk space solution.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61550 Posts

It wasn't? Would Blu-Ray be the decided next generation of disk media if it were not included in PS3? I doubt it.

kolkov01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kolkov01

It wasn't? Would Blu-Ray be the decided next generation of disk media if it were not included in PS3? I doubt it.

lundy86_4
We still have to see whether or not it will beat the DVD before Digital Distribution kicks in
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
Adding Blu-Ray wasn't the bad idea. Adding a slow Blu-Ray drive was the bad idea. The slow drive speeds basically kill the advantages of Blu-Ray. What's the point of putting higher, uncompressed textures when getting said textures off the disc takes EVEN LONGER? MGS4 with it's mandatory installs is just insane and horrible. And before people come and say "KZ2" . . .have you even played KZ2? The game LITERALLY FREEZES to have to load in new textures because you're moving faster than it can stream data off the disc. Oh I guess the small field of view, and movement was ALL design choices, amirite? Please. . .
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61550 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

kolkov01

We still have to see whether or not it will beat the DVD before Digital Distribution kicks in

Digital distribution seems to be much more of a premium when looking the world over. Manycountries lack the infrastructure to maintain anything close to digital distribution for the streaming or downloading of movies and/or games.

Add to that the increased used of bandwidth caps, and the decreased bandwidth limits, and it may take a while to become a real alternative.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

From a buisness standpoint, bluray and cell was what crippled the ps3

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Blu-ray certainly did help the PS3.

kolkov01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kolkov01

[QUOTE="kolkov01"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

Digital distribution seems to be much more of a premium when looking the world over. Manycountries lack the infrastructure to maintain anything close to digital distribution for the streaming or downloading of movies and/or games.

Add to that the increased used of bandwidth caps, and the decreased bandwidth limits, and it may take a while to become a real alternative.

that's true, however Europe, USA and Japan are the 3 most proffitable markets and i'd say that they all posess the necessary infrastructure for digital distribuiton