Looking at some numbers...Sony...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BeeefIsGoood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BeeefIsGoood
Member since 2007 • 1418 Posts

So I was looking at console sales over at http://www.vgchartz.com/, and I was really surprised by how awfully Sony's doing with its PS3 compared to the Wii. According to the site, and as of today, the Wii has sold 51.51 million units, and the PS3 22.96 million. In my opinion, Sony's donig awful, and I see no way that they can be nearly as successful as the PS2 was if its already been three years.

Now my question is, do you guys think that Sony still has a chance? I mean, they've sold LESS THAN HALF compared to much weaker console. I don't mean to just point out that Sony's doing awful in the console race (even though its quite sad honestly), as I don't even own a Wii and don't quite plan on getting one anytime soon, I just wanted to know if you guys still think the PS3 can come back and win the war as much as loyal Sony fans did at the release of the PS3. Sony also seems to be relying on the fact that its console is going to last 10 years, but if I recall correctly, Microsoft said that same thing, and they too are ahead of the PS3, if not by as much.

Now I recall reading something online about PS3 selling near 24 mil units, but thats not much more, so I deem it irrelevant.. And I'm sory if people took offense to this, or if it seems like I'm just writing to bash the PS3, I really have nothing against it, just wanted to see what you guys think. Discuss?

bronxxbombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 bronxxbombers
Member since 2009 • 2840 Posts

Nope. To get to 30,000,000 units. it would take 8 years of them selling 70,000 units a month. Or somewere around that. It wont catch up to the 360 or wii.

Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Leo-Magic
Member since 2005 • 3025 Posts
if the next price cut did not boost anything, I think Sony is pretty much done for the system war.
Tht1Guy7780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tht1Guy7780
Member since 2009 • 1277 Posts

Nope. To get to 30,000,000 units. it would take 8 years of them selling 70,000 units a month. Or somewere around that. It wont catch up to the 360 or wii.

bronxxbombers

Wait....what?

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
Sony's own "war" against the other corporations has changed since the PS3's launch : Sony has changed its marketing campaign : instead of aiming for number 1, they'd rather earn more loyal consumers by giving them what they really want : the exclusive lineups provided by Sony's in-house studios and the combined efforts of first-party and second-party developer studios. There is no way they will win first place. Second place is still a reasonable option, and don't forget that the Wii console caters to an entirely different target market to the 360 and PS3. And though the 360's cheapest model is HALF of the lowest end PS3's pricepoint, and has had a year head start, the PS3's only narrowly behind it, both in total units sold and in monthly sales. It isn't too late for Sony just yet.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Those PS3 numbers are off, the PS3 is right at 24 million now.

Either way, yeah, the Wii's SALES are beating the PS3, but I wouldn't say it's AWFUL.

Last Gen after SIX LONG YEARS, Sony had sold 120-140 million PS2's, compared to the Gamecube's 21-22 Million. That was after SIX years. (End of 2006, early 2007)

This gen, The PS3 is half way to the Wii's Sales, after two years Plus on the market. The PS3's High Price is definitely a factor, and Nintendo's NONGAMING Market that they are tapping.

Either way, it's not AWFUL, unless you think last gen was worse, which as we can see, it was just fine. The Dreamcast's sales could be described as awful, as that actually killed the system one year after it came out.

---------------

Anyways, Sony's strategy with the PS3 has changed. They got rid of the creator of the system, and are now working on builing a PROFIT Bubble with the customers they have instead of worrying what the cheaper consoles the competition makes sales at.

If I had to predict, I think Sony's going to sell about 65-75 Million PS3's when this generation is over, and that will be fine. The 360 and Wii could sell more or less than that number, but at this point, Sony's just got to take care of their fanbase, and expand on that.

Having the most expensive console on the market is not easy.

Is the PS3 the Super Dominator the PS2 was? No, not at all.

Will the PS3 be fine? Absolutely.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidTy

bronxxbombers

That can't be right. The PS3 has been out for two years so far and have sold 24 Million consoles. 30 Million is only 6 million consoles away. I'm not comparing to any console, I'm just showing you that Sony won't take 8 years to sell 6 million consoles. That's not accurate.

In fact, as the PS3 gets cheaper, it willl in fact sell more units, not less.

You have to be careful about SW, because people post North American Sales numbers like they are the World's numbers, and that can hurt math for any console.

muzik_mafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 muzik_mafia
Member since 2009 • 1628 Posts

These numbers, to me they are... obsolete.

I buy Sony's exclusives, and as long as they keep churning out epic games, I dont care about Microsoft and Nintendo hitting on soccer moms.

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

after dominating the last 2 console wars its nice to see sony in last

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidTy

after dominating the last 2 console wars its nice to see sony in last

johnnyblazed88

Nintendo - NES

Nintendo -SNES

Sony -PSOne

Sony -PS2

Nintendo -Wii

----------

That's how it goes down in the history books. I don't know why it's nice, but to each their own. I suppose people said the same thing about Nintendo after the SNES's success though.

bronxxbombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bronxxbombers
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="bronxxbombers"]

That can't be right. The PS3 has been out for two years so far and have sold 24 Million consoles. 30 Million is only 6 million consoles away. I'm not comparing to any console, I'm just showing you that Sony won't take 8 years to sell 6 million consoles. That's not accurate.

Thats what i read on some forum...like a month ago? But, as the trey gets cheaper, I dont think it will sell much more. Anyone who really wanted a PS3 bought one already, and anyone who really wanted a game system, but couldnt afford the PS3, but the 360. The sales might go up some, but not the amount needed to outsell the 360.
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
The PS3 is at 24 million now in 3 years with a price point of 400 dollars, thats around 8 million consoles per year for the most expensive console on the market. How is that not good again?
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

The PS3 is at 24 million now in 3 years with a price point of 400 dollars, thats around 8 million consoles per year for the most expensive console on the market. How is that not good again?djsifer01

Cause they are in last which is never good, and add to the fact that they are losing hundred of millions of dollars on top of that it makes a bad situation even worse.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="bronxxbombers"]

bronxxbombers

Thats what i read on some forum...like a month ago? But, as the trey gets cheaper, I dont think it will sell much more. Anyone who really wanted a PS3 bought one already, and anyone who really wanted a game system, but couldnt afford the PS3, but the 360. The sales might go up some, but not the amount needed to outsell the 360.

Well, just so you know, whoever's math that is, is off.

Oh, I'm not talkingabout outselling any system.The 360 could outsell the Wii, that's not my point. The Eight Years to sell 6 Million is off.

That assumption about the consoles sales is off.

Let's break it down.

Right now, this gen there are is an estimated total of 100 MILLION Gamers invested this generation. (PSWii60 INstall Bases combined).

As you know, there are more and more gamers every generation, Last Gen there was about 210 Million Gamers combined (PS2-GC-Xbox).
So, as you can see, there is clearly still 100 MIllion PLUS gamers out there playing PS2's/GC's/Xbox's out there that haven't upgraded yet.

This Console Sales War is basically at half time....or close to it.

Anyways, the other problem is assuming the PS3 will be $400 for Three straight years, that's just not going to happen, same for Wii, etc.

bronxxbombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bronxxbombers

[QUOTE="bronxxbombers"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="bronxxbombers"]

SolidTy

Oh, I'm not talkingabout outselling any system.The 360 could outsell the Wii, that's not my point. The Eight Years to sell 6 Million is off.

Let's break it down.

Right now, this gen there are is an estimated total of 100 MILLION Gamers invested this generation. (PSWii60 INstall Bases combined).

As you know, there are more and more gamers every generation, Last Gen there was about 210 Million Gamers combined (PS2-GC-Xbox).
So, as you can see, there is clearly still 100 MIllion PLUS gamers out there playing PS2's/GC's/Xbox's out there that haven't upgraded yet.

Anyways, the other problem is assuming the PS3 will be $400 for Three straight years, that's just not going to happen, same for Wii, etc.

[/QUOTE Yes, I just did that math, and it is wrong. I messes something up in my memory of what it was.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="bronxxbombers"] Thats what i read on some forum...like a month ago? But, as the trey gets cheaper, I dont think it will sell much more. Anyone who really wanted a PS3 bought one already, and anyone who really wanted a game system, but couldnt afford the PS3, but the 360. The sales might go up some, but not the amount needed to outsell the 360.bronxxbombers

Let's break it down.

Yes, I just did that math, and it is wrong. I messes something up in my memory of what it was.

Nah, it's fine dude. :) It's all just fun guesswork. I'm just going off of what trends we've seen so far. I don't think Sony will win sales this gen or anything, but I can see that the PS3 has been out for 2+ Years and sold 24 Million units.

It seems that in another 2 years, the console could at least double that to 58 Million, including the eventual price drops in those next two years, etc. I'm sure 360 and Wii will of course do even better, but that was beside the point.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

bronxxbombers

I'm no PS3 fanboy but i will say a WTF in its defense. The PS3 has been selling more than 70k units in the US ALONE ever since launch. Your math is accurate but if you're assuming that the PS3 only sells 70k units worldwide in a typical month, you're WAAAY off.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

The PS3 is at 24 million now in 3 years with a price point of 400 dollars, thats around 8 million consoles per year for the most expensive console on the market. How is that not good again?djsifer01

*Tell him why its not a good thing Havoc*

OKAY!

See djsifer01 while 24 million in 3 years is a good thing its not a good thing coming off being the market leader for the last decade, two generations whatever you call it. Bottom line is they are last in profitablity and market share. Losing well over 50% of their market share since last gen. That is why 24 million in 3 years at a price of $400 isn't good. Hell they could sell 24 million in three years with a price of $1000. Last in marketshare is where they are at and that is never good period.

*well if they were selling them for $1000 they'd be making mad $$$*

Yeah okay good point I take that back man.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts
this thread it funny. first you say VG Chartz, then u bash the ps3 to the wii, but u dont talk about 360 sales either
Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts
this thread it funny. first you say VG Chartz, then u bash the ps3 to the wii, but u dont talk about 360 sales eitherWadeFan
bu bu 360 sales don't matter, Bashing the PS3 is all that matters.
bronxxbombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bronxxbombers
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]

[QUOTE="bronxxbombers"]

I'm no PS3 fanboy but i will say a WTF in its defense. The PS3 has been selling more than 70k units in the US ALONE ever since launch. Your math is accurate but if you're assuming that the PS3 only sells 70k units worldwide in a typical month, you're WAAAY off.

I already admitted i was wrong there.
jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts

Either way, yeah, the Wii's SALES are beating the PS3, but I wouldn't say it's AWFUL.

Last Gen after FIVE LONG YEARS, Sony had sold 150 million PS2's, compared to the Gamecube's 21-22 Million. That was after five years.

This gen, The PS3 is half way to the Wii's Sales, after two years Plus on the market. The PS3's High Price is definitely a factor, and Nintendo's NONGAMING Market that they are tapping.

Either way, it's not AWFUL, unless you think last gen was worse, which as we can see, it was just fine. The Dreamcast's sales could be described as awful, as that actually killed the system one year after it came out.

---------------

Anyways, Sony's strategy with the PS3 has changed. They got rid of the creator of the system, and are now working on builing a PROFIT Bubble with the customers they have instead of worrying what the cheaper consoles the competition makes sales at.

If I had to predict, I think Sony's going to sell about 65-75 Million PS3's when this generation is over, and that will be fine. The 360 and Wii could sell more or less than that number, but at this point, Sony's just got to take care of their fanbase, and expand on that.

SolidTy

Just like to correct something here. PS2 had only sold 100 million consoles by 2005. I don't think it was until this year or late last year that they sold 150 million or have they even sold 150 million?

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
PS2 is out-selling PS3 and PSP...
Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Oozyrat
Member since 2008 • 926 Posts

I'm kinda glad to see Sony falling behind. I don't think the PS3 will be doing a comeback, however Sony will, unfortunately, make a comeback next gen. You can see that they're getting desperate too with the motion control mid-gen (360/MS as well :cry:, lol)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Last Gen after SIX LONG YEARS, Sony had sold 120-150 million PS2's, compared to the Gamecube's 21-22 Million. That was after Six years.(Late 2006-Early 2007)

---------------

jakarai

Just like to correct something here. PS2 had only sold 100 million consoles by 2005. I don't think it was until this year or late last year that they sold 150 million or have they even sold 150 million?

It's at 160 Million+ currently. When you say By 2005, that wouldn't be five years until the conclusion of 2005. So, by 2006, that's the number we need. I guessed, I admit, maybe it was 140 Million, but I was typing fast before the poster left to another thread.

I probably should have actually said 6 years, which would have been by Late 2006- Early 2007. My point was his adjective was embellished.

boredy-Mcbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 boredy-Mcbored
Member since 2007 • 1566 Posts

this thread it funny. first you say VG Chartz, then u bash the ps3 to the wii, but u dont talk about 360 sales eitherWadeFan
Because that has nothing to do with what the TC is talking about? :?

aero250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 aero250
Member since 2009 • 3613 Posts
The playstation brand is very powerful, thats why it sells decent at that price.