Little Nightmares.....where is the love? 8/10 on GS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I have been eying this game ever since the first trailer

With the game coming out this week and reviews pouring in, what are your thoughts on this game? And of course what you think it will score here? I am guessing 8/10.

Here are some quotes from reviewers so far.

This game offers a unique experience. Play as Six and escape while you have to puzzle and defeat enemies. Defeat them by using your head, all you need to do is run, climb and puzzle. XGN

Creepy and beautiful at the same time, Little Nightmares is a great adventure in a strange world. An atmospheric puzzle-platform with stealth and horror elements which is a great addition in a sub-genre dominated by Playdead's Limbo and Inside. Eurogamer Italy

Little Nightmares presents us with an adventure game filled with riddles and a worryingly miserable atmosphere. It is also highly exciting - many survival and sneaking fans will love it. True Gaming

Little Nightmares is truly one of the scariest games you’ll play this year. Trusted Reviews

Here is also the first 15 Minutes of Gameplay ( I did not watch )

I am excited for this one!

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

The gameplay looked kinda lame, to be honest. I love me some horror games, but this one just seemed boring.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

i'm excited. Reminds me a bit of a nightmare twist on Unravel

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JtoThaMtoThaP

@xantufrog said:

i'm excited. Reminds me a bit of a nightmare twist on Unravel

I get that too...and I enjoyed Unravel. So that mixed with horror, is right up my alley.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

I am interested. I've been eyeing the reviews, most have me excited for it, some have me a bit tepid. I'll probably buy it when it's like 15$ or less.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

I'll probably pick it up but I got a bunch of other stuff since the Spring sale and Cities Skylines is pretty addicting.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

I got the Six Edition pre ordered

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

Im really digging this. The production values are off the charts. Minor physics things like the mattress quishing down when he steps over it really help sell the sense of place this joint takes place in.

...and dat atmosphere.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Reminds me of ICO if it took place in the RE7 house.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

looks good. I got it for PS4 but its all about that MK8 Deluxe hype right now.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

It looks really good , however it's short so I'm going to wait for sales

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Looks cool, got my copy paid for already.....Outlast 2 is also doing decent review-wise, overall these 2 should provide some good horror.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Yeah definitely been keeping an eye on this... might pick it up on Friday, but trying to leave time for Prey next week too.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I just not a fan of platformers so I'll pass

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Looks cool, got my copy paid for already.....Outlast 2 is also doing decent review-wise, overall these 2 should provide some good horror.

I should play Outlast(1) now that I have it downloaded since it was available of GwG.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#16 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

First I've heard of it. Looks interesting. Might buy it somewhere down the line for cheaper.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@smearygoose1768: that would be a good idea as I've been reading the core gameplay in Outlast 2 is very similar to the first title.....will give you an idea if you will like it. It's a different kind of horror game as you have no weapons, you do a lot of running and hiding.....quite terrifying with headphones I found

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Had no idea this was coming out already. Bad timing I guess. With MK8Deluxe getting all the attention. Currently I'm knee deep in dark souls III.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It looks simplistic and something where the atmosphere n visual stuff is supposed to be the highlight. And after my experience with Inside last year, where I was initially absorbed by the experience, only to then be let down by the game's finish being well, tripe, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of playing another cinematic platformer that is relying on its presentation and ambiguitious to carry me to the finish line versus me spending my time on games that actually want to entertain me through their mechanics or story driven games that at least went to tell a more coherent story out of the gate ala Night in the Woods.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46291 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

It looks simplistic and something where the atmosphere n visual stuff is supposed to be the highlight. And after my experience with Inside last year, where I was initially absorbed by the experience, only to then be let down by the game's finish being well, tripe, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of playing another cinematic platformer that is relying on its presentation and ambiguitious to carry me to the finish line versus me spending my time on games that actually want to entertain me through their mechanics or story driven games that at least went to tell a more coherent story out of the gate ala Night in the Woods.

What do you mean by finish ? Do you mean the screen you end INSIDE on or the final gameplay section ?

Because the final gameplay section was ace.

And yeah I may not have liked the last screen/scene of INSIDE either, but the game and ending was good enough to make me wonder what the hell was going on. And so I looked up stuff on the internet and discussed the ending with other people and what any of what you played might imply. To me that is the hallmark of what makes an endearing experience.

You may not have like INSIDE. But I for one love it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k  Online

@smearygoose1768 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

I should play Outlast(1) now that I have it downloaded since it was available of GwG.

Outlast is built around jumpscares. While Outlast 2 seem to be actually going for real horror with an amazing atmosphere and true dread.

Seriously at the end of the first Outlast I was laughing my ass off more than I was frightened by anything.

I still liked Outlast for its setting and atmosphere. But as a horror game it's really bad.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#22 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Been totally pumped about this game. Got it for my Xbox One S.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jg4xchamp
@R4gn4r0k said:
@jg4xchamp said:

What do you mean by finish ? Do you mean the screen you end INSIDE on or the final gameplay section ?

Because the final gameplay section was ace.

And yeah I may not have liked the last screen/scene of INSIDE either, but the game and ending was good enough to make me wonder what the hell was going on. And so I looked up stuff on the internet and discussed the ending with other people and what any of what you played might imply. To me that is the hallmark of what makes an endearing experience.

You may not have like INSIDE. But I for one love it.

The ending, both the initial one and the completionist one. Because I don't subscribe to the "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey" theory of story telling, because that's not how stories work. The ending matters, it's your payoff for everything. You botch that, you botched your story. Your ending is what brings all your themes and story beats all home. It's a great visual experience, and yeah I'll agree the blob stuff is fun, even if it's basic and requires barely any thought on the players part to do.

It's cathartic because it's a juxtaposition to everything else you did, during the games best moments it has a nice balance of sequences where the playing it part can be tense because it always sells the notion that you just made it. It has no replay value though, because 2nd or 3rd time by I know it's a trick, I know that I can't really **** up that jump so long as I commit to my run, and there is no real depth to it. Be it a platforming sequence or puzzle sequence they are all so simple and require very little guess work or effort. And that's fine I guess, but it's not what I value in a game.

It also doesn't help that I thought some aspects of the games internal logic are silly, such as the water thing turning you into aquaman being an arbitrary thing, and again my curiosity being rewarded with something that comes off anticlimactic, especially because player control is the military shooter theme of indie games.

For the record I don't dislike the game (well not completely), it's more or less in the same camp of games like Spec Ops The Line or Telltale's The Walking Dead. I appreciate it enough because it creates for interesting discussion with other people who have played it, but I do lean towards the side of the conversation that says the game isn't particularly good.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

Never heard of this game :(

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I pre-ordered the game on steam yesterday, the game looks charming and the graphics looks amazing. Some time it is nice to play a 4hrs game. Saw you can pre-order it on GoG and get Inside for free.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k  Online

@jg4xchamp said:

The ending, both the initial one and the completionist one. Because I don't subscribe to the "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey" theory of story telling, because that's not how stories work. The ending matters, it's your payoff for everything. You botch that, you botched your story. Your ending is what brings all your themes and story beats all home. It's a great visual experience, and yeah I'll agree the blob stuff is fun, even if it's basic and requires barely any thought on the players part to do.

It's cathartic because it's a juxtaposition to everything else you did, during the games best moments it has a nice balance of sequences where the playing it part can be tense because it always sells the notion that you just made it. It has no replay value though, because 2nd or 3rd time by I know it's a trick, I know that I can't really **** up that jump so long as I commit to my run, and there is no real depth to it. Be it a platforming sequence or puzzle sequence they are all so simple and require very little guess work or effort. And that's fine I guess, but it's not what I value in a game.

It also doesn't help that I thought some aspects of the games internal logic are silly, such as the water thing turning you into aquaman being an arbitrary thing, and again my curiosity being rewarded with something that comes off anticlimactic, especially because player control is the military shooter theme of indie games.

For the record I don't dislike the game (well not completely), it's more or less in the same camp of games like Spec Ops The Line or Telltale's The Walking Dead. I appreciate it enough because it creates for interesting discussion with other people who have played it, but I do lean towards the side of the conversation that says the game isn't particularly good.

One thing that stuck in my head is that everyone was trying their best to stop you all the way through. But then you turn into that blob thingamajig and suddenly people are helping you escape. Why was that, I wondered.

I read a theory online that made absolute sense to me, why people were trying to stop the boy all the way through and why you would suddenly turn into a blob of all things.

Sure it doesn't really help the pretty awful last scene; But on the other hand I do not think that every indie game has to end like Braid or Limbo too... I mean so many movies have these good endings too, the hero saves the girl and they kiss and bla bla bla. Life doesn't have a happy end. I like endings that make you think. That make you realise what you just went through. That make you want to explore more of the world to perhaps find details that will inform you a bit more.

Yeah the secret ending doesn't help much either, but it totally fits the theory I read online so for me ... at the end... I'll still take INSIDE's ending over those sickening, barf-inducing happy ends that are forced so much on us.

I loved The Last of Us ending sequence and ending scene too... just because they didn't go for that 'hey look: a happy ending' bleh !

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

@Black96Z said:

I got the Six Edition pre ordered

Me too. The little figure won me over.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

I ordered the 6 edition because it was cheap with the Prime discount and the only other edition available was a digital copy. Oddly enough there wasn't an option for release day delivery. The game remins me of something I played years ago during the PS era but I can't put my finger on it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jg4xchamp
@R4gn4r0k said:

One thing that stuck in my head is that everyone was trying their best to stop you all the way through. But then you turn into that blob thingamajig and suddenly people are helping you escape. Why was that, I wondered.

I read a theory online that made absolute sense to me, why people were trying to stop the boy all the way through and why you would suddenly turn into a blob of all things.

Sure it doesn't really help the pretty awful last scene; But on the other hand I do not think that every indie game has to end like Braid or Limbo too... I mean so many movies have these good endings too, the hero saves the girl and they kiss and bla bla bla. Life doesn't have a happy end. I like endings that make you think. That make you realise what you just went through. That make you want to explore more of the world to perhaps find details that will inform you a bit more.

Yeah the secret ending doesn't help much either, but it totally fits the theory I read online so for me ... at the end... I'll still take INSIDE's ending over those sickening, barf-inducing happy ends that are forced so much on us.

I loved The Last of Us ending sequence and ending scene too... just because they didn't go for that 'hey look: a happy ending' bleh !

Happy endings are perfectly fine, it's a matter if the story has earned it or not. Which isn't actually my beef with Inside, it has "earned" it's ending, it's that the story beat that is tying it all together is a bit rubbish to me. In fact that last scene has plenty in common with Limbo's ending, it feels abrupt n sudden when it happens (albeit more of the point with Limbo).

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aroxx_ab

Wow the game is so good, unlocked few hrs ago, having a blast

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JtoThaMtoThaP

@aroxx_ab: Good to hear...can't wait to play it myself.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

IGN.com gave the game a 8.8/10 score for all three platforms (Xbox One, PS4, and PC).

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 aroxx_ab

@onesiphorus: Nice scores, i give it 5/5 tho:D

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Enjoying it so far... definitely getting a lot of Inside/Limbo vibes. Doesn't feel quite as polished as the Playdead games but still really cool. Great themes.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JtoThaMtoThaP

Called the 8/10 here :P

It's likely you'll finish Little Nightmares in one or two sittings; its brief length may diminish the spark of its highs, making you wish there was more to prolong the the time it takes to overcome its tense set pieces. But regardless of how you view the time you spend with the game, its strange and distorted world is enough to pull you back in for a second playthrough. The journey to reach its provocative conclusion is filled with unnerving questions and imagery that take hold of your morbid curiosities and pull you deep into introspection. While its puzzles are at times too straightforward, Little Nightmares is a chilling odyssey well worth taking.