Let's just get this out of the way. DualShock 3 > 360 controller. Fact.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

There are arguments that are subjective, and arguments that are objective, based on facts.

The only arguments I ever hear concerning the supposed advantages of the 360 controller are subjective, take for example the notion that the controller is more comfortable than the DualShock 3. That's in the eye of the beholder, no facts to back it up.

Take me for example, I think the DualShock 3 controller is more comfortable to hold than the 360 controller. There's a common misconception that the DualShock 3 is designed for small hands. I have larger than average hands. I can grip an NBA sized basketball without issue using one hand, and the average male can't do that based on what I've seen at the gym. Despite having larger than average hands, I find the DualShock 3 to be the more comfortable controller to hold, but I realize that is a subjective argument, and it holds absolutely no weight. It's merely an opinion takingplace within the mind which is modified by individual bias.

Now that we have that factual part of the argument out of the way, lets focus on the objective differences between the controller, taking every component into consideration. These are the real differences that matter, the differences based on actual facts, undistorted by emotion or personal bias.

Battery:

The DualShock 3 comes standard with a Lithium Ion battery, which provides up to 30 hours of continuous gaming on a full charge. The charging cable is a standard universal USB cable, not proprietary.

The 360 controller does not come standard with a rechargable battery. You can purchase a nickel metal hydride Rechargable Battery Pack, which provides up to 25 hours of continuous gaming for the wireless controller. The charging cable is proprietary.

Sixaxis:

A major feature of the Sixaxis controller, and from where its name is derived, is the ability to sense both rotational orientation and translational acceleration along all three dimensional axes, providing six degrees of freedom.

This feature is absent in the 360 controller, and it doesn't offer any alternative.

Face Buttons:

There are 8 pressure sensitive buttons on the DualShock 3. Triangle, Circle, X, Square, L1, R1, Select and Start.

The Xbox 360 controller does not have pressure sensitive buttons.

Analog Sticks:

The DualShock 3 features finer analog sensitivity than the DualShock 2, increased to 10-bit precision from the 8-bit precision of the DualShock 2. The controller also uses both analog and digital signals simultaneously at all times during gameplay.

The Xbox 360 controller uses 8-bit precision, the same used in last generation controllers, such as the DualShock 2, Gamecube and original Xbox controllers.

Wireless Connectivity:

DualShock 3 uses Bluetooth connectivity.

The 360 controller uses a proprietary wireless 2.4GHz protocol for connectivity, which is of less quality than Bluetooth. The differences are minor, but I have about a 10 to 1 ratio in use of my PS3 over my 360, and I have experienced many more controller syncing problems on the 360 in a fraction of the time.

D-Pad:

I don't think this one really needs an explanation. The DualShock 3 has a fully functional D-Pad while the 360 controller doesn't.

Triggers:

The PS3 has 2 convex analog triggers, while the 360 has 2 concave analog triggers. They both have identical functionality, while preference of shape is purely subjective and comes down to personal bias.

So there you have it. Look, I know that Lemmings latch on to the controller debate with a sense of urgency like flies on horse ****. The Xbox 360 doesn't have a single hardware advantage over the PS3, so they grasp onto the controller debate in an attempt to try and 1 up the PS3 in some way, shape or form, regardless of how insignificant it may be. Well, the only argument I've ever heard from a Lemming concerning the 360 controller has been about comfort, which is subjective and in the eye of the beholder. That is influenced by personal bias, and there is nothing factual to back it up.

When it comes down to facts and funtionality, the PS3 DualShock 3 wipes the floor with the 360 controller in every department. How could a controller be considered so great when it lacks something as significant as a D-Pad? All things considered, the 360 controller is basically a last generation controller. Last generation analog stick precision, last generation digital face buttons that lack analog pressure sensitivity, disfunctional D-Pad which is the same design from last generation, old wireless technology, no Sixaxis support or anything even similar, AA batteries as the standard which is what the Wavebird used last generation....

You can argue comfort and go around in circles all day about it. It's an argument you can't win, because it's purely subjective. These things I just listed however, aren't subjective, they're objective, they're facts.

infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

i see its a slow week in system wars

BullyRay44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BullyRay44
Member since 2012 • 483 Posts
someone's jelly they don't own a 360.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#4 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Well done, I actually agree with you on this, I kind of wished they used similar controllers to the dualshock on the market.
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

This is so 2008.

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

Opinion. And the wrong opinion at that.

BullyRay44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BullyRay44

WarTornRuston
someones jelly they dont own a gaming PC.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#8 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
There are arguments that are subjective, and arguments that are objective, based on facts.arkephonic
You can't be wrong with your own opinion.
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 arkephonic

WarTornRuston

Compelling argument. I may have to rethink this.....

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
 ^
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i too prefer the dualshock, but i don't think the 360's is bad by any means... except that Dpad. D: analogs could have more soom for movement though... and be bigger. they're so tiny ._.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] ^

if that's shopped, i want him to teach me how to make those reflections on the 360 controller so well :P
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 arkephonic

i too prefer the dualshock, but i don't think the 360's is bad by any means... except that Dpad. D: analogs could have more soom for movement though... and be bigger. they're so tiny ._.BrunoBRS

I'm not saying the 360 is a bad controller, because it isn't.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 iammason
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

They both have their ups and downs. PS3 has better sticks, and 360 has better triggers/bumpers.
I like the 360 controller overall.

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

When the 360 is out of battery, you can switch to a new one easily.

The sixaxis has and will always be a useless excuse for not having rumble at launch.

The pressure buttons are pretty pointless, I cant think of a time where I've thought "I need to press the button, but I dont want anyone in the game to think it was too hard or too soft."

The triggers are mushy garbage. The first time I handled the PS3 controller I felt like it was a cheap lightweight toy.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 arkephonic

When the 360 is out of battery, you can switch to a new one easily.

The sixaxis has and will always be a useless excuse for not having rumble at launch.

The pressure buttons are pretty pointless, I cant think of a time where I've thought "I need to press the button, but I dont want anyone in the game to think it was too hard or too soft."

The triggers are mushy garbage. The first time I handled the PS3 controller I felt like it was a cheap lightweight toy.

Get some man hands and grab a 360 controller, or put on your gloves so you dont get any sores and be sure to take breaks so you dont wear out your arms. Sissy boy.

mynamesdenvrmax

List off a bunch of opinions. Check

List zero facts to back up your arguments. Check

Resort to name calling. Check

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 AndyAlfredo
Member since 2009 • 1402 Posts

I'm pretty sure the D-pad is pressure sensitive as well.

Not like it makes much of a difference. Your preference won't change because someone on the internet throws some facts at you.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS
BTW the hell did you mean by pressure sensitive buttons? as far as i know, the only pressure sensitive thing on the PS3 are the triggers (pressing more or less give out different outcomes), which are also a feature of the 360. there's no "different way" to press the face buttons.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I just don't understand why Microsoft hasn't addressed the garbage dpad problem--yes, even the new one is lousy.

***PS3 does have pressure sensitive face buttons.(in response to the post above.) GT5s default controller setup uses the face buttons. Accelerate/brake depends on how hard you press the buttons.

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
I don't have 360, but dualshock 3 is far from comfortable. Especially the analog. EDIT: and Sixaxis? No game uses that anymore, not even Son'y first party. Only game that used it well was Folklore, and rest felt tacked-on. The battery for my controller doesn't last 30 hours. I find it hard to believe how one believes DS3 triggers are even comparable to 360 one. It's absolutely horrid, and I'm glad a lot of games uses shoulder buttons for most of shooting.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Still an opinion, which is better in the end comes down to the individual.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#22 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts

Using sixaxis, and batteries as ownage. Wowsers. I feel like I'm in 2007 again.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

[QUOTE="WarTornRuston"]

BullyRay44

someones jelly they dont own a gaming PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2174cc8f575
deactivated-5f2174cc8f575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 deactivated-5f2174cc8f575
Member since 2005 • 805 Posts

I agree TC. The dualshock 3 is a much better controller and you pointed out every reason why.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 arkephonic

BTW the hell did you mean by pressure sensitive buttons? as far as i know, the only pressure sensitive thing on the PS3 are the triggers (pressing more or less give out different outcomes), which are also a feature of the 360. there's no "different way" to press the face buttons.BrunoBRS

You might wanna check your facts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

so... like... did PS3 win now? i'm confused. are X360s still worth something?

arkephonic can you sleep better now?

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AndyAlfredo
Member since 2009 • 1402 Posts

BTW the hell did you mean by pressure sensitive buttons? as far as i know, the only pressure sensitive thing on the PS3 are the triggers (pressing more or less give out different outcomes), which are also a feature of the 360. there's no "different way" to press the face buttons.BrunoBRS

They sense how hard you press them. 0.01% of games actually support this feature, but it still exists.

I remember the Dualshock 2 controllers also had this and the only time it was useful for me was in Gran Turismo 3 (the harder you pressed the d pad, the faster sliders would move when tuning your car)

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#28 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts

I just don't understand why Microsoft hasn't addressed the garbage dpad problem--yes, even the new one is lousy.

Heirren

They fixed it a little bit according to lolign.

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

VS thread

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
TC Logic: 2012 Kia Rio >>> 1969 Boss Mustang It has better tech...
BullyRay44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BullyRay44
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]TC Logic: 2012 Kia Rio >>> 1969 Boss Mustang It has better tech...

Jelly belly University
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]BTW the hell did you mean by pressure sensitive buttons? as far as i know, the only pressure sensitive thing on the PS3 are the triggers (pressing more or less give out different outcomes), which are also a feature of the 360. there's no "different way" to press the face buttons.AndyAlfredo

They sense how hard you press them. 0.01% of games actually support this feature, but it still exists.

I remember the Dualshock 2 controllers also had this and the only time it was useful for me was in Gran Turismo 3 (the harder you pressed the d pad, the faster sliders would move when tuning your car)

that explains why i never noticed it :P

i actually grabbed my controller to check it, it is sensitive but i'd imagine it's much less accurate (and comfortable) than the triggers.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BrunoBRS

VS thread

ebrezzy1

i'll take the dolphin. it can run wii games in 1080p.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Get this out of the way?

You're like 5 years late dude

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]BTW the hell did you mean by pressure sensitive buttons? as far as i know, the only pressure sensitive thing on the PS3 are the triggers (pressing more or less give out different outcomes), which are also a feature of the 360. there's no "different way" to press the face buttons.arkephonic

You might wanna check your facts.

The Start & Select buttons are pressure sensitive? Really?
IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IAmNot_fun

[QUOTE="AndyAlfredo"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]BTW the hell did you mean by pressure sensitive buttons? as far as i know, the only pressure sensitive thing on the PS3 are the triggers (pressing more or less give out different outcomes), which are also a feature of the 360. there's no "different way" to press the face buttons.BrunoBRS

i actually grabbed my controller to check it, it is sensitive but i'd imagine it's much less accurate (and comfortable) than the triggers.

Have you played an MGS game? Most of them have it.
Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I initially thought this had to be a bumped thread from years ago.

Btw, sixaxis should be listed as a con for the PS3. I always roll my eyes whenever I am forced to use the damn thing.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

[QUOTE="AndyAlfredo"]

IAmNot_fun

i have 1 and 4, and a little of 3. i don't remember it.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

we just had this it's all prefrence

and last i checked most people like the 360 controler better the DS3

i like weight to my controler and with the analog sticks being so close half my games feel unplayable and i swear i could crush that controler in my hands

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IAmNot_fun
[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]that explains why i never noticed it :P

BrunoBRS

Oh. If you are a casual MGS player, you wouldn't know it.
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Anyone else use this?

Makes the DS3's triggers suck less.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"] Have you played an MGS game? Most of them have it.

Oh. If you are a casual MGS player, you wouldn't know it.

well i never owned a sony system until this gen >.> i'm a big fan of the MGS series, but i've been forced to follow it from a distance forever now. then i got a PS3 for MGS4, downloaded MGS1 cIassic, and plan on getting MGS3D when i get a 3DS.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts
Xbox 360 control has better ergonomic design triggers are better on the Xbox 360, strong sturdy spring to them, their placement on the controller is superior, and developers actually map essential functions to the triggers unlike for the PS3 where they map things like aim/zoom to the L1/R1 bumpers because the triggers on the PS3 were screwed up in their design concave analog tips on the Xbox 360 controller are better than the convex tips on the PS3 analog placement is better the keypad for the Xbox 360 is placed better than the horribly designed one for the PS3 headsets are easier to use with the Xbox 360 controller and my Xbox 360 controller had rumble out of the box when I got it 6 years a ago, I actually had to buy a DS3 because my PS3 didn't come with it and the dpad works just fine because most times if it's used it's only essential for selecting weapons or inventory, not performing a hadoken
gensigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gensigns
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts
Nope
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
360 controller is faaaaaaar better. Better triggers, better face buttons, and the damn thing is actually ergonomic. In short, you're dead ****ing wrong.
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6965 Posts

360 controller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dogcrap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DS3. Fact.

And LMAO @ anyone who mentions six axis

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Xbox 360 control has better ergonomic design triggers are better on the Xbox 360, strong sturdy spring to them, their placement on the controller is superior, and developers actually map essential functions to the triggers unlike for the PS3 where they map things like aim/zoom to the L1/R1 bumpers because the triggers on the PS3 were screwed up in their design concave analog tips on the Xbox 360 controller are better than the convex tips on the PS3 analog placement is better the keypad for the Xbox 360 is placed better than the horribly designed one for the PS3 headsets are easier to use with the Xbox 360 controller and my Xbox 360 controller had rumble out of the box when I got it 6 years a ago, I actually had to buy a DS3 because my PS3 didn't come with it and the dpad works just fine because most times if it's used it's only essential for selecting weapons or inventory, not performing a hadokenlamprey263

All opinion, really, but I will say that headsets are WAY WAY WAY WAY easier on ps3. Bluetooth.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 arkephonic

You guys act like I didn't expect the Lemming army to come in here and start damage controlling to the fullest.

So far everything you guys have listed have been a bunch of biased opinions that hold no weight.

Try harder.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

You guys act like I didn't expect the Lemming army to come in here and start damage controlling to the fullest.

So far all you guys have listed a bunch of biased opinions that hold no weight.

Try harder.

arkephonic

i dont see what there is to try when they are merly the same with minor differences like you said.and about complaining about the d-bad it isnt bad as some people think,it's not ment to preform godly combos and all that fun stuff it's made for quick switches or invintory navigation. in the end it all gos into prefrence

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

So far all you guys have listed a bunch of biased opinions that hold no weight.

Try harder.

almasdeathchild

i dont see what there is to try when they are merly the same with minor differences like you said.and about complaining about the d-bad it isnt bad as some people think,it's not ment to preform godly combos and all that fun stuff it's made for quick switches or invintory navigation. in the end it all gos into prefrence

i use a 360 controller on my PC. that Dpad sucks even to choose gadgets on arkham asylum. any diagonal input is a nightmare.