lemmings who brought HD-DVD add on (how do u feel?)

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Agamespotingboy
Agamespotingboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Agamespotingboy
Member since 2007 • 373 Posts

To have something that is gonna be the next beta-max (which was supported by sony ironically)
thats why sony was smart to put the blu-ray in ps3
Even if it looses the gaming war because of the highprice associated with blue ray and even if it doesent replace DVD until 2012...
when blu-ray does dominate, winning the format war will bring profit that the gaming industry never would...
the FORMAT WAR >>>> than the CONSOLE WAR
thats what sony cares about, thats what their smart enough to care about.
now if the 360 put hd-dvd, not only would i thought of my 360 it as a greater system than my ps3, hd-dvd would have dominated and defeated blu-ray because not only was it first to come out, but it had the cheapest stand alone players.

SO LEMMINGS who bought the add-on, how do u feel? DO u feel silly yet?

OH and dont expect digital distribution to overcome optical disks as a main medium until the at least 2 more generations, hd space is getting better but not that high enough and broadband speeds arent fast enough yet to allouw gb/ sec of data which would be more feasible to that of going to blockbuster or net flix.

And all you lemmings were on this forum talking about teh greatness of HD-dvd before the ps3 came out and how Blu-ray would never ovrcome hd-dvd.

AND REMEMBER, im only talking about the lemmings who bout the add on, not the rest of you lemmings, who just bout their 360 for games like i did.

***EDIT**** ok this is only for the lemmings who dotn have a ps3 or blu-ray players
--------------------------------------------------Avril Lavigne has nice hair (ftw) --------------------------------------------

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I use my Blu-ray (PS3) and HD-DVD in seperate rooms, so it feels good to have HD both places. Plus I ordered a white PS3 from PlayAsia, so I have HD in 3 rooms.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
I'm starting to think you're just a Lemming trying to make Cows look bad. NO ONE could cause such blatant damage to a fanbase's reputation unwillingly.
citizen-zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 citizen-zero
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
Please write your opinion in proper English, before anyone can respect your opinion.
Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts

I use my Blu-ray (PS3) and HD-DVD in seperate rooms, so it feels good to have HD both places. Plus I ordered a white PS3 from PlayAsia, so I have HD in 3 rooms.BioShockOwnz

How much did the white PS3 set you back (plus shipping)?

goku234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 goku234
Member since 2005 • 567 Posts
Im fine with my hd drive.
frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts

this post is pretty poorly written... so poorly written i congradulate you on writting almost as poorly as myself!

now as for purchasing my add on i feel pretty good about it. i own the add on a ps3 and then a standalone player for blueray and hddvd.

I really could care less what format wins because i own them both. And whatever format is declared the winner (you assume blueray but neither are doing well buy any means) i will just record the loosing format to my computer hard drive and burn it to what ever format won.

(i already own an hddvd drive in my laptopand if blue ray wins then i will have a blue ray drive.)

personally i feel neither format is needed and will only be around until digital distribution gets a good foot hold. I own both because i can.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I use my Blu-ray (PS3) and HD-DVD in seperate rooms, so it feels good to have HD both places. Plus I ordered a white PS3 from PlayAsia, so I have HD in 3 rooms.Jared2720

Around $450. They were originally $399 (now more expensive) on PlayAsia when they first released, then it was a hefty $60 shipping, but I had a coupon for $10 off any order.

Avatar image for FantasySports02
FantasySports02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FantasySports02
Member since 2007 • 788 Posts
so many run on sentances!!
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
System Wars not Format Wars?
DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts
I have both the PS3 with blu-ray and the HD-DVD player of the 360. There are some movies on HD-DVD that are not on blu-ray.
Agamespotingboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Agamespotingboy

I have both the PS3 with blu-ray and the HD-DVD player of the 360. There are some movies on HD-DVD that are not on blu-ray.DuDisNow

Ok gosh, let me clarify, for all those who dont have a ps3 then :P
and ya some, but they will come to blu-ray when it dominates so ya, there u go.

Agamespotingboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Agamespotingboy

I'm starting to think you're just a Lemming trying to make Cows look bad. NO ONE could cause such blatant damage to a fanbase's reputation unwillingly.Verge_6

read my past posts, im completely unbias except i bash the wii 24/7
and u laugh now that the ps3 is last place, but when it wins the format war, the profits gained from gaming will be nothing than what can be gained from the dominance of blu-ray

creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts

To have something that is gonna be the next beta-max (which was supported by sony ironically)
Even if it looses the gaming war because of the highprice associated with blue ray and even if it doesent replace DVD until 2012...
when blu-ray does dominate, winning the format war will bring profit that the gaming industry never would...
now if the 360 put hd-dvd, not only would i thought of my 360 it as a greater system than my ps3, hd-dvd would have dominated and defeated blu-ray because not only was it first to come out, but it had the cheapest stand alone players.

OH and dont expect digital distribution to overcome optical disks as a main medium until the at least 2 more generations, hd space is getting better but not that high enough and broadband speeds arent fast enough yet to allouw gb/ sec of data which would be more feasible to that of going to blockbuster or net flix.

And all you lemmings were on this forum talking about teh greatness of HD-dvd before the ps3 came out and how Blu-ray would never ovrcome hd-dvd.

AND REMEMBER, im only talking about the lemmings who bout the add on, not the rest of you lemmings, who just bout their 360 for games like i did.

--------------------------------------------------Avril Lavigne has nice hair (ftw) --------------------------------------------

Agamespotingboy

It feels great to have both blu-ray and HD-DVD...thanks for asking

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I bought the add-on just because I was caught up in this SW crap and I wanted to help destroy blu-ray and the PS3 to help Microsoft.

Agamespotingboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Agamespotingboy

System Wars not Format Wars?Bgrngod

technically, the hd-dvd player is a liscensed add on for the 360 and blu-ray's utilization in the ps3 has a lot to do with the gaming console itself and its cost at the beginning being so high which cause the ps3 to have such a low install base (and its still the highest costing component), im here to say why its a smart thing sony did that.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]I'm starting to think you're just a Lemming trying to make Cows look bad. NO ONE could cause such blatant damage to a fanbase's reputation unwillingly.Agamespotingboy

and u laugh now that the ps3 is last place, but when it wins the format war, the profits gained from gaming will be nothing than what can be gained from the dominance of blu-ray

How does that make any sense ?

If you bash something that me your BIASED :roll:

Agamespotingboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Agamespotingboy
[QUOTE="Agamespotingboy"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]I'm starting to think you're just a Lemming trying to make Cows look bad. NO ONE could cause such blatant damage to a fanbase's reputation unwillingly.Gh0st_Of_0nyx

why are u here? this is not a forum topic for sheep, ur system cant even play HD anything...
that was a joke, duh.... dont worry, ill make a wii bash thread in a bit..

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

I love it. Works flawlessly. Inexpensive (got mine last year for $170). Movies look fantastic.

What more can you ask for?

Agamespotingboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Agamespotingboy

I love it. Works flawlessly. Inexpensive (got mine last year for $170). Movies look fantastic.

Dreams-Visions

how about it being built in like with my ps3 :) *something MS should have done*
$170 is way over priced btw....
and the fact that it will be obsolete when blu-ray dominates and hd-dvd dies

bwms12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 bwms12345
Member since 2004 • 372 Posts
Im confused, you didnt give any reason for blue ray to dominate. If Hd dvd wins than 360 will benefit.
SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SegArgyle
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts
I dont see how anything can win the format war, when half the movies u want are on bluray and the other half is on hddvd, what your senseless point, and another thing I don't think anyone really cares considering standard dvd's sales are absolutely destroying the hidef format, especially when people are getting their old dvd's upscaled, even though there is a difference no one cares soagain, whats your point??
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
I suspect they don't feel as bad as anyone that shelled out $35 for Spiderman 3.
SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SegArgyle
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Agamespotingboy

areu 8 years old or something, your points are MOOT, your gonna be waiting along time before either one of them dominates over standard dvd's which the way things are going is gonna be never, and who cares if its built in at least we had a choice and didnt have to blow extra money or something alot of us have no use for, not everyone has a hdtv, and plus the ones that do still dont care about hd or bluray, kid

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts
I have both HD-DVD add-on and Blu-Ray (PS3). I would say get a standalone player over the add-on due to the 360 crippling the sounds (especially if you have something that can output Dolby TrueHD sound. PQ on the add-on is excellent though.
Agamespotingboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Agamespotingboy
[QUOTE="Agamespotingboy"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

SegArgyle

areu 8 years old or something, your points are MOOT, your gonna be waiting along time before either one of them dominates over standard dvd's which the way things are going is gonna be never, and who cares if its built in at least we had a choice and didnt have to blow extra money or something alot of us have no use for, not everyone has a hdtv, and plus the ones that do still dont care about hd or bluray, kid

what am i talkin about here? im simply sstating sony was smart to put blu-ray in the ps3 beacause it will ultimately in the future lead it to much more profits sony can gain then if they simply would have won the console war, thats all im saying, and that u all got the beta-max of this gen's format war if u bought that add on, wow go back to topics on this forum a year ago and how lemmings were laughing and calling the blu-ray the next betamax but they shutup and stoped talking ever since blu-ray started dominating. if hd-dvd kept dominating, lemmings would have kept bragging about it.
so there u go, im proving a point.

Diablo2343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Diablo2343
Member since 2003 • 982 Posts

I see what you are strying to say.(That funny thing at an end of a sentence is a period.)

Basically, M$ fanboys were raving about the HD add on and it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I bought one as well.

If HD does not survive, it does not mean the handful of HD movies purchased will not work. The thing should operate, unless it's something M$ has installed into the add-on. Unlike the Blu-Ray people who claimed victory earlier this year, HD is still sticking around. Blu-ray does have a larger install base due to the PS3. It would have been interesting to see if Sony would not have added in the blu-ray player.

Hence, I am not concerned, I shall be purchasing a PS3 hopefully towards the end of next year. I shall have both formats to watch movies!

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

[QUOTE="Bgrngod"]System Wars not Format Wars?Agamespotingboy

technically, the hd-dvd player is a liscensed add on for the 360 and blu-ray's utilization in the ps3 has a lot to do with the gaming console itself and its cost at the beginning being so high which cause the ps3 to have such a low install base (and its still the highest costing component), im here to say why its a smart thing sony did that.

Technically you are right, but this is still System Wars. Format Wars discussions should be elsewhere.

Anyways, I might as well contribute.

I am perfectly happy with my HD-DVD drive. I doubt you are going to find anyone that would jump in here and proclaim they are upset about having purchased one. Anyone that did make the decision went into it knowing full well that HD-DVD might fail and were more then ok with taking that risk.

SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts

***EDIT**** ok this is only for the lemmings who dotn have a ps3 or blu-ray players

Agamespotingboy

Honestly (And this is coming from someone who has a 360 with no HD-DVD player, and from someone who bought a PS3 specifically for the blu-ray player), HD-DVD is looking pretty good right now. Not necessarily better than blu-ray, but at least on the same level. They've got Star Trek on their side (that's a pretty good fanbase to work with), they've got Transformers, the Matrix, and some other recent releases that are pretty strong (the Kingdom, Knocked Up, etc.). I wouldn't necessarily pick it over blu-ray, but they've definitely done a good job making a strong case for owning both formats.

And for the record, Avril Lavigne looks like a troll.

VinnWaran16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VinnWaran16
Member since 2007 • 393 Posts
[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"][QUOTE="Agamespotingboy"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]I'm starting to think you're just a Lemming trying to make Cows look bad. NO ONE could cause such blatant damage to a fanbase's reputation unwillingly.Agamespotingboy

why are u here? this is not a forum topic for sheep, ur system cant even play HD anything...
that was a joke, duh.... dont worry, ill make a wii bash thread in a bit..

lmao well its nice to see a fanboy that is actaully kind of funny

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts
I'm gald I didn't buy an HD-DVD drive for my 360 because I beleive its going to be discontinued in a couple of years.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Agamespotingboy

$170 is overpriced for a HD-DVD player? 12 months ago? :|

How about $600 was overpriced for a PS3 12 months ago. That make sense too?

And when will it be obselete? I've gotten more than my monies worth out of my little add-on...and I didn't have to spend $400+ to enjoy HD movies for a year earlier.

And where else can I watch Transformers or the Matrix Trilogy? :)

$170 well spent.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="Agamespotingboy"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Dreams-Visions

And when will it be obselete? I've gotten more than my monies worth out of my little add-on...and I didn't have to spend $400+ to enjoy HD movies for a year earlier.

$170 well spent.

I don't think the PS3 was overpriced. The PS3 has a ton of features. also, it was said that the PS3 was worth more than $600. Lets not for get that Sony is taking a big loss on the PS3.

kaos-hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kaos-hero
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts
[QUOTE="Jared2720"]

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I use my Blu-ray (PS3) and HD-DVD in seperate rooms, so it feels good to have HD both places. Plus I ordered a white PS3 from PlayAsia, so I have HD in 3 rooms.BioShockOwnz

Around $450. They were originally $399 (now more expensive) on PlayAsia when they first released, then it was a hefty $60 shipping, but I had a coupon for $10 off any order.

Dude, you got ripped off. The official price of the White PS3 here in Japan is 340 American dollars. You got ripped off man. I bought my PS3 from Shibuya and it was no where near over 400.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Agamespotingboy"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Soulja_West

$170 well spent.

I don't think the PS3 was overpriced. The PS3 has a ton of features. also, it was said that the PS3 was worth more than $600. Lets not for get that Sony is taking a big loss on the PS3.

It has dropped damn near $300 in 12 months.

It was overpriced.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

" It has dropped damn near $300 in 12 months. It was overpriced. "

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ? :| It dropped $100.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

I have Blu-Ray, my friend has HD-DVD.

I want Matrix in HD, he wants Pixar movies in HD. We both lose because of this format war.

All of us who are supporting this war should feel silly, IMO, as we are lining pockets of companies who knew that this was a bad idea, yet kept the segmenting of the market in order to maintain the maximum cut of profits, instead of ironing out a universal format to begin with and making a compromise that would have benefited the industry and the consumers at the same time, albeit with slight losses to the format parent companies (Toshiba and Sony with some others) profits.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="Soulja_West"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Agamespotingboy"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Dreams-Visions

$170 well spent.

It has dropped damn near $300 in 12 months.

It was overpriced.

No it wasn't at the timeconsidering all the many features it has plus blu ray.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dreams-Visions

I want Matrix in HD, he wants Pixar movies in HD. We both lose because of this format war.

All of us who are supporting this war should feel silly, IMO, as we are lining pockets of companies who knew that this was a bad idea, yet kept the segmenting of the market in order to maintain the maximum cut of profits, instead of ironing out a universal format to begin with and making a compromise that would have benefited the industry and the consumers at the same time, albeit with slight losses to the format parent companies (Toshiba and Sony with some others) profits.

SpruceCaboose

I have both, so I'm apathetic. But I laugh when people predict a winner and a loser let a lone a date when it will happen.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dreams-Visions

" It has dropped damn near $300 in 12 months. It was overpriced. "

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ? :| It dropped $100.

Nike_Air

You're right. I was thinking of the new pricepoint instead of the price drop delta.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

The ps3 was never overpriced. It was actually underpriced. Like if a helicopter sold for $250million, then lowered to $225 million, it is still not affordable to the masses. So with the ps3 is the same. Whether consumers can afford it was a whole different story. And it looks like the masses could not afford it at $500 or more. Thus you got the 40GB. I think as efficiency ramps up, we might see the 40GB going down to $320-$360 in 2008. Mostly like before the christmas 2008. We'll have to wait and see.

But truely, for $400 retail, the 40GB is 1 amazing piece of hardware.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Dreams-Visions

I have both, so I'm apathetic. But I laugh when people predict a winner and a loser let a lone a date when it will happen.

I spent my money on a PS3, I don't have the spare funds for the HD-DVD add on, so I hope for Blu-Ray to win. My friend does not want to buy a PS3, since he games rather infrequently, so he hopes for HD-DVDs victory. In all honesty, I will support the winner eventually, but the fact that I have to sit back and hope I "didn't bet on the losing horse", so to speak, is terrible, and the fact that both companies compromised last optical disc generation with the DVD and yet refused to do so again this gen screams BS to me, and I for one had hoped before the formats launched that they would get their heads on and do what was right for consumers.

Instead, they fought, and now many people will lose, regardless of the outcome, and both HD mediums suffer due to confusion and an unwillingness for the average consumer to bet with the amount of money that is required to enter HD disc based entertainment, as evidenced by DVDs massive sales numbers dwarfing Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sales combined.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Soulja_West

The ps3 was never overpriced. It was actually underpriced. Like if a helicopter sold for $250million, then lowered to $225 million, it is still not affordable to the masses. So with the ps3 is the same. Whether consumers can afford it was a whole different story. And it looks like the masses could not afford it at $500 or more. Thus you got the 40GB. I think as efficiency ramps up, we might see the 40GB going down to $320-$360 in 2008. Mostly like before the christmas 2008. We'll have to wait and see.

gamenux

Thats what I've been trying to tell another user but he thinks it wasoverpriced which itswasn't. Its really underpriced like you said. Sony is taking a loss with the PS3. Everyone know this or should know this. Now its $399 which is a steal.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

I use my Blu-ray (PS3) and HD-DVD in seperate rooms, so it feels good to have HD both places. Plus I ordered a white PS3 from PlayAsia, so I have HD in 3 rooms.BioShockOwnz

Did it arrive yet? how does it look. I think the white looks sexy.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="gamenux"]

Soulja_West

Thats what I've been trying to tell another user but he thinks its overpriced which its not. Its really underpriced like you said. Sony is taking a loss with the PS3. Everyone know this or should know this. Now its $399 which is a steal.

Over-priced/under-priced is a value judgement based on perceived value and worth. What is over-priced to you might not be to another, and vice-versa.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="Soulja_West"][QUOTE="gamenux"]

SpruceCaboose

Thats what I've been trying to tell another user but he thinks its overpriced which its not. Its really underpriced like you said. Sony is taking a loss with the PS3. Everyone know this or should know this. Now its $399 which is a steal.

Over-priced/under-priced is a value judgement based on perceived value and worth. What is over-priced to you might not be to another, and vice-versa.

The Features plus Blu-Ray. Enough said.

Pajamasalad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pajamasalad
Member since 2007 • 356 Posts
The first Xbox and the 360 are sold at a loss just like the PS3. Don't act like Sony is the first to sell their console at a loss.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Soulja_West

The Features plus Blu-Ray. Enough said.

I'm not saying it is or isn't over-priced. I am saying that it won't be for everyone. I find it priced right, myself, and I know people who would swear its a deal of a life time, and those who will say its not worth the price of a Wii.

Its a matter of taste, preference, and what you value/want from the equipment.

deuteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deuteris
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

thats what sony cares about,
Agamespotingboy

That's a good point.