Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

https://atlus.com/fond-farewell-demons-souls-servers/

Damn.. I remember when this game came out, so sad. One of the most influential games ever. Get your time in before it’s too late.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

https://atlus.com/fond-farewell-demons-souls-servers/

Damn.. I remember when this game came out, so sad. One of the most influential games ever. Get your time in before it’s too late.

...really

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

We got Bloodborne now. Forget Demon Souls.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1046 Posts

@davillain- said:

We got Bloodborne now. Forget Demon Souls.

I can't I just ordered it on amazon. I do not have a ps4.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Damn, didn't even know the servers were still up lol.

Yeah, excellent game. Kinda funny how its influence has gone to the point of being played the fvck out, but damn was it a breath of fresh air at the time. Easily one of my favorite titles last gen.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: it came out of nowhere too.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner

@SolidGame_basic said:

@ConanTheStoner: it came out of nowhere too.

Yep, I remember for a while it was some niche game people would bring up, and we didn't even know if/when it was gonna be localized here.

And when early footage of the game was floating around, people just shrugged it off as some generic TES ripoff lmao.

Crazy how it grew into such a big deal.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Great game.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Might go back to it. Haven't played it for a year.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Dark Souls was the Souls series' defining moment.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Dark Souls was the Souls series' defining moment.

Oh man... I'm busting a gut over here.

You would know why that was a ridiculous thing to say if you understood that everything in Dark Souls 1 was literally copied and pasted right from Demons Souls. Seriously - don't believe me, play Demon's Souls and then play Dark Souls!

I guess that's how I have figured out you never played Demon's Souls!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mazuiface said:

Oh man... I'm busting a gut over here.

You would know why that was a ridiculous thing to say if you understood that everything in Dark Souls 1 was literally copied and pasted right from Demons Souls. Seriously - don't believe me, play Demon's Souls and then play Dark Souls!

I guess that's how I have figured out you never played Demon's Souls!

I played Demon's Souls, before Dark Souls no less. It just never really made my pants tight as much as Dark Souls did. All Demon's Souls had that was better than Dark Souls was atmosphere.

Everything in Gears of War was copy and pasted from Kill.Switch... that doesn't mean Kill.Switch is a better game.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

I feared this for a while. It looks like it's finally happening. I will have to visit this this game again. It's sad that it's happening to such a great game. It's even worse to see the people downplaying it in the thread (why?)

@MonsieurX: Yes, it is one of the most influential games. Hell, its influence found it's way back into the series that influenced it: Zelda. To catch what I'm saying, replace "dark souls" influence with "demons souls" influence, because that's more accurate.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mazuiface

@foxhound_fox: Gears of War borrows from Kill Switch, but it doesn't outright copy full animations and sprites while trying to convince the player that this was the creative intention of the developers.

I enjoyed Dark Souls 1 for its gameplay, but I fully understood that I was playing From Software's extension to their formula for money. Really, seeing the gargoyles from Tower of Latria pick me up from Sen's Fortress in Dark Souls 1 was an extreme eye roll moment among other things. Enjoyable game? Yes. Defining experience? Far from it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ConanTheStoner

I like both about equally, but Dark Souls gets the slight edge for me mainly because of its level design. Not that Demons was a slouch on that front either, but the way the world folds back on itself in Dark Souls is (mostly) genius.

Personally, wouldn't say that Dark Souls is the defining moment of the series at all. Demons earned that right off the bat, Fromsoft nailed it from the start. Hell, personal opinion aside, I still think it would just be flat out wrong to say that lol. Demons did define what the Souls games would be all about, and with the execution to back it. Wasn't some sloppy first try that Dark Souls had to fix or anything like that. This isn't a SF1 to SF2 situation lol.

I would say that Dark Souls was the series breakout moment, but that has less to do with what it is as a game and more to do with it being a multiplatform title coming off the already glowing praise of its predecessor. Everybody wanted to know what the hype was about and they finally got it with a great sequel.

-

As for the discussion of influence, "One of the most influential games ever", yeah no, not even close lol. It doesn't begin to stack up to games like Doom 1, Ultima, SMB1, SM64, SF2, GTA3, etc. in that regard.

One of the most influential games of the past decade though? Absolutely. Right up there with CoD4 (and no that's not meant as an insult).

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mazuiface

That's sort of my point here. If I were to go by my personal favorite from the Souls series, I would give it to SotFS, because it expanded on the formula and touched up the engine and also added a ton of interesting new content and game mechanics (that were removed in Dark Souls III). I still hella play SotFS on multiple platforms. It's one of those games that I get on everything that can play it.

- but when strictly talking about the "Defining souls game," it has to be Demon's Souls, and not just because the other games wouldn't exist without it, and not only because the experience of playing it for the first time in late 2009 or 2010 can never be replicated, but a mix of these and the fact that the gameplay has essentially given people a new way to try to define action RPGs: "Souls style." This was a game that From really wanted to make.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Incoming remaster on PS4?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Old Monk will be easy now.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

One of the best games last gen and maybe THE game that changed most last gen.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

what a shame, but it was bound to happen some day. i think it was due to shut down in 2012 originally but fan outcry delayed the shutdown. surviving for nine years is a massive achievement for a game that nobody anticipated to be such a success.

it's disappointing how many people think of Demon's Souls as a "beta for Dark Souls" or something when it was one of the most innovative games of the 7th console generation. i like all of the Souls games (even Dark Souls 2, to some extent), and i'd say that Bloodborne and Dark Souls are my favorite games in the extended series, but Demon's Souls will always be special. i think this video captures most of my feelings better than i could ever articulate them:

Loading Video...

*and before you write this off as contrarian Demon's Souls nostalgia, bear in mind that the author of the video, Matthewmatosis, has mentioned in his Dark Souls commentary that he prefers Dark Souls to Demon's Souls and has previously said that he really enjoyed Bloodborne.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: You don't think so? People often use the "Souls-esque" label for games that were inspired by it.

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts

Remaster incoming.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@MonsieurX: yes reallly , lords of fallen , nioh , ac origins , for honor. I could go on. The term "souls like" is a popular one nowadays. Almost to much games have been inspired by this game

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

One of my favourite games of all time.

RIP.

Fingers crossed for a ps4 remake.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

I wasn't very good at the game but it was really fun.