Left For Dead series is mediocre.

• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

FLAME SHIELD *VALVE*

STATUS-----ACTIVE-----

I do not like the series. I think it was just an excuse to make quick bucks because it didn't take long to develop.

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 for that matter would have taken longer and cost more money to develop, but if it was developed during the period (2008-2009 I remember) instead of Left For Dead series, we would be playing it now.

Left For Dead series has nothing that make the HL series so special nor does the level of polish is the same. L4D is not timeless.

tccavey2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tccavey2
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts

:? eh.. disagree.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

FLAME SHIELD *VALVE*

STATUS-----ACTIVE-----

I do not like the series. I think it was just an excuse to make quick bucks because it didn't take long to develop.

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 for that matter would have taken longer and cost more money to develop, but if it was developed during the period (2008-2009 I remember) instead of Left For Dead series, we would be playing it now.

Left For Dead series has nothing that make the HL series so special nor does the level of polish is the same. L4D is not timeless.

Ravenchrome

i personally loved it. it's one of the best coop games ive ever played! ive always wanted a zombie apocalypse game where the point of the game is to survive with friends and l4d does that exactly! there is nothing i dont like about the game. in fact for me its

L4D > Half Life

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
I thought both games were decent. Nothing special, really. Fun for a little bit, but they got old quick.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Oh wow.

I personally feel that the gameplay style is highly innovative and really satisfying.

Alien Swarm was lovely aswell.

Let's see what Overstrike and that Brothers in Arms aka Inglourious Basterds will offer, since they are L4D clones.

But I think the execution of L4D2 wasn't that good, I didn't like it as much as the first game. The concept and style of gameplay is one of my favorite ones atm, I look forward to more games in this sub genre.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

And then you realize like every other valve game, it actually improves as the community gets its hands on the source sdk. Try dL user created content and have 3 other close friends, not some pubbed randoms. The game is a co-op masterpiece

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

The game is a co-op masterpiece

tutt3r

This X10

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

L4D > HL (But Episode 2 was fantastic), so I'm glad we got a new series instead of Episode 3.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ravenchrome

And then you realize like every other valve game, it actually improves as the community gets its hands on the source sdk. Try dL user created content and have 3 other close friends, not some pubbed randoms. The game is a co-op masterpiece

tutt3r

People aren't Valve.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ravenchrome

L4D > HL (But Episode 2 was fantastic), so I'm glad we got a new series instead of Episode 3.

Avian005

No. The level of polish doesn't really up to the par. It's the worst series that Valve has.

True_Chaos_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 True_Chaos_UK
Member since 2010 • 2570 Posts

It was developed by Turtle Rock studios which Valve bought, so be mad at Valve for no HL3 not L4D, either way the second game only took a year to make and its a cracking series just not for everyone I guess but co-op is second to non.

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

[QUOTE="Avian005"]

Ravenchrome

No. The level of polish doesn't really up to the par. It's the worse series that Valve has.

Polish =/= fun. L4D is a lot more fun to play than the HL games. And why not explain why it's the worst valve series?

And the level of polish in the L4D games are just fine.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

you shield will do nothing vs.. maximum overtrolls..

just saying..

anyway i enjoyed l4d 1 & 2 alot i fail to see what you didnt like TC.. this comes from a guy whos played msot of the great zombie horror games..

resident evil outbreak, code veronica, 4, 0, house of the dead 1, typing of the dead..

i can safely say NOTHING attracted me quite like it (tough i did think that typing of the dead was epic win)

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I'd like to try it out, but only if the SP was worthwhile, since I don't play online on PC.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
I couldn't care less for L4D or HL, to be honest. The only Valve games I really enjoy are Portal 1&2 and TF2. I played them all... I'm just not a fan.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

I'd like to try it out, but only if the SP was worthwhile, since I don't play online on PC.

Pug-Nasty

Don't bother then.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrSelf-Destruct

Pug-Nasty
Main downfall of the game for me. Single player is just multiplayer with bots for your squad mates. There's no real story and no structure outside of blasting through the masses to get to the next safe house. I'm not big on MP games as it is, but this one just had nothing I wanted.
Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
This belongs in your blog
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts
Blog it. It's probably one of the best co-op experiences you can find.
Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ravenchrome

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

MrSelf-Destruct

Main downfall of the game for me. Single player is just multiplayer with bots for your squad mates. There's no real story and no structure outside of blasting through the masses to get to the next safe house. I'm not big on MP games as it is, but this one just had nothing I wanted.

Yet they still landed an 8.5 and a 9 respectively.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ravenchrome

Blog it. It's probably one of the best co-op experiences you can find. DragonfireXZ95
Blog? That would probably take me a week.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

Ravenchrome

Well, what they do they do well, I suppose. I can see where people who are into that sort of thing would enjoy it, but I'm not into it. I can't say how much of that score derived from Valve fanboyism, MP Co-op fanboyism, Zombie fanboyism, or the actual quality of the game; but it is what it is.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Blog it. It's probably one of the best co-op experiences you can find. Ravenchrome

"Blog it." Is apparently what people say when they disagree and would prefer you not voice your opinion. :P
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

Ravenchrome

Because it's not a single player game. It's one of the most addictive and fun coop games I've ever played.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Blog it. It's probably one of the best co-op experiences you can find. MrSelf-Destruct

"Blog it." Is apparently what people say when they disagree and would prefer you not voice your opinion. :P

Because it can't be proven that it's bad. It simply is one of the best co-op experiences you can find. If you guys can disprove that, then go ahead, I dare you.

Also, list another FPS game that has a better co-op experience.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
I thought both games were decent. Nothing special, really. Fun for a little bit, but they got old quick.Doolz2024
this.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Ravenchrome"] Blog? That would probably take me a week.

DragonfireXZ95

Because it can't be proven that it's bad. It simply is one of the best co-op experiences you can find. If you guys can disprove that, then go ahead, I dare you. Also, list another game that has a better co-op experience.

I haven't played enough of it online to be a judge. Hell, I don't play enough online co-op in anything to have something to compare it to. I just don't get why people always say "blog it" when it's clearly a valid topic. If "blog it" was the answer to every thread without possibility of an objective conclusion then all of System Wars would exist in our blogs. Besides, you say it's one of the best co-op experiences out there. Here's the thread. Elaborate and make your opinion known. Or would you rather comment in his blog?

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i don't care for them. i beat the single player and that was it, i don't like the multiplayer. i probably have ten hours played between both games.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] "Blog it." Is apparently what people say when they disagree and would prefer you not voice your opinion. :P MrSelf-Destruct

Because it can't be proven that it's bad. It simply is one of the best co-op experiences you can find. If you guys can disprove that, then go ahead, I dare you. Also, list another game that has a better co-op experience.

I haven't played enough of it online to be a judge. Hell, I don't play enough online co-op in anything to have something to compare it to. I just don't get why people always say "blog it" when it's clearly a valid topic. If "blog it" was the answer to every thread without possibility of an objective conclusion then all of System Wars would exist in our blogs. Besides, you say it's one of the best co-op experiences out there. Here's the thread. Elaborate and make your opinion known. Or would you rather comment in his blog?

It's a known fact, for people that have actually played the game. This is a completely redundant thread.

I play lots of online co-op with my buds and this one is easily one of the top, especially for the FPS genre.

If you play all of your games alone, then you aren't enjoying gaming to it's fullest. Playing with randoms can also be disheartening at times. This is one of those games.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
You need at least 2 friends to enjoy L4D series. Playing solo or with random people tend to be less enjoyable.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

This is just your personal opinion so again it should be a blog; I myself have had more fun with the L4D games than any other shooter this gen I think, I do however only ever play it with friends or more often than not family. To say it was released to make quick easy money given the amount of support both games have seen since release is just trolling a company who you must have some respect for seeing as you have a Gordan Freeman avatar, or are we throwing our toys because we still haven't heard any news about HL3? (I agree that is frustrating but its better to wait for something amazing than get HL2.5).

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Because it can't be proven that it's bad. It simply is one of the best co-op experiences you can find. If you guys can disprove that, then go ahead, I dare you. Also, list another game that has a better co-op experience.DragonfireXZ95

It's a known fact, for people that have actually played the game. This is a completely redundant thread.

I play lots of online co-op with my buds and this one is easily one of the top, especially for the FPS genre.

If you play all of your games alone, then you aren't enjoying gaming to it's fullest. Playing with randoms can also be disheartening at times. This is one of those games.

Er.... So in your opinion it is a known "fact" that this game is the best co-op experience out there? I'm not going to argue whether it is or not, I already said I'm in no position to. But if there is anyone else who has played enough of the game to argue otherwise, how could it be a "fact" and how could this thread be redundant? It simply makes no sense. It is known fact, in fact, that your fact makes no sense. So blog it. :P
ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
I grew tired of L4D2 pretty quick, but L4D is still the most fun I've had this gen with any game, maybe ever. It was something fresh, it stands out from the rest of the big shooters with its coop and design, and imo it definately has that Valve polish.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] I haven't played enough of it online to be a judge. Hell, I don't play enough online co-op in anything to have something to compare it to. I just don't get why people always say "blog it" when it's clearly a valid topic. If "blog it" was the answer to every thread without possibility of an objective conclusion then all of System Wars would exist in our blogs. Besides, you say it's one of the best co-op experiences out there. Here's the thread. Elaborate and make your opinion known. Or would you rather comment in his blog?

MrSelf-Destruct

Er.... So in your opinion it is a known "fact" that this game is the best co-op experience out there? I'm not going to argue whether it is or not, I already said I'm in no position to. But if there is anyone else who has played enough of the game to argue otherwise, how could it be a "fact" and how could this thread be redundant? It simply makes no sense. It is known fact, in fact, that your fact makes no sense. So blog it. :P

Maybe you should blog your opinions about co-op shooters instead of wasting your time on something you know nothing about? :P

Or, instead of arguing with someone who actually has played the game, maybe you should go actually play it with a friend.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

DragonfireXZ95

Maybe you should blog your opinions about co-op shooters instead of wasting your time on something you know nothing about? :P

Or, instead of arguing with someone who actually has played the game, maybe you should go actually play it with a friend.

I'm not arguing with you about the quality of the game. Where have I done such? I'm only arguing against this erroneous notion that your opinion is fact and all opinions belong in blogs. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-635601fd996cc
People say, blog it, because this is definitely not a System Wars topic. If anything it should go in general games, or better yet, your blog.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrSelf-Destruct
People say, blog it, because this is definitely not a System Wars topic. If anything it should go in general games, or better yet, your blog. ocstew
Do we not argue about the quality of various games all day everyday here in System Wars? How is this thread any different?
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I really liked Left 4 Dead 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-635601fd996cc
[QUOTE="ocstew"]People say, blog it, because this is definitely not a System Wars topic. If anything it should go in general games, or better yet, your blog. MrSelf-Destruct
Do we not argue about the quality of various games all day everyday here in System Wars? How is this thread any different?

Actually, scrolling down the first page of System Wars no, not really. It should be one game versus another or simply what a game scored. Not something as personal as surprise hit sucked.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Left 4 Dead was a huge miss with me. It felt to me the same way Call of Duty does... juust keeps throwing the same stuff at you non stop so that even if things are "different" (i.e. the AI Director) you couldn't tell because you're ALWAYS having stuff thrown at you.

Metaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Metaw
Member since 2010 • 387 Posts

If mediocre comes with one of the best co-op experiences around then I'll take more of that. This world needs more co-op, especially for campaign modes.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Because it can't be proven that it's bad. It simply is one of the best co-op experiences you can find. If you guys can disprove that, then go ahead, I dare you. Also, list another game that has a better co-op experience.DragonfireXZ95

If you don't take it too seriously then randoms are fine, or at least were in the beginning, it's gone downhill since the early days. There should be separate modes for serious and casual gamers, I can have fun with either but when you get them mixed up (which is most of the time) that's when it starts to suck.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DragonfireXZ95

Left 4 Dead was a huge miss with me. It felt to me the same way Call of Duty does... juust keeps throwing the same stuff at you non stop so that even if things are "different" (i.e. the AI Director) you couldn't tell because you're ALWAYS having stuff thrown at you.

DigitalExile
That's why L4D2 spiced things up so much.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] I haven't played enough of it online to be a judge. Hell, I don't play enough online co-op in anything to have something to compare it to. I just don't get why people always say "blog it" when it's clearly a valid topic. If "blog it" was the answer to every thread without possibility of an objective conclusion then all of System Wars would exist in our blogs. Besides, you say it's one of the best co-op experiences out there. Here's the thread. Elaborate and make your opinion known. Or would you rather comment in his blog?

ManicAce

If you don't take it too seriously then randoms are fine, or at least were in the beginning, it's gone downhill since the early days. There should be separate modes for serious and casual gamers, I can have fun with either but when you get them mixed up (which is most of the time) that's when it starts to suck.

Yeah, randoms work much of the time actually, it's just those few times where you have to rage because your team is so bad.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]

DragonfireXZ95

That's why L4D2 spiced things up so much.

I didn't notice much of a difference. A special zombie attacking me in one spot over another isn't really diversity, to me, not when you have so much of it happening and can (for the most part) combat it. The exception is the tanks, but there were (correct me if I'm wrong) tank spawn areas, or crecendo battles of some kind...

I dunno, just, all the praise Left 4 Dead gets and I look at it and think "Huh?" because I'm just not seeing it. As I said in my first post, if something special, unique, different does happen it's covered up by all the stuff being thrown at you anyway so that it just becomes "one more thing to shoot" and not really anything to stop and think about. That's how I felt anyway. Maybe there's a whole bunch of stuff going on in the background that I missed, I don't know. It just didn't impress me at all. =/

The above applies to the sequel as much as the original.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#48 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Desagree. I think it´s the best coop formula in a videogame.

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
I've only played L4D2, but it seems a pretty shallow game to me. It was pretty fun to play through the levels with a friend. But I've found absolutely no reason to go back to it.