LBP vs. NSMBW

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dick_Derringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dick_Derringer
Member since 2008 • 331 Posts

IMO, LBP easily crushes NSMBW.

The R1 grab mechanic adds a whole new dimension to the platforming.

Co-op is actually fun in LBP where it's just frustrating in NSMBW.

The levels are generally designed better.

Local AND online co-op

Going at a super high speed is always a rush of joy.

Sackboy is adorable.

Better graphics (duh)

A MUCH MUCH MUCH better soundtrack.

And that's not even mentioning the level creator

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

I'm going with LBP hands down, but I admit I've only put in about 2 hours into NSMB Wii while I've Platinum-ed LBP ... I'll give my reasons tomorrow, it's already 2 in the morning here and I have a big test in like 6 hours.

Panosola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Panosola
Member since 2006 • 2150 Posts
New Super Mario Bros Wii is a lot better.....
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
LBP is a fun game I will say, but it pretty much fails as a serious platformer.
Dick_Derringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dick_Derringer
New Super Mario Bros Wii is a lot better.....Panosola
Why?
yanbuco2712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 yanbuco2712
Member since 2006 • 456 Posts

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a lot better.....Panosola

Because?

LBP has better graphics, better sound(imo),4-player online and offline co op, thousands of online FREE levels, robustlevel creator etc.

Panosola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Panosola
Member since 2006 • 2150 Posts
[QUOTE="Panosola"]New Super Mario Bros Wii is a lot better.....Dick_Derringer
Why?

Gameplay>>>>>>Graphics Good graphics don't make a good game.New Super Mario Bros Wii graphics is 2D&3D and it is fun,big replay value,very good gameplay and it is Mario.
Dick_Derringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dick_Derringer
[QUOTE="Dick_Derringer"][QUOTE="Panosola"]New Super Mario Bros Wii is a lot better.....Panosola
Why?

Gameplay>>>>>>Graphics Good graphics don't make a good game.New Super Mario Bros Wii graphics is 2D&3D and it is fun,big replay value,very good gameplay and it is Mario.

You didn't say anything in that post. I don't think you've played LBP.
raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
[QUOTE="Dick_Derringer"][QUOTE="Panosola"][QUOTE="Dick_Derringer"] Why?

You didn't say anything in that post. That Zelda sig alone explains his post I don't think you've played LBP.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

New super mario bros wii is a definite ode to super mario bros 3. But in terms of level design it may be the most sporadic game I've ever played. Some worlds are utterly genius (world 7, world 2, world 6), and some worlds have pathetic game design (word 1, world 3). Haunted mansions all sucked and should have been left out. Littlebigplanet was really inconsistent too though. Some levels were genius. India levels were amazing. Same with the south american levels. The graphics were better. Some levels sucked the first 3 levels (where I guess this is why people call it a bad platformer). But I had probably more fun with littlebigplanet than new super mario bros wii.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nhh18

Dancing koopas are genius and awesome.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Pure platforming. it's mario by a wide margin. The platforming in LBP is just off LBP just has more going for it overall as a game to make up for that weak platforming though. LBP in this case.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

LBP is hands down the worst platformer i have ever played. You can't be serious with this.

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

Little Big Planet's platforming mechanics made it impossible to take seriously as a platforming game; its far too floaty to be precise, whereas NSMB is a true 2D platformer in that the levels are designed for it. LBP's levels are designed to showcase the talent of the authors.

I do love LBP, though, I love what it set out to do, I love the editor and I love the fact you can play online. I wouldnt say it had a better soundtrack than NSMB's though, and I actually prefer the co-op in the latter game.

If you were to amalgamate the two games, you would have (probably) the best 2D platformer ever; both have their strengths and weaknesses. Based on the precision factor alone, though, I would have to give the upper hand to NSMB.

Besides, LBP lags awfully when online, which is why I can appreciate why they left it out in NSMB.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nhh18

Pure platforming. it's mario by a wide margin. The platforming in LBP is just off LBP just has more going for it overall as a game to make up for that weak platforming though. LBP in this case. jg4xchamp
this is another thing I hate. Nothing wrong with the platforming in littlebigplanet. It is just that because it was hyped and it wasn't a franchise. I hate this because people who probably say this spent 15 minutes on the game and passed it off as average. Games like this should get more buyers with games like viva pinata, and kameo. The game was hyped through the roof so people expected perfection and be every aspect they love, and end up disappointing a few because they expected it to control like mario instead of littlebigplanet.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

LBP is a great game, still play it to this day (occasionally)... plan to get the PSP version soon...

However i had the change to see NSMBW in action and looks fun, so i think those into platformers should definately check both titles..

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Pure platforming. it's mario by a wide margin. The platforming in LBP is just off LBP just has more going for it overall as a game to make up for that weak platforming though. LBP in this case. nhh18

this is another thing I hate. Nothing wrong with the platforming in littlebigplanet. It is just that because it was hyped and it wasn't a franchise. I hate this because people who probably say this spent 15 minutes on the game and passed it off as average. Games like this should get more buyers with games like viva pinata, and kameo. The game was hyped through the roof so people expected perfection and be every aspect they love, and end up disappointing a few because they expected it to control like mario instead of littlebigplanet.

I beat the single player :| I have a ton of the community levels PSN ID=Terror531. It's just off to me. It isn't as precise to me at times, and it could have been done better. Some of the level design was just inconsistant. A flaw is a flaw....theres nothing wrong with acknowledging that a damn good game has a flaw.

I love Assassin's Creed 2 but i'll tell you right now The platforming could use some work in the tombs, the last 2 tombs were annoying as hell because of crap like the camera being fixed for specific parts and just messing with the controls enough to screw you up. Than there is the whole part where sometimes he won't grab something that he could clearly grab for the last 3 hours.

The story is just poorly handled. It's good, the characters are awesome but it's like a 10 year tale(or was it 20) being told, but it feels like 4 days have passed. The change in time was never felt throughout the game, you were just told another year went by.

I could keep going, but that's all that is when people don't like LBPs platforming. It's lacking some precision in certain cases, it's lacking, the strong jump just isn't as responsive some times. And the more timing oriented jumps are just a pain in the ass to do in that game.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nhh18

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Pure platforming. it's mario by a wide margin. The platforming in LBP is just off LBP just has more going for it overall as a game to make up for that weak platforming though. LBP in this case. jg4xchamp

I beat the single player :| I have a ton of the community levels PSN ID=Terror531. It's just off to me. It isn't as precise to me at times, and it could have been done better. Some of the level design was just inconsistant. A flaw is a flaw....theres nothing wrong with acknowledging that a damn good game has a flaw.

I love Assassin's Creed 2 but i'll tell you right now The platforming could use some work in the tombs, the last 2 tombs were annoying as hell because of crap like the camera being fixed for specific parts and just messing with the controls enough to screw you up. Than there is the whole part where sometimes he won't grab something that he could clearly grab for the last 3 hours.

The story is just poorly handled. It's good, the characters are awesome but it's like a 10 year tale(or was it 20) being told, but it feels like 4 days have passed. The change in time was never felt throughout the game, you were just told another year went by.

I could keep going, but that's all that is when people don't like LBPs platforming. It's lacking some precision in certain cases, it's lacking, the strong jump just isn't as responsive some times. And the more timing oriented jumps are just a pain in the ass to do in that game.

Ah. I understand. the faults, etc. But I dunno if it is flawed to the point of it is broken. The problem was that there was a long learning curve. But by africa world I was able to get the controls. I felt though nsmb wii controls were great. But I agree to an extent that the jumping mechanics aren't horrible if the level is designed for them. I agree though with camera etc. But, I thought the first 3 levels were piss poor done, and caused the biggest complaints as a result. The jumping mechanic worked remarkably well in later levels (new york, south america, and india). The only other level I thought was terribly done was japan world in terms of precision jumping.

Platformers really are more dependent on anything their level design imo. Look at new super mario bros ds. It was a terrible platformer. Terrible by far the worst in the series because of level design.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="nhh18"]this is another thing I hate. Nothing wrong with the platforming in littlebigplanet. It is just that because it was hyped and it wasn't a franchise. I hate this because people who probably say this spent 15 minutes on the game and passed it off as average. Games like this should get more buyers with games like viva pinata, and kameo. The game was hyped through the roof so people expected perfection and be every aspect they love, and end up disappointing a few because they expected it to control like mario instead of littlebigplanet.

nhh18

Ah. I understand. the faults, etc. But I dunno if it is flawed to the point of it is broken. The problem was that there was a long learning curve. But by africa world I was able to get the controls. I felt though nsmb wii controls were great. But I agree to an extent that the jumping mechanics aren't horrible if the level is designed for them. I agree though with camera etc. But, I thought the first 3 levels were piss poor done, and caused the biggest complaints as a result. The jumping mechanic worked remarkably well in later levels (new york, south america, and india). The only other level I thought was terribly done was japan world in terms of precision jumping.

Platformers really are more dependent on anything their level design imo. Look at new super mario bros ds. It was a terrible platformer. Terrible by far the worst in the series because of level design.

agreed...i always feel like i'm the only one that didn't think too highly of NSMB DS :p

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Pure platforming. it's mario by a wide margin. The platforming in LBP is just off LBP just has more going for it overall as a game to make up for that weak platforming though. LBP in this case. nhh18

Its not broken, but there is a lot wrong with the platforming in LBP. The only reason the mario comparison came up is because thats what the comparison is in the OP. The jumping mechanic stayed the same throughout the game, and all of the levels suffered for it. Had they tightened up the controls just a tiny bit to make precision platforming actually possibly, it would have been awesome, even with the floatyness. I just expected sackboy to feel heavier than he was.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
LBP. Its a different focus of platforming. All about User Generated Content, which is a step forwards for console games. And it has a very charming, unique sense of style and personality.
kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

no doubt mario has more responsive controls but at the end of the day mario is only a piece of the puzzle that is lbp. As the editor and community is the drawcard to lbp

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I dont know about better levels in LBP, controls are much better in NSMBW as well. I enjoy them both though.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts
Some of you should take a closer look at NSMBW's level design. Thats really all i have to say
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#25 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

they're both pretty close i think.

NSMBW is the better platformer mechanics, but for me - mostly - i'm riding in nastalgic fumes in order to enjoy it.If Mario ever gives the ability to essentially copy LBP but give it a Mario spin on it. that'd be very interesting. but as usual it seems for the most part Nintendo plays it safe with it's audience. Mario Galaxy was amazing and even has tempted to buy a Wii just for that game, and they're doing it again with Metroid Other M. but this one... eh... if i had enough friends who had a Wii i'd get it. as i can see the camera being less of an issue as it is in LBP.

LBP however, i think has some issues (not many but just a feel more then NSMBW), but the replay value is immense, i could spend days just playing other peoples levels. i've yet to have ever sat down and made my own level - and doubt i i ever will. but i do love some of the levels people have made.

-Skeletor-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Skeletor-
Member since 2002 • 1030 Posts

Anyone who is a hardcore platform gamer will LAUGH at LBP. The physics are way too slow and floaty, when you run you don't actually pick up much speed to accelerate.. feels like you're always moving at a constant speed. The level design in mario games is FAR SUPERIOR and better crafted than LBP. If you really want to build levels in NSMBWii there is software out there to do so which is far more customizable than LBP and you can use a PC to make levels without worry of jerks at Sony deleting your levels.

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

I haven't played NSMBW but it gets my vote, best part of LBP was the music IMO

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
As a pure platformer is not hard to beat LBP as a whole game, well that's a VERY different story
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34795 Posts

They're good at different things. Love them both, but if I had to choose one, I'd choose NSMBW. I thought the multi-player was good in NSMBW as well, and the single-player is much better, so I prefer Mario.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

[QUOTE="Panosola"]New Super Mario Bros Wii is a lot better.....yanbuco2712

Because?

LBP has better graphics, better sound(imo),4-player online and offline co op, thousands of online FREE levels, robustlevel creator etc.

You mentioned everything but the gampely. The LBP gameplay is just not tight. It's very floaty and it's more of an experience of cool constructions. While some of those FREE levels are good, and it's interesting to see what people have made, it's obvious many of those FREE levels are made by amateuers.

Sometimes you get what you pay for with that the free levels.

They are both good games, but they do offer two entirely different experiences.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
LBP Really wish NSMBW (What a ridiculous title) didn't have hit detection when you're playing co-op with a friend. Dying because of your friend is not fun.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

As a pure platformer is not hard to beat LBP as a whole game, well that's a VERY different storyGiancar
agreed. nsmb might have better platforming but its not a better game so LBP gets my vote

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bread_or_Decide
LBP physics were pretty awesome. This "floaty" nonsense just means "hey LBP is not like other platformers." Kinda reminds me of the KZ2 weighty gun feel. Just because it's not like other games doesn't mean it's bad. Why must everything play the same for people to accept it?
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
NSMBW hands down!
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#36 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
This is a joke. We're comparing a game that doesn't push the boundaries of the genre in any way to what is bassically a 'create you own game' game. Honestly, New Super mario Brothers is pretty much another cash grab by Nintendo. Another Mario game for Nintendo to rake more cash in with. Not that thats a terrible thing, it doesn't prevent the game from being good but it's a joke to try and compare it to Little Big Planet.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bread_or_Decide
LBP also has the better boss battles. Those koopa siblings sucked. Pretty much the same battle over n over again.
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

New Super Mario Bros >>> Little Big Planet, by far and I'll explain why. In a platforming game the most important element is not the graphics, sound or anything else, its the actual platforming mechanics and how the gameplay works. LBP is a great game but as a platformer its actually quite weak, the characters float in the air too much and the jumping is not responsive enough for precision platforming, it just isn't. Also, moving between fields in LBP was poorly executed.

Mario on the other hand nails the platforming perfectly, which is understandable since Nintendo have been making Mario games for over two decades. They know how to make a platforming game and when it comes down to it, no game can match Mario when it comes to platforming gameplay, except maybe Crash 2 :P

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
are you kidding? LBP is a joke.. level creation is cool, but the actual game is lackluster at best.
Lantern-Cusp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Lantern-Cusp
Member since 2009 • 739 Posts

Without a doubt LBP is superior in every way. Only reason anyone would say otherwise is if they are obsessed with Mario to the point of bias delusion or if they haven't played LBP. Just for reference I still play Super Mario World SNES all the time.

LegendofNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LegendofNerd
Member since 2007 • 2140 Posts

As far as platforming goes, I find NSMBW to be far better than LBP; the controls are a bit more to my liking, the level designs are top notch (not to say that LBP level design isn't good), and to me, it seems like everything just "clicks".

As far as which is the overall better game, however, that's a bit tougher to call.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

The jumping feels off in LBP. That alone makes a plataformer bad.

InfiniteBlak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 InfiniteBlak
Member since 2009 • 794 Posts
Little Big Planet is one of the best games ever made, NSMB is cool but nowhere near the level of LBP.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
LBP physics were pretty awesome. This "floaty" nonsense just means "hey LBP is not like other platformers." Kinda reminds me of the KZ2 weighty gun feel. Just because it's not like other games doesn't mean it's bad. Why must everything play the same for people to accept it?Bread_or_Decide
not everything has to play the same but from the responses it doesn't play better for most ppl.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
NSMB Wii is great
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Level creator or not, the actual platforming aspect of LBP is by far the weakest aspect of the game, and thats the most important. NSMBWii has the trademark mario platforming, making it the games strongest suit, along with tight controls, level design and yes, music
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
LBP Really wish NSMBW (What a ridiculous title) didn't have hit detection when you're playing co-op with a friend. Dying because of your friend is not fun. Bread_or_Decide
no, that is part of the fun. bouncing off your friend's head. anyway, you can hit 'A' anytime you get knocked in a way you don't expect to keep from losing a life
Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Stats_
Member since 2009 • 2352 Posts

Not my kind of games. They're both sleep inducing.

However, for comparisons sake, i'd say Mario is the better game.

LBP is mostly praised for it's level creator, which i also think is kinda lame, the platforming elements are weak, although the physics involved are impressive.

Mario is a standard, true to tradtion platformer, with more "gameplay" then LBP.

Still, both games suck, imo.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

The platforming in LBP is not worse than it is in Mario games, it's just different. And the ability to grab some materials and move things, or swing from things, the way all the different materials have different properties and physics, the contraptions, vehicles, and gizmos you can make, the paint gun... all that equals LBP being a FAR better game than any Mario game, not to mention the creativity and originality vs. Mario's 20 years worth of rehashes. Same game, same characters, same plot. The biggest difference between NSMB and SMB3 is that instead of 1-2 players taking turns, you have 1-4 players playing together (and getting in each others way and knocking each other off platforms). Oh, and if you suck really bad, after enough fails apparently the game takes pity on you and shows you how to beat the stage.

LBP- Gamespot 9.0, Metacritic 95

NSMBW- Gamespot 8.5, Metacritic 87

Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Stats_
Member since 2009 • 2352 Posts

The platforming in LBP is not worse than it is in Mario games, it's just different. And the ability to grab some materials and move things, or swing from things, the way all the different materials have different properties and physics, the contraptions, vehicles, and gizmos you can make, the paint gun... all that equals LBP being a FAR better game than any Mario game, not to mention the creativity and originality vs. Mario's 20 years worth of rehashes. Same game, same characters, same plot. The biggest difference between NSMB and SMB3 is that instead of 1-2 players taking turns, you have 1-4 players playing together (and getting in each others way and knocking each other off platforms). Oh, and if you suck really bad, after enough fails apparently the game takes pity on you and shows you how to beat the stage.

LBP- Gamespot 9.0, Metacritic 95

NSMBW- Gamespot 8.5, Metacritic 87

ianuilliam

You forgot to say. IMO. Since that wall of text was opinion. Or "fact" based on opinions.

Also, standards change, would LBP have scored so high if it was released after NSMBW??? I doubt it ...