Launch Xbox One Comparable to Launch 20GB PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Seriously...anyone who gets a Xbox One at launch with its tiny irreplaceable 500GB is getting ripped off bad. The console will be useless in 12 months max.

Get this: Killzone Shadowfall has a mandatory 42 GB install. Ryse has a 45 GB install. Forza and the Walking Dead has a 35 GB install.

Keep in mind these are launch games. LAUNCH games. Not even 1st generation titles like iNfamous Second Son which will likely have a larger install.

500 GBs will be gone in no time - and you have no way to upgrade the HDD unlike the PS4.

but, but but but, I only buy DIsc games! Doesnt matter. These installs are huge and required. Also all those free games on PS+ and Xbox live? You HAVE to download those. 50 GBs a pop too.

500 GBs now is as good as 20GBs in 2006...Good thing I'll be upgrading my PS4 HDD to 2TB ASAP.

Meanwhile the only choice of upgrade for Xbox One launch consoles will be...a new console. Of course Microsoft probably doesnt expect their console to last more then 2 years, so you'll be buying a new one anyway.

Final Verdict? PS4 is the only next gen option until Microsoft releases at minimum a 1TB system.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

Someone must have forgotten that external hdd's exist?

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Think those are the size of the full games. You shouldn't have to install all of the game to play it. You can still play games off of the disc. I'm pretty sure anyways.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#4 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

I'm fairly confident that if your system memory becomes full, one can delete the data they no longer need to install additional games. The system doesn't become a lemon/worthless once the memory becomes full. That is silly talk.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@2ndwonder said:

External HDD support will be patched in at a later date, but hopefully within the year's time otherwise the TC might be unhappy.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@2ndwonder said:

Neither the PS4 or Xbox One will support those at launch. The Wii U is the only new home console with any external hard drive support even though it is just with USBs.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/165586-ps4-and-xbox-one-wont-support-external-hard-drives-for-now

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

10 games FULLY installed not enough?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

no, not really, the 500GB X1 should allow for around 10 games at least, the 20GB console barely allowed for squat given the size of updates, game saves, mandatory installs, firmware updates, and made even worse by a horrible memory management system, no, not even close

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

Lets say at launch I buy Forza, Ryse, Dead Rising. I just used 30% of my total available LIFETIME space in one day?

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@k2theswiss said:

Lets say at launch I buy Forza, Ryse, Dead Rising. I just used 30% of my total available LIFETIME space in one day?

You're absolutely correct TC. Once you install 10 games on your Xbox One, not only will you never be able to play any other game on that console, but your Xbox One will actually defecate on your carpet and explode.

Why didn't Microsoft think about this beforehand?

Your illumination and insight is inspiring. You should call up M$ immediately and inform them of this oversight!

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@BranKetra: Yet support is coming after launch.

ManInFlames-77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ManInFlames-77
Member since 2013 • 300 Posts

Then get the disc version

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@BranKetra: Yet support is coming after launch.

"When?" is the question.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

HDD's from this generation used a significant chunk of space for backwards compatibility so 20gb was in reality a lot less.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

PS4 is future proof.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Hint: you can always delete the install data of a game once you're done or you're planning on playing 10 games at the same time?

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

I don't know anyone who plays more than 10 games at a time so i think the X1 fans will be ok for a year or 2.

Realistically you only play max 3 games at a time. Heck i only play 1 at a time on my PS3, 2 if i go get some headshots on COD and my main single player game (GTA 5 for now)

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

You can play games as they install and if it's true that the console automatically manages your games then I don't think it'll matter. Do I need them all installed permanently? No, I only play a few games at a time.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

The PS4 harddrive can be replaced? You can install Killzone on the XBO? Wow, th XBO is more powerful than I thought. But seriously, number one we don't know how what the size of each of these games will be and after launch, there's going to be a gap in releases anyone, maybe no new games until March when Titanfall comes out or even when Watch Dogs come out, whichever comes first. By then you could probably just delete whichever game you don't want at that point or you probably won't have to do that cause you'll have enough space anyways. Plus by the you could probably just use an external harddrive anyways. This is a none issue seeing that both of them comes with the same account of harddrive space and this is the launch of consoles so there's more than enough time to get you a bigger harddrive to install your games in the future. So relax with your rant, not that serious.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@HalcyonScarlet:

Exactly, I think this is a pointless rant cause if you know the facts, it's a non issue.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I'm fairly confident that if your system memory becomes full, one can delete the data they no longer need to install additional games. The system doesn't become a lemon/worthless once the memory becomes full. That is silly talk.

Where do you get these crazy notiions!!

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#23 VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007: Killzone SF is reported to have about 40GB, and Titanfall and Watch Dogs won't need much less, I guess. 500GB is okay for a console hard drive, but I also think that given it's "next-gen" and both SEN and Xbox Live offer also to download movies and other stuff, 1TB would have been better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@VintAge68:

Like I said, you can install Killzone on the XBO? Why is this even in the conversation as a negative for the XBO?

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

@2ndwonder: Yeah Xbox lets you add space. Buy a 1TB drive and now you have 1.5TB of space. You're actually adding an extra TB from your 1TB drive. PS4 option is you buy a 1TB drive, you lose your old 500GB drive and you've only added 500GB despite having to pay for a TB.

Additionally, you have to redownload the 500gb of content you had on your old drive, probably breaking even the largest of bandwidth caps. If you need more storage space later, you have to do the whole process over again, except they don't even make drives larger than 1TB that can fit inside of a PS4 so you can't. On Xbox, just buy a drive and plug it into a USB3 port and you're done.

There are no benefits to the Sony approach. It's nothing but limitations. Only the blindest of fanboys would spin the Sony approach as the better one.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

You *Can* add an external HDD...

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

No, it's comparable to the Xbox 360 core.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I'm fascinated by all these savvy consumer types giving other people advise on what to spend their money on, on a gaming forum.

What's your motivation OP?.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Seriously...anyone who gets a Xbox One at launch with its tiny irreplaceable 500GB is getting ripped off bad. The console will be useless in 12 months max.

Get this: Killzone Shadowfall has a mandatory 42 GB install. Ryse has a 45 GB install. Forza and the Walking Dead has a 35 GB install.

Keep in mind these are launch games. LAUNCH games. Not even 1st generation titles like iNfamous Second Son which will likely have a larger install.

500 GBs will be gone in no time - and you have no way to upgrade the HDD unlike the PS4.

but, but but but, I only buy DIsc games! Doesnt matter. These installs are huge and required. Also all those free games on PS+ and Xbox live? You HAVE to download those. 50 GBs a pop too.

500 GBs now is as good as 20GBs in 2006...Good thing I'll be upgrading my PS4 HDD to 2TB ASAP.

Meanwhile the only choice of upgrade for Xbox One launch consoles will be...a new console. Of course Microsoft probably doesnt expect their console to last more then 2 years, so you'll be buying a new one anyway.

Final Verdict? PS4 is the only next gen option until Microsoft releases at minimum a 1TB system.

Lol, Cows gonna Cow.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#30  Edited By VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

@Senor_Kami:

There are no benefits to the Sony approach. It's nothing but limitations. Only the blindest of fanboys would spin the Sony approach as the better one. [sic]

Anyway, both MS's and Sony's answer regarding physical drive space limitations will be the increasing importance of the Cloud computing architecture for video gaming, I guess.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

A bad launch is only bad when the actual day the product hits the store shelves it has no good games, doesn't work or perform as advertised prior too. But if said company expresses certain issues before hand and applies dates in the future certain functions will be accessible, then you knew before hand. Neither console has had a bad launch because neither is on store shelves and both Sony and MS are likely burning the midnight oil to fix and patch the hell out of everything.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@senses_fail_06 said:

Think those are the size of the full games. You shouldn't have to install all of the game to play it. You can still play games off of the disc. I'm pretty sure anyways.

true. Those 45GB of Killzone are only if you decide to install the entire game on HDD if not it'll only install a small portion for catching and that's it.

I'm trying to find the twitt from Yoshida but the guy writes like 200 twitts per day!

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

You don't need a big HDD when the games are only shipping with 720p art assets. The XB1 will be fine in that regard. Plus, the XB1 games are compressed anyway.

As for the PS4 and it's 1080p uncompressed games... the PS4 HDD is removable and upgradable - fill it up? Buy another one and swap it out. Or just buy a compatible 1TB notebook HDD and pop that in it.