the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

I'm glad that they're going to revive this game , when an ambitious projects goes down it is sad , but when a good game flops it is tragic and this remaster gives this franchise another chance , I'm really happy it's coming back

=================

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-is-getting-a-rereleas/1100-6478030/

=================

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the 2012 RPG from controversial former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling's ill-fated development studio 38 Studios and publisher EA, is making a comeback of sorts.

New rights-owner THQ Nordic is re-releasing the game in August with Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning. German studio Kaiko is said to be handling the re-release.

The product description on Xbox.com states Re-Reckoning will release on August 11. All the DLC from the original game--including Teeth of Naros and Legend of Dead Kel--is included with the re-release. The game also promises "improved graphical fidelity." You can check out a series of images in the gallery above.

The Xbox product page appears to have gone live too soon, as THQ Nordic has yet to formally announce Re-Reckoning.

In September 2018, after THQ Nordic acquired the rights to Kingdoms of Amalur, the company confirmed to Eurogamer that Electronic Arts continued to hold the publishing rights to the franchise, so a re-release would require their approval. The two companies have now seemingly worked out an arrangement.

Original developer 38 Studios went bankrupt, and the fallout caused a great deal of controversy in the developer's home state of Rhode Island. Studio founder Curt Schilling now works for the conservative website Breitbart.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17436 Posts

Awesome, game was so underrated .

We can finally get proper 4k support on PC

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10590 Posts

Are they gonna fix the bugs, like the ones that made me quit playing?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34637 Posts

Never played it and have a very mild interest.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#6 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

Heard lots of good stuff about this game with its amazing combat and some memorable quest but eh, its almost a decade old game dont think it will hold up that well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56156 Posts

Kingdoms of Amalur was an awesome game back in 2012 and this game had a huge controversy regarding Road Island, that game nearly broke the entire State because the State gave Curt Schilling $75 million to make KoA. I be surprise if this remaster has anything to give Road Island a share of the sale.

@sakaixx said:

Heard lots of good stuff about this game with its amazing combat and some memorable quest but eh, its almost a decade old game dont think it will hold up that well.

Have you played the first Fable game before? The art style of these games are often being described as similar.

The combat in KoA is great and very rewarding. It's action based with finishers and combos. The progression is done well, you can really feel the progress you make with your character, (as a full mage late game you are basically a god) and you can multi-class between the three standard archetypes (rogue, warrior, mage) or specialize in any of them, each way with its own perks.

It's not some kind of masterpiece by any means, but I do highly recommend you try it out for yourself once this remaster is release.

@madrocketeer said:

Are they gonna fix the bugs, like the ones that made me quit playing?

Who knows. Support stop soon after the game's release, I have to assume the bugs will get fixed once the remaster is release.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

To much like a MMO.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39011 Posts

What is up with 10 remasters coming out every week. I have never seen this much milking.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1249 Posts

Really solid game overall. Has much better combat then most rpgs. Nice character progression system too. The quests actually have decent stories, it's just that they're presented in a really bland way.

I've beaten it twice on Xbox 360. Also own the Steam version but haven't played it... if they fix some of the bugs might get this version when it's cheap. Hope they release a sequel or spiritual successor at some point.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7293 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

What is up with 10 remasters coming out every week. I have never seen this much milking.

I think it makes sense for KoA though as the game kinda got overshadowed by Skyrim upon release. This is a second chance for an overlooked game.

Not sure I'll double dip, but hopefully some people who missed it the first time will give it a shot now.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

This was a pretty good game I enjoyed quite a bit, with a few fatal flaws though that kept me from finishing. The obscenely narrow, nausea-inducing FOV and the horrendous pop-in should be relatively easy fixes in the remaster (if they don't address that then what's the point of this re-release?) but the biggest problem was the lack of difficulty. You could stunlock just about every enemy in the the game almost from the get-go, and that's something that the usual fix of stat bloating won't solve, they'd need to adjust or redo the enemy AI and I just don't see that happening unfortunately.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44239 Posts

Well that’s some pretty cool news. I still have the 360 version of the game and while I haven’t finished it I did really enjoy what I played. Would certainly be interested in getting a remastered version.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Very dull game that suffered from huge imbalances in gameplay. Most notably overlevelling the entire game about halfway through (same as Witcher 3 unless you skipped tons of content) but W3 has other things that partially made up for this. Kingdom doesn't.

I have no idea how this game got such a good reputation but it needs a lot more than a remaster to transform it into something worth playing.

Avatar image for thatstevedawson
ThatSteveDawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ThatSteveDawson
Member since 2020 • 16 Posts

That's awesome news!

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Cool. I hope it's more than just a graphical change though. I beat it twice, on PS3 and PC. The PS3 version had a bunch of bugs, but didn't experience any on PC.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2252 Posts

Definitely one of the most underrated games ever, and a bloody shame it broke the developers! Highly recommend anyone who haven’t tried it to give it a go, it’s great! That being said, I don’t have time to play remasters in my life atm, don’t even have time to play all the new gameS coming out!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69602 Posts

I can't wait for next gen slew of remasters. This is exciting. 😒

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#19  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2572 Posts

I find it kinda weird that there is no switch version announced.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@blueinheaven: @Yams1980: For one it has mechanics and a combat system that royally shits on most RPG’s. An RPG with fun combat is a rare sight.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Sweet, I'm looking forward to giving this a go. I never got it back in the day and eventually forgot about it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56156 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5: Talk about a blast from the past. I thought you left GS years ago. Nice to see a friendly face in System Wars for a change :)

Chozofication

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chozofication
Member since 2020 • 231 Posts

I liked it a lot. It lacked polish, but I remember the combat feeling satisfying, and the music was top class from grant kirkhope. With a bit of de bugging, more detail and a 60fps mode, this could be a cool release.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46376 Posts

Huge fan of Big Huge games, and I was sad to see them go.

I'll definitely play this.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3064 Posts

I remember it feeling like WoW with training wheels. Some decent stuff, but also pretty generic. Too bad it never got to the mmo phase.

Is it me or has this news been said before? I just feel like I've written this exact same post previously.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@blueinheaven: @Yams1980: For one it has mechanics and a combat system that royally shits on most RPG’s. An RPG with fun combat is a rare sight.

I remember it as being pretty generic all round. Dull story and dodgy voice overs too. If Metro Exodus devs made a fantasty RPG this is probably how it would turn out.

Fair enough that people seem to be excited about this but I think it needs more than a coat of new paint to overcome its problems, mainly terrible balancing of level scaling through the areas. Maybe they've reworked it a bit, I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Juub1990
@blueinheaven said:

I remember it as being pretty generic all round. Dull story and dodgy voice overs too. If Metro Exodus devs made a fantasty RPG this is probably how it would turn out.

Fair enough that people seem to be excited about this but I think it needs more than a coat of new paint to overcome its problems, mainly terrible balancing of level scaling through the areas. Maybe they've reworked it a bit, I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

The lore is generic as shit and the story is boring and forgettable. The combat and character building are great though which is all I ask from an RPG because lolvideogamestory.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58357 Posts

It's a good game. Essentially a "Fable clone" though I don't like using the term clone as it seems like a disservice.

It is a very original game, has a really great fairy-tale like game world. I forgot the author's name, but they got a professional fantasy writer to do a lot of the writing for the game.

It's one of those games where you can just sit down and enjoy it. It's not all "AAA-epic" so you don't expect much, but it still surprises you in good ways.

@Random_Matt said:

To much like a MMO.

It's funny you mention that because it was more or less a precursor to a would-be KoA: The MMO. The roadmap was originally to make a single-player RPG, generate and gauge interest, then proceed with the MMO.

It's part of the reason there is such a controversy around the game; the studio took a huuuuuuge grant from the state of Road Island iirc and essentially did nothing with it (outside of make a one-off game that was very overlooked).

Definitely one of the more interesting and unfortunate stories of the game industry.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Juub1990

@mrbojangles25 said:

It is a very original game, has a really great fairy-tale like game world. I forgot the author's name, but they got a professional fantasy writer to do a lot of the writing for the game.

R.A. Salvatore known for writing the Dark Elf saga.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I love this game. Never played the DLC so a remaster might be a good excuse to go through the whole lot again.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

This was a great game but it was just too easy, even on hardest level