benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

User Lists: 0

#51 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I'm curious on what the modding community will do to the series, if you've seen the mods used for the Resident Evil games they are both funny and terrifying to watch.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23721 Posts

Pushed myself through the first one, kept thinking it would pick up. Tried the second one and peaced out. Never touched the games since.

I'm sure many will be happy about this, but a big ole meh from me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@madrocketeer: Free & competitive market?

Since when was games bought from one and dlc bought from another don't work, and one store buying exclusivity over another " free & competitive???

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44474 Posts

I really enjoyed the games myself and have purchased the first two multiple times. Got the originals on the PS2, the HD remixes on PS3, and the HD remixes on the Xbox One. Not a PC gamer myself these days but even if I was I probably wouldn’t get the games again. However it’s just always nice to see games being made available on more platforms.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#55  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

Yea, I'm really not buying the one platform argument. You can't even play Kingdom Hearts on Steam, have to get it on EGS, which has different features and other things you might not like about it.

IP Daily 1 Hermits 0

Okay, allow me to spell it out to you one last time, hopefully so you understand this once and for all, alright?

You do not get to arbitrarily define what a "platform" is.

Let's keep it simple and look to Wikipedia to demonstrate what I mean:

A computing platform or digital platform[1] is the environment in which a piece of software is executed. It may be the hardware or the operating system (OS), even a web browser and associated application programming interfaces, or other underlying software, as long as the program code is executed with it. Computing platforms have different abstraction levels, including a computer architecture, an OS, or runtime libraries.[2] A computing platform is the stage on which computer programs can run.

A platform can be seen both as a constraint on the software development process, in that different platforms provide different functionality and restrictions; and as an assistant to the development process, in that they provide low-level functionality ready-made. For example, an OS may be a platform that abstracts the underlying differences in hardware and provides a generic command for saving files or accessing the network.

I've highlighted the important parts. Now, if you scroll down the wiki page, you will find lists of examples of "platforms." Windows is one example. The video game consoles are three more. You know what you won't find? Storefront clients like Steam and EGS. Here's why:

Steam and EGS are not hardware. They are executables that run on the same hardware, i.e. x86-based CISC microarchitectures.

Steam and EGS are not operating systems. They are executables that run on the same operating system, i.e. Microsoft Windows 10 based on the Windows NT Kernel.

Steam and EGS are not application programming interfaces (APIs). They are both Win32-based applications that in fact use many of the same APIs to execute.

Steam and EGS are not web browsers. I know why the wiki page includes them; it's because you can write things like HTML5 and Java-based executables that can be run on web browsers. Steam and EGS have web browsing capabilities, but they use third-party libraries to do so, and more importantly, do not execute the applications they manage with them.

Steam and EGS are just like the games they manage; Win32 applications executed on Windows-based x86 PCs. It is the combination of hardware, operating system and APIs that allow them to be executed that are the environment for the software to be executed. That combination is what a "platform" is.

Nintendo Switch (ARM hardware, custom OS, OpenGL/Vulkan API) is a platform. PlayStation 5 (x86 hardware, custom OS, probably OpenGL API) is a platform. Xbox Series X/S (x86 hardware, custom Windows-based OS, DirectX API) is a platform. A PC (x86 hardware, Windows OS, DirectX and OpenGL/Vulkan APIs) is a platform. Steam and EGS are merely software that runs on the PC platform. Therefore, the PC is a single platform. You do not get to arbitrarily change this definition.

Got that?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 madrocketeer
@i_p_daily said:

@madrocketeer: Free & competitive market?

Since when was games bought from one and dlc bought from another don't work, and one store buying exclusivity over another " free & competitive???

And you, you also do not get to arbitrarily define what a "free market" is. A free market is where goods and services are regulated by an open market and consumers, free from intervention by government or authority, such as the platform owner. The PC market has no such central authority. Any player can enter or exit the market and set prices as they see fit, regulated only by consumer demand and market forces.

And competitive means there are multiple independent players competing against each for share of the same market. The presence of Steam, EGS, GOG and other storefronts fits this bill.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 644 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I really enjoyed the games myself and have purchased the first two multiple times. Got the originals on the PS2, the HD remixes on PS3, and the HD remixes on the Xbox One. Not a PC gamer myself these days but even if I was I probably wouldn’t get the games again. However it’s just always nice to see games being made available on more platforms.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed them. I never really gamed on consoles much other then the NES and SNES back in the day, loved those consoles. I think I might enjoy them and do plan to get them on PC when they are at a lower cost. We tend to have similar taste in games I think, so I think I will probably enjoy them as well.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45408 Posts

@madrocketeer: according to your article, PC is an environment that houses different platforms, hence why Steam and EGS purchases are exclusive to their platform. Hence, THHBO.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By madrocketeer
@SolidGame_basic said:

@madrocketeer: according to your article, PC is an environment that houses different platforms, hence why Steam and EGS purchases are exclusive to their platform. Hence, THHBO.

You ignored the part where neither Steam nor EGS are listed as examples. A PC can indeed host multiple platforms; because PCs are general-purpose hardware that can multi-boot into multiple OSs (for example Windows and Linux), use multiple APIs (for example DirectX and OpenGL), and install multiple browsers (for example, Chrome and Firefox).

I reiterate; Steam and EGS are not hardware. Steam and EGS are not OSs. Steam and EGS are not APIs. Steam and EGS are not platforms. You do not get to arbitrarily redefine what a "platform" is.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@madrocketeer said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

You ignored the part where neither Steam nor EGS are listed as examples. A PC can indeed house multiple platforms; because PCs are general-purpose hardware that can multi-boot into multiple OSs (for example Windows and Linux), use multiple APIs (for example DirectX and OpenGL), and install multiple browsers (for example, Chrome and Firefox).

I reiterate; Steam and EGS are not hardware. Steam and EGS are not OSs. Steam and EGS are not APIs. Steam and EGS are not platforms. You do not get to arbitrarily redefine what a "platform" is.

Browsers are services just like digital platforms like Steam and Epic are services. If you decide to use one platform or another, that's your choice, but trying to equate buying a game on PC as one service is silly. No one here is debating whether you can't download both, we're talking about gaming services. If Firefox offers a free anti virus but Chrome doesn't, that doesn't make you entitled to have the anti virus on both. You simply switch to the other platform.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@madrocketeer: Cute way of saying that Steam, EGS can do whatever the **** they want like locking PC content that should be allowed to be played any any PC, behind their storefront.

PC is a fustercluck, with no one to regulate, so you get shitty paractises like this one and cheaters in every game.

Enjoy your imaginary freedom lol.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

Wait, people are genuinely confused about the PC being a single platform? I can't decide whether that's sad or hilarious.

Let's put it this way - you turn on your system, and you can double click on Kingdom Hearts or Half-Life or Starcraft 2 or Assassin's Creed to play it. They might log you into different stores in the process, but they're all on the same platform.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 madrocketeer
@SolidGame_basic said:

Browsers are services just like digital platforms like Steam and Epic are services. If you decide to use one platform or another, that's your choice, but trying to equate buying a game on PC as one service is silly. No one here is debating whether you can't download both, we're talking about gaming services. If Firefox offers a free anti virus but Chrome doesn't, that does make you entitled to have the anti virus on both. You simply switch to the other platform.

Now you're shifting the goalposts. We were talking about "platforms," and now suddenly we're talking about "services," and now you're trying to redefine "services" as "platforms." Sorry, but again, you do not get to arbitrarily define what a "platform" is.

Steam and EGS are storefronts and content management clients. They exist in the same market, run on the same environment, and operate on the same rules. That broader environment is the PC platform. They offer different services to compete against each other, but they are not mutually exclusive, and neither can exist without the PC platform.

And again, the only reason browsers are regarded as "platforms" in the wiki page is because you can write HTML and Java apps to execute on them.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@madrocketeer said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Browsers are services just like digital platforms like Steam and Epic are services. If you decide to use one platform or another, that's your choice, but trying to equate buying a game on PC as one service is silly. No one here is debating whether you can't download both, we're talking about gaming services. If Firefox offers a free anti virus but Chrome doesn't, that does make you entitled to have the anti virus on both. You simply switch to the other platform.

Now you're shifting the goalposts. We were talking about "platforms," and now suddenly we're talking about "services," and now you're trying to redefine "services" as "platforms." Sorry, but again, you do not get to arbitrarily define what a "platform" is.

Steam and EGS are storefronts and content management clients. They exist in the same market, run on the same environment, and operate on the same rules. That broader environment is the PC platform. They offer different services to compete against each other, but they are not mutually exclusive, and neither can exist without the PC platform.

And again, the only reason browsers are regarded as "platforms" in the wiki page is because you can write HTML and Java apps to execute on them.

It's pretty obvious we were talking about gaming platforms. Back in the day, you put in a CD and played the game..now there are different platforms/services that compete and exclude you from playing the game unless you play on their platform. Pretty amazing how Herms are downplaying this lol. Also, they're not just storefronts. You actually play the game through them...

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By madrocketeer
@i_p_daily said:

@madrocketeer: Cute way of saying that Steam, EGS can do whatever the **** they want like locking PC content that should be allowed to be played any any PC, behind their storefront.

PC is a fustercluck, with no one to regulate, so you get shitty paractises like this one and cheaters in every game.

Enjoy your imaginary freedom lol.

That has never been a new practice. Film studios have signed exclusivity contracts for intellectual properties pretty much since there was a film industry. Is it irritating? Sure. So why do they do it? Because they work. I regard EGS as not the competition we want, but the competition we need.

And again, I point to the GFWL example. They tried to charge people for online, and they failed because the free market rendered their verdict. The free market will eventually render its verdict on EGS - and Steam as well for that matter - too.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44474 Posts

@latech84: If you do get them then I hope you enjoy them. The story is a convoluted mess though but it has some good aspects to it. I really enjoy the Disney and Square-Enix universes and characters colliding and interacting together.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By madrocketeer
@SolidGame_basic said:

It's pretty obvious we were talking about gaming platforms. Back in the day, you put in a CD and played the game..now there are different platforms/services that compete and exclude you from playing the game unless you play on their platform. Pretty amazing how Herms are downplaying this lol. Also, they're not just storefronts. You actually play the game through them...

Yeah well, unfortunately for you, the term "platform" has already been pretty precisely defined.

Back in the day, if you wanted to keep your games updated, you had to regularly check the games' official websites, or wait for the various download hubs to eventually get round to updating their mirrors. Back in the day, if you wanted to play online, you had to manually search for servers or sign up for services like GameSpy Arcade. Back in the day, if you wanted to install expansion packs, you had to do it through a separate installation process instead of the one-click install we have now.

Don't let nostalgia blind you; the PC market has always been fragmented - it's part and parcel of being an open platform. All Steam really did was consolidate it down and made the fragmentation more manageable in a user-friendly manner.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LAtech84

@Archangel3371: Thanks for the info. Good to know.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I'm grateful that this has happened because let's be real with ourselves: Japan hates PC gaming, will always hate PC gaming and will never not hate PC gaming.

The PC gaming scene in Japan has been a pretty huge source of annoyance for me cuz it is really nothing more than a series of glorified petitions for future ports with the off-chance that you might get one or three games that you genuinely enjoy while the rest of your purchase history are games that you never touch because you only bought it just to ask for a PC version of a future iteration of a franchise you've been invested in.

If i'm perfectly honest, I'm actually hoping that Epic Games sets their eyes on other Japanese game developers cuz that's likely going to be the only thing that'll convince them to even make PC games at all when oh I dunno... the developers of one of the biggest 3D fighting game franchises or the creators of what will likely be the best singleplayer aerial combat game in the next 3 years decides to region-lock a game on Steam, selling it only to Japanese players because we all know how much Japanese people LOVE PC gaming, right?

Don't wanna mention any names or anything, but i'll be perfectly honest, Epic Games pissing their money on Japanese companies is likely going to be the only way for the PC gaming scene in Japan to see any amount of improvement at all, so don't ruin "KH3 on PC" for the weebs, you Valve fanboys. Rant over.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LAtech84

@flashn00b: I have no problem buying any games I want on Epic game store, but yeah allot of people won't buy games there I noticed on PC.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@latech84: I stopped buying on EGS when a simple thing like controller support doesn't exist on the platform. Using the DS4 for Jedi fallen order was a hassle on the EGS and I had to run EGS through steam so the game recognizes the controller as DS4, not an Xbox contriller.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8362 Posts

, cool for people who haven't played them yet.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By LAtech84

@jasonofa36: Interesting info, I have never tried a DS4 controller on PC before. I understand for sure people have reasons for not using it or liking it. It for sure has much room for improvement and I know they have had some messed up business practices people don't like such as buying timed exclusives and stuff like that and being a more bare bones crappy client/service. I much prefer Steam myself, don't get me wrong, but I still have no problem buying a game there if it is cheaper or available first for a low enough cost. I totally get it that many others don't want to use it for many very valid reasons.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8362 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:

@latech84: I stopped buying on EGS when a simple thing like controller support doesn't exist on the platform. Using the DS4 for Jedi fallen order was a hassle on the EGS and I had to run EGS through steam so the game recognizes the controller as DS4, not an Xbox contriller.

hmm weird, i havent had issues with the Xbox controller on EGS

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@sargentd said:
@jasonofa36 said:

hmm weird, i havent had issues with the Xbox controller on EGS

It's probably just on Jedi Fallen Order, but I won't give money to a company who doesn't even have native DS4 support built into its launcher yet. Hell, even a basic screenshot function doesn't exist lol.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7716 Posts

@sargentd: xbox controller works, dual shocks don't unless you boot through steam as steam has support for all dual shocks, or you have to use something like ds4windows

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#77  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34747 Posts

lol. No thanks.

If KH wasn't puke inducing enough, make it an Epic Store exclusive.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 flashn00b

@latech84 said:

@flashn00b: I have no problem buying any games I want on Epic game store, but yeah allot of people won't buy games there I noticed on PC.

The alternative would've been for Trials of Mana to be Square-Enix's last internally developed game to get a PC port. As i've mentioned before, PC gaming will never be taken seriously by Japanese game developers barring very specific examples that I can count with one hand. If i'm perfectly honest to myself, I'm actually hoping that Epic Games has their eyes set on Bandai Namco Studios, PlatinumGames and Marvelous.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1482 Posts

Kingdom Hearts 3 kind of put me off from replaying the series again, and 1 hasn't aged very well.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 flashn00b

The more I look at Valve fanboys try and ruin "Kingdom Hearts 3 is finally on PC", the more I ask myself "Do PC gamers really deserve to have Japanese games?" As i've mentioned earlier, the PC gaming scene in Japan is sorta kinda shitty and we seem more interested in burning bridges than maintaining them.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By LAtech84

@flashn00b said:
@latech84 said:

The alternative would've been for Trials of Mana to be Square-Enix's last internally developed game to get a PC port. As i've mentioned before, PC gaming will never be taken seriously by Japanese game developers barring very specific examples that I can count with one hand. If i'm perfectly honest to myself, I'm actually hoping that Epic Games has their eyes set on Bandai Namco Studios, PlatinumGames and Marvelous.

Just to make sure I understand, Are you saying that because of how Japanese game developers feel about PC gaming, that you are hoping that Epic games pays a bunch of money to get them to port their games to the PC via the Epic game store or are you saying that you think they (Epic games) should try to buy them out? Or am I not understanding at all?

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 flashn00b

@latech84 said:
@flashn00b said:
@latech84 said:

Just to make sure I understand, Are you saying that because of how Japanese game developers feel about PC gaming, that you are hoping that Epic games pays a bunch of money to get them to port their games to the PC via the Epic game store or are you saying that you think they (Epic games) should try to buy them out? Or am I not understanding at all?

I am saying that because of how Japanese game developers feel about PC gaming, I'm hoping that Epic Games pays them to port their games to PC. It's the closest thing to them ever taking the platform seriously.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 LAtech84

@flashn00b said:
@latech84 said:
@flashn00b said:
@latech84 said:

I am saying that because of how Japanese game developers feel about PC gaming, I'm hoping that Epic Games pays them to port their games to PC. It's the closest thing to them ever taking the platform seriously.

OK, That is what I thought you meant most likely. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@i_p_daily said:

Gotta love how its a store exclusive LOL.

PC and its stores what a fustercluck, but they brought it upon themselves so i'll sit back & laugh at them :)

Someone said the other day PC is one platform..

Oh no. Having to double click another Icon.

If this is all you two have, man no wonder PC wins every gen here.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Wait, people are genuinely confused about the PC being a single platform? I can't decide whether that's sad or hilarious.

Let's put it this way - you turn on your system, and you can double click on Kingdom Hearts or Half-Life or Starcraft 2 or Assassin's Creed to play it. They might log you into different stores in the process, but they're all on the same platform.

They are doing it because PC wins each gen.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#86 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Not really my cup of tea so no chance of me ever wanting to buy them especially if they're only on EGS.