Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in the US

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Here's the link.

Killzone 2 also happens to be Sony's fastest-selling title ever in the US, in terms of reaching 500,000 unit sales...:(

-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts
In other news, Halo 3, a 20 month old game outsold Killzone 2 last month
DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 DeckardLee
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

It's a damn shame :(

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
That's a shame. Tons of people are missing out on an amazing game.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

how many do they need to sell to break even

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nephilim83
In other news, Halo 3, a 20 month old game outsold Killzone 2 last month-DrRobotnik-
:lol: Anyway, 360 fanboys wouldn't be playing Halo 3 so freakin' much if MS would actually come out with something else for them to play!
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I really disliked the way it played, but I have to admit it's one fine looking game.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

doobie1975
assuming Sony spent 60mil on the game in total (dev costs, ads cost, publishing, printing, packaging, etc...) I would say they have already covered the costs. The game sells for $60 and they already have more than 1mil sales world-wide. But of course this is all an assumption and I think the $60mil price point is BS. Probably didnt cost that much.
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

I think like other PS3 titles it will continue to sell overtime, If you add in Europe + Japan + Other Regions it would be approximatley around 2 million World Wide.

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DeckardLee
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

[QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]In other news, Halo 3, a 20 month old game outsold Killzone 2 last monthNephilim83
:lol: Anyway, 360 fanboys wouldn't be playing Halo 3 so freakin' much if MS would actually come out with something else for them to play!

Are you talking about another Halo or just more exclusives? Either way, that's a illogical statement.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]In other news, Halo 3, a 20 month old game outsold Killzone 2 last monthNephilim83

Seriously. I mean who wants to keep playing one of the most solid shooters available on the consoles? It isn't like anything else has come out for them to play in 20 months....:|

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="doobie1975"]

II_Seraphim_II
assuming Sony spent 60mil on the game in total (dev costs, ads cost, publishing, printing, packaging, etc...) I would say they have already covered the costs. The game sells for $60 and they already have more than 1mil sales world-wide. But of course this is all an assumption and I think the $60mil price point is BS. Probably didnt cost that much.

and it's more than likely they will use the same engine as well as many assets (textures models etc) for future games as well.
Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

I can't wait to get my PS3, but this is a game I do see me buying. When it comes to the PS3, I am more interested in singleplayer than multiplayer (My PC is for the multiplayer). And from my understanding, Killzone 2 has a short singleplayer. A short singleplayer is why I skipped Call of Duty 4 and will be the reason I skip Killzone 2. If I ever decide to pick Killzone 2 (or Call of Duty 4) up, it will be once it is $30.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

In other news, Halo 3, a 20 month old game outsold Killzone 2 last month-DrRobotnik-

:lol::lol:

Said it before they should of shipped it with a movie would of sold tons more. Target your audience a bit better Sony, give them what they want.

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts
[QUOTE="doobie1975"]

II_Seraphim_II

but sony don't get all of that $60. theyll be lucky to see a 3rd of it
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

How much has it sold WW

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

How much has it sold WW

Animal-Mother

Theres no official numbers, but it an estimate would put it around 2 mill world wide.

TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheGreatOutdoor

I agree with this. I always end up feeling sorry for 360 gamers when they mention Halo 3 this and Halo 3 that. I am like damn, you guys are still talking about Halo 3. Hasn't Microsoft released anything good after Halo 3. :shock:

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nephilim83
[QUOTE="STRETCH-E"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

:lol: Anyway, 360 fanboys wouldn't be playing Halo 3 so freakin' much if MS would actually come out with something else for them to play!Nephilim83
Seriously. I mean who wants to keep playing one of the most solid shooters available on the consoles? It isn't like anything else has come out for them to play in 20 months....:|

Lemming can't take a joke.

Seriously. See the little laughing emoticon there, people? Anyhow, KZ2 will continue to sell over time. It'll do fine in the long run.
sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

that is sad, the game is awesome and deserves better sale

TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheGreatOutdoor

[QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]In other news, Halo 3, a 20 month old game outsold Killzone 2 last monthCreepyBacon

:lol::lol:

Said it before they should of shipped it with a movie would of sold tons more. Target your audience a bit better Sony, give them what they want.

You didn't think your post out before typing it did you? Or was it your goal to look silly? They released a game, so they did target their audience. I mean HOW DARE Sony release a game for their gaming system. :roll:

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nephilim83

[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]In other news, Halo 3, a 20 month old game outsold Killzone 2 last monthDeckardLee

Are you talking about another Halo or just more exclusives? Either way, that's a illogical statement.

Actually I was just kidding, but they could come out with some more exclusives. I haven't had a reason to turn my 350 since Gears 2. :(
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="doobie1975"]

doobie1975

but sony don't get all of that $60. theyll be lucky to see a 3rd of it

What are you talking about? They'll be lucky to get a 3rd of it? Sony gets the majority of that $$. They made the game, published it, advertised it, did practically everything except distribute it at retailers. Are you saying retailers get 2/3 of all game profits and then everyone else only gets 1/3? That doesn't make sense. Why would anyone spend millions to make games if some random company who just holds the game on their premise gets most of the money? Thats like a Movie company making a movie and then the theatre getting 66% of all profits made from the movie...not happening.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

If Sony really wanted to push consoles and copies with the release, they should've bundled it with a PS3.

gaboi09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gaboi09
Member since 2009 • 327 Posts

[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]In other news, Halo 3, a 20 month old game outsold Killzone 2 last monthTheGreatOutdoor

I agree with this. I always end up feeling sorry for 360 gamers when they mention Halo 3 this and Halo 3 that. I am like damn, you guys are still talking about Halo 3. Hasn't Microsoft released anything good after Halo 3. :shock:

This is one of the reasons why I was afraid to get a 360 to begin with. MS has a bad habbit of hyping up and releasing only 1 really good game every year and then leaving it at that. God forbid that you don't like that 1 supposed good game that they are hyping up to relase then you are left with nothing really good to play all year long.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
That's too bad. One of the better FPS experiences I've had.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nephilim83
[QUOTE="gaboi09"][QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]

:lol: Anyway, 360 fanboys wouldn't be playing Halo 3 so freakin' much if MS would actually come out with something else for them to play!Nephilim83

This is one of the reasons why I was afraid to get a 360 to begin with. MS has a bad habbit of hyping up and releasing only 1 really good game every year and then leaving it at that. God forbid that you don't like that 1 supposed good game that they are hyping up to relase then you are left with nothing really good to play all year long.

Like I said, I haven't found a reason to turn on my 360 since Gears 2.............:(
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

[QUOTE="doobie1975"]

II_Seraphim_II

The number I saw floating "around" for dealer cost is 40$........ That's also assuming it had a 60M budget and 1.5M units sold....... it's right there at breaking even..

DonMarkito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DonMarkito
Member since 2008 • 455 Posts

There's not many lemmings on SW? Why? Simply because they are having fun with their 360 instinct of dissing other consoles unlike cows, who are here claiming that the 360 ain't fun anymore with its ton of exclusives and best online(between ps3 and 360) :P

If the PS3 was that fun, people wouldnt bother going there and talking **** about the other fun consoles

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

How much has it sold WW

EVOLV3

Theres no official numbers, but it an estimate would put it around 2 mill world wide.

2 million in 3 months isnt THAT bad is it?

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nephilim83
There's not many lemmings on SW? Why? Simply because they are having fun with their 360 instinct of dissing other consoles unlike cows, who are here claiming that the 360 ain't fun anymore with its ton of exclusives and best online(between ps3 and 360) :PDonMarkito
Well, obviously you got tired of your 360 at least for the moment. And what's whith the "cows" thing. What does that mean? I really don't know :l
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="gaboi09"][QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]I agree with this. I always end up feeling sorry for 360 gamers when they mention Halo 3 this and Halo 3 that. I am like damn, you guys are still talking about Halo 3. Hasn't Microsoft released anything good after Halo 3. :shock:

Nephilim83

Like I said, I haven't found a reason to turn on my 360 since Gears 2.............:(

star ocean was good. kz2 though, i think its going to have a very niche fan base, it was ok but nothing like halo 3 was, or half life, i had to force myself to finish the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#35 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
Yeah, well, the demo was awful. You really think I'll spend 60 bucks on that? Heh... Guess again.
zeorshadow19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 zeorshadow19
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

That's a shame. I'm still saving up for a PS3 and Killzone 2 though. That game is fantastic.

tontontam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tontontam0
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts

[QUOTE="DonMarkito"]There's not many lemmings on SW? Why? Simply because they are having fun with their 360 instinct of dissing other consoles unlike cows, who are here claiming that the 360 ain't fun anymore with its ton of exclusives and best online(between ps3 and 360) :PNephilim83
Well, obviously you got tired of your 360 at least for the moment. And what's whith the "cows" thing. What does that mean? I really don't know :l

Xbox 360 gamers are just busy playing their game over and over again halo 3 on live because they (including me) would'nt want to waste their live fee by not playing.

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts
i'm kindof glad because i didn't like the game too much, though i'm basing this purely on the demo shows that people don't just buy because of fancy graphics
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nephilim83
Yeah, well, the demo was awful. You really think I'll spend 60 bucks on that? Heh... Guess again.DeathScape666
What did you not like? The controls have been patched and greatly improved since the demo if that's what you're having trouble with. If you just didn't like amazing graphics and full on action.... Well, I can't help you there. ;)
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

How much has it sold WW

Animal-Mother

World wide sales are the only numbers that count.....not U.S. sales

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nephilim83

[QUOTE="Nephilim83"]

tontontam0

Xbox 360 gamers are just busy playing their game over and over again halo 3 on live because they (including me) would'nt want to waste their live fee by not playing.

:lol:

i'm kindof glad because i didn't like the game too much, though i'm basing this purely on the demo shows that people don't just buy because of fancy graphicsakif22
And they shouldn't. I love KZ2, but I'll be the first to say that if they ever start trying to sell games based on graphics alone and half-*** the gameplay/story then the gaming industry is going down. On a side note: The demo conrols are super sloppy. Left a bad taste in my mouth. The actual 60 dollar game post patch... Taste goooood......

Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts
i'm kindof glad because i didn't like the game too much, though i'm basing this purely on the demo shows that people don't just buy because of fancy graphicsakif22
thats funny cuz Killzone 2 has much more than fancy graphics. oh well, its their loss for missing out on a great game.
Slambo86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Slambo86
Member since 2009 • 912 Posts

[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]In other news, Halo 3, a 20 month old game outsold Killzone 2 last monthTheGreatOutdoor

what even worse is that...Halo 3 hasn't changed much at all since Halo 2. The core gameplay is still the same with no new proper addition to gameplay. 3rd game in the series and all they could do to gameplay is add a feature to drop items (gravity lift, shield drainer)? COME ON! its Halo 2 in HD.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

That's too bad. People should at least give it a chance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#45 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]Yeah, well, the demo was awful. You really think I'll spend 60 bucks on that? Heh... Guess again.Nephilim83
What did you not like? The controls have been patched and greatly improved since the demo if that's what you're having trouble with. If you just didn't like amazing graphics and full on action.... Well, I can't help you there. ;)

The game did a good job of making you feel like you are in actual war with action going on everywhere, but I just didn't enjoy the gunplay. It didn't feel as satisfying killing someone as it should've, and the look of the environments were somewhat poor. It was mostly gray and uninspiring. The characters were extremely annoying, and just tried to act BA. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about it---I have trouble doing that with every FPS game---but the gunplay just wasn't that fun. For every other genre, I can bash any game to hell and back, but I never know what to say about FPS games. Most of them really do suck, though. But then there's always that good one that reels me in... sort of. The only FPSs I have ever liked are the Valve ones, really, and Left 4 Dead is a very satisfying experience. And I only got it for 25 dollars.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

If Sony really wanted to push consoles and copies with the release, they should've bundled it with a PS3.Lionheart08

Say what?

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"]

[QUOTE="tontontam0"][QUOTE="Nephilim83"]

:lol:

And they shouldn't. I love KZ2, but I'll be the first to say that if they ever start trying to sell games based on graphics alone and half-*** the gameplay/story then the gaming industry is going down. On a side note: The demo conrols are super sloppy. Left a bad taste in my mouth. The actual 60 dollar game post patch... Taste goooood......

they are the same controls... its sluggish in both versions.
Slambo86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Slambo86
Member since 2009 • 912 Posts
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]Yeah, well, the demo was awful. You really think I'll spend 60 bucks on that? Heh... Guess again.DeathScape666

The game did a good job of making you feel like you are in actual war with action going on everywhere, but I just didn't enjoy the gunplay. It didn't feel as satisfying killing someone as it should've, and the look of the environments were somewhat poor. It was mostly gray and uninspiring. The characters were extremely annoying, and just tried to act BA. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about it---I have trouble doing that with every FPS game---but the gunplay just wasn't that fun. For every other genre, I can bash any game to hell and back, but I never know what to say about FPS games. Most of them really do suck, though. But then there's always that good one that reels me in... sort of. The only FPSs I have ever liked are the Valve ones, really, and Left 4 Dead is a very satisfying experience. And I only got it for 25 dollars.

You just hate realism...you prefer unrealistic FLOATY face paced FPS. Doesn't feel satisfying? COME ON..the recoil and death animations are the best..it feels rewarding shooting a full clip in a poor guys chest, just to see the reaction.
gaboi09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gaboi09
Member since 2009 • 327 Posts

[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="gaboi09"] This is one of the reasons why I was afraid to get a 360 to begin with. MS has a bad habbit of hyping up and releasing only 1 really good game every year and then leaving it at that. God forbid that you don't like that 1 supposed good game that they are hyping up to relase then you are left with nothing really good to play all year long. savagetwinkie

star ocean was good. kz2 though, i think its going to have a very niche fan base, it was ok but nothing like halo 3 was, or half life, i had to force myself to finish the game.

I didn't really like Killzone 2 either, but I like the fact that sony seems intent on trying to produce and push and diffent types of games and geners in a year just as hard as the other. So even if you don't like the gener of a game that's being promoted in a certain year you'll have other games to look foward to of equal quality--not just place holder games in a gener but crap quality. Example: KZ2 quality game but some don't like, but still have equally hyped and promoted and polished game In InFamous that's being relased in the same year with plenty of time left in the year to relaese more game.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="Slambo86"][QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]

what even worse is that...Halo 3 hasn't changed much at all since Halo 2. The core gameplay is still the same with no new proper addition to gameplay. 3rd game in the series and all they could do to gameplay is add a feature to drop items (gravity lift, shield drainer)? COME ON! its Halo 2 in HD.

ughh theirs about the same difference between halflife 1 & 2, thats what fps's do, they have always done this, and you forget things like forge... 4 player online co-op... those werent in halo 2