John Carmack: PS3 vs Xbox 360

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WillieBeamish
Member since 2008 • 1289 Posts

In Carmack's latest vid: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169112 he makes a few very honest statements:

• He believes Microsoft is being a bit unfair about charging extra licensing fees for multi-disc games.
  • Sony REQURES publishers to have SAME-DAY multiplat releases or some kind of "enhancement" of the game for the PS3 version if it comes later or they threaten to pull advertizing/promotion funding.
  • Xbox 360's CPU and GPU are both superior to the PS3's from a development standpoint.
  • Developers have to work twice as hard to make a PS3 game look as good as an Xbox 360 game.
  • The PS3's XMB takes up a lot more of the system's resources compared to the 360's dashboard.
  • The only advantage the PS3 has going for it is Blu-Ray's storage capacity.
  • He plays the Wii & DS with his 3 year-old.

You have to applaud Carmack for being as candid as he is. He tells things as they are and its quite obvious he is as far from a fanboy as can be. Anyone think its funny at how poor of a game console the PS3 really is?

P.S. I just got my Xbox 360 back from repair last week (have been on vacation), and I don't know what they did but my DVD-ROM drive is now as quiet as my Wii, which means its half as loud as my PS3. Awesome!

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
Looks like Sony's gonna be ticked about Last Remnant.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Looks like Sony's gonna be ticked about Last Remnant.SSCyborg

It just means we will get extra content. I don't see anything wrong with what Sony is doing in this case. If 360 is more powerful why does PS3 have the best looking games in games like Uncharted and Killzone 2?

bungie93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bungie93
Member since 2008 • 2445 Posts

Can we just settle the arguement then?

The Xbox 360's hardware is more powerful for gaming than the PS3's hardware.

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts

bungie93

Yes. 360 has better hardware for game development, PS3 has better hardware for other things.

And if there is no extras in the PS3 or PC version of Last Remnant then that just means Square Enix will be doing their own promoting and advertising like I'm sure they already do.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#6 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I'm starting to like this Carmack is, he's a brilliant developer and he seems to know his stuff. Good stuff for lemmings.
KinkInDaLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KinkInDaLink
Member since 2008 • 307 Posts
TC, we have had this thread like 5 times already, why again, why again???????????????
sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts
Hm..this guy knows his stuff. I wish he could've had a statement as to what he thinks about paying for live so Microsoft could take a quick look at it.
Iceman2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Iceman2911
Member since 2006 • 2669 Posts
alright this is old a little of what he said I disagree with.
N0-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N0-
Member since 2008 • 308 Posts

alright this is old a little of what he said I disagree with.Iceman2911

yea but he is a developer and your not. no offence

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

In Carmack's latest vid: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169112 he makes a few very honest statements:

• He believes Microsoft is being a bit unfair about charging extra licensing fees for multi-disc games.
  • Sony REQURES publishers to have SAME-DAY multiplat releases or some kind of "enhancement" of the game for the PS3 version if it comes later or they threaten to pull advertizing/promotion funding.
  • Xbox 360's CPU and GPU are both superior to the PS3's from a development standpoint.
  • Developers have to work twice as hard to make a PS3 game look as good as an Xbox 360 game.
  • The PS3's XMB takes up a lot more of the system's resources compared to the 360's dashboard.

You have to applaud Carmack for being as candid as he is. He tells things as they are and its quite obvious he is as far from a fanboy as can be. Anyone think its funny at how poor of a game console the PS3 really is?

P.S. I just got my Xbox 360 back from repair last week (have been on vacation), and I don't know what they did but my DVD-ROM drive is now as quiet as my Wii, which means its half as loud as my PS3. Awesome!

WillieBeamish

I found those two statements pretty funny.

fiercedeity901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fiercedeity901
Member since 2005 • 6291 Posts

[QUOTE="SSCyborg"]Looks like Sony's gonna be ticked about Last Remnant.-Renegade

It just means we will get extra content. I don't see anything wrong with what Sony is doing in this case. If 360 is more powerful why does PS3 have the best looking games in games like Uncharted and Killzone 2?

because gears 2 beats both of them
Iceman2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Iceman2911

[QUOTE="Iceman2911"]alright this is old a little of what he said I disagree with.N0-

are you targeting me because I disagree there are developers who disagree too.

pakman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pakman3000
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
[QUOTE="bungie93"]

EmilioDigsIt

Yes. 360 has better hardware for game development, PS3 has better hardware for other things.

And if there is no extras in the PS3 or PC version of Last Remnant then that just means Square Enix will be doing their own promoting and advertising like I'm sure they already do.

The sad thing is, when can we see other things from the PS3 that'll utilize it?

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts

WillieBeamish

The PS3 isn't loud at all.

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mazdero

[QUOTE="Iceman2911"]alright this is old a little of what he said I disagree with.N0-

You know whats funny? Devolpers have said that the PS3 is the most powerful and fanboys are quick to disagree with them. Why is this instance different? Did it ever occur to anyone that John Carmack and Gabe Newell are PC devs? The 360 is closest to PC architechture from the two systems. Of course its going to be better for THEM. What he said is his opinion, much like that of theopinion of a game reviewer. SomeDevs agree with him, some disagree. fanboys like to take things as gospel when it supports their point of view.

Both are equally as powerful, just different to program for.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
He also said the PS3 could be better if developers had the time to fully utilize the cell. But that takes time and money :(. Remeber this is all from a development standpoint. Sony did a bad job as far as thinking of devss with the PS3 OS and RSX.. But they did a great job of implementing Blu-Ray and the Cell (Rage will look better on PS3 due to this). 360 is much easier to develop for. That doesn't mean games will always look better on 360.. Carmack is a genious BTW.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I like listening to Carmack talk. He really goes into depth and gives you loads of info. I find it all interesting.

But... I don't like any of the past games ID has put out... I don't care if they were made by some other company... When you put your logo on and the game is crap... You better get ready for some negativity.

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
[QUOTE="EmilioDigsIt"][QUOTE="bungie93"]

pakman3000

The sad thing is, when can we see other things from the PS3 that'll utilize it?

Folding at Home! Crunching numbers! Yum yum!
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
360's CPU is more powerful? we all know that is joke. now while a respect what carmack has done for the industry and acknowledge the fact that he was a coding genius i can't take the man seriously anymore. just because something is hard doesn't mean it's weaker the man always **** at the fact that ps3 is hard to develop for. SHUT UP!! we know we've heard this from everyone else seriouly so many companies have said that and do you know what most of them did? they got to work instead of complaining. looks like all sony's first party developers got the hang of it. i mean look at insomniac after the initial struggle(RFOM) they got very good and developing for teh ps3 i mean R&C and AAA game by many standards took only a year and a half to make and R2 just keeps getting better. imo he's just too use to PC architecture like valve who also complain more than try. i'm so tired of all these people compiling ps3 is too hard to develop for.
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SSCyborg

[QUOTE="SSCyborg"]Looks like Sony's gonna be ticked about Last Remnant.-Renegade

You don't know that. Square does its own marketing anyways. And :lol: at you using GreyZone 2.

WillieBeamish

And seriously, what kind of an advantage is that?

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SSCyborg

360's CPU is more powerful? we all know that is joke. now while a respect what carmack has done for the industry and acknowledge the fact that he was a coding genius i can't take the man seriously anymore. just because something is hard doesn't mean it's weaker the man always **** at the fact that ps3 is hard to develop for. SHUT UP!! we know we've heard this from everyone else seriouly so many companies have said that and do you know what most of them did? they got to work instead of complaining. looks like all sony's first party developers got the hang of it. i mean look at insomniac after the initial struggle(RFOM) they got very good and developing for teh ps3 i mean R&C and AAA game by many standards took only a year and a half to make and R2 just keeps getting better. imo he's just too use to PC architecture like valve who also complain more than try. i'm so tired of all these people compiling ps3 is too hard to develop for.Ragashahs

tl;dr I'm in Damage control

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Guys, Carmack is a Computer Dev. It was around 2005 that he stated the same drivel. It's his opinion, and it's valid, But there are other devs that say the opposite.

THE CPU statement proves it's HIS Opinion, and not based on facts.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
I'm so sick of seeing the same threads over and over again...SW just seems to be going into a loop lately...
N0-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 N0-
[QUOTE="N0-"]

[QUOTE="Iceman2911"]alright this is old a little of what he said I disagree with.mazdero

You know whats funny? Devolpers have said that the PS3 is the most powerful and fanboys are quick to disagree with them. Why is this instance different? Did it ever occur to anyone that John Carmack and Gabe Newell are PC devs? The 360 is closest to PC architechture from the two systems. Of course its going to be better for THEM. What he said is his opinion, much like that of theopinion of a game reviewer. SomeDevs agree with him, some disagree. fanboys like to take things as gospel when it supports their point of view.

your calling me a fanboy and you dont even know if i have a 360.the reason i said that is because i hate it when people act like they know more than game developers

jliebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 jliebel
Member since 2005 • 1217 Posts
I used to respect Carmack, but more more he is turning out to be an ignorant whiner, yes he did great things in the past, but all he is doing now is whining because he can't get used to developement on one system, or not getting things his way and has to pay more for more disc etc.
N0-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N0-
[QUOTE="N0-"]

[QUOTE="Iceman2911"]alright this is old a little of what he said I disagree with.Iceman2911

are you targeting me because I disagree there are developers who disagree too.

im not targeting you i just said that because he should know he is a game developer.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ragashahs

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]360's CPU is more powerful? we all know that is joke. now while a respect what carmack has done for the industry and acknowledge the fact that he was a coding genius i can't take the man seriously anymore. just because something is hard doesn't mean it's weaker the man always **** at the fact that ps3 is hard to develop for. SHUT UP!! we know we've heard this from everyone else seriouly so many companies have said that and do you know what most of them did? they got to work instead of complaining. looks like all sony's first party developers got the hang of it. i mean look at insomniac after the initial struggle(RFOM) they got very good and developing for teh ps3 i mean R&C and AAA game by many standards took only a year and a half to make and R2 just keeps getting better. imo he's just too use to PC architecture like valve who also complain more than try. i'm so tired of all these people compiling ps3 is too hard to develop for.SSCyborg

yes just becuase i disagree with an guy that complains and passes judgmenst on how "weak" the PS3 more so than actually trying to figure out how to utilize teh ps3's tech means i'm damaging controlling? seriously other developer have gotten use to the PS3 they realize that it takes awhile to get use to PS3's tech but they also know that figuring out the PS3 know will make developing for the PS3 in the futuere ALOT easier
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TREAL_Since
360's CPU is more powerful? we all know that is joke. now while a respect what carmack has done for the industry and acknowledge the fact that he was a coding genius i can't take the man seriously anymore. just because something is hard doesn't mean it's weaker the man always **** at the fact that ps3 is hard to develop for. SHUT UP!! we know we've heard this from everyone else seriouly so many companies have said that and do you know what most of them did? they got to work instead of complaining. looks like all sony's first party developers got the hang of it. i mean look at insomniac after the initial struggle(RFOM) they got very good and developing for teh ps3 i mean R&C and AAA game by many standards took only a year and a half to make and R2 just keeps getting better. imo he's just too use to PC architecture like valve who also complain more than try. i'm so tired of all these people compiling ps3 is too hard to develop for.Ragashahs
I partly agree. The PS3 is difficult to develop for compared to what companies are used to. The 360 is much easier and takes less time and money to get everything out of it. What fanboys are ignoring is that he also said that the PS3 could be better if devs had the resources (time and money) to fully utilize the Cell (not a direct quote). That's why he mentioned 360 being tecnically superior for a development standpoint. Take KZ2 for example: a game where the devs get to soley concentrate on a single patform and have the time and money to get everything out of the PS3. The same goes for Gears 2 (which I am sure takes less time and money to make than KZ2). But these games both look absolutely amazing. Valve are a bunch of crybabies BTW. I love them though.
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SSCyborg
[QUOTE="SSCyborg"]

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]360's CPU is more powerful? we all know that is joke. now while a respect what carmack has done for the industry and acknowledge the fact that he was a coding genius i can't take the man seriously anymore. just because something is hard doesn't mean it's weaker the man always **** at the fact that ps3 is hard to develop for. SHUT UP!! we know we've heard this from everyone else seriouly so many companies have said that and do you know what most of them did? they got to work instead of complaining. looks like all sony's first party developers got the hang of it. i mean look at insomniac after the initial struggle(RFOM) they got very good and developing for teh ps3 i mean R&C and AAA game by many standards took only a year and a half to make and R2 just keeps getting better. imo he's just too use to PC architecture like valve who also complain more than try. i'm so tired of all these people compiling ps3 is too hard to develop for.Ragashahs

yes just becuase i disagree with an guy that complains and passes judgmenst on how "weak" the PS3 means i'm damaging controlling?

That's the general idea.

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mazdero
[QUOTE="mazdero"][QUOTE="N0-"]

You know whats funny? Devolpers have said that the PS3 is the most powerful and fanboys are quick to disagree with them. Why is this instance different? Did it ever occur to anyone that John Carmack and Gabe Newell are PC devs? The 360 is closest to PC architechture from the two systems. Of course its going to be better for THEM. What he said is his opinion, much like that of the opinion of a game reviewer. Some Devs agree with him, some disagree. fanboys like to take things as gospel when it supports their point of view.

your calling me a fanboy and you dont even know if i have a 360.the reason i said that is because i hate it when people act like they know more than game developers

I did not call you a fanboy, I was speaking about fanboys in general. if you consider yourself a fanboy or not, thats not my problem.What you said is used by fanboys when ever it suits them(again, not saying you are one). But you are correct, he is not a dev and carmack is, but he is entitled to disagree when other devs also have. Its called taking the opinion of the one you agree with.

I also hate it when people think they know more than game devs. Game devs have said PS3 is more powerful, will you agree with them as well? In the end, no one should care which one is more powerful as long as the games look great and are awesome to play.

no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
That's it Treal! I've had it with your use of logic in SW, meet me at the flagpole at 3 o'clock sharp!
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ragashahs
[QUOTE="Ragashahs"][QUOTE="SSCyborg"]

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]360's CPU is more powerful? we all know that is joke. now while a respect what carmack has done for the industry and acknowledge the fact that he was a coding genius i can't take the man seriously anymore. just because something is hard doesn't mean it's weaker the man always **** at the fact that ps3 is hard to develop for. SHUT UP!! we know we've heard this from everyone else seriouly so many companies have said that and do you know what most of them did? they got to work instead of complaining. looks like all sony's first party developers got the hang of it. i mean look at insomniac after the initial struggle(RFOM) they got very good and developing for teh ps3 i mean R&C and AAA game by many standards took only a year and a half to make and R2 just keeps getting better. imo he's just too use to PC architecture like valve who also complain more than try. i'm so tired of all these people compiling ps3 is too hard to develop for.SSCyborg

yes just becuase i disagree with an guy that complains and passes judgmenst on how "weak" the PS3 means i'm damaging controlling?

That's the general idea.

nice could you be more of fanboy? seriously why should i take carmack seriously anymore? what has he done recently that gives him credibility?
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TREAL_Since
[QUOTE="no_handlebars"]That's it Treal! I've had it with your use of logic in SW, meet me at the flagpole at 3 o'clock sharp!

LOL Oh it's on now! *puts up dukes* People listening to what they want and discounting the rest.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Truth_Hurts_U

I don't know why PS3 fanboys are busting on Carmack. He tells it like it is. He isn't a fanboy and he isn't paided off.

The legend speaks... You should listen.

I accept his criticism of the 360. Not letting them put HDD required. I think it is dumb that MS charges for extra DVD's.

jliebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jliebel

I don't know why PS3 fanboys are busting on Carmack. He tells it like it is. He isn't a fanboy and he isn't paided off.

The legend speaks... You should listen.

I accept his criticism of the 360. Not letting them put HDD required. I think it is dumb that MS charges for extra DVD's.

Truth_Hurts_U

thing is what he is saying has been proven false by actual games that is why people crack on Carmack. He is either ignorant or lazy to learn new things.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Truth_Hurts_U

thing is what he is saying has been proven false by actual games that is why people crack on Carmack. He is either ignorant or lazy to learn new things. jliebel

Where are these games that prove this?

jliebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jliebel

[QUOTE="jliebel"]

thing is what he is saying has been proven false by actual games that is why people crack on Carmack. He is either ignorant or lazy to learn new things. Truth_Hurts_U

Where are these games that prove this?

MGS4, and Uncharted to name a few ;)

no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"][QUOTE="no_handlebars"]That's it Treal! I've had it with your use of logic in SW, meet me at the flagpole at 3 o'clock sharp!

LOL Oh it's on now! *puts up dukes* People listening to what they want and discounting the rest.

*puts up dukes* You know selective reading is an old SW past time. But you and your fancy logical ways have disrupted the flow. For that you shall pay.....WITH BLOOD!
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Truth_Hurts_U

jliebel

Proof of what? Spending how many more millions? Just for a slight graphics bump. I'm sure if people were to spend the ridiculous amounts of money they could achieve the same on the 360.

BTW MGS4... The models looks great but the environments make me wanna puke.

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

You're all aware that Carmack is primarily a PC developer...?

So of course he'll think the 360 is better, it's so much more similar to a standard computer than the PS3 is. The Cell Processor is incredibly powerful (only lemmings disagree with this) but there are only a handful of people that know how it works and that is it's downfall. Once the cell is more universal it'll be easier to develop for, but we don't know how long that will take (if it ever happens)...

jliebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jliebel
[QUOTE="jliebel"]

Truth_Hurts_U

Proof of what? Spending how many more millions? Just for a slight graphics bump. I'm sure if people were to spend the ridiculous amounts of money they could achieve the same on the 360.

BTW MGS4... The models looks great but the environments make me wanna puke.

bottom statement just shows you never played the game.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Truth_Hurts_U

jliebel

Your right I never did... But I did see it being played by someone else. So it doesn't matter if I played it or not. I seen the game in person.

Iceman2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Iceman2911
[QUOTE="jliebel"]

Truth_Hurts_U

Your right I never did... But I did see it being played by someone else. So it doesn't matter if I played it or not. I seen the game in person.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TREAL_Since
[QUOTE="jliebel"]

Truth_Hurts_U

I won't cll yo a fanboy, but you clearly did not play it or watch it enough to realize why it has outstanding level design and art design. There are so many distinct and varied textures and the environments are very big.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Truth_Hurts_U

Iceman2911

This is much better then that face palm garbage.

Don't know why people gave up on Mr. Owl.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#50 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
While I give Carmack a lot of respect on the PC, I give him very little on consoles. His development on consoles has been very minimal. He just doesn't have the depth of experience of other developers in the console environment.