Jim Sterling: Mario just ain't what he used to be...

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6147-Old-Man-Mario

Went into this video with a bit of skeptisism thinking it was going to be a poor rant like most of his videos, but for the most part i think he has a point.

Nintendo isn't giving Mario the treatment he deserves lately. Once upon a time Mario could be called upon to inovate within each title. Now we're getting two almost oxymoron titles with New Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros U...Its depressing on some level, and not because (as he points out) theirs something fundimentaly wrong with the games, its that he keeps going to the same old ground, and is being overtaken by games that do many things better. Super Meat Boy and Rayman Origins spring to mind.

What say you, System Wars. Is Mario set for a fall from grace, or is Sterling full of **** like usual and Mario has never been fresher?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
I agree that 2D Mario has been reduced to being a soulless cash in. The 3D Mario remain as good as they ever were, maybe better. They are mechanically sound, they innovate, and they remain the top of their cIass. Look at the Mario Galaxy games. Is someone really going to argue that they are rehashes?
Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
Mario is at a sort of low point at the moment but that is only really due to the mistake that Nintendo have made with the NSMB2 and NSMBU. The games are almost identical and I think Nintendo were just desperate to get a Mario game on the WiiU for its launch and kind of hoped that no one would notice, its not like this is happening all the time so Mario will bounce back I just think that Nintendo need to just put him on the bench for a little while and come up some new ideas.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
mario just ain't what he used to be, he's right on that regard. it's better. TBH the only 2D mario that i really love is super mario world, aside from it i prefer any of the 3D games over the 2D ones.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Mario is has been turning into Nintendo's Call of Duty for years. For every Super Mario Galaxy, there's 5-10 games like Mario Party or NSMB that are either blatant rehashes or are passable but just plain lack creativity (like most of the Mario sports games).
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Nintendo announcing two NSMB games around the same time (NSMB2 and NSMBU) is the first time I actually felt that Nintendo was milking Mario. That being said 3D Mario is still terrific with titles like the Galaxy games and Super Mario 3D Land, and I'm not going to really get up in arms over Nintendo making 2 NSMB games. The games sell like hotcakes and I'm not going to hate a company for wanting to make money.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

Mario's problem isn't that he ain't what he used to be, it's that he's exactly what he used to be. For me though, that's ok. I enjoy a good Mario romp every once in awhile, not enough to mandate playing every game of his, but enough to keep me coming back from time to time.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9893 Posts
I think he's a bit unfair. Seems like the last game was a slight misstep, but galaxy 2 was released just a couple of years ago and was universally praised. I think he does it because Mario is untouchable for many fans and he saw an opening to bash it.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Mario is simply a seller now, only released for money and Nintendo don't want to risk much so they just make more Marios. Get new material Nintendo.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Mario certainly isn't what he used to be, but he's still doing very well. The fact is that nonsports Mario games are, at worst, a bit bland and too nostalgia driven. But they are always quality titles (you really can't say this with a lot of long time series). ... and with the Galaxy games and 3D Land, there is still some pretty top notch content coming from the plumber. '

What needs to happen in the future:

The Mario Bros series needs to redeem itself, and become top tier gaming again.

The 3D series needs to keep proving that Mario games can still be art.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

If he were just talking about the NSMB games he would have a point, but the Galaxy games and 3D Land all felt very fresh.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

2D Mario: Yes.

3D Mario: No and in fact better then ever.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

3D mario continues to be some of the most unique and innovative games today.

2D mario are just casual cash-ins.

Crysis3Soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Crysis3Soldier
Member since 2011 • 118 Posts
Mario is has been turning into Nintendo's Call of Duty for years. For every Super Mario Galaxy, there's 5-10 games like Mario Party or NSMB that are either blatant rehashes or are passable but just plain lack creativity (like most of the Mario sports games).Timstuff
Nintendorks will ignore this because the truth hurts. They will talk about sales.
93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

NSMB2 is the only one I'd call a quick cash-in.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
Mario is has been turning into Nintendo's Call of Duty for years. For every Super Mario Galaxy, there's 5-10 games like Mario Party or NSMB that are either blatant rehashes or are passable but just plain lack creativity (like most of the Mario sports games).Timstuff
No one cares about the spinofs.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

2D Mario: Yes.

3D Mario: No and in fact better then ever.

Seabas989

This.

This sh*t is all because of NSMB2, lol, we all knew how it would be.

Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts
My biggest problem with Mario currently is that lack of difficulty. It's still fun to jump through the levels and collect stuff, but it gets old fast. The games don't have teeth anymore.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Wait, what? Galaxy is the most well designed game this gen...
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
2D Mario games outside of Mario 2 on the NES and Super Mario World 2 on the SNES are designed specifically to be retro style games. They aren't supposed to throw out everything that makes Mario Mario and flip the series on it's head. That's isn't their purpose at all. Expecting them to do that is stupid imo. The 3D games are where they shake things up and innovate and all of them have done such. His argument is bunk to me. "The Mario game designed for the purpose of feeling like an old Mario game feels like an old Mario game. Mario doesn't innovative. I will also pretend that 3D Mario games, one of which came out earlier this year, don't exist in order to prove my point."
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

it seems Jim is in a killing spree now because he gave The Last Story a 4. Hate everywhere!

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
However, the 3D games are awesome.
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

In all honesty (and yes, I think Mario is getting a bit stale lately in the 2D offerings), can anyone here think of any new innovations the Mario series could do on the 2D plane? Everything I've ever come up with over the years has been done in recent games.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#24 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

usually I would make a rubuttal to this, but anything about Mario not innovating like he used to I'm going to agree with.

The Last Well Done Mario Game was Super Mario Galaxy 2.

3D Land was the worst Mario Game I've Played, NSMB2 looks like they're reusing a LOT of stages from the SNES game, NSMBWU will probably be the same only with Yoshi's Island Stages.

Things aren't really looking up for the Plumber at the moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts

usually I would make a rubuttal to this, but anything about Mario not innovating like he used to I'm going to agree with.

3D Land was the worst Mario Game I've Played, NSMB2 looks like they're reusing a LOT of stages from the SNES game, NSMBWU will probably be the same only with Yoshi's Island Stages.

LegatoSkyheart
You really didn't like 3D Land? Wow I have fairly enjoyed it.
awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 awakeningland
Member since 2012 • 104 Posts

For a character as old as he is to be going as strong as he is is a testament to his greatness. Sure, some of the 2D stuff isn't as innovative as it used to be but he still rules gaming. The galaxy games were the best this gen had to offer.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

2d mario games are still the best platformer out there. sales will prove it as usuall all platformer fan tends to buy and enjoy mario most. new super mario wii sold in the 20 million range. rayman origin no matter what reviews say about it is no where near the quality and fun factor of mario platformer. heck it dint even sell well platformer fan ignored that title.

awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 awakeningland
Member since 2012 • 104 Posts

2d mario games are still the best platformer out there. sales will prove it as usuall all platformer fan tends to buy and enjoy mario most. new super mario wii sold in the 20 million range. rayman origin no matter what reviews say about it is no where near the quality and fun factor of mario platformer. heck it dint even sell well platformer fan ignored that title.

pc-ps360

The physics are always the best and the gameplay is always so tight. No other platformer can come close.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

LegatoSkyheart

even if you didn't care for 3d land, to say that they didn't try anything new with it is false.

No other title in the series blended the 2d and 3d styles of gameplay more seamlessly than it

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I've retired 2D mario games. Galaxy was pretty awesome.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#31 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

That is harsh and very unfair. Mario games have set high standards over the years. I felt Super Mario Land 3DS and Mario Kart 7 were well excuted games. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are the best this gen but I would say that New Super Mario Bros WiiU feels like a cash in to sell the WiiU seeing as the 2D series sells so well. Mario has always maintained a decent standard for me and I expect Paper Mario to be good.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

mario is still good, if not hes better then ever. if hes not your taste anymore thats fine, but numbers dont lie

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Mario is perfectly fine when Nintendo actually tries. Games like NSMB2 are just cash grabs. Once your character becomes a household name you'd be stupid not to stick his face on anything possible and rake in the dough.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Super Mario 3D Land was top notch and Paper Mario Sticker Star is looking good, so no he still rocking in some places at least. Nintendo needs to move on from NSMB through.

EzcapeTheFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EzcapeTheFate
Member since 2010 • 1063 Posts

Mario is a goddamn junkie.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I bet this guy was just waiting for a Mario game to be poorly received. "Ain't what he used to be" refers to only 2 years ago, I guess?

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

I don't get excited about Mario games anymore. They need to make a true Mario game that will make the Wii U a top seller.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wanderer5

I don't get excited about Mario games anymore. They need to make a true Mario game that will make the Wii U a top seller.

HaloPimp978

A true Mario game?:?

candyassgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 candyassgames
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts
Hmm you are just figuring out why i havent bought a mario game since mario 64?
candyassgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 candyassgames

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

Wanderer5

Yes something that isnt a casual piece of sh1t that requires real platforming skill
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#42 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

Damn, Sterling. All this for ONE game (NSMB2)?

Without Mario, Nintendo would be dead, and Ninty already has killed off enough franchise (F-Zero and Star Fox, anyone?), and no other IP would be saving their ass. Not even Pokemon.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wanderer5

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

candyassgames

Yes something that isnt a casual piece of sh1t that requires real platforming skill

Don't think that what a true Mario game suppose to be but well considering how hard NSMBWii supposedly was, maybe the same will be for U.

candyassgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 candyassgames

[QUOTE="candyassgames"][QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

Wanderer5

Don't think that what a true Mario game suppose to be but well considering how hard NSMBWii supposedly was, maybe the same will be for U.

i dont play 2-d platformers anymore that's something i only did in the 80s and early 90s and ill leave it at that.
candyassgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 candyassgames
gamecube is the last nintendo console i bought but i didnt even buy mario sunshine doesnt water jetpack defeat the purpose of mario? It's a goddamn platforming game about running and jumping lol not flying around.
candyassgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 candyassgames
mario galaxy isnt a platforming game it's a flying game.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#49 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

Our jaded troll (that's what I'm calling him from now on) is back in another account, why am I NOT surprised? :|

candyassgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 candyassgames
Our jaded troll is back in another account, why am I NOT surprised? :(nintendoboy16
flying between planets isnt platforming.