Jack Tretton says PS3 has sold "the same if not more" than the 360

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

We look at the market in worldwide terms, and every market is extremely important to us. The facts are, we debuted the PlayStation 3 at $599, which was an extremely steep price barrier for a lot of consumers. And we debuted a year after Microsoft, but on a worldwide basis, weve sold the same, if not more, devices. I think were at 77 million sold right now its basically splitting hairs. Despite all that, our message has been extremely well-received around the world.

Plus, if you look at multimedia services, were the No. 1 streaming device when it comes to Netflix, not Xbox. Theyre trying to I dont really know what theyre trying to do. Id rather not comment on their strategy. But were trying to say were all about the gamers and, by the way, theres multimedia out there. I think the people who tuned in to see this live streaming event, from all around the world, were watching to see the gaming.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

We look at the market in worldwide terms, and every market is extremely important to us. The facts are, we debuted the PlayStation 3 at $599, which was an extremely steep price barrier for a lot of consumers. And we debuted a year after Microsoft, but on a worldwide basis, weve sold the same, if not more, devices. I think were at 77 million sold right now its basically splitting hairs. Despite all that, our message has been extremely well-received around the world.

Plus, if you look at multimedia services, were the No. 1 streaming device when it comes to Netflix, not Xbox. Theyre trying to I dont really know what theyre trying to do. Id rather not comment on their strategy. But were trying to say were all about the gamers and, by the way, theres multimedia out there. I think the people who tuned in to see this live streaming event, from all around the world, were watching to see the gaming.

BigBoss255

Dear Jesus, my Mexican lord and savior...I hope this is fake.

1. Your own dumb fault Tretton

2. PC streams Netflix more than PS3 and Xbox combined like ten times over. Seriously no one cares.

Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

I think we all knew this.

PS2 WON. PS3 won.PS4won. Next up: PS5

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts
Looks like the lems are in last place haha.
heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

Speedzilla
PS1 won as well. SDC.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts
I'm reading that in his monotonous voice and getting annoyed.
Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"]

sts106mat

more proof that blu-ray wasn't needed....

also whats the source for this the spelling mistake  "we're"  not were

Source

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lild1425

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"]

Speedzilla

Source

So the title of the article is: Tretton Talks MS: Weve Sold the Same, if not More, Were Trying to Say Were All About the Gamers and talks about nonsense about how they stream more Netflix than 360.

C'mon man. He self-owned himself.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

looks pretty bad on microsoft part, they had a year head start, way cheaper price, it took the ps3 a very long while to hit its stride. 

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lild1425

looks pretty bad on microsoft part, they had a year head start, way cheaper price, it took the ps3 a very long while to hit its stride. 

Chris_Williams

Dude, your sig totally made me dodge my head. Not cool.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

lild1425

Dude, your sig totally made me dodge my head. Not cool.

Yeah, that's some cool sh!t.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Official numbers from both companies? There are none yet? cool Ill take this as tretton talking out his ass sinces hes actually bragging about selling a system for 599$ and netflix which Im pretty sure Sony said streaming was a non-issue at one point cause they had bluray but changed their tone pretty quick. Im still waiting for my 2400 dollars tretton.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Speedzilla
ummm no, ps3 is running for 2nd place...wii won this last gen
HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

Sold the same as the 360 but lost billions in the process while MS made billions. Congratulations Sony. :roll:

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Sold the same as the 360 but lost billions in the process while MS made billions. Congratulations Sony. :roll:

HaRmLeSS_RaGe
both sony and Microsoft lost billions this gen
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

sts106mat

maybe it wasnt "needed" in 2006 , but thats exactly what ps3 intended to do, introduce bluray and help it win standards competition with HD DVD, it was successful, today i need blurays, i dont want anymore watching movies in DVD quality and have to switch disks for larger games

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

The last Official numbers released (not projections) had the 360 in 2nd.  Cows will just have to deal with the fact that their beloved console finished dead last.  When/If/Whatever the PS3 outsells the 360.. after the gen ended is irrelevant.  I love how Sony completely ignores the fact they they got their asses handed to them by their competitors, after completely dominating the previous gen. 

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts
The PS3 easily outsold the 360.....when you count PS2 numbers. Sony is pathetic.
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
I rather hear pachter than the dumbest of PR guys jack tretton.
Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

Chris_Williams
Really MS gained a load of the market, Sony lost a load, MS made some money and Sony lost every penny it made off the PS2 on the PS3!! So tell me who looks bad?
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Duckyindiana
Really MS gained a load of the market, Sony lost a load, MS made some money and Sony lost every penny it made off the PS2 on the PS3!! So tell me who looks bad?

..and let's not forget.. the PS3 sells well everywhere, while the 360 sells like dog sh!t in japan. It's kinda hard to get a fair assessment when an entire region is bias against your product.
sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2081 Posts
lol all regions are just as important............. yeah no, western games shunned by eastern markets dont tend to sell well in the east oddly enough whereas western games tergeted at a western audience tend to do well and with 360 clearly being ahead in the western markets..........i'll let you works out where this line of thought takes you. nice spin by tretton though.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Speedzilla
Wii won.
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

Speedzilla

lol what!? Uuuuhhh no. Wii sold more than PS3 and Xbox 360... lol 2nd place is not victory

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Chris_Williams
I think, fanboyisms aside, market wise MS have done very well. The fact they have done so much better than they did the previous generation, as well as taking much of Sony's market share is commendable. Sure you may not agree with their current direction, or their business practices, but you can't say it "looks pretty bad on Microsoft".
KingKinect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KingKinect
Member since 2012 • 548 Posts

About the same sounds like loser talk to me.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Yup, even with the year head start MS had and Sony didn't have to drop core to get there. SDC.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
There are some real financial geniuses in here. How many of you follow Sony and Microsofts financial books? Since you're experts on who did or did not make money on what.
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DropsofJupiter
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts
Then show me the numbers.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

[QUOTE="Speedzilla"]

X_CAPCOM_X

lol what!? Uuuuhhh no. Wii sold more than PS3 and Xbox 360... lol 2nd place is not victory

Yeah but with the Wii everyone lost even though Nintendo sold more. They shouldnt be allowed to count anymore. What an abysmal console.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
Dear Jesus, my Mexican lord and savior...I hope this is fake.

1. Your own dumb fault Tretton

2. PC streams Netflix more than PS3 and Xbox combined like ten times over. Seriously no one cares.

lild1425
Did he say more than PC.? Did he even talk about PC.? Is very easy to see about what he was talking about PS3 xbox 360,in fact is not hard to believe that more people watch netflix on PS3 than on 360,on PS3 you don't need xbox live gold to watch netflix,every one who has a PS3 can.
NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Duckyindiana

MS was basically handed its gain for the reasons Chris explained. Same thing won't happen with PS4. This gen proves PS brand is way stronger than the XBox brand, increases in market share or not. Despite Sony's huge blunders,  they managed to outsell the 360. Since profits are so important,  you do realize MS has yet to make money on the XBox brand period right? They've lost more money on Xbox 1 and 360 combined than they've made. 

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

[QUOTE="Speedzilla"]

X_CAPCOM_X

Wow so now second place is nothing,when the 360 had it,second place was like the first place..:lol: Hell most 360 fans say the xbox won,when the wii clearly did,and then they proceed to say the wii is not nextgen and crap like that. Regardless of sony ending second or 3rd MS and sony loss the wii won,that has been my argument for quite some time.
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DropsofJupiter

[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

NineTailedGoku

MS was basically handed its gain for the reasons Chris explained. Same thing won't happen with PS4. This gen proves PS brand is way strong than the XBox brand increases in market share or not. Since profits are so important,  you do realize MS has yet to make money on the XBox brand period right? They've lost more money on Xbox 1 and 360 combined than they've made. 

Incorrect, the Xbox brand has been in profit since 2007, and the Xbox 360 venture has been profitable. Your numbers and facts are wrong.
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 X_CAPCOM_X

[QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"]

[QUOTE="Speedzilla"]

Bread_or_Decide

Yeah but with the Wii everyone lost even though Nintendo sold more. They shouldnt be allowed to count anymore. What an abysmal console.

Well, this thread is about sales. Speedzilla claimed that the PS3 won, because its sales surpassed the xbox 360's. If we are going by sales, neither of those consoles won, because the Wii sold more than both. That is the strict definition in this thread.

If you want to go by other measures that's your choice, I guess. Besides that, Wii has a lot of games that aren't shovelware and actually worth playing.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NineTailedGoku

[QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"] Really MS gained a load of the market, Sony lost a load, MS made some money and Sony lost every penny it made off the PS2 on the PS3!! So tell me who looks bad?DropsofJupiter

MS was basically handed its gain for the reasons Chris explained. Same thing won't happen with PS4. This gen proves PS brand is way strong than the XBox brand increases in market share or not. Since profits are so important,  you do realize MS has yet to make money on the XBox brand period right? They've lost more money on Xbox 1 and 360 combined than they've made. 

Incorrect, the Xbox brand has been in profit since 2007, and the Xbox 360 venture has been profitable. Your numbers and facts are wrong.

It's actually correct, 360 by itself has been profitable but when adding XB1 and 360s losses, they're still in the red. They'll continue to be in the red with Xbox for a while considering the R&D its taken to make 720. 

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DropsofJupiter

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"][QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

NineTailedGoku

It's actually correct, 360 by itself has been profitable but when adding XB1 and 360s losses, they're still in the red. They'll continue to be in the red with Xbox for a while considering the R&D its taken to make 720. 

Do remember Sony lost more with the PS3 alone than Microsoft has on the Xbox in total. You know, if you want to go down that way.
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 X_CAPCOM_X

[QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] Incorrect, the Xbox brand has been in profit since 2007, and the Xbox 360 venture has been profitable. Your numbers and facts are wrong.DropsofJupiter

Do remember Sony lost more with the PS3 alone than Microsoft has on the Xbox in total. You know, if you want to go down that way.

They made more on PS1 and PS2

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

So let's just review how Sony has done with their systems. 

PS1 took 1st

PS2 took 1st

PS3 tied for 2nd

PS4 ?  I don't see how it can possibly not take 1st

Xbox took 3rd

Xbox 360 tied for 2nd

3rd Xbox ? I see it taking 2nd

Nintendo the one before the Wii took 2nd

The Wii took 1st

The Wii U is 3rd

Xbox is the one that has yet to make a 1st Top console. And they don't make handhelds which puts them at another disadvantage to Sony & Nintendo. 

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

[QUOTE="Speedzilla"]

X_CAPCOM_X

Yes. Nintendo got 1 first place. Sony will have 3 of 4 1st places. Xbox has and will continue to have 0. 

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DropsofJupiter

X_CAPCOM_X

They did not. All the money that they made with the PS1 and PS2, they lost in the massive moneyhole that the PS3 and PSP turned out to be.
NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NineTailedGoku

[QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] Do remember Sony lost more with the PS3 alone than Microsoft has on the Xbox in total. You know, if you want to go down that way.DropsofJupiter

They did not. All the money that they made with the PS1 and PS2, they lost in the massive moneyhole that the PS3 and PSP turned out to be.

www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29343084/ms-has-yet-to-make-a-profit-from-xb-brand.-xb1360

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DropsofJupiter

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"][QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"]

NineTailedGoku

www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29343084/ms-has-yet-to-make-a-profit-from-xb-brand.-xb1360

So you just proved my point that the PS3 lost all of Sony's profits, and more money in general than the entirety of the Xbox brand? Thanks!
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]The PS3 easily outsold the 360.....when you count PS2 numbers. Sony is pathetic.

This makes no sense.
NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NineTailedGoku

[QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] They did not. All the money that they made with the PS1 and PS2, they lost in the massive moneyhole that the PS3 and PSP turned out to be.DropsofJupiter

So you just proved my point that the PS3 lost all of Sony's profits, and more money in general than the entirety of the Xbox brand? Thanks!

I never said Sony didn't lose their money. I said MS never made any on the XBox brand. 

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NineTailedGoku

[QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] They did not. All the money that they made with the PS1 and PS2, they lost in the massive moneyhole that the PS3 and PSP turned out to be.sts106mat

so your proof is a link to a forum post of your own making?

Yes, I embedded a chart with hard numbers. Problem? 

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DropsofJupiter

NineTailedGoku

I never said Sony didn't lose their money. I said MS never made any on the XBox brand. 

I never disagreed, but you were so busy obsessing over Microsoft's numbers that you didn't pay attention to that.