It's 2011, does the LOZ franchise need voice acting?

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i3DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 i3DS
Member since 2011 • 445 Posts

What do you think?

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
No. That could easily ruin the franchise.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

What do you think?

i3DS
no... samus didnt have one.. they gave her one and they ****** it up
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

NPCs should talk but Link should remain silent

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Voice acting is one of the least important things the franchise needs.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I....I...I DON'T KNOW! :cry:

lol Seriuosly though, I would like it, but I dont think I would want link to talk. But it doesnt bother me much that they dont talk. It could enhance the game or ruin it :P. I guess I just need to have more faith in Nintendo's ability to make wise decisions. Other M, as far as voices went was pretty darn good for a first attempt.

jimmarko21876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmarko21876
Member since 2004 • 429 Posts
I say yes, as well as most all other Nintendo IPs. There should at least be an option for voice or text. Nothing drives me crazy like the grunting and moaning sounds in Mario. If I want to read, I'll pick up a book :)
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

BPoole96

I don't think the franchise needs Voice Acting, however i'm willing to see the result of this, NPC talking, but IMO Link and Zelda should reman silent.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

madsnakehhh

I don't think the franchise needs Voice Acting, however i'm willing to see the result of this, NPC talking, but IMO Link and Zelda should reman silent.

AND zelda? lol if Zelda doesnt speek, no one should speek. It either needs to be NO VA at all or everyone but Link IMO. I mean zelda does talk in text already anyway, and link does not. Not only that, but I have more faith in Nintendo nailing zeldas voice, but link...oh gosh I dont know.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I say yes, as well as most all other Nintendo IPs.jimmarko21876

I would die a little inside if Link gets a voice, because most japanese to english translations are horrible(it would first need to get a japanese voice, than probably translated into english trough a dub), in every way. Even Square Enix, has had mostly horrible english voice acting (FFX had the absolute worst voice acting ever).

So, there's a 90% chance that the voice acting would destroy the said game, based on the valid history of japanese to english dubs.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

NaveedLife

AND zelda? lol if Zelda doesnt speek, no one should speek. It either needs to be NO VA at all or everyone but Link IMO. I mean zelda does talk in text already anyway, and link does not. Not only that, but I have more faith in Nintendo nailing zeldas voice, but link...oh gosh I dont know.

Yes, And Zelda, see what happened with Samus, the VA was so so, make NPC talk, but don't give Link and Zelda a voice.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Its had voice acting for a while now. Navi's been shouting "Listen!" since the Nintendo 64. :P
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Why is that when Gordon Freeman doesn't talk he's the greatest character of all time but if Link doesn't talk he sucks. Giving well established fantasy characters voices is a terrible idea, they suddenly go from whatever creature or person you imagine in your head to sounding like stupid saturday morning kids show characters.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NaveedLife

Its had voice acting for a while now. Navi's been shouting "Listen!" since the Nintendo 64. :PMrSelf-Destruct

Link even sort of talks a tad lol. In Wind Waker doesnt he scream hey and stuff to get followers to come in the dungeons?

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

No. There would be nothing worse in gaming than hearing Link talk. I can only imagine what he would say,

"Ganon give back zelda."

"No Link. If you want her you have to go through temples and fight bosses."

"Ok. But if I do Zelda, what do I get out of it."

"The feeling of saving me."

"That sucks."

"It will not suck as bad as it will 100 years from now when we do this again."

"WTF."

No quiet characters work for me. And reading is good for you.

TommyWieseau81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TommyWieseau81
Member since 2011 • 455 Posts
No, it'll take away the charm of the series I think.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Of course the franchise could use some voice acting. It could easily backfire but imo only if they make it too stylized. As long as they adopt a philosophy of getting good voice talent, good dialogue writers, and just make everyone sound like normal people, then they should be fine. As for Link, a lot of people would be happy if he only grunted like he does now, but I don't see a reason why he can't talk either. I want him to be the silent type choosing combat over diplomacy and having no desire for conversation, but I think he should be able to talk to shopkeepers about items and that type dialogue. Do people think he was born without a voice box or something? He should not be forced to be mute. He should choose to be

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Yes. Nintendo needs to get with the times. If they can't pull off a simple thing like voice acting then maybe they're not as great as they're made to be. There is no reason NOT to have voice acting. It's not really that hard of a feature to implement. Games have been doing it for years now and with great results. The Zelda series hasn't evolved at all since Ocarina of Time. That's sad. And I love Zelda games, but I think it's time for Nintendo to man up and give their characters actual voices. It's the only logical next step for the series to take(and it should've happened long ago).
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Played a bit of Twilight Princess and it looked like they were going for a sort of fable-ish feel ( not the game ), so no voice-acting doesn't sound too bothersome.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Voice acting is one of the least important things the franchise needs.

Shinobishyguy

It would be a nice touch for NPC's if done right, but other than that, I agree

madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 madmidnight
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts
YES! And it needs great voice actors. Cast it like a Hollywood movie.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NaveedLife

Of course the franchise could use some voice acting. It could easily backfire but imo only if they make it too stylized. As long as they adopt a philosophy of getting good voice talent, good dialogue writers, then they should be fine. As for Link, a lot of people would be happy if he only grunted like he does now, but I don't see a reason why he can't talk either. I want him to be the silent type choosing combat over diplomacy and having no desire for conversation, but I think he should be able to talk to shopkeepers about items and that type dialogue. Do people think he was born without a voice box or something? He should be forced to be mute. He should choose to be

GunSmith1_basic

An annoying voice for link could ruin the game. And honestly I think it would be really hard to get a voice that I would like AND fits his looks.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23992 Posts

No it doesnt need voice acting. Hell, personally, Voice acting detracts from the immersion more often that it adds. Especially considering how awful voice acting tends to be in Nintendo games that tried. I would rather have no voice acting in Zelda.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]Yes. Nintendo needs to get with the times. If they can't pull off a simple thing like voice acting then maybe they're not as great as they're made to be. There is no reason NOT to have voice acting. It's not really that hard of a feature to implement. Games have been doing it for years now and with great results. The Zelda series hasn't evolved at all since Ocarina of Time. That's sad. And I love Zelda games, but I think it's time for Nintendo to man up and give their characters actual voices. It's the only logical next step for the series to take(and it should've happened long ago).

The funny thing is, Nintendo had voice acting on their games. Look at Star Fox.
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Messiahbolical-

Of course the franchise could use some voice acting. It could easily backfire but imo only if they make it too stylized. As long as they adopt a philosophy of getting good voice talent, good dialogue writers, then they should be fine. As for Link, a lot of people would be happy if he only grunted like he does now, but I don't see a reason why he can't talk either. I want him to be the silent type choosing combat over diplomacy and having no desire for conversation, but I think he should be able to talk to shopkeepers about items and that type dialogue. Do people think he was born without a voice box or something? He should be forced to be mute. He should choose to be

GunSmith1_basic
We already know what Link's voice SOUNDS like, so as long as they don't change the sound of Link's voice for voice acting everybody should be happy.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
No it doesn't, I can do with games not having voice acting. I don't really have problems readin the text and I actually get more into the game when they can't talk.
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Messiahbolical-
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]Yes. Nintendo needs to get with the times. If they can't pull off a simple thing like voice acting then maybe they're not as great as they're made to be. There is no reason NOT to have voice acting. It's not really that hard of a feature to implement. Games have been doing it for years now and with great results. The Zelda series hasn't evolved at all since Ocarina of Time. That's sad. And I love Zelda games, but I think it's time for Nintendo to man up and give their characters actual voices. It's the only logical next step for the series to take(and it should've happened long ago).

Only on a few of their games. I'm talking about ALL of them.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#28 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Yes, it really does. There's no excuse for it not to have VOs at this point.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
There been 2 times link has been given a voice....Please lets not do that again
madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 madmidnight
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]Yes. Nintendo needs to get with the times. If they can't pull off a simple thing like voice acting then maybe they're not as great as they're made to be. There is no reason NOT to have voice acting. It's not really that hard of a feature to implement. Games have been doing it for years now and with great results. The Zelda series hasn't evolved at all since Ocarina of Time. That's sad. And I love Zelda games, but I think it's time for Nintendo to man up and give their characters actual voices. It's the only logical next step for the series to take(and it should've happened long ago).

And Conker, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark. Rare developed games.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

We already know what Link's voice SOUNDS like, so as long as they don't change the sound of Link's voice for voice acting everybody should be happy.Messiahbolical-

It would have a japanese voice, later dubed in english..

And like i said before, i know for a certainty that it would be at best mediocre, if we want to be optimistic, and thinking realistically, it would be bad.

I'm not pulling this stuff out of my ass, most japanese to english translations are down right horrible, in every way, a little bit of research would obliterate any doubt. And this includes both movies and games. I don't know why, maybe its because the way japanese portray their emotions trough writting is vastly different than most of the world.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="madmidnight"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]Yes. Nintendo needs to get with the times. If they can't pull off a simple thing like voice acting then maybe they're not as great as they're made to be. There is no reason NOT to have voice acting. It's not really that hard of a feature to implement. Games have been doing it for years now and with great results. The Zelda series hasn't evolved at all since Ocarina of Time. That's sad. And I love Zelda games, but I think it's time for Nintendo to man up and give their characters actual voices. It's the only logical next step for the series to take(and it should've happened long ago).

Goldeneye had voice acting?
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GunSmith1_basic

if they don't want voice acting then I think they should revamp the series. Right now there is text boxes, and I don't see how that could be better than voice acting. It's like the elephant in the room. Twilight princess could so easily have voice acting in it and be a better game for it if it just replaced the existing text. Maybe Nintendo should change the series so that there is almost no interaction at all so that no talking just makes sense rather than it being increasingly strange that nobody seems to be talking when everything else about the games is getting more and more realistic

madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madmidnight
There been 2 times link has been given a voice....Please lets not do that againHarlockJC
Please like those even count. Traditionalists. Voice acting, if done properly, can only enhance the game experience. That is a fact, not a question or opinion. My guess or opinion is that if they do decide to add VO to Zelda, they WILL do it properly. They wouldn't F it up.
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Messiahbolical-

An annoying voice for link could ruin the game. And honestly I think it would be really hard to get a voice that I would like AND fits his looks.

NaveedLife
He already has a voice. It's HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! All they have to do is make the voice sound like the voice of the grunting and nobody can complain.
madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 madmidnight
[QUOTE="madmidnight"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]The funny thing is, Nintendo had voice acting on their games. Look at Star Fox.nintendoboy16

I thought so. I guess I could hook up the N64... Nah.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#37 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

NaveedLife

Why do you assume Link would have a voice?

They could easily keep link silent while every one else has spoken lines.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="madmidnight"] And Conker, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark. Rare developed games. madmidnight

I thought so. I guess I could hook up the N64... Nah.

NO it did not. Perfect Dark did however and it was pretty darn good for the time.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
Does it need it? I don't think so. Do I want it to get voice acting? Of course, it would improve the experience.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

BuryMe

Why do you assume Link would have a voice?

They could easily keep link silent while every one else has spoken lines.

I was responding to him talking about link having a voice. I already posted how I felt on the situation earlier int he thread. I THINK that it could be a good idea for everyone but Link.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GunSmith1_basic
it doesn't have to be like the CD-i games.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
NPC's need voice acting but link can remain silent. Quite frankly i'm tired of them saying ooogaaboogaa every time you want to have a chat. Sadly nintendo seems too cheap and would skimp on a decent cast. Hell, mario and zelda finally got orchestrated music for peeps sake. It's astonishing that demon's soul can provide believable voice acting given their limited budget.
dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
Do ANY of nintendo's games have acting/voice overs?? No you say? then why would they start? they must save a REDICULOUS amount on localization without speech. I'm sure Iwata said something like, "im still not convinced 'voice's' in game is what gamers want" lol
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nintendoboy16

Do ANY of nintendo's games have acting/voice overs?? dRuGGeRnaUt
Star Fox. Look at 64/Lylat Wars, Adventures and Assault.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Messiahbolical-

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]We already know what Link's voice SOUNDS like, so as long as they don't change the sound of Link's voice for voice acting everybody should be happy.Lucianu

And like i said before, i know for a certainty that it would be at best mediocre, if we want to be optimistic, and thinking realistically, it would be bad.

I'm not pulling this stuff out of my ass, most japanese to english translations are down right horrible, in every way, a little bit of research would obliterate any doubt. And this includes both movies and games. I don't know why, maybe its because the way japanese portray their emotions trough writting is vastly different than most of the world.

Who cares? If Nintendo is as legendary and great of a developer as everyone claims, they should be able to pull it off. There's no excuse. They have more than enough money to search high and low for the very best of the best voice actors and to pay a team of as many developers, writers, translators, and whoever else it takes to do the job and do it right. They could do it if they really wanted to put in the effort and money to make it happen, especially with all of the profits they've made this gen. If they really can't do it, then they're not all they're cracked up to be.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

BPoole96
This.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I don't know. I'd have to hear it to see how it sounds. I wouldn't want Oblivion style voice-acting in it though.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21706 Posts

No, I like reading the text.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I don't think this matters at all the reason why I didn't like Metroid Other M wasn't because of Samus talking I didn't like it because it was a bad game. I like Mega Man 8 despite the voice acting.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]We already know what Link's voice SOUNDS like, so as long as they don't change the sound of Link's voice for voice acting everybody should be happy.Messiahbolical-

Who cares? If Nintendo is as legendary and great of a developer as everyone claims, they should be able to pull it off. There's no excuse. They have more than enough money to search high and low for the very best of the best voice actors and to pay a team of as many developers, writers, translators, and whoever else it takes to do the job and do it right. They could do it if they really wanted to put in the effort and money to make it happen, especially with all of the profits they've made this gen. If they really can't do it, then they're not all they're cracked up to be.

Maybe...there's actually more to making a great game than just voice acting and production values. :O

Just saiyan.