Isn't It Weird That Remastered Games Are Doing So Well?

• 102 results
Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Heroldp813
Member since 2008 • 2103 Posts

I've noticed that people are shelling out $60 for a game they've played already. I'm sure the developers have no qualms with re- releasing a game with minor graphic updated to make money again. I don't think I can give a developer money twice for the same experience. That just me

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

I like remasters. I also feel that they're necessary on a system that's not backwards compatible. I have FFX/X-2 Remaster on PS3 but I haven't touched my PS3 since I bought a PS4. Therefore if I wanna play games like The Uncharted Series, FFXII, FFX/X-2 Remaster, Skyrim I'm gonna need to buy them on PS4. I kinda feel you on the paying $60 for the same game so I will wait for a price drop but I'm definitely getting those games, though

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3  Edited By k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I find it hard to believe people play a game more than once unless they are trophy hunters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Depends on how much I liked the original game in question, and/or if I played it to begin with- some of the remasters I have bought this gen have been Wind Waker HD, Skyrim, The Last of Us, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Of those, I had played all but TLOU before and relished the chance to play them again on a more modern system. TLOU I just wanted to play for the first time.

I also got Persona 4 Golden and Final Fantasy X HD- Persona 4 Golden went on to become my favorite game of all time (since knocked down by BotW and P5), and Final Fantasy 10 is a sad, sorry joke.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I dont think they're all doing well... I see most droping in price pretty quickly after their release. AC Ezio collection was like half-price a month after its release. The BioShock Collection drop fast aswell

Thank GOD. I fvckin hate the remaster abuse this gen...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Not really.

A lot of times people are picking up the game for the first time. Sometimes it's a collection of games. Sometimes it's not even full price. Sometimes you miss playing a game on a system you no longer own. Some people would rather play an old favorite with better performance and graphics.

Makes plenty of sense to me. And honestly, I have no problem with remasters and ports. It's not like it takes time away from a developer working on a new game (as some dummies around here seem to believe). And if anything, it's even more funding to work on new stuff.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner

@Vatusus said:

Curious, how does it affect you?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

I bought The Last of Us on the PS3, and I bought the Last of Us Remastered on the PS4. I did that because my PS3 did the YLOD on me after the intro of TLOU and went and bought a PS4.

I also bought Halo MCC, because well, it's Halo. Can never get enough of Halo.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

If a game is fun a game is fun! Who cares if it is a remaster or a backward compat game. If you enjoy playing the game that is all that matters. Are you saying you can only enjoy a game that is brand new? I feel bad for you if that is true! Kind of like fanboys making fun of the Xbox backward compat program. Hell it is an awesome program that allows you access to more games on your box. If a game is fun, it does not matter if it is new or 10 years old to me!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@Heroldp813: It's only the same experience if you've played it before. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

A lot of people who buy remasters will have never played the original. I've never played MK8 for instance as I never owned a WiiU so the fact it's on the Switch is great for me. It gives people the option to buy it I suppose if they want to. Nobody is forced to buy them.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Top rated games on ps4 are a ps3 games and top rated games on switch are ports of Wiiu games.

Go figure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Vatusus said:

Curious, how does it affect you?

Contrary to poplar belief it does affect all of us

Why would a publisher support a new game/new IP when, for a way lesser budget, they can re-release games that dont even have 5 years?

And before you come and say "usually its outside studios that do the remakes"... yeah, those studios could still be making new games instead of liming the arests of old ones...

Its my point of view. I've already heard all types of arguments against mine and they never convinced me so, dont bother...

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I don't really see the problem in rebuying games, especially if they add new features. I would have gotten MK8 on Switch just for it being portable. If a JRPG I liked releases on a handheld with added features (like Disgaea or Persona 4 Golden) I'll get them as well. I also rebought many PSP games I liked digitally to play them on my Vita, so I don't have to keep my PSP loaded and take it with me for the odd chance I want to play some PSP game.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Most remasters are barely upgrades at all. I don't buy them unless they are old games that were great, like Day of the Tentacle or a huge overhaul.

For instance, I never would have paid for the Skyrim remaster. Glad we got it for free on PC.

The new Bulletstorm remaster is also delving into the realms of greed. 50 bucks for a remaster that barely looks any different. Not buying that BS.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#16 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Heroldp813:

I see no harm in them. It not only solves the backwards compatibility issue but it also gives old games a much needed touch up so that it will be easy to enjoy them as well as we remember.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@Vatusus said:

Its my point of view. I've already heard all types of arguments against mine and they never convinced me so, dont bother...

"I know I'm wrong, but I've already convinced myself, so leave me alone"

lol ok.

-

But just in case you do feel like engaging in discussion here.

1. You might have an argument there if these same companies weren't making new games. And in the case of some companies, remasters and ports enable them to make new games.

2. It doesn't even matter if it is handled in-house. It only takes a skeleton crew of programmers and artists. The rest of the team, game designers included, don't have to touch it. So nope, at no point does a remaster or port stop a studio, or even slow them down for that matter. Also, some of those studios that handle ports/remasters and nothing else? Guess what, often times they're not even capable of developing a game. Your reasoning here is similar to a person assuming their local Autozone can design and manufacture cars lol.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

If it's what people want to play. They're asking way too much though. Bulletstorm didn't sell sh** back when it released and now they think people will pay 50 bucks again when it's 6 years old.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Remastered games doing well aren't strange at all. And it's not new. Mario All Stars was a great game. I still love playing it.

I have 3 different copies of Street fighter 3:3rd Strike(DC, PS2, PS3) and they all have plenty of playtime.

Remasters often:

1. Look better(PS2 version has slightly larger sprites.PS3 version of third strike has graphic filters.)

2. Extend replay value of a great experience(in my example adding online in PS3 version gave 3rd Strike INFINITE replay value)

3. Add great extra features(galleries, replays, trophies/awards, etc.)

Remember that remastered games are great games to begin with. So making a great game even greater is all the more reason to go back to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Vatusus said:

lol ok.

-

But just in case you do feel like engaging in discussion here.

1. You might have an argument there if these same companies weren't making new games. And in the case of some companies, remasters and ports enable them to make new games.

2. It doesn't even matter if it is handled in-house. It only takes a skeleton crew of programmers and artists. The rest of the team, game designers included, don't have to touch it. So nope, at no point does a remaster or port stop a studio, or even slow them down for that matter. Also, some of those studios that handle ports/remasters and nothing else? Guess what, often times they're not even capable of developing a game. Your reasoning here is similar to a person assuming their local Autozone can design and manufacture cars lol.

Was this supposed to be... idk, smart? try again

"But just in case you do feel like engaging in discussion here."

Not really, no. But ok.

1. They are making new games yes, but they could be making more with the budget they're wasting remastering recent games.

2. A few people or not those people are still resources that could be making or helping making new games.

c'mon, are you even trying?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ConanTheStoner
@Vatusus said:

1. They are making new games yes, but they could be making more with the budget they're wasting remastering recent games.

2. A few people or not those people are still resources that could be making or helping making new games.

1. Ultra derp. What do you think happens to the money they make from these remasters haha. Low cost high return projects. Are you seriously trying to say that remasters work against their budget? Come on bro. The opposite is true.

2. You probably haven't worked in gaming or any type of entertainment related production, so I don't blame you for not knowing this stuff, but... that's not how it works bud. There's an overflow of artists and programmers in this industry, much more of them than there are steady jobs. A skeleton crew can get a remaster done in less than the time it takes for a new project to go through pre-production. It's not taking away from a core team at all.

@Vatusus said:

Not really, this is pretty simple stuff.

Anyways man, I see you have your mind made up, just not sure why. Like usually when I hold a belief which is proven to be wrong, I'm quick to accept the new found knowledge lol.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44290 Posts

I don't mind buying remastered games myself. They're typically good games made even better.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@Vatusus said:

Was this supposed to be... idk, smart? try again

"But just in case you do feel like engaging in discussion here."

Not really, no. But ok.

1. He literally addressed your point. Releasing remasters brings profits. It doesn't have a negative impact on their wallet. More profits means more money for better games.

2. You're assuming the main studio takes care of the remaster but that's not the case. They're outsourced to some studios that do almost nothing else but remasters or a tiny part of the in-house crew. It really doesn't impact new games. In fact it's easy money for the publishers. For example, Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection was remastered by Bluepoint Games, not Naughty Dogs.

I'm not fond of remasters either. They're often lazy cash grabs like the Ezio Collection but there's no denying they have a positive impact on the bottom line most of the time. If they're done well and the games are old enough I'm all for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Vatusus said:

1. Ultra derp

I only read your post until here. When someone starts his post with something like this its all I need to know his lower brain isnt even worth my time

bye

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConanTheStoner

@Vatusus said:

I only read your post until here. When someone starts his post with something like this its all I need to know his lower brain isnt even worth my time

bye

Top kek.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I don't mind buying remastered games myself. They're typically good games made even better.

+1

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

There are some games that really do need some quality of life improvements that can take advantage of modern hardware and do well with today's consumers. Planescape: Torment, for example, in its original form is a cluttered mess at a native resolution of 640x480. It's fine with mods that improve the resolution and user interface, but the Enhanced Edition is a fantastic package that brings a lot of much needed QoL improvements aside from what the mods already do.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Keep in mind there are also boat loads of new gamers every year. Games that gamers missed out on. Games that gamers treasure and want to have the best version of.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@k--m--k said:

I find it hard to believe people play a game more than once unless they are trophy hunters.

I did it quite a few times, a lot of times for necessity (didn't have the console the game was on anymore), sometimes because I got a new console and could play them significantly better (Bayonetta and RDR on 360 after playing them on PS3).

I did buy multiple copies to support devs sometimes. Did that with Hotline Miami and Valkyria Chronicles. The Witcher 3 (PS4 and PC) is kinda mix of all the reasons.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#30 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@Heroldp813: I would like a switch version of driver parallel lines that's for sure

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@Heroldp813:

Wait.

How do you know everyone already played a remaster?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

Darksiders remastered has been great fun, I never would have played them if they were not remastered. Skyrim SE should have been cheaper at launch, but I was willing to pay 60 just because it's one of my favorites. So I'm glad remasters exist, someday I'll get TLOU also.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

@k--m--k said:

Hard to believe people play for fun huh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I like remasters. If I love a game, why wouldn't I want to play an even better version of it? There is still a lot of past games that I would get really excited about if they were remastered.

Plus remasters give a chance for people that never owned the original console that it was made for to play the game.

And it's not like it stops the developers from making new games since remasters take very little resources to make and the money that they make from the remasters can be used to help fund new games. It's a win-win situation all around.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#35 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts

Um... no?

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I only buy remasters if I never played the game before or don't own the game anymore. Final fantasy X/X-2 is the only remaster I brought that I played, but don't have the game anymore. Other than that, I never played any of the remaster I brought.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Are you even trying? That's assuming there would be a job for that studio to work on given how little triple A productions are in today's era. That studio like Bluepoint, which isn't a big studio, is a start up, making ends meet by being a remastering studio. It's no different than smaller individual studios/teams supplying just one type of asset. A studio/field that benefits from letting programmers and the like continue to work on the technical/software side, without needing to pick up projects that are heavy on crunch (like triple A game development for instance).

Low cost, high return projects get funneled into new projects. Most businesses recognize you can only get away with releasing your back catalog for so long.

Albeit, in stupider cases it's a publisher testing the waters to gauge interest for said ip, but that's done by shmucks like Konami.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Hack and Slash games benefit tremendously from them, I mean higher frame rates is key in those types.

I like remasters though, especially if the game wasn't very successful. Gravity Rush being only a vita game that ended up remastered for the ps4 built up some fans for the series for gravity rush 2.

I'd like to see a remaster (if a remake or second game aren't to be made) of playstation allstars to build up hype for the series and to just play it on the ps4.

The ps3 controller is very weak sauce compared to the ps4 controller, xbox fans had a point last gen about the controller but them saying the xbox one controller is better than the ps4 controller is trash. PLaying a game on the ps4 controller makes it a better experience than playing it on the ps3 controller.

Also you're probably talking about games like dragons dogma, bayonetta, and vanquish, those games never were on pc to begin with.

Also it's quite easy to like remasters when pc gamers get the game for free usually if they own the original version on steam.

It's not a remaster but Yakuza Kiwami is a remake of yakuza 1 and it's going to be one of my gotys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

I enjoy remasters! Would love to see Red Dead Redemption or Fallout: New Vegas get remastered. Now that I got the Pro, I definitely plan on picking up The Last of Us, since I never did get a chance to beat the game, can't even remember how I far I got, but I played it back on the Playstation 3 for about 4-5 hours...lol

I also would love to see a Ni No Kuni remaster and I plan on picking up Kingdom Hearts...

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

Depends on the game. That and the features the remake or special edition has.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

No its not weird. Some people sell their old consoles so remasters allows them to play some of their favorite games again with a better presentation.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

@kinky-unikorn: You can pickup ultimate edition of New Vegas for dirt cheap on PC, then you get the high res textures along with other mods, it's worth it

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@k--m--k said:

I always go back and replay old games like the original Sonic series and the original style Resident Evil.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

@Vatusus : Remasters are outsourced to smaller companies for the purpose of not taking away time or resources from the bigger companies.

Their budgets are actually considerably smaller than that of a blockbuster triple A game. Additionally the development cycle of a new game is rather lengthy. Any projects that were accepted or considered for acceptance have already started or the resources have been allocated.

In short, remasters don't take away from anything. They're low cost high return investments that pump money into the industry and expand a fan base for future titles. Didn't get to play TLoU? Now you can!

The only thing omitting remasters guarantees is that the industry has less options which has a negative impact on gaming.

None of the above is said to sway you from your stance but to help you understand that your stance actually has a negative impact on a hobby you enjoy. But that's your stance to take so enjoy it!

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I felt I got my money's worth with Bioschock collection, 3 games for 60$ and they added new stuff like Director's commentary. And for games I have never played before, I don't mind paying regular price but if I already own the game then it's not enough for me to just have a minor graphical bump and pay full price, unless it is a franchise I'm crazy about. I've done that before and definitely felt burned, because for 1 game (almost no difference between the 2 versions) I would end up paying more than 130$ basically.

If I already own the game I usually like to see new things in remasters I purchase, like Ori Definitive Edition had extra stuff in there and it's a game I loved so I didn't mind buying it again. It's on a case by case basis with me, but definitely this year I am slowing down a lot on those purchases.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

As much as I love this generation of games (Bloodborne, DOOM, Overwatch, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, MGSV, etc) they still come out few and far between compared to the dozens of games that would come out month after month last gen. We are seeing maybe 3 or 4 AAA-games come out in a month now, MAYBE. It definitely felt like last gen had way more games come out that by the end of the year there was hundreds to choose from rather than a few dozen these last couple years. Still very polished games, but the infrequency of games coming out this gen is definitely noticeable.

Which to me says something about remasters coming out and cashing in on the old games once more. Borderlands 2, Last of Us, Bioshock, Uncharted...these are all games that came out last gen and yet they are being remastered because of their lasting appeal. I know outside parties work on these sometimes but to me it feels like companies are thinking "why spend resources on a next entry or new IP when we can milk the shit out of this old gem?"

and as a business, this is cash-cow thinking and is very smart.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Just bought Darksiders Remastered a few hours ago for $12, bought Darksiders 2 a few months ago also. Hopefully they invest strongly in Darksiders 3 and make that kickass as well.

Just fired up the first for a bit of mindless violence, and wasn't disappointed...shit was going off.

War is here!!!

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@Vatusus: what if intially that outside studio didnt have money for new ip but a remastered do well give them enough profit to ?

What if after that profit they make the best game you ever made ?

Every practice has shady aspects but overall remasters work as long as there in demand.

They actually might be the reason your recent fav game came out. So chill and be greatful.

The day even 20 percent of all games are remasters then youll actually have half a point

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I would prefer seeing something more dramatic then just improved resolution and better framerates - Halo anniversary, Ocarina 3DS, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, FFVII etc

Playing FFX remastered right now and I'm thinking how great it would be if the game was running on FF13's engine or something, but this slightly upgraded remasters have pretty much killed any chance of that ever happening. At this point I might just prefer playing the PS2 version as the remaster looks kinda off to me.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

I'm fully for remasters on the condition they're well done. Many of them are obviously lazy cash-ins with the least amount of effort put in possible.

The Last of Us Remastered was a massive disappointment and reeked of being hastily kicked out the door to help the PS4. Compared to vanilla TLoU it is chock full of bugs and not nearly as polished. It's still the one I play as getting 60fps is worth putting up with the other technical blemishes, but aside from that improvement it's largely inferior to the original.