Is Wii U poised for victory?

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SonyNintendoFan
SonyNintendoFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SonyNintendoFan
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

While the next gen consoles are coming out on Fall 2013, Nintendo will be dropping huge exclusives that will sway costumers the other way. Looks like a good strategy on Nintendo's part. Perhaps even a price drop, to appeal even further.

Whatever SONY and Microsoft do, Nintendo will always have that year head start on them, dropping huge first party games, winning over costumers with the cheaper console that has the most appealing games.

Best technology has never meant more sales, look at VITA.

What do you think?

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
I disagree. Only because a lot of Nintendo's top exclusives probably won't even launch until the end of the year or in 2014 and I am pretty confident both Sony and MS consoles will have an awesome launch lineup. Especially Sony considering we don't know what half of their studios have been working on the past couple years.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

If Nintendo's first party was all it needed to come out on top, the N64 and Gamecube would have come out on top, no?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
by the time nintendo releases all the heavy hitters, ps4/720 would have launched. Game over sheep.
SonyNintendoFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SonyNintendoFan

If Nintendo's first party was all it needed to come out on top, the N64 and Gamecube would have come out on top, no?

lx_theo
That's the past, the future is different.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

While the next gen consoles are coming out on Fall 2013, Nintendo will be dropping huge exclusives that will sway costumers the other way. Looks like a good strategy on Nintendo's part. Perhaps even a price drop, to appeal even further.

Whatever SONY and Microsoft do, Nintendo will always have that year head start on them, dropping huge first party games, winning over costumers with the cheaper console that has the most appealing games.

What do you think?

SonyNintendoFan

No ?

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

SonyNintendoFan

If you fail to learn from history, you're only doomed to repeat it.

That's all I'll say...

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
nah, Wii U is dead and will stay dead
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NoodleFighter  Online
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

I need motivations to have it compliment my PC instead of just doing "Yah Know" :P

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
The people who aren't buying Wii Us and are waiting on the other two. They are doing that for a reason and that reason is something Nintendo can't fix with games or price drops. Those people don't want last gen tech and/or a tablet controller. Nintendo releasing games and dropping the price doesn't chance the controller or specs of the Wii U.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts
[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

SonyNintendoFan

Yet you cite the past as evidence at points in your original post. Shocking.
-Patrick_92-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Patrick_92-
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

Nintendo will do fine this gen, but I do not think they will do better than either the PS4/Next Box.  Yeah they had that awesome Nintendo Direct, but most of those games are probably ways off, by the time they come out PS4/Next would have already launched.  Nintendo flubbed their head start.  Not to mention their questionable 3rd party support in the future.  If PS4/Next are similar in power that means 3rd party devs are more likely to make games for those systems and PC, leaving the Wii U with shovelware party games.  I do think the system will sell fine, just off of Nintendo games alone, but it's not going to see Wii like success this time around (casuals aren't biting this time on the gimmick, and most of them probably think it's just a Wii add-on).

Who knows though, Nintendo pulled a 180 with the 3DS, but the home console market is different.  We'll just have to wait and see, this should be a very interesting gen :)

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Nah. The Wii was a fluke. The WiiU is more in line with Nintendo recent consoles.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#15 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol @ 2nd poster expecting a lne up better then wiius dream on , 

what can microsoft provide ? other then forza and halo because those been played this entire gen 

and if sony has not learned their lesson theyll probably not launch their retro games that started playstation  theyll just take chances with new ips that wouldnt matter    , 

and then theres the price!  cant have a good line up without knowing how much youll spend , that said i say wiiu is going to do decently once games come out , , just like 3ds before it 

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

what can microsoft provide ? other then forza and halo because those been played this entire gen 

and if sony has not learned their lesson theyll probably not launch their retro games that started playstation  theyll just take chances with new ips that wouldnt matter    , 

and then theres the price!  cant have a good line up without knowing how much youll spend , that said i say wiiu is going to do decently once games come out , , just like 3ds before it 

mariokart64fan

WiiU will be last place. Case closed...the gimmicks didn't work this time and you have no 3rd party support for your cappy hardware. Mario and Zelda can go only do so much. I am sure Sony will try some new IPs because they don't keep rehashing the same sh!t for 20+ years like Nintendo.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Not really.

I'm honestly expecting a lot of game developers to switch over to the PS4/720 when they're announced almost immediately.

Still waiting on that software-only nintendo.  I can still picture Nintendo turning fan-made projects into official games.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]by the time nintendo releases all the heavy hitters, ps4/720 would have launched. Game over sheep.

That is what have been said to the 3DS when the Vita was released....oh wait
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LastRambo341

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

StrongBlackVine

WiiU will be last place. Case closed...the gimmicks didn't work this time and you have no 3rd party support for your cappy hardware. Mario and Zelda can go only do so much. I am sure Sony will try some new IPs because they don't keep rehashing the same sh!t for 20+ years like Nintendo.

Wanna bet on that? ;)
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

mariokart64fan
wiiu is competing with last gen which cost less :lol:
Wiiyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wiiyou
Member since 2012 • 650 Posts

WiiU got no big exclusives, maybe get some interesting info at E3 but so far it got to few games to compete

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
The Wii U has already lost to the PS3 and Xbox 360. When the real next gen starts, the Wii U will just be this strange oddity that came out right at the end of Gen 7.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

I don't think it will be Nintendo franchises that will save it, if anything at all. Those are the same games that didn't help the 64 or GC and back than they had Rare for 64 and they had RE exclusive along with a few more Capcom game for the GC(though Capcom later ported RE4, Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe).

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

killzowned24

No, the WiiU is a new system: new gen
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Has it even been confirmed that they will both release in fall 2013?
The 360 sold horrible in its headstart too.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Timstuff
[QUOTE="killzowned24"][QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

LastRambo341

No, the WiiU is a new system: new gen

I think history will remember the Wii U as gen 7.5.
EpicGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EpicGame
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
There is NOTHING that Nintendo can do to take attention away from new consoles, but they will be dropping some massive exclusives at the end of the year to stay relevant. It will be a good time to be a Wii U owner.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

There is NOTHING that Nintendo can do to take attention away from new consoles, but they will be dropping some massive exclusives at the end of the year to stay relevant. It will be a good time to be a Wii U owner.EpicGame

I fully agree. The only thing that will even get me close to ever buying a Wii U is a price around 200 and the new Zelda game being incredible. That is the only game I would shell out money for, but it would have to be amazing beyond belief. Most of the other Nintendo 1st party games don't appeal to me and I didn't like the feel of the controller at PAX last year.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="EpicGame"]There is NOTHING that Nintendo can do to take attention away from new consoles, but they will be dropping some massive exclusives at the end of the year to stay relevant. It will be a good time to be a Wii U owner.nightshade869

I fully agree. The only thing that will even get me close to ever buying a Wii U is a price around 200 and the new Zelda game being incredible. That is the only game I would shell out money for, but it would have to be amazing beyond belief. Most of the other Nintendo 1st party games don't appeal to me and I didn't like the feel of the controller at PAX last year.

Wow that is really weird man. Sad to hear it.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

If they can manage this lineup

September:

Retro Studios and/ or Zelda Wind Waker

November:

3D Mario

December:

Mario Kart 8

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts
i dunno. it's losing exclusives without any new systems acting as competition. at least when the ps3 was losing titles to the 360, it was because the 360 had been out for a year longer (meaning it had gotten itself into plenty of homes already) and microsoft was buying things like timed exlusiveness or extra content up.
BARRICADE_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 BARRICADE_28
Member since 2004 • 154 Posts

Whatever SONY and Microsoft do, Nintendo will always have that year head start on them, dropping huge first party games, winning over costumers with the cheaper console that has the most appealing games.SonyNintendoFan

Gamecube also had the same Nintendo exclusives and it finished last place behind Xbox and PS2.

People aren't fascinated with Wii technology anymore and the lack of quality non-Nintendo games.  The Wii U was a horrible idea and will finish in last place this gen.  The system never had any hype behind it, gamers just aren't that excited about it and casual gamers have seen the Wii fad come and go and now have their Wii's collecting dust underneeath their TV's.

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts

What do you think?

SonyNintendoFan

dream on

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

[QUOTE="SonyNintendoFan"]

What do you think?

AcidThunder

dream on

Nintendo will actually be showing off a lot of exclusives at E3.

3D Mario

Smash Bros 4

Mario Kart 8

Xeno-Something

Retro Studios

Shin Megami X Fire Emblem

Bayonetta 2

and Yoshi's Land

These are just the announced. 

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AcidThunder

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

What do you think?

RogueStatus28

dream on

3D Mario

Smash Bros 4

Mario Kart 8

Xeno-Something

Retro Studios

Bayonetta 2

and Yoshi's Land

i know they are going to release exclusives but the point is that these serve only a niche audience
its not gonna help them any longer 

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Timstuff

Whatever SONY and Microsoft do, Nintendo will always have that year head start on them, dropping huge first party games, winning over costumers with the cheaper console that has the most appealing games.BARRICADE_28

Gamecube also had the same Nintendo exclusives and it finished last place behind Xbox and PS2.

People aren't fascinated with Wii technology anymore and the lack of quality non-Nintendo games.  The Wii U was a horrible idea and will finish in last place this gen.  The system never had any hype behind it, gamers just aren't that excited about it and casual gamers have seen the Wii fad come and go and now have their Wii's collecting dust underneeath their TV's.

A lot of them have moved the Wii from under the TV into a drawer or the closet. How many people keep things plugged in that they don't use for months at a time?
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="BARRICADE_28"]

Whatever SONY and Microsoft do, Nintendo will always have that year head start on them, dropping huge first party games, winning over costumers with the cheaper console that has the most appealing games.Timstuff

A lot of them have moved the Wii from under the TV into a drawer or the closet. How many people keep things plugged in that they don't use for months at a time?

Yes that happens to all consoles unless you don't have a PC. They have huge periods between exclusives. I think the PS3 kept itself plugged in simply because my parents could use it to play bluray movies.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="RogueStatus28"]

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

dream on

AcidThunder

3D Mario

Smash Bros 4

Mario Kart 8

Xeno-Something

Retro Studios

Bayonetta 2

and Yoshi's Land

i know they are going to release exclusives but the point is that these serve only a niche audience

If third party is multiplats, and exclusives don't sell consoles, then what does? Social media?
AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AcidThunder

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

[QUOTE="RogueStatus28"] Nintendo will actually be showing off a lot of exclusives at E3.

3D Mario

Smash Bros 4

Mario Kart 8

Xeno-Something

Retro Studios

Bayonetta 2

and Yoshi's Land

KungfuKitten

If third party is multiplats, and exclusives don't sell consoles, then what does? Social media?

never said third party is not gonna help them but thats exactly the point there are not enough of them plus the fact that the console is severly underpowered does not help them either

SonyNintendoFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SonyNintendoFan
[QUOTE="SonyNintendoFan"][QUOTE="lx_theo"]

lx_theo

Yet you cite the past as evidence at points in your original post. Shocking.

You mean the VITA example? That's recent silly.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KungfuKitten

never said third party is not gonna help them but thats exactly the point there are not enough of them plus the fact that the console is severly underpowered does not help them either

AcidThunder

Meh I don't think people ever cared about that last bit. Third party is way more meaningless than exclusives I think. Why would someone buy a console for third party when they play better on a PC and the PC ends up being a financially similar alternative? No I think Sony may offer some exclusives, but Microsoft is likely to bank on people being too stupid to buy a PC.
What sold the 360 was the community. Gamers were more or less forced to buy a 360 to play with friends. I hope that this time it will be different as all platforms will have proper community building tools.

Avatar image for GamespotSux_IKR
GamespotSux_IKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GamespotSux_IKR
Member since 2012 • 66 Posts

Wii U will fly when the Mario Kart finally comes out. The kids can't get enough of that game- hehe (me)

I'll buy a PS4 if they just give me just one game I want. I bought a PS3 for just a few games. Wii too~

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LastRambo341

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

AcidThunder

Nice audience? Did you see how games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. sell? Severly underpowered? How sure are you?
Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Nintendo doesn't have the casual hook this time. A tablet controller is nothing compared to what the wiimote was. Plus the WiiU doesn't have a Wii sports type hook.

No casuals, very very low 3rd party support, plus Nintendo 1st party= Gamecube/N64 sells numbers

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AcidThunder

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"] If third party is multiplats, and exclusives don't sell consoles, then what does? Social media?LastRambo341

Nice audience? Did you see how games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. sell? Severly underpowered? How sure are you?

people are not gonna buy the Wii U just to play Mario Kart or Smash bros. so they are not gonna convert any gamers 
and i know a console is severly underpowered if its just better than the consoles that were released 6-7 years ago

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LastRambo341

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

AcidThunder

people are not gonna buy the Wii U just to play Mario Kart or Smash bros. so they are not gonna convert any gamer
and i know a console is severly underpowered if its just better than the consoles that were released 6-7 years ago

People buy Nintendo consoles mainly for Nintendo games, which is why they sell more than 3rd party games Ah, so its an assumption? Don't expect a PS2 to PS3 leap for the Ps4 and 720. Heck, the full power and graphical potential of the WiiU hasn't been revealed. Its just released lately :S
YoYo278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 YoYo278
Member since 2006 • 432 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]by the time nintendo releases all the heavy hitters, ps4/720 would have launched. Game over sheep.LastRambo341
That is what have been said to the 3DS when the Vita was released....oh wait

In all fairness, it wasn't Sony's fault the Vita failed. It was a combination of consumers making suprisingly misinformed decisions and retailers not stocking enough Vita's. I've had a Vita since launch and I couldn't be happier compared to if I'd owned a 3DS. 

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AcidThunder

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"] Nice audience? Did you see how games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. sell? Severly underpowered? How sure are you?LastRambo341

people are not gonna buy the Wii U just to play Mario Kart or Smash bros. so they are not gonna convert any gamer

People buy Nintendo consoles mainly for Nintendo games, which is why they sell more than 3rd party games Ah, so its an assumption? Don't expect a PS2 to PS3 leap for the Ps4 and 720. Heck, the full power and graphical potential of the WiiU hasn't been revealed. Its just released lately :S

people are getting bored of those same first party titles thats why the Wii U didn't sell well even with the release of NSMBU

you would have to be a die hard nintendo fan to still think that the "Wii U's full potential hasn't been realized yet". its running on 5 year old tech. games in the coming years may just look a little bit better but thats pretty much it.

and ps3 to ps4 may not be as big a leap as ps2 to ps3 but its still gonna be much more than the wii u

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17701 Posts

[QUOTE="SonyNintendoFan"][QUOTE="lx_theo"]

Madmangamer364

If you fail to learn from history, you're only doomed to repeat it.

That's all I'll say...

History always repeats itself cause we all eventually croak. Derp.