Is the Wii good or bad for the industry? You decide.

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Do you think the Wii is a good thing for the gaming industry, or do you believe it is bad for the industry? Make your opinions on this ongoing issue heard.

Be honest, and please provide a back-up to your opinion rather than just saying "Wii rules/sucks". I wanna know what the majority of SW thinks about this issue.

Is the Wii good or bad for the industry? What do you guys think?

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
I will just say it's not bad.
swaginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 swaginator
Member since 2003 • 3732 Posts
I think its bad simply because all nintendo did to the system was take gamecube parts overclock them, and add some ram. Then they added the new controller, and jacked up the price. Wham bam, no thanks nintendo. Keep it. I'll go with console manufacturers that are going to give me the best possible hardware for the best possible price. And the best possible games.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Uhg, how many times do we have to go over this exact same topic.

5 years from now, all of you are gonna feel very silly.

akai_reaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 akai_reaver
Member since 2004 • 7754 Posts

How is it bad for the gaming industry? |:

You would think it would only be good since many gamers out there are enjoying it.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

goblaa

Because we will all be waggling ?

swaginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 swaginator

You would think it would only be good since many gamers out there are enjoying it.

akai_reaver
It sets a bad precedent. That companies can just recycle systems add a controller and jack up the price. Your paying the more for a gamecube with a new controller.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 goblaa
[QUOTE="goblaa"]

Nike_Air

In some sense, most likely. At the very least MS will add tilt. Chances are the pointer will be copied as well by Sony and MS as it is by far the most important and useful feature on the wiimote.

I don't really see waggle being a big deal, but the pointer yes.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 goblaa
[QUOTE="akai_reaver"]

swaginator

It sets a bad precedent. That companies can just recycle systems add a controller and jack up the price. Your paying the more for a gamecube with a new controller.

But I don't care...so long as I'm getting cool games and so long as there's a reason for the update in hardware...be it a new proccessor or a new controller.

SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 SuperMario_46
Member since 2006 • 4960 Posts
It's good for the industry because it appeals to everyone, and at one point those casual kids who are playing WarioWare and Rayman will grow to play more complex games like Zelda, Metroid or Trauma Center, so the wii is actually expanding the industry and that's a good thing.
swaginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 swaginator
[QUOTE="swaginator"][QUOTE="akai_reaver"]

goblaa

But I don't care...so long as I'm getting cool games and so long as there's a reason for the update in hardware...be it a new proccessor or a new controller.

Well thats you, not me. I'm not willing to pay more for something i could have bought 5 years ago.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Definately good. It's at the forefront of expanding the market (consolewise) and is enjoying strong software sales for both hardcore and more casual/non-gamer titles.

The real benefit,though, is for developers. A full-budgeted Wii game, according to the president of THQ, costs about 1/4-1/2 less than the cost of a full-budgeted 360/PS3 game. This is because of the lack of HD and the familiar architecture, resulting in smaller dev teams, shorter dev cycles, and just plain cheaper development of games, which is great for developers and publishers struggling to turn a profit.
Then consider that you have even shorter and cheaper dev cycles for casual/non-gamer games, for which there is a healthy market on the Wii, unlike the PS3 and 360. This means there's a low-risk/high-return opprotunity available to developers. This helps everyone. For example, as detailed by it's CEO, Ubisoft, which recently had been struggling with financial problems, plans to use the revenue from it's casual line of games for the Wii to help finance hardcore games for all systems, including 360 and PS3. That's right. The Wii is helping devs to make games for the 360 and PS3. Now that's beneficial.

So it's good for Nintendo, it's good for developers, it's good for publishers, and it's even good for PS3/360 owners, even the ones who would rather have a root canal than express anything but loathing for the Wii. And if it's good for everyone, it must be good for the industry.
SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SuperMario_46
[QUOTE="akai_reaver"]

swaginator

If you could get over the hole "GC with a new controller" thing you'll see that it's actually a good thing, it's not a GC, it does many more things the GC couldn't do.

joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 joeamis
Member since 2003 • 3010 Posts
Its bad because all the casuals will get tired of it or forget about it and Wii Sports and other shallow titles will be their entire impression of videogames, and they will never buy or play another console again. They will believe they saw the best there was to offer (based on Wiihipe) and that gaming is just a gimmick/fad.
darkmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darkmario123
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts
Weren't you the guy who kept on saying the Wii is a fad and would stop selling in 2007?
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts
How about for once we talk about what is really bad for the industry, and that is microtransactions that are just going to become more and more prevalent as this generation roles on.
irelevent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 irelevent
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"][QUOTE="goblaa"]

goblaa

In some sense, most likely. At the very least MS will add tilt. Chances are the pointer will be copied as well by Sony and MS as it is by far the most important and useful feature on the wiimote.

nintendo didnt even make the technology in the wiimote, all they di was patent there own controller, like every other console creator! this is a common misconception!

joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 joeamis

Weren't you the guy who kept on saying the Wii is a fad and would stop selling in 2007?darkmario123

You talking to me? Another bad thing about the Wii is that its giving developers & publishers the incentive to put very little effort into their games and release casual cr@p and minigames.

swaginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 swaginator
How about for once we talk about what is really bad for the industry, and that is microtransactions that are just going to become more and more prevalent as this generation roles on.peaceful_anger
If the content is worth it, than the transactions don't bother me at all.
irelevent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 irelevent

also i honestly think it is bad for the industry. it puts games into the "for-kids" genre. which means more moms and dads will listen to the idiotic lies of Jack thompson, and we all know bad things happen when people take people like him serious.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 goblaa

How about for once we talk about what is really bad for the industry, and that is microtransactions that are just going to become more and more prevalent as this generation roles on.peaceful_anger

Or that console prices could keep getting higher and higher. Who wants to see a $800 PS4?

Or that dev costs will get higher. Who wants FF14 to come out 10 years after FF13 with ads in the game.

Or that games (not wii) are leaning more and more towards the hardcore only. Alienating 97% of the market, driving videogames into the same problem comic books ran into.

EDIT...meant prices, not sales

martingm1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 martingm1983
Member since 2006 • 396 Posts
Competition spurs better gaming technology and devlopment.
SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SuperMario_46

also i honestly think it is bad for the industry. it puts games into the "for-kids" genre. which means more moms and dads will listen to the idiotic lies of Jack thompson, and we all know bad things happen when people take people like him serious.

irelevent

What do kid games have to do with this, those are not games targeted at kids, they're meant to be for EVERYONE, from you to me to a little 6 year old, everyone can enjoy.

DaAznSaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaAznSaN
Member since 2003 • 5656 Posts

irelevent
Huh? If anything, Nintendo is helping shape parents' perceptions that video games aren't all blood and violence.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
I think its bad simply because all nintendo did to the system was take gamecube parts overclock them, and add some ram. Then they added the new controller, and jacked up the price. Wham bam, no thanks nintendo. Keep it. I'll go with console manufacturers that are going to give me the best possible hardware for the best possible price. And the best possible games. swaginator

Even at the expense of having competition?
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Expanding the video game industry isn't a bad thing its a good thing. The Wii is introducing new people to gaming. These people could develop tastes outside of Nintendo later on. Playstation, Xbox, PC, handhelds, they could branch off. I mean everyone who started with Nintendo didn't finish with Nintendo and vice versa.
FerdMertz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FerdMertz
Member since 2006 • 1034 Posts
it might be good for the industry, but it's bad for gamers like me that would rather be playing Bioshock or Dead Rising. if the Wii is a run away success this gen were going to see alot of cheesy girly party games and the only big budget games we'll see is pre-established franchises, why would publishers and devs want to risk millions of dollars on a new IP when they could make Raymond Raving Rabbits 8 for $700?
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 goblaa
[QUOTE="goblaa"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"][QUOTE="goblaa"]

irelevent

nintendo didnt even make the technology in the wiimote, all they di was patent there own controller, like every other console creator! this is a common misconception!

What on Earth are you babeling about? I never claimed that they did. But the point is, they are going to inspire Sony and MS to add things like tilt and pointers to their hardware...nobody cares who made the tech (US Navy was the first to truely implement it) all we care about is howit will affect future games.

swaginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 swaginator
[QUOTE="swaginator"]I think its bad simply because all nintendo did to the system was take gamecube parts overclock them, and add some ram. Then they added the new controller, and jacked up the price. Wham bam, no thanks nintendo. Keep it. I'll go with console manufacturers that are going to give me the best possible hardware for the best possible price. And the best possible games. KungfuKitten

Yes.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="swaginator"]I think its bad simply because all nintendo did to the system was take gamecube parts overclock them, and add some ram. Then they added the new controller, and jacked up the price. Wham bam, no thanks nintendo. Keep it. I'll go with console manufacturers that are going to give me the best possible hardware for the best possible price. And the best possible games. swaginator

Yes.

O..k. I'll just leave it like that..
swaginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 swaginator
[QUOTE="swaginator"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="swaginator"]I think its bad simply because all nintendo did to the system was take gamecube parts overclock them, and add some ram. Then they added the new controller, and jacked up the price. Wham bam, no thanks nintendo. Keep it. I'll go with console manufacturers that are going to give me the best possible hardware for the best possible price. And the best possible games. KungfuKitten

Yes.

What do you want me too say. It's commendable that nintendo would put as little thought into creating a new system as possible? I'd rather Nintendo go 3rd party than to drive the industry into a massive minigame driven market. With little to no effort into producing awesome games.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="swaginator n KungfuKitten"](stuff)
swaginator
What do you want me too say. It's commendable that nintendo would put as little thought into creating a new system as possible? I'd rather Nintendo go 3rd party than to drive the industry into a massive minigame driven market. With little to no effort into producing awesome games.

You must feel lonely :|
akai_reaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 akai_reaver
Member since 2004 • 7754 Posts

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="swaginator"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="swaginator"]I think its bad simply because all nintendo did to the system was take gamecube parts overclock them, and add some ram. Then they added the new controller, and jacked up the price. Wham bam, no thanks nintendo. Keep it. I'll go with console manufacturers that are going to give me the best possible hardware for the best possible price. And the best possible games. swaginator

Yes.

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn are all Nintendo first party games that do look awesome. No effort? Lies.

joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 joeamis

[QUOTE="swaginator"][QUOTE="swaginator n KungfuKitten"](stuff)
KungfuKitten

No he doesn't. I feel the same way.

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts

It's a good thing, the more money in the industry, the better, and Nintendo has done a great job in expanding the industry.

A disturbing trend I see is with sony, charging an outragous prices for it's systems, it isolates all but the most hardcore fans, and costs developers ridiculus amounts of money for development. I hope this trend doesn't keep up, what if they end up charging $800 for a system next gen? This trend could ruin the industry.

swaginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 swaginator

[QUOTE="swaginator"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="swaginator"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="swaginator"]I think its bad simply because all nintendo did to the system was take gamecube parts overclock them, and add some ram. Then they added the new controller, and jacked up the price. Wham bam, no thanks nintendo. Keep it. I'll go with console manufacturers that are going to give me the best possible hardware for the best possible price. And the best possible games. akai_reaver

Yes.

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn are all Nintendo first party games that do look awesome. No effort? Lies.

Yeah, first party is ok. But what about 3rd party?
swaginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 swaginator
[QUOTE="swaginator"][QUOTE="swaginator n KungfuKitten"](stuff)
KungfuKitten

Why because i have an opinion? Please...
coolviper2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coolviper2003
Member since 2003 • 1915 Posts

You can bet Microsoft and Sony are taking note and watching Nintendo closely since the Wii is selling like hotcakes, and they are making a profit on everything. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft and Sony do something similar like Nintendo and make their next-gen consoles more affordable.That would gain them a larger user install base, thus creating bigger customer potential for third parties (as this seems to be a major concern with them now), meaning more games sold. But at the same time sacrificing processing power. I can see the PS4 being nothing more then a repackaged, slim-downed, overclocked PS3 with a redesigned interface (much like the Wii is to the Gamecube).

Dev costs are going through the roof as is, and if something isn't done it'll only get worse next generation if they continue to go the route of trying to cram the most advanced hardware into a box. So, to answer your question if the Wii is good or bad for the industry, I can't make that call. I mean It is letting non-gamers get a chance to play and enjoy games, and if that's a bad thing then I don't know what to say. But if it changes how next-gen consoles will be like, then that's personal opinion.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
Its a good thing for the industry because if nintendo tried to do what MS and Sony are doing they would fail just like what happend with the gamecube. Thus causing Nintendo to go out of business, just make games for sony and MS, or merge with another company. So really Nintendo didn't have much of a choice they had to make a major change or face failure.
irelevent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 irelevent
[QUOTE="irelevent"]

DaAznSaN

Huh? If anything, Nintendo is helping shape parents' perceptions that video games aren't all blood and violence.

nintendo would have you think that. however the reality is that after having they're kid play a game made for 4 year olds the federal games regulator will think like this "games are being played by 5-6 year olds, we cant have these terrible evil games corrupting our childrens minds"

afmsquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 afmsquid
Member since 2006 • 1623 Posts
Wii is great. Developers can now hire their B teams to create games for the Wii quickly and cheaply. sell them, and make profit to make the masterpieces created by the A teams for the PC, 360 and PS3. Thanks Nintendo!
Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts

It's a good thing, the more money in the industry, the better, and Nintendo has done a great job in expanding the industry.

A disturbing trend I see is with sony, charging an outragous prices for it's systems, it isolates all but the most hardcore fans, and costs developers ridiculus amounts of money for development. I hope this trend doesn't keep up, what if they end up charging $800 for a system next gen? This trend could ruin the industry.

yoshi-lnex

This is exactly what could happen. Well said man. I don't think most people see the trend and the difference between gaming 15 years ago and no. Consoles in the late 80s early 90s came packed typically with at least 2 controllers and a game. I think PSX was the first system to my knowledge to be very expensive packed with no game..but a demo. After that I only seen consoles prices rising to monstronous prices. Its ridiculous.

$400-$500 for a system? Sick..Nintendo did something good this generation by somewhat restoring what gaming was during the golden era. Which is why their console is #1.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Yeah, first party is ok. But what about 3rd party?swaginator
Sonic and the Secret Rings (first good console Sonic since the Dreamcast), Zack & Wiki, Manhunt 2, No More Heroes, Project O, Trauma Center: New Blood, Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, NiGHTS, and others. Third party has been slower to materialize, but that's because almost all third parties were sleeping on the Wii until some time between E3 2006 and launch. In this day and age it takes quite a while to make a quality game, but third parties appear to be shaping up quite well. Either way, it's far from the minigame/partygame fest you make it sound like.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
Good, Its keeping prices down, its something different, It is helping bring new people into the industry, it keeps things open for small new and indy devs on consoles, and it has nintendos great first party games.
Shift05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shift05
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts

yoshi-lnex

Why does everyone over look the 360 its able to provide hardware greater than last gen hardware and only cost $50 more than the Wii. If anything the people that are overcharging their systems are nintendo and Sony.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Good, because most people are forgetting the fact that casual gamers aren't casual forever.

They evolve into hardcore gamers, which is why Nintendo keeps franchises like Metroid and Zelda around. More casual gamers leads to more hardcore gamers, and an overall bigger market. A bigger market means more games.
Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts
[QUOTE="yoshi-lnex"]

Shift05

Why does everyone over look the 360 its able to provide hardware greater than last gen hardware and only cost $50 more than the Wii. If anything the people that are overcharging their systems are nintendo and Sony.

Because a 360 without a HDD is absolutely worthless, thats why its not being mentioned.

peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts
[QUOTE="peaceful_anger"]How about for once we talk about what is really bad for the industry, and that is microtransactions that are just going to become more and more prevalent as this generation roles on.swaginator
If the content is worth it, than the transactions don't bother me at all.

So you are ok with the fact that you would spend $60 for a game, and then shell out even more money just to unlock features and extra content that are already built in the disc that should be free and available to begin with?

I'm not about to buy a $60 racer and only have 10 cars and 5 tracks available from the get go, while all the rest of the stuff that should be available from the beginning is locked away untill I shell out more money for it.

I'm not about to buy a $60 shooter and only have normal mode of play, a few weapons/vehicles, and one multiplayer mode and 5 multiplayer maps available, while hard/expert mode, the better weapons/vehicles, other online modes and multiplayer maps are already on the disc locked away.

Seriously, if you don't think microtransactions are bad, then the gaming industry is sure going to crash and burn.

Microtransactions FTL
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 goblaa
[QUOTE="yoshi-lnex"]

Shift05

Right. Only $50 more with no memory or online.

I admit though, MS has done a great job offering a powerful machine at a decent price. They still need to get it down to sub $300 for it to be a great price, but still.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

I really don't know either way. It's not making my hardcore games any better, and gaining money from casual sales doesn't encourage hardcore development...

I suppose exposure to more people is a good thing, but it's only moving in a different direction if most of the focus is on making games as simple and wide-appealing as possible. Sometimes, catering to everyone isn't a good thing. But I don't know if this is the case.